PDA

View Full Version : Ozzie And Dansby

BeanieAntics
04-04-2019, 01:32 PM
Have they finally figured out the issues that plagued them at the plate? I'd like to see some advanced data on their early results. Obviously small sample applies, but if they really have turned in to the hitters that we want them to be, we are going to have one of the best offenses in baseball.

Hudson2
04-04-2019, 01:53 PM
I’d say a lot of it is gonna depend on Dansbys wrist. He’s hitting to the right side with power and showing why he was the #1 pick. If his wrist stays healthy then this is probably the real Dansby.

Bravesfannchar
04-04-2019, 01:56 PM
I’d say a lot of it is gonna depend on Dansbys wrist. He’s hitting to the right side with power and showing why he was the #1 pick. If his wrist stays healthy then this is probably the real Dansby.

Was very concerned when he rolled said wrist last night...

UNCBlue012
04-04-2019, 02:01 PM
Was very concerned when he rolled said wrist last night...

I think everyone was. Dude looks REALLY good right now. He's hitting it all over the field and showing authority in his swing. Of course, the way his injury was handled last year gives us all a little worry, but hey, he could be completely serious about it being fine.

GeorgiaGirl
04-04-2019, 02:15 PM
It's worth mentioning that Ozzie never had problems vs LHP and Lester is a LHP, although the start has been good vs RHP too. It was just a frigid, frigid half vs RHP. So frigid a change was needed, and it happened.

They both lowered their hands (Ozzie did just lefty though) and we need a bigger sample size than 5 games to see how that looks before determining everything. Positive start however there.

CJ9
04-04-2019, 02:17 PM
The most encouraging thing I've seen is Ozzie being willing to take some walks. If that continues, I'm really happy.

BeanieAntics
04-04-2019, 02:32 PM
The most encouraging thing I've seen is Ozzie being willing to take some walks. If that continues, I'm really happy.

Yeah that would be huge. Not only would it help his OBP, but him being more selective will allow him to really start to hammer mistakes that pitchers make. I'm very encouraged by his early progress. And Dansby's hot start coupled with his spring is an immense development for us. If that wrist can stay healthy and he really has made the necessary adjustments to hit well, our offense is gonna be insane.

bravesfanMatt
04-04-2019, 02:47 PM
Dansby has been more selective at the plate too. Seen a few ABs where he laid off good sliders biting down. Last night Lester threw one biting down and in that he took for a walk.

The Chosen One
04-04-2019, 03:03 PM
If Ozzie gets anywhere close to his hot first few months of last year, with new plate discipline and less pop ups... :pound:

Enscheff
04-04-2019, 03:11 PM
Albies has a 1.000 BABIP as a RHH. If he keeps that up I think he’ll be ok

bravesfanMatt
04-04-2019, 03:28 PM
Albies has a 1.000 BABIP as a RHH. If he keeps that up I think he’ll be ok

What is that not sustainable?

msstate7
04-04-2019, 03:41 PM
What is that not sustainable?
I think it'll settle around .800

nsacpi
04-04-2019, 03:46 PM
I think it'll settle around .800

I take the over

BeanieAntics
04-07-2019, 03:25 PM
Bumped because my God have these two been good so far. Dansby is legitimately looking like an All Star.

thewupk
04-07-2019, 03:31 PM
Bumped because my God have these two been good so far. Dansby is legitimately looking like an All Star.

You mean MVP

bravesfanMatt
04-07-2019, 03:35 PM
Monsters

UNCBlue012
04-07-2019, 03:35 PM
8================D ~~~~

Dalyn
04-07-2019, 03:46 PM
Like both of them a lot, especially Albies. This is one of my favorite recent infields with Donaldson, Swanson, Albies, and Freeman.

AerchAngel
04-07-2019, 03:52 PM
Like both of them a lot, especially Albies. This is one of my favorite recent infields with Donaldson, Swanson, Albies, and Freeman.

Josh has been hitting ropes.

When they go airborne, in the stands, and it will not be cheap either.

I hope Scheff can give the exit velocity on his hits.

thethe
04-07-2019, 06:13 PM
What are we looking at with Dansby for an extension? He has three arby years left and is in his age 25 season. What would it take to buy out 2-3 years of FA at this point in time?

Could we still get a valuation of 2 WAR per season and therefore the FA years are around 15M depending on market rates currently?
5 year 54 million with a 1 year option of 15M work?

nsacpi
04-07-2019, 06:32 PM
I'm happy to extent Dansby at the going rate for a 2 WAR player once he's put up a couple 3 WAR seasons.

thethe
04-07-2019, 06:55 PM
I'm happy to extent Dansby at the going rate for a 2 WAR player once he's put up a couple 3 WAR seasons.

Why would he sign for 2 WAR coming off the heels of a 3WAR season in his age 25 season?

thewupk
04-07-2019, 08:30 PM
Why would he sign for 2 WAR coming off the heels of a 3WAR season in his age 25 season?

Why would Acuna?

bravesfanMatt
04-07-2019, 08:51 PM
Why would Acuna?

Acuña and Swanson are not in the same situation financially. Swanson can bet on himself being closer to arb1 already and getting big draft money. That said, We can probably extend him for around 2 war if we garauntee him up to his 30’s. But using Acuña as an example was not good.

thethe
04-07-2019, 08:51 PM
Why would Acuna?

Dansby has money already

Acuña’s Bat Flip
04-07-2019, 09:10 PM
Dansby has money already

Somebody gave up on Swanson after the first two games this season in my ESPN fantasy keeper league, I couldn’t decide how much to bid on him in Free Agency so I went $10 to be sure I got him. Inflation is $5 each year for keepers, he could still be a steal and I could afford to keep him for five or six more years after this season.

Enscheff
04-07-2019, 09:42 PM
Josh has been hitting ropes.

When they go airborne, in the stands, and it will not be cheap either.

I hope Scheff can give the exit velocity on his hits.

Anyone can go to baseball savant and look up the exit velocity on all batted balls.

The ball JD hit to 3b today looked like it was smoked. I’ll be checking it for sure tomorrow.

CyYoung31
04-07-2019, 10:09 PM
Anyone can go to baseball savant and look up the exit velocity on all batted balls.

The ball JD hit to 3b today looked like it was smoked. I’ll be checking it for sure tomorrow.

The ball he hit on the double looked like it was shot out of a cannon.

BeanieAntics
04-07-2019, 10:22 PM
The ball he hit on the double looked like it was shot out of a cannon.

He also got out in front on one ball and still almost hit it out. The dude has a tremendous amount of force in that bat. He's gonna be just fine.

CyYoung31
04-07-2019, 10:36 PM
And as expected it was the hardest hit ball of the game at 110 MPH.

bravesfanMatt
04-07-2019, 10:41 PM
And as expected it was the hardest hit ball of the game at 110 MPH.

The double?

CyYoung31
04-07-2019, 10:52 PM
The double?

Yes.

nsacpi
04-08-2019, 06:57 AM

he doesnt have to...but I hear he loves the braves

msstate7
04-08-2019, 07:03 AM

Probably bc he wants to be a part of the 5 straight WS titles

CyYoung31
04-08-2019, 07:39 AM
Probably bc he wants to be a part of the 5 straight WS titles

What would be more impressive, 3 straight WS titles, or 14 straight division titles?

bravesfanMatt
04-08-2019, 07:45 AM
What would be more impressive, 3 straight WS titles, or 14 straight division titles?

Is this a serious question?

Carp
04-08-2019, 07:45 AM
Let's see where he finishes the year before we talk about extension. I'd only be willing to guarantee up til his age 30 season. Unless he shows to be a legit 4-5 fWAR player this year (unlikely) I'd rather just go year to year.

CyYoung31
04-08-2019, 08:33 AM
Is this a serious question?

Yes.

msstate7
04-08-2019, 08:39 AM
Let's see where he finishes the year before we talk about extension. I'd only be willing to guarantee up til his age 30 season. Unless he shows to be a legit 4-5 fWAR player this year (unlikely) I'd rather just go year to year.

If he's a 4-5fWAR player, he won't be signing a friendly extension.

bravesfanMatt
04-08-2019, 08:47 AM

A 2 to 3 win player For a mid market team is just fine. A 2 to 3 when player on the team friendly contract for a mid market team is smart. A 2 to 3 when player on the team friendly deal with the potential to be 845 when player on any given year is brilliant. If we can Lock up Dansby on a deal through his 30s valuing him at two wins then it needs to be done

bravesfanMatt
04-08-2019, 08:49 AM
Yes.

Well 14 division titles is impressive. But Anyone who thinks three straight World Series titles is less impressive probably has a screw loose. I would trade five of those division titles for another World Series victory

nsacpi
04-08-2019, 08:51 AM
A 2 to 3 win player For a mid market team is just fine. A 2 to 3 when player on the team friendly contract for a mid market team is smart. A 2 to 3 when player on the team friendly deal with the potential to be 845 when player on any given year is brilliant. If we can Lock up Dansby on a deal through his 30s valuing him at two wins then it needs to be done

signing any type of player to a team friendly deal is good business...it can come in many sizes and shapes...see Donaldson, McCann, Markakis and Acuna for recent examples of team friendly deals

#value

corollary: I'm not opposed to signing Kimbrel...or extending Swanson...depends on the details

bravesfanMatt
04-08-2019, 08:53 AM
signing any type of player to a team friendly deal is good business...it can come in many sizes and shapes...see Donaldson, McCann, Markakis and Acuna for recent examples

#value

corollary: I'm not opposed to signing Kimbrel...depends on the details

I don’t quite agree with this but I see what you’re saying. A team of players that are 1 to 2 wins on great team friendly deals is not good for any team

nsacpi
04-08-2019, 08:57 AM
A team of players that are 1 to 2 wins on great team friendly deals is not good for any team

True. Carried to its extreme chasing value can lead to absurd outcomes. But that's not what I'm talking about. In practice seeking value will lead to a variety of deals. See Donaldson, McCann, Markakis and Acuna for recent examples. They are not all 1-2 wins players on team friendly deals.

bravesfanMatt
04-08-2019, 08:59 AM
True. Carried to its extreme chasing value can lead to absurd outcomes. But that's not what I'm talking about. In practice seeking value will lead to a variety of deals. See Donaldson, McCann, Markakis and Acuna for recent examples. They are not all 1-2 wins players on team friendly deals.

Which is why I said I see what you’re saying. Any contending team is going to have their above average player that kind of fill out the roster and having those said players on very team friendly deals is a good way to build a team

bravesfanMatt
04-08-2019, 09:06 AM
I think what I am saying is we need to lock up both Ozzie and Dans ASAP. Monsters!!!

Carp
04-08-2019, 09:29 AM

After 1 season? I would think he'd be smart enough to realize that in this market, for a player like him, he's unlikely to ever get more 60-75 million guaranteed. If he finishes the year around 4fWAR, I'd extend him and buyout a year or 2 of FA. But probably not for over 60 million. Unless the market changes, I think the Jean Segura extension (5/70) is about the best he could hope for even if he reached FA.

nsacpi
04-08-2019, 09:31 AM
After 1 season? I would think he'd be smart enough to realize that in this market, for a player like him, he's unlikely to ever get more 60-75 million guaranteed. If he finishes the year around 4fWAR, I'd extend him and buyout a year or 2 of FA. But probably not for over 60 million. Unless the market changes, I think the Jean Segura extension (5/70) is about the best he could hope for even if he reached FA.

As a rough rule, if a player is coming off a 4 WAR season or two 3 WAR seasons, I'd be willing to extent him at the going rate for a 2 WAR player (with appropriate adjustments for aging).

bravesfanMatt
04-08-2019, 10:53 AM
Dansby will be arb1 next year. I think any extension starts there. I would say you could buy out his 3 arb years for 20-25 million. Then see about 2 team options or 1 more garauntee year with 1 team option. Probably around 15 per. Basically 5 year deal for 50/60 million if option(s) are picked up

nsacpi
04-08-2019, 11:06 AM
Dansby will be arb1 next year. I think any extension starts there. I would say you could buy out his 3 arb years for 20-25 million. Then see about 2 team options or 1 more garauntee year with 1 team option. Probably around 15 per. Basically 5 year deal for 50/60 million if option(s) are picked up

That's a reasonable deal if he's able to put up a 4 WAR season in 2019.

bravesfanMatt
04-08-2019, 11:08 AM
That's a reasonable deal if he's able to put up a 4 WAR season in 2019.

I would do that before then end of year personally.

nsacpi
04-08-2019, 11:12 AM
I would do that before then end of year personally.

If his agent approached the club tomorrow, I wouldn't offer that kind of deal. I'd offer something about half of what your proposed. Big difference between what I'd be willing to offer Dansby now and Dansby after a 4 WAR season.

bravesfanMatt
04-08-2019, 11:14 AM
If his agent approached the club tomorrow, I wouldn't offer that kind of deal. I'd offer something about half of what your proposed.

Tomorrow. I would. But it would be closer to 50 than 60 and probably want the two options.

CyYoung31
04-08-2019, 11:58 AM
Well 14 division titles is impressive. But Anyone who thinks three straight World Series titles is less impressive probably has a screw loose. I would trade five of those division titles for another World Series victory

It’s a fair question. With any World Series run, there’s a bit of small sample randomness, which is one of the things that make it so unlikely in this day and age. That transpiring 3 consecutive times, as well as being good enough for it to happen, is impressive from an odds perspective. But, being the best team in your division (as well as the best team in your league most years) over a decade-and-a-half stretch is also, obviously, extremely impressive. I don’t think it’s a simple answer, and is very subjective.

BeanieAntics
04-08-2019, 12:01 PM
If his agent approached the club tomorrow, I wouldn't offer that kind of deal. I'd offer something about half of what your proposed. Big difference between what I'd be willing to offer Dansby now and Dansby after a 4 WAR season.

If his agent approached us tomorrow I would offer something like a 3/20 deal with two option years at 12 million a piece with a 3 million dollar buyout. That may be a tad light, but that is what I would offer at this point. It probably makes more sense to wait until the end of the year to do something though.

nsacpi
04-08-2019, 12:04 PM
If his agent approached us tomorrow I would offer something like a 3/20 deal with two option years at 12 million a piece with a 3 million dollar buyout. That may be a tad light, but that is what I would offer at this point. It probably makes more sense to wait until the end of the year to do something though.

Sounds about right. Keep it light until Dansby puts up the numbers.

bravesfanMatt
04-08-2019, 12:17 PM
It’s a fair question. With any World Series run, there’s a bit of small sample randomness, which is one of the things that make it so unlikely in this day and age. That transpiring 3 consecutive times, as well as being good enough for it to happen, is impressive from an odds perspective. But, being the best team in your division (as well as the best team in your league most years) over a decade-and-a-half stretch is also, obviously, extremely impressive. I don’t think it’s a simple answer, and is very subjective.

Sure it is a fair question. But imo it is a very simple answer. WS 3 times is more impressive. Being the best of five teams for 14 years is cool. But in the end being the best of 30 teams is cooler.

bravesfanMatt
04-08-2019, 12:31 PM

That is 5/~45 which is close to my 5/50. I think that is more likely what it would take. Dansby can afford to bet on himself that he will hit 3 wins this year. That will net him ~5 mil in arb 1. Then if he continues that production he will be getting close to 25 mill for all 3 arb years combined . I don’t see him buying that potential out plus 2 prime years without more garaunteed/bigger options.

jpx7
04-08-2019, 12:36 PM
Sure it is a fair question. But imo it is a very simple answer. WS 3 times is more impressive. Being the best of five teams for 14 years is cool. But in the end being the best of 30 teams is cooler.

Is the WS winner the absolute best, or just the luckiest good team over an 11–20 game stretch? Seems an intractable question, hence Cy’s rightful equivocation.

msstate7
04-08-2019, 12:38 PM
Is the WS winner the absolute best, or just the luckiest good team over an 11–20 game stretch? Seems an intractable question, hence Cy’s rightful equivocation.

If you're the luckiest team 3 years in a row, it's probably more than luck

jpx7
04-08-2019, 01:13 PM
If you're the luckiest team 3 years in a row, it's probably more than luck

The big achievement is being good enough over 486 games to reach the playoffs thrice consecutively. The smaller achievement, it seems to me, is being good-plus-lucky enough over 33-60 games—but it definitely starts getting much closer to a normative sample.

CyYoung31
04-08-2019, 01:45 PM
There’s a reason I used 3 in the comparison as opposed to the 5 number that msstate7 facetiously put out there. Obviously, winning 5 straight WS would be insane in this day and age. But I believe 3 consecutive WS and 14 straight division titles are pretty comparable.

nsacpi
04-08-2019, 01:52 PM
how often has a baseball team won 14 straight division titles?

how often has a team won 3 straight world series?

the prosecution rests its case

jpx7
04-08-2019, 01:56 PM
There’s a reason I used 3 in the comparison as opposed to the 5 number that msstate7 facetiously put out there. Obviously, winning 5 straight WS would be insane in this day and age. But I believe 3 consecutive WS and 14 straight division titles are pretty comparable.

Agreed—I do think it’s where the comparison starts to get interesting.

But, for perspective: being the best of a five-team division over fourteen seasons is a 2268-game sample (though obviously, for the Braves, the strike and divisional realignment means the sample and its stakes are slightly different). Meanwhile, competing in fourteen straight postseasons (under current postseason format) is still only between ~0.9-1.7 seasons worth of a sample.

bravesfanMatt
04-08-2019, 02:07 PM
how often has a baseball team won 14 straight division titles?

how often has a team won 3 straight world series?

the prosecution rests its case

The question was most impressive not more statistically likely. Defense rest it’s case.

nsacpi
04-08-2019, 02:26 PM
The question was most impressive not more statistically likely. Defense rest it’s case.

oh I understand...there are some things like losing a record number of games that are statistically unlikely but not impressive

but the question was comparing two things that involve excellence...and the one that is more rare statistically SHOULD be considered more impressive

nothing further your honor

4maddux_cy's
04-08-2019, 02:31 PM
Anyone else put an asterisk on that 14 because of 1994? I always feel weird about that one.

Southcack77
04-08-2019, 02:40 PM
Anyone else put an asterisk on that 14 because of 1994? I always feel weird about that one.

Nah, The Braves came from 10.5 down after the break in 1993, so I don't feel bad shafting the Expos. We don't know what would have happened.

bravesfanMatt
04-08-2019, 02:56 PM
oh I understand...there are some things like losing a record number of games that are statistically unlikely but not impressive

but the question was comparing two things that involve excellence...and the one that is more impressive SHOULD be the one that is more difficult to accomplish

nothing further your honor

Then I motion to throw out data of historical records. Saying look how many times team won 3 straight WS vs 14 division titles is not comparable because the divisions were split in 94 and thus making it easier to win a division title. In fact the Braves streak would have ended after only 9 titles if all things stayed the same. Because the Giants has the better record in 2000.

It is clear winning a division of 5 teams is much less impressive. And although 14 has never been matched there also has not been the historical opportunity given to reach such feats.

Southcack77
04-08-2019, 03:11 PM
Then I motion to throw out data of historical records. Saying look how many times team won 3 straight WS vs 14 division titles is not comparable because the divisions were split in 94 and thus making it easier to win a division title. In fact the Braves streak would have ended after only 9 titles if all things stayed the same. Because the Giants has the better record in 2000.

It is clear winning a division of 5 teams is much less impressive. And although 14 has never been matched there also has not been the historical opportunity given to reach such feats.

So prior to the Braves getting 14, the previous record was 5.

So even if you want to not count the last 5 division titles for ... reasons .... the Braves still shattered the prior record with the 9 you feel comfortable crediting them with.

As for it being easier than it used to be, the longest postseason appearance streak since the Braves/Yankees streaks ended is the Dodgers current 6 year streak (which happens to be 6 Division Titles as well).

No one else has gotten more than 5 consecutive postseasons.

So the Braves success remains singular.

In contrast, four teams have won three consecutive World Series.

If you asked me which one I would rather have, I'd take the titles. If you asked me which was harder to do, no question I'd pick the divisions.

nsacpi
04-08-2019, 03:18 PM
So prior to the Braves getting 14, the previous record was 5.

So even if you want to not count the last 5 division titles for ... reasons .... the Braves still shattered the prior record with the 9 you feel comfortable crediting them with.

As for it being easier than it used to be, the longest postseason appearance streak since the Braves/Yankees streaks ended is the Dodgers current 6 year streak (which happens to be 6 Division Titles as well).

No one else has gotten more than 5 consecutive postseasons.

So the Braves success remains singular.

In contrast, four teams have won three consecutive World Series.

If you asked me which one I would rather have, I'd take the titles. If you asked me which was harder to do, no question I'd pick the divisions.

thank you counselor

bravesfanMatt
04-08-2019, 03:24 PM
I would like to ask for continuance to consult my research department.

Carp
04-08-2019, 03:44 PM

Much rather win 3 straight. Shoot I'd trade the next 10 years if we could win it all this year.

Acuña’s Bat Flip
04-08-2019, 03:53 PM
I'm sure this is a make or break year for Ozzie. I could see the organization making him an exclusively RHH if he has a second half nosedive like last season.

BeanieAntics
04-08-2019, 03:54 PM
Here is a question, would you rather make the playoffs and have a competitive team for 10 years straight with only a 5% chance of winning the World Series or have one year with a 95% chance of winning the World Series, but its guaranteed that you'll be terrible for the next 9 years.

I like scruples questions like these lol

Nerfherders
04-08-2019, 03:58 PM
I would trade all the years for one World Series title. That's the goal of this whole process, man!

Southcack77
04-08-2019, 04:14 PM
Here is a question, would you rather make the playoffs and have a competitive team for 10 years straight with only a 5% chance of winning the World Series or have one year with a 95% chance of winning the World Series, but its guaranteed that you'll be terrible for the next 9 years.

This is basically would rather be the 90s Braves or have the Marlins 2 titles.

Easy call. Braves. If you can find a Marlins fan who is honest, they'd probably agree.

Southcack77
04-08-2019, 04:15 PM
I would trade all the years for one World Series title. That's the goal of this whole process, man!

We did win one. If we had not won the one, it might be a different calculation.

I'd rather be the 90s-00s Yankees, but not many orgs I would trade with.

nsacpi
04-08-2019, 04:16 PM
This is basically would rather be the 90s Braves or have the Marlins 2 titles.

Easy call. Braves. If you can find a Marlins fan who is honest, they'd probably agree.

Yup. Easy call for me too between Marlins and Braves over that period.

Plus I think the way the team is currently set up, we can maximize our chances for winning a world series (or multiple WS for that matter) by trying to keep that window open as long as possible. The rebuild (as much through luck as design) has gone about as well as could be hoped for. You have players willing to take below market deals to play for the Braves. We just have to trust the process (which will include some moves to shore up the pen this mid-season).

CyYoung31
04-08-2019, 04:19 PM

10 years of playoffs with a chance to win it all every year, no question. I consider sustainability the ultimate measure of success.

Enscheff
04-08-2019, 04:20 PM

Give me 10 years of having a team worth cheering.

A championship doesn't change my life in any way compared to just making the playoffs. Having 10 years of baseball worth watching certainly makes my life better.

bravesfanMatt
04-08-2019, 04:28 PM
I would like to ask for continuance to consult my research department.

Ok. I still think we have to throw historical out. The Yankees did it twice before 1950. There were only 16 total teams then and one playoff series. Those two have to be thrown out. Then the A’s did it in the 70s. 1 year was a strike year and again the total teams came to 24 with only two rounds of playoffs. Today’s game is much harder to accomplish back to back WS much less 3 straight titles. I would like to argue that we will see 10 straight division titles before we ever see 3 straight WS winners. However I think both are likely not to happen with the way teams turnover now.

So I again ask to strike historical data based on apples to oranges comparison.

BeanieAntics
04-08-2019, 05:06 PM
10 years of playoffs with a chance to win it all every year, no question. I consider sustainability the ultimate measure of success.

Agreed. That is one of the reasons why I'm so happy we've been able to build a winner while keeping a basically intact farm system that is among the best in baseball. I think we should have an exceptionally large window of contention, especially now that we have Acuna locked up long term.

BeanieAntics
04-09-2019, 12:59 PM
Here is a fun O/U:

O/U 7 fWAR for Dansby and Ozzie combined this year.

bravesfanMatt
04-09-2019, 01:14 PM
Here is a fun O/U:

Well dansby will be 6.5 so I am going over.

nsacpi
04-09-2019, 01:20 PM
Here is a fun O/U:

bravesfanMatt
04-09-2019, 01:38 PM

What is Dansby’s fwar for 500.

nsacpi
04-09-2019, 01:42 PM
What is Dansby’s fwar for 500.

thethe
04-09-2019, 08:45 PM
As i was saying...its time to extent

thewupk
04-10-2019, 05:37 AM
Not sure it was mentioned since it was in the athletic but there was an article a few days ago about Chipper working with Swanson this off season to rebuild his approach. He mentioned how Swanson got abused by sliders and worked to correct that. And also believes Swanson can eventually be Jeter like offensively.

thethe
04-10-2019, 05:38 AM
Not sure it was mentioned since it was in the athletic but there was an article a few days ago about Chipper working with Swanson this off season to rebuild his approach. He mentioned how Swanson got abused by sliders and worked to correct that. And also believes Swanson can eventually be Jeter like offensively.

The natural question then follows....When is Chipper going to be our next manager?

thewupk
04-10-2019, 05:55 AM
The natural question then follows....When is Chipper going to be our next manager?

No idea but the guy is a hitting savant.

Enscheff
04-10-2019, 11:05 AM

That's the natural question after hearing "Chipper helped fix Swanson's offensive approach"?

BeanieAntics
04-10-2019, 11:37 AM
One of the biggest differences in our offense this year: As a team so far we have a 13.1 BB%. Last year we didn't have a single starter with a walk percentage that high.

jpx7
04-10-2019, 11:41 AM
That's the natural question after hearing "Chipper helped fix Swanson's offensive approach"?

I’d take him as a hitting coach any day, even though he’d probably create a PR embarrassment for the team once or twice a year in interviews or on twitter.

Enscheff
04-10-2019, 11:44 AM
I’d take him as a hitting coach any day, even though he’d probably create a PR embarrassment for the team once or twice a year in interviews or on twitter.

I purposely don't read anything he does or says to avoid losing respect for him as the player I remember.

The Chosen One
04-10-2019, 12:18 PM
No idea but the guy is a hitting savant.

Couldn't save Melvin Upton though.

nsacpi
04-10-2019, 12:42 PM
Couldn't save Melvin Upton though.

He never forgave Melvin for that line drive off his shin.

thewupk
04-11-2019, 10:54 AM
Swanson has an WOBA of 465 and an xWOBA of 451. Definately not sustainable but his numbers aren't a fluke. He's hitting the piss out of the ball.

MadduxFanII
04-11-2019, 11:17 AM
Chipper seems like a guy who enjoys his life away from baseball and occasionally parachuting in to talk hitting with one guy at a time. Make him the hitting coach and he'd probably last as long as George Brett did as the Royals' hitting coach.

Enscheff
04-11-2019, 11:25 AM
Swanson has an WOBA of 465 and an xWOBA of 451. Definately not sustainable but his numbers aren't a fluke. He's hitting the piss out of the ball.

Semantics aside, with a HR/FB normalized to 10%-15% and all else remaining exactly as it is now, his current slash line would go from .324/.419/.765 to around .265/.360/.470. Folks are underestimating just how much a few early HRs can inflate a batting line.

An .830 OPS from Swanson is quite different than his current OPS of nearly 1.200, but still a very valuable SS.

zitothebrave
04-11-2019, 11:50 AM
Semantics aside, with a HR/FB normalized to 10%-15% and all else remaining exactly as it is now, his current slash line would go from .324/.419/.765 to around .265/.360/.470. Folks are underestimating just how much a few early HRs can inflate a batting line.

An .830 OPS from Swanson is quite different than his current OPS of nearly 1.200, but still a very valuable SS.

With Swanson's defense a .830 OPS is an all-star player. Last year that's what Didi GRegorious was at and he was a 4 WAR player.

zitothebrave
04-11-2019, 11:55 AM

Probably never. Assuming he invested well he made 170M. He doesn't need to manage ever. I don't think he will. He gets to hang around the team and make some minor money. I think he'll probably get a Hank Aaron type of deal at some point where he makes like a million bucks a year just to kind of be around the team.

BeanieAntics
04-11-2019, 12:03 PM
With Swanson's defense a .830 OPS is an all-star player. Last year that's what Didi GRegorious was at and he was a 4 WAR player.

Yeah I'm just hoping that he turns into a player that can consistently put up an .800+ OPS. That would be an immensely valuable player for us.

zitothebrave
04-11-2019, 12:07 PM
Yeah I'm just hoping that he turns into a player that can consistently put up an .800+ OPS. That would be an immensely valuable player for us.

I mean 800+ OPS with plus defense is basically Xander Bogaerts. Nothing wrong at all with that.

BeanieAntics
04-11-2019, 12:13 PM
I mean 800+ OPS with plus defense is basically Xander Bogaerts. Nothing wrong at all with that.

Yep. And I've been fooled by a Dansby hot streak before, but there does seem to be something different and more sustainable about the current one. He's clearly making really good decisions at the plate.

nsacpi
04-11-2019, 12:34 PM

even a .750 OPS with solid SS defense would be a very good outcome

jpx7
04-11-2019, 12:46 PM
even a .750 OPS with solid SS defense would be a very good outcome

.700 SLG or bust.

thethe
04-11-2019, 01:03 PM
Probably never. Assuming he invested well he made 170M. He doesn't need to manage ever. I don't think he will. He gets to hang around the team and make some minor money. I think he'll probably get a Hank Aaron type of deal at some point where he makes like a million bucks a year just to kind of be around the team.

Definitely on point with this

smootness
04-11-2019, 02:03 PM

No one thinks he's going to sustain anything close to a 1.200 OPS.

An .830 OPS would be incredible from him this year.

Hudson2
04-11-2019, 02:18 PM
If Dansby were still swinging at junk and getting lucky and running into a few home runs I’d call it a fluke, but he just doesn’t look like the same hitter he was the last 2 years. Chipper has made a big difference thus far with Swanson.