PDA

View Full Version : The Braves are moving to Cobb County

Pages : [1] 2

COGPK
11-11-2013, 09:06 AM
http://www.mdjonline.com/view/full_story/24025051/article-Atlanta-Braves-moving-to-Cobb-County?instance=breaking_news

Knucksie
11-11-2013, 09:12 AM
Will have to include all the obligatory revenue generating amenities. Only 20 years though?

CrimsonCowboy
11-11-2013, 09:13 AM
Just saw it myself. Wow, if true.

Waiting on the AJC or another news organization to report on it.

COGPK
11-11-2013, 09:16 AM
http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/baseball/braves-plan-to-build-new-stadium-in-cobb/nbpNQ/

weso1
11-11-2013, 09:17 AM
That's a shocker. Turner Field still seems like a new stadium.

CrimsonCowboy
11-11-2013, 09:20 AM
http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/baseball/braves-plan-to-build-new-stadium-in-cobb/nbpNQ/

OK, now the story is legit.

Talk about coming out of the blue with this one. I mean, not even a whisper. The Braves and the others involved sure did a good job keeping this story quiet. Usually you have a rumor or two starting up. This, for me at least, a huge surprise.

COGPK
11-11-2013, 09:21 AM
It's about time a team realized that there are only 450,000 people in Atlanta and 5.5 million outside the city. This is great news!!

CrimsonCowboy
11-11-2013, 09:28 AM
So you have the Falcons who are leaving downtown Atlanta, now the Braves. Atlanta residents, you'll have to help me with this question, since I don't live there. I have always heard how much the area near and around downtown are awfully rough. Could this be a reason why they are making this move? I only ask that because

CrimsonCowboy
11-11-2013, 09:33 AM
Atlanta Braves ‏@Braves 9m

We are excited to announce plans to build a world-class stadium, which will open in 2017 at the NW intersection of I-75/I-285. #Braves

tomahawkchop
11-11-2013, 09:34 AM
So you have the Falcons who are leaving downtown Atlanta, now the Braves. Atlanta residents, you'll have to help me with this question, since I don't live there. I have always heard how much the area near and around downtown are awfully rough. Could this be a reason why they are making this move? I only ask that because

Can anyone in the Atlanta area add some insight as to what this move will mean for the Braves and their fans? Is this a better location (or more easily accessible) for attracting fans?

graffy

The Falcons aren't leaving downtown.

MadduxFanII
I want to echo Crimson's question. For those of us who followed the team through TBS and never lived in the Atlanta area, what does this mean? How does Cobb County compare? And, um, what the hell is Cobb County?

graffy
11-11-2013, 09:36 AM
Can anyone in the Atlanta area add some insight as to what this move will mean for the Braves and their fans? Is this a better location (or more easily accessible) for attracting fans?

It really depends on whether there are some plans in the work for a Cobb County MARTA line. I think that is the main thing the team didn't like about current location. Why bother being downtown if there isn't a viable public transit option? There have been rumors about a MARTA line up 75 starting from the new beltline project.

I certainly don't think this will hurt attendance (even without a new MARTA line). And you can bet the new stadium won't have 50k seats.

CrimsonCowboy
11-11-2013, 09:37 AM
The Falcons aren't leaving downtown.

Oh, I thought their new stadium was outside downtown.

PawPawMaxwell
11-11-2013, 09:40 AM
What I see happening is another 1 million attendees per year. Secondary benefits would undoubtedly if someway a new TV deal could be negotiated. Will the value of team increase to the point that Liberty would be more inclined to sell. Wonder if Home Depot guy (name escapes me) will get more interested.

Said on Hot Stove that lease expires on Turner Field in 3 years. For those not aware, Braves rent Turner Field for 10K per year from city of Atlanta. You can bet rent would have been going up.

CrimsonCowboy
11-11-2013, 09:42 AM
http://homeofthebraves.com/

Lenny
11-11-2013, 09:43 AM
that's very unexpected. For me it will be easier to drive to, but will there be parking? north west corner should be right on hwy 41. I can't think of a large plot of land in that spot that's empty.

PawPawMaxwell
11-11-2013, 09:46 AM
Metro Atlanta is not what one could call an area of affluence. Most of the population of the surrounding area is centered northeast and north of Atlanta outside the beltlines. Cobb County is the desired area outside the beltline. Most of the players live in Marrietta or Alpharetta tho several live in Peachtree City.

To be blunt, info for those who do not live or not familiar with Atlanta, Turner Field sits in the midst of a very large ghetto area.

graffy
11-11-2013, 09:48 AM
Here's a visual that explains why they are moving.

The new stadium will be situated in the heart of Braves Country. Each red dot on this map represents a ticket sold to a Braves game in 2012

http://homeofthebraves.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/TicketSales_Web.jpg

Bravephoton
11-11-2013, 09:49 AM
I want to echo Crimson's question. For those of us who followed the team through TBS and never lived in the Atlanta area, what does this mean? How does Cobb County compare? And, um, what the hell is Cobb County?

It gives better access to those living on the north side of Atlanta especially with 285 and 75. 7:00 starts, however, will be a nightmare for those coming from the south as they will sit in rush hour traffic to make the games.

This really seems to benefit those living and working north of the perimeter.

The advantage of Turner being at the hub of I-20 and 75/85 was the flexibility in routes to the stadium.

Time to invest in hotel real estate near the Galleria. :pimp:

Bravephoton
11-11-2013, 09:50 AM
Nice graphic!

MadduxFanII
11-11-2013, 09:54 AM
graffy, do you have a link to that map? It's great, and I want to share it.

graffy
New location.

http://homeofthebraves.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/site-plan-zoom-large.jpg

CrimsonCowboy
Had always thought that if the Olympics had not been in Atlanta in 1996, then a new ballpark would not have been in downtown. But with the games, it made it a convenient thing to do to just move the Braves into that park. Still though, big surprise.

graffy
11-11-2013, 09:55 AM
graffy, do you have a link to that map? It's great, and I want to share it.

It's all here.

http://homeofthebraves.com/overview/

mossy
11-11-2013, 09:56 AM
YES!!!

Five
11-11-2013, 10:03 AM
YES!!!

Seconded.

50PoundHead
11-11-2013, 10:13 AM
Had always thought that if the Olympics had not been in Atlanta in 1996, then a new ballpark would not have been in downtown. But with the games, it made it a convenient thing to do to just move the Braves into that park. Still though, big surprise.

My thought as well. The city of Atlanta got a two-fer in the Olympic construction.

Who is footing the bill for the new stadium?

I've only driven through Atlanta, but I've read that the transportation/parking situation at Turner is really terrible.

CrimsonCowboy
11-11-2013, 10:16 AM
Gradick Sports ‏@GradickSports 7m
The #Braves plan to move to Cobb involves $450M in private $$ arranged by county and $200M from team. Via: @bluestein

Mark Bowman ‏@mlbbowman 2m
According to the #Braves, Turner Field needs $150M in infrastructure work. But real issue seems to be location (traffic and parking)

MadduxFanII
11-11-2013, 10:17 AM
What does "private $$ arranged by county" mean? No taxpayer money?

Hawk
11-11-2013, 10:21 AM
This ... is crazy. City of Atlanta really **** the bed -- what's the point of driving downtown now?

CyYoung31
11-11-2013, 10:34 AM
I echo the sentiment that this is good news financially for the Braves. Still, it will be sad to see the Ted go, and much too soon. Say what you want about the area or getting there, but it's a great place to watch a baseball game.

Also, one thing that sucks about this is that I won't be able to hang around downtown as much when I go see a game. That was always a highlight of making the pilgrimmage out there.

wheresmykayak
11-11-2013, 10:39 AM
I actually live right off Cumberland Blvd, and I of course love the Braves, so this announcement is a pretty big deal to me.

I'm finding myself kind of torn, though.

On one side, awesome. While I actually really like Turner Field aesthetically, and there's not a bad view in the house (that I've found, anyway), anyone who's been to a game can probably agree that the logistics of getting there, and actual safety around the neighborhood, is really bad. And I like the idea of being within walking distance of watching a Braves game.

That being said, anyone who's been around the Cumberland/Vinings area could easily tell you that this will NOT be an upgrade in terms of gameday traffic. A friend of mine who's lived here longer than me still refuses to get on Cobb Parkway that much, because it's already pretty much gridlocked all day, every day. And they're putting it RIGHT ON that road!? I don't know who thought that was a good idea. Figures that they want it to be right off the interstate, but geez. This is not going to be pretty, folks.

If they wanted to build a new stadium, I really wish they'd gone for a location more like what they did for the Gwinnett Braves. Unless most of that red space on the map is going to be parking, the ease of going to a game is not going to be any better. In fact, it might even get worse. I hope they have some grand plan up their sleeve, because otherwise, I find myself getting skeptical by the minute.

Hawk
11-11-2013, 10:43 AM
That being said, anyone who's been around the Cumberland/Vinings area could easily tell you that this will NOT be an upgrade in terms of gameday traffic. A friend of mine who's lived here longer than me still refuses to get on Cobb Parkway that much, because it's already pretty much gridlocked all day, every day. And they're putting it RIGHT ON that road!? I don't know who thought that was a good idea. Figures that they want it to be right off the interstate, but geez. This is not going to be pretty, folks.

If they wanted to build a new stadium, I really wish they'd gone for a location more like what they did for the Gwinnett Braves. Unless most of that red space on the map is going to be parking, the ease of going to a game is not going to be any better. In fact, it might even get worse. I hope they have some grand plan up their sleeve, because otherwise, I find myself getting skeptical by the minute.

Where is the nearest MARTA spur? Would have to believe that (although this is not being mentioned yet) we'll see a MARTA line at or near the stadium.

CK86
11-11-2013, 10:47 AM
About had a heart attack when I first saw the headline on ESPN saying "Braves relocating".

JohnAdcox
11-11-2013, 10:55 AM
Where is the nearest MARTA spur? Would have to believe that (although this is not being mentioned yet) we'll see a MARTA line at or near the stadium.

Nowhere close, and no mention of adding anything, save the awful Cobb buses. Making this a mandatory car destination just seems irresponsible and short-sighted.

graffy
11-11-2013, 10:55 AM

There have been talks of a MARTA line to Cobb for years, but Cobb has always rejected the idea. With this coming, they may be more willing to consider it.

Garmel
11-11-2013, 11:15 AM
Any chance for a retractable roof? I see no mention of it.

zitothebrave
11-11-2013, 11:18 AM
That was always a highlight of making the pilgrimmage out there.

Hmmmm, didn't realize how great of a poster you were until just now.

Bravesfan205
11-11-2013, 11:18 AM
I would think they have to put a MARTA line directly to the new stadium or like others have said traffic/parking will be just as bad. I currently live on the southside so I am a little bummed about this plus I think the TED is a pretty good stadium.

CyYoung31
11-11-2013, 11:19 AM

I don't see the need. Not much rain, and doesn't get too cold during the bookend months of the baseball season.

graffy

Is there any need for a retractable roof? Do we have a major problem with any of the following issues:

1) Rain outs
2) Rain delays
3) Extreme temperatures

With the way they can drain the field these days, I don't see any need for a roof.

wheresmykayak

I've not actually taken MARTA around here, but I do know that there are lots of buses that run to Cumberland Mall and the Galleria. So it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to see buses running to the stadium, given how close it will be to those locations.

chopdrew
11-11-2013, 11:20 AM
As a local, I'm thrilled. The biggest deterrent to Turner Field has always been the area around Turner Field. Speaking frankly, a good portion of the Braves season ticket base doesn't feel comfortable walking through some of the areas required to get to Turner Field. I just hope when the new "mixed use" area is installed around the new ballpark, they don't forget the tailgate space.

yeezus
11-11-2013, 11:21 AM
I just really hope this helps attendance. Living right by Philly, the location and ease of CBP is a huge advantage to fans. I can take 2 trains for about 25 min total and be dropped off right at the sports complex. There's a huge sports bar right across from all of the stadiums there. Even driving, it's extremely accessible from pretty much all surrounding areas. Hopefully this makes it easier for our fans to get there.

yeezus
11-11-2013, 11:22 AM
As a local, I'm thrilled. The biggest deterrent to Turner Field has always been the area around Turner Field. Speaking frankly, a good portion of the Braves season ticket base doesn't feel comfortable walking through some of the areas required to get to Turner Field. I just hope when the new "mixed use" area is installed around the new ballpark, they don't forget the tailgate space.

Interesting. In Philly, like I said, all the sporting complexes are right in the same area. It's the sporting complex area, so it's really nice and I would walk around at 3 AM by myself if I had to.

zitothebrave
11-11-2013, 11:23 AM
I don't see the need. Not much rain, and doesn't get too cold during the bookend months of the baseball season.

Only plus is battling humidity. But I feel like sweating your ass off is part of the baseball experience.

NYCBrave
11-11-2013, 11:23 AM
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, I've only visited Atlanta a couple of times to go to Braves games (I'm from NYC), but it didn't seem like anyone used the MARTA line besides inner city folks who couldn't afford to own a car or didn't need one. I know I'm making a generalization and I don't mean to offend anyone, but I take the NYC subway every single day and I notice a much wider demographic of people using it than I did on MARTA. I used MARTA over 10 times when I was down there.

wheresmykayak
11-11-2013, 11:24 AM
As I said before, the only way I can see this working is if most of that space is for parking. If not, it's going to be awful. I literally live within walking distance of their proposed site, and I'm not sure if I'd brave it (no pun intended, ha) more than a few times a year unless they have a rock solid plan on how to ease traffic there.

Maybe this is why they've been pinching pennies the past few years.... I wonder what kind of renovations JS was talking about that would be that expensive. The stadium still looks nice to me.

Krovahn
11-11-2013, 11:26 AM
Awesome! Hopefully this move will increase attendance and the overall atmosphere of the team. I see this being a very good move.

Metaphysicist
11-11-2013, 11:30 AM

Most of Cobb County is gross; it's where you live if you are scared of cities and black people, but still want to trick people and tell them you live in Atlanta. Historically, it's where the Cherokee Nation was until we Trail of Tears'd them, so it's got that going for it. But this location is right on the perimeter, so it's not really all that far "outside" the city.

Part of the T-SPLOST that got voted down, if I recall correctly, was a rail line up I-75 right to this location. Even though that didn't pass, I would imagine that idea is still kicking around. And having the stadium there might kickstart that project back to life.

Who is footing the bill for the new stadium?

Taxpayers will surely be footing a good bit, and they will also surely be told that it will pay for itself in benefits, which will surely be false. Why don't we go see how much money Gwinnett made on their stadium...

I've only driven through Atlanta, but I've read that the transportation/parking situation at Turner is really terrible.

There is plenty of parking at Turner Field. It just goes on and on... however trying to drive out of the area after the game can be hellacious. And MARTA and Turner Field have had problems from the get go; the best option has often been to get off the train and walk for a mile or two.

That said, I can't imagine how the proposed location will be any better for traffic/parking. Yeah, it's near a major junction, but so is Turner. It's even farther from any extant MARTA line, and the surrounding surface streets can't really handle that load, as currently constructed.

Lenny
11-11-2013, 11:30 AM
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, I've only visited Atlanta a couple of times to go to Braves games (I'm from NYC), but it didn't seem like anyone used the MARTA line besides inner city folks who couldn't afford to own a car or didn't need one. I know I'm making a generalization and I don't mean to offend anyone, but I take the NYC subway every single day and I notice a much wider demographic of people using it than I did on MARTA. I used MARTA over 10 times when I was down there.

Your not far off with your assumption.

PawPawMaxwell
11-11-2013, 11:34 AM
Awesome! Hopefully this move will increase attendance and the overall atmosphere of the team. I see this being a very good move.
No question. If attendance increases as I expect it will, we may see the Braves become a large market team. Unless you are intimately familiar with the situation you have no idea how much of a positive impact this will have.

Only problem I have, I live in Western NC and my son lives in Peachtree City. It will be really difficult for me to justify buying the ticket packages I am used to.

Metaphysicist
11-11-2013, 11:34 AM

White, suburban population centers have consistently opposed MARTA expanding to them because then the scary black people would come rob them*. That's why only inner city folks use it: it doesn't go to a bunch of places where people actually live. Where it goes, people actually use it. I grew up lily-white in Decatur, worked for years as a car-owner in Midtown, and used MARTA quite often.

*that may not be the verbatim reason given

Lenny
11-11-2013, 11:35 AM
I wonder what kind of renovations JS was talking about that would be that expensive. The stadium still looks nice to me.

Not sure what all they want done except that one thing is an additional 5000 parking spaces that they've been trying to get for a few years now.

I wonder what will happen with the Ted for the next 3 years now? No incentive at all for Atlanta to take care of it and do any upgrades or maintenance. Then after 3 years what to do with it then?

CyYoung31
11-11-2013, 11:39 AM
Anyone else hoping they keep the Turner Field name? I'd hate for it to have a corporate handle.

Also hope they relocate Hank Aaron Drive.

graffy
11-11-2013, 11:39 AM
Not sure what all they want done except that one thing is an additional 5000 parking spaces that they've been trying to get for a few years now.

I wonder what will happen with the Ted for the next 3 years now? No incentive at all for Atlanta to take care of it and do any upgrades or maintenance. Then after 3 years what to do with it then?

As a landlord, the City is required to keep it in decent shape, though they clearly won't be doing any upgrades.

Unless there are hopes of a future olympic bid (which has been rumored), I can't imagine any solution other than tearing it down. It's not like the Gwinnett Braves will be moving south.

Metaphysicist
11-11-2013, 11:41 AM
Personally, I think this sucks. Traffic will still be a bitch, public transit will be worse, and I'll have to go to Cobb *shudder*. The only real benefit is that Braves' fans won't have be terrified by the poor black people near the current stadium. Turner Field is still a very nice stadium. I'd rather the team spend that $200 mil on the team.

That's just me, though. I think a majority of fans probably live north of the city, so this will probably be an improvement for most people.

graffy
11-11-2013, 11:41 AM
Anyone else hoping they keep the Turner Field name? I'd hate for it to have a corporate handle.

If it means a couple big FA signings, I'm all for a corporate handle.

Teheran_49
11-11-2013, 11:42 AM

That area near Turner Field is extremely dangerous and one of the roughest areas in the entire south east. It is full of crime and drugs no place paying fans want to take the family. It's not even a safe place during the broad day light let alone for night games. I applaud the move but wish it were in a better location like say Gwinnett. Unfortunately the Gwinnett Braves are in the perfect location as it is only a couple of miles from the Mall of Georgia but Gwinnett is the richest county in Georgia.

graffy
11-11-2013, 11:43 AM
Personally, I think this sucks. Traffic will still be a bitch, public transit will be worse, and I'll have to go to Cobb *shudder*. The only real benefit is that Braves' fans won't have be terrified by the poor black people near the current stadium. Turner Field is still a very nice stadium. I'd rather the team spend that $200 mil on the team.

That's just me, though. I think a majority of fans probably live north of the city, so this will probably be an improvement for most people.

Yep. It will upset people who live south of town or near Turner field, but this will help the majority and will improve attendance. Only having 42,000 seats will help too.

Krovahn
11-11-2013, 11:45 AM

I honestly hope they don't keep the name. Turner Field is just that, Turner field, their current home... this new place will never be that. I also hope for no corporate influence on the name either...

I'd love a 'plain' "Braves Field" name to be attached; or at least something of the like.

weso1
11-11-2013, 11:48 AM

I think you're jumping the gun a bit on the traffic thing. JS specifically mentioned that one of the main reasons for the move was to solve the traffic problem. Don't you think the Braves and Cobb County will come up with a solid traffic plan in three years? Also, it sounds like they really want to make this area a place people will really want to go to, so I'm guessing they'll get some public transport at some point. Of course most fans in the urban sprawl of Atlanta drive to the game anyway.

Maybe it's not good for you, but public transportation from Thailand to Atlanta would be too expensive.

weso1
11-11-2013, 11:49 AM
Chick Fil A stadium

Home Depot Field

Coca Cola Park

Delta Stadium

Let's hope it's the latter.

CyYoung31
11-11-2013, 11:49 AM

Honestly, my first thought was could they not just renovate the area and run the MARTA line directly to the stadium? Seems a lot more ideal.

*By renovate, I mean building some shops and restaurants around it, not giving the black people nicer places to live.

Krovahn
11-11-2013, 11:50 AM

This is a horribly racist assumption. It is just appalling.

It isn't about trying to get away from a certain race, it is about trying to get away from an area that not only has poor accessibility, but an area that is high in crime. A certain race =\= crime.

DaneHill
11-11-2013, 11:54 AM
Chick Fil A stadium

Home Depot Field

Coca Cola Park

Delta Stadium

Waffle House House?

Hawk
11-11-2013, 11:54 AM

It isn't about trying to get away from a certain race, it is about trying to get away from an area that not only has poor accessibility, but an area that is high in crime. A certain race =\= crime.

No offense, but have you ever been to Atlanta?

Edit: Then I think you would understand the joke.

NYCBrave
11-11-2013, 11:55 AM
I honestly hope they don't keep the name. Turner Field is just that, Turner field, their current home... this new place will never be that. I also hope for no corporate influence on the name either...

I'd love a 'plain' "Braves Field" name to be attached; or at least something of the like.

What is the story about why our current stadium is named Turner Field? Did Ted Turner finance it? I was under the impression it was built for the Olympics, did he pay to have his name attached, or because he was owner at the time did he get that luxury for free for the duration of the stadium?

Metaphysicist
11-11-2013, 11:55 AM
Don't you think the Braves and Cobb County will come up with a solid traffic plan in three years?

No.

Maybe it's not good for you, but public transportation from Thailand to Atlanta would be too expensive.

THANKS OBAMA.

Lenny
11-11-2013, 11:58 AM
"the Braves plan to sell stadium naming rights to a corporation"

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/9959440/atlanta-braves-leaving-turner-field-relocating-cobb-county-2017

stpeteirish
11-11-2013, 11:58 AM
Most of Cobb County is gross; it's where you live if you are scared of cities and black people, but still want to trick people and tell them you live in Atlanta. Historically, it's where the Cherokee Nation was until we Trail of Tears'd them, so it's got that going for it. But this location is right on the perimeter, so it's not really all that far "outside" the city.

Part of the T-SPLOST that got voted down, if I recall correctly, was a rail line up I-75 right to this location. Even though that didn't pass, I would imagine that idea is still kicking around. And having the stadium there might kickstart that project back to life.

Taxpayers will surely be footing a good bit, and they will also surely be told that it will pay for itself in benefits, which will surely be false. Why don't we go see how much money Gwinnett made on their stadium...

There is plenty of parking at Turner Field. It just goes on and on... however trying to drive out of the area after the game can be hellacious. And MARTA and Turner Field have had problems from the get go; the best option has often been to get off the train and walk for a mile or two.

That said, I can't imagine how the proposed location will be any better for traffic/parking. Yeah, it's near a major junction, but so is Turner. It's even farther from any extant MARTA line, and the surrounding surface streets can't really handle that load, as currently constructed.

But its north and that's where the fans live. Classic example of bringing your product to the customers, rather than the other way around.

Traffic will still be bad, but it'll be a shorter drive for most.

Metaphysicist
11-11-2013, 12:01 PM

The neighborhoods south of Turner Field are terrible. No denying that. But Braves fans don't actually have to go into those places, yet they still engage in rampant pearl-clutching when the "locals" try to sell them **** or talk to them on the way from the parking lot to the stadium.

I'm exaggerating the race issue, but I'm not making it up.

stpeteirish
11-11-2013, 12:03 PM

Not likely, AJC article says they'll be looking for a corporate sponsor. (also says it'll be open air, to answer another question raised). Turner Field will still exist. God know what the City of Atlanta is going to do with it.

Looks to me like the Braves did this quietly so the City wouldn't have a chance to keep them. Which is probably good for both sides.

Metaphysicist
11-11-2013, 12:03 PM
But its north and that's where the fans live. Classic example of bringing your product to the customers, rather than the other way around.

Traffic will still be bad, but it'll be a shorter drive for most.

Sure. I didn't say it wouldn't be a shorter trip. I think this location will be better for most current fans. But I don't see how the parking and traffic in that area will be better, and I can easily see it being worse.

wheresmykayak
11-11-2013, 12:04 PM
Yeah, not sure where all the black people are scary stuff is coming from. As I said, I live in Cobb, and it's roughly 50/50 in the population here.

Don't get me wrong, though. I think the current Turner Field is fine, for all its warts in the surrounding area. But clearly there were rumblings on the inside for it to reach this point. I wasn't even aware the Braves are only leasing the place.

I would've been more excited about Gwinnett, if they wanted to move out of Atlanta.

stpeteirish
11-11-2013, 12:11 PM
Yeah, not sure where all the black people are scary stuff is coming from. As I said, I live in Cobb, and it's roughly 50/50 in the population here.

Don't get me wrong, though. I think the current Turner Field is fine, for all its warts in the surrounding area. But clearly there were rumblings on the inside for it to reach this point. I wasn't even aware the Braves are only leasing the place.

I would've been more excited about Gwinnett, if they wanted to move out of Atlanta.

My impression is that Cobb County is overwhelmingly white.

And its wrong (edit) 30% black according to Wikipedia. 60% white, 10% other.

Metaphysicist
11-11-2013, 12:12 PM
As I said, I live in Cobb, and it's roughly 50/50 in the population here.

LOL, no it isn't. Maybe in your specific neighborhood; that could be possible.

The "black people are scary" is coming from every MARTA-going-north discussion from the past 30 years.

Tapate50
11-11-2013, 12:20 PM
Probably gonna be a bear to use that ticket stub to get in the Cheetah from now on. :Sad:

The Chosen One
11-11-2013, 12:21 PM
Considering we're owned by Liberty Media...

Let's hope they'd call it Liberty Field, instead of Liberty Media Stadium.

wheresmykayak
11-11-2013, 12:22 PM
Maybe I should have been more specific, lol. I live in the Cumberland/Vinings area, and my apartment complex is almost on that map. And there are just as many black people around here as white people. So in terms of the whole county, I suppose it could be mostly white. But in terms of where the stadium will actually be? Lots of diversity.

As I've said, though, I would kind of prefer the Braves to not come here, unless they're doing massive changes to the road systems, and expanding MARTA to come here.

The Chosen One
11-11-2013, 12:25 PM
I remember a few weeks ago after we lost there was ana rticle about Marta building a direct line to Turner from the Five Points I think.

Guess the city kind of had a feeling we were gonna do this and that was a bone thrown at the team, but ultimately Braves said F-U.

Hawk
11-11-2013, 12:25 PM
Considering we're owned by Liberty Media...

Let's hope they'd call it Liberty Field, instead of Liberty Media Stadium.

:smilet-digitalpoint

thethe
11-11-2013, 12:28 PM
This is a great move. I love the fact that the stadium capacity will be smaller as well. I think a 50K+ stadium is a mistake for any fanbase in the current day.

PawPawMaxwell
11-11-2013, 12:31 PM
Guess we could ask Rico this question but considering how long it takes to get from say Alpharetta to Turner Field, is Chattanooga now in play for fans and travel time???

Hawk
11-11-2013, 12:35 PM
So starting in 2014 I am going to systematically begin poaching bits and pieces of Turner Field, starting with the urinal cakes in the 755 Club.

Can anybody find me video of the Pizza Hut commercial with (I think) Chipper taking dirt/pieces of Fulton County Stadium with him prior to its demolition?

weso1
11-11-2013, 12:36 PM
mmm... cake

PastorRog
11-11-2013, 12:37 PM
My step-grandfather and I got mugged after a Braves game once, literally. So, some of those locals are up to no good. Not saying everyone is.

The Chosen One
11-11-2013, 12:39 PM
I think the city will work with Bravos to build a MARTA route/line to the stadium in some way.

Hawk
11-11-2013, 12:42 PM
I think the city will work with Bravos to build a MARTA route/line to the stadium in some way.

Agreed. I think this was a core component of the agreement, but is being kept under wraps for the time being because the county will obviously impose some sort of tax to help fund it later down the line.

wheresmykayak
11-11-2013, 12:46 PM
I always just bite the bullet and pay for parking in an assigned lot (I usually get green).

I've been to many Braves games and never had an issue, mostly just because I make sure to stay around a crowd at all times. My dad (grew up in NYC) always taught me that's the best way to avoid trouble, for the most part. I might be a bit lucky, though.

In fact, the most "action" I've ever seen around the stadium is an employee chasing down a guy selling water outside the gates. That was some good comedy.

Lenny
11-11-2013, 12:50 PM
on the bright side, at least we have something to talk about in the off season.

Bravesfan205
11-11-2013, 12:52 PM
I don't really understand all the talk about how unsafe turner field is. The neighborhoods south of it are rough but there is no reason for fans to go to those areas. I have been to hundreds of games and never seen or heard of anyone being mugged/robbed. I go to school a mile away from the stadium and have made the walk countless times and survived. I get that there are no bars or good transport around the stadium but I don't understand the safety issue

Lenny
11-11-2013, 01:09 PM
From my stand point, as a person who doesn't like to go to the stadium for safety concerns. I've never really felt unsafe at or on the stadium property. My problem has always been getting there. I park at the Hamilton e. Homes station and take the train. My problem of not feeling safe is on the train ride, not at the stadium. I've seen and experienced threats and people trying to start trouble for no reason. Drunks riding the trains, puking on the trains, and starting trouble just because they think you might have looked at them. Not an environment I feel ok with going into, but once I'm at the stadium, I don't feel threatened.

The Chosen One
11-11-2013, 01:14 PM
Agreed. I think this was a core component of the agreement, but is being kept under wraps for the time being because the county will obviously impose some sort of tax to help fund it later down the line.

Like I said earlier, the announcement a few weeks ago MARTA was planning to build a direct line to the TED may have been a bone thrown at the Braves to try and keep them at Turner, but ultimately the Braves said no. But I think the city of Atlanta would look bad if they weren't going to accomodate the Braves at all considering how much the team means to the City (easily the most popular team in the city, maybe only 2nd in the state behind UGA), so I think the least they can do is figure out how to build a viable form of a train line to the new stadium.

Metaphysicist
11-11-2013, 01:16 PM

I don't see this at all. They are moving up there for the fans north of the city. Those folks aren't going to be using MARTA. Combined with the fact that Cobb County hates the idea of MARTA, I don't see it happening. Though I'd love to be wrong.

NYCBrave
11-11-2013, 01:18 PM
From my stand point, as a person who doesn't like to go to the stadium for safety concerns. I've never really felt unsafe at or on the stadium property. My problem has always been getting there. I park at the Hamilton e. Homes station and take the train. My problem of not feeling safe is on the train ride, not at the stadium. I've seen and experienced threats and people trying to start trouble for no reason. Drunks riding the trains, puking on the trains, and starting trouble just because they think you might have looked at them. Not an environment I feel ok with going into, but once I'm at the stadium, I don't feel threatened.

Like I mentioned in an earlier post I've only been to Atlanta a couple of times and attended less than 10 games, but I'm very observant of my surroundings and I didn't see any threats in the immediate area of the stadium. Now if you take MARTA late at night, and if you hang around the 5 Points station specifically, I could see how there could be issues. I was with my fiance who IS black, and she didn't feel safe at all. This is coming from a person like her who works in Harlem in NYC, which is not considered a safe area by any means, and she feels safer in Harlem.

I just can't imagine a ton of people using Marta traveling long distances, especially because of the safety concerns mentioned by many on here.

The Chosen One
11-11-2013, 01:20 PM
I don't see this at all. They are moving up there for the fans north of the city. Those folks aren't going to be using MARTA. Combined with the fact that Cobb County hates the idea of MARTA, I don't see it happening. Though I'd love to be wrong.

Cobb may hate the idea of MARTA, but they love the idea of having the Braves even more.

Braves probably didn't want to alienate the entire fanbase (they're making this move for the majority of their fans buying tickets, not the fan base itself), so perhaps part of the agreement was to have a single line to and from the stadium. So those in the other sections of Atlanta still have a viable way of getting to the game.

The Chosen One
11-11-2013, 01:21 PM
I may be the only one to say this but good riddance to TED!

That stadium is cursed. We haven't really had a homefield advantage there when we need it (playoffs).

The downside is now when they do a panoramic exterior shot of the stadium, you won't be able to see the downtown Atlanta skyline that well anymore.

Metaphysicist
11-11-2013, 01:25 PM
Cobb may hate the idea of MARTA, but they love the idea of having the Braves even more.

And there is no indication that they need to accept the one to get the other.

CrimsonCowboy
11-11-2013, 01:31 PM
Atlanta's mayor has released a statement:

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/breaking-news/reed-tax-breaks-to-braves-city-was-unwilling-to-do/nbpXF/

mossy
11-11-2013, 01:34 PM
Chick Fil A stadium

Home Depot Field

Coca Cola Park

Delta Stadium

Delta Field

Coca Cola Park

Those two have to be in the running if te naming rights will be sold. Better not be something stupid like "Petco".

The Chosen One
11-11-2013, 01:42 PM
And there is no indication that they need to accept the one to get the other.

Agreed, but these backroom deals generally have some strings attached.

Braves are smarter than this, they won't alienate the south (majority black) entirely. It would be bad PR and they can only use Hank Aaron so much for race relations..

COGPK
11-11-2013, 01:48 PM
Guess we could ask Rico this question but considering how long it takes to get from say Alpharetta to Turner Field, is Chattanooga now in play for fans and travel time???

I have lots of friends in the Chattanooga/Cleveland, TN area and they are excited about this. I live north of Cumming and HATE driving to Turner Field. In fact, I don't anymore. I went to one game last year on a Saturday night and it took me 2 1/2 hours to make the 50 mile drive. I swore I would never do that again.

The big issue is that for people who live in Marietta/Woodstock/Roswell/Alpharetta, they can now drive home and pick up the kids and head to the park. No way you can do that now and make it on time.

I love this move, although, I would have preferred the old GM plant.

sturg33
11-11-2013, 01:56 PM
Why the hell did we spend so much money on that stupid giant cow

PastorRog
11-11-2013, 02:03 PM
Delta Field

Coca Cola Park

Those two have to be in the running if te naming rights will be sold. Better not be something stupid like "Petco".

Affordable Care Act Field. You know its coming...

The Chosen One
11-11-2013, 02:06 PM
Affordable Care Act Field. You know its coming...
:eusa_clap:

wheresmykayak
11-11-2013, 02:22 PM
So... basically what Mayor Reed is saying there, is that that there was no way the Braves were staying without taxpayer money being put into the stadium? Taxpayer money... like what's going into the Falcons' new stadium? Am I understanding that correctly? I guess it's not worth paying out money to a sports venue unless it's something new.

Honestly, I'd be way more excited if they'd invest taxpayer money into mass transit, instead of a stadium that will be used 8 times a year. But that's another thread, I suppose.

The Chosen One
11-11-2013, 02:28 PM
So... basically what Mayor Reed is saying there, is that that there was no way the Braves were staying without taxpayer money being put into the stadium? Taxpayer money... like what's going into the Falcons' new stadium? Am I understanding that correctly? I guess it's not worth paying out money to a sports venue unless it's something new.

Honestly, I'd be way more excited if they'd invest taxpayer money into mass transit, instead of a stadium that will be used 8 times a year. But that's another thread, I suppose.

Falcons stadium is being paid for by a hotel tax, so unless you are buying out hotel rooms you aren't fitting the bill.

The mass transit to Turner Field has been talked about for ages, but it never gets done. The city owns the land, MARTA is privately financed. You know there's going to be some major hurdles taht will never get over.

thethe
11-11-2013, 02:33 PM
I bet ownership is going to want to go into 2017 with a big splash. Hopefully some big time extensions are signed as a result of this.

wheresmykayak
11-11-2013, 02:34 PM
Well, I guess my point is that they were willing to find something to tax to make the money happen for the Falcons, but apparently not for the Braves. I understand most people prefer the NFL in this day and age, but still. From the outside it looks like they didn't try as hard to keep the Braves in Atlanta.

stpeteirish
11-11-2013, 02:36 PM
I bet ownership is going to want to go into 2017 with a big splash. Hopefully some big time extensions are signed as a result of this.

if the 200 mill they are putting into the stadium doesn't bust them.

The Chosen One
11-11-2013, 02:38 PM
Well, I guess my point is that they were willing to find something to tax to make the money happen for the Falcons, but apparently not for the Braves. I understand most people prefer the NFL in this day and age, but still. From the outside it looks like they didn't try as hard to keep the Braves in Atlanta.

Not really. The Braves are probably the most popular team in the city, 2nd most popular in the state behind UGA.

The Falcons don't sell out games either, and they're blessed with having the MARTA line go straight to the Dome. They won't have that luxury with the new stadium.

PawPawMaxwell
11-11-2013, 02:39 PM
I wonder if this has been in the plans for a long while and is a reason money was not put back into payroll and extensions. Tho to be realistic, there havent been that many players worth extending until recently. All of a sudden players like Price and Scherzer could become affordable for the long term.

wheresmykayak
11-11-2013, 02:44 PM
Not really. The Braves are probably the most popular team in the city, 2nd most popular in the state behind UGA.

The Falcons don't sell out games either, and they're blessed with having the MARTA line go straight to the Dome. They won't have that luxury with the new stadium.

I can believe that part. Used to work for UGA, and the only thing people ever used to ask me when they found out was "How 'bout dem dawgs?". When in reality, I'm not much of a college football person.

And makes sense about the Falcons... especially now that they're 2-7.

I guess I'm one of those people that sort of has a chip on their shoulder toward football, for some reason. If I hear ONE more person talk about how baseball is all standing around, and then say football is faster paced, I'll... I'll...

I'll complain about it on the internet, of course.

The Chosen One
11-11-2013, 02:48 PM
I can believe that part. Used to work for UGA, and the only thing people ever used to ask me when they found out was "How 'bout dem dawgs?". When in reality, I'm not much of a college football person.

And makes sense about the Falcons... especially now that they're 2-7.

I guess I'm one of those people that sort of has a chip on their shoulder toward football, for some reason. If I hear ONE more person talk about how baseball is all standing around, and then say football is faster paced, I'll... I'll...

I'll complain about it on the internet, of course.

Falcons have sucked the majority of their lifetime in Atlanta.

And like the Braves in recent history, whenever they make it to the big stage they find a way to choke or get screwed/screw themselves.

Falcons have a huge bandwagon contingency when they do good.

wheresmykayak
11-11-2013, 02:53 PM
http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/9959440/atlanta-braves-leaving-turner-field-relocating-cobb-county-2017

"The reason for moving is simple," the team said in a statement on the website. "The current location has certain issues that are insurmountable and will only become more problematic over the years. These fundamental issues involve how you, our fans, access Turner Field. There is a lack of consistent mass transportation, a lack of sufficient parking and a lack of direct access to interstates."

That part is interesting. It'd be asinine to point out that part and actually downgrade on available transit. Makes me wonder what they have planned.

The Chosen One
11-11-2013, 02:58 PM

"The reason for moving is simple," the team said in a statement on the website. "The current location has certain issues that are insurmountable and will only become more problematic over the years. These fundamental issues involve how you, our fans, access Turner Field. There is a lack of consistent mass transportation, a lack of sufficient parking and a lack of direct access to interstates."

That part is interesting. It'd be asinine to point out that part and actually downgrade on available transit. Makes me wonder what they have planned.

It's really bad.

Your best bet for rail is to go to Georgia State stop, and walk the mile and a half to the stadium. You can go to the 5 points stop and take the provided shuttle busses but in traffic that sucks too.

jason27nc
11-11-2013, 03:16 PM
I'm just glad we are moving out of the ballpark that sucks when it comes to post season. That is if you even get there. We have had such bad luck in that park!!!!!

Gary82
11-11-2013, 03:43 PM
I hope they hire a good architect and design a beautiful stadium and add interesting dimensions. Turner Field is so damn vanilla it makes me puke.

Mrs. Meta
11-11-2013, 03:59 PM
I hope they hire a good architect and design a beautiful stadium and add interesting dimensions. Turner Field is so damn vanilla it makes me puke.

Vanilla ice cream better not make you puke.

Gary82
11-11-2013, 04:02 PM
Vanilla ice cream better not make you puke.

lol dems fightin' words.

only too much ice cream would make me puke.

chopdrew
11-11-2013, 04:02 PM

I've thought a lot about that too. This organization has never really had a chance to put their signature on a ballpark. I'm thinking short porch in right for Heyward & Freeman, cavernous CF so fly balls die out there, and more foul territory for cheap outs.

Mrs. Meta
11-11-2013, 04:11 PM
I've thought a lot about that too. This organization has never really had a chance to put their signature on a ballpark. I'm thinking short porch in right for Heyward & Freeman, cavernous CF so fly balls die out there, and more foul territory for cheap outs.

... And a time machine for lost playoff games :Alone:

CrimsonCowboy
11-11-2013, 04:14 PM
I know I speak for the rest of you when I say this, but as a Braves fan, I want what is best for the team and the franchise. If what is best is moving the team to Cobb County, then by all means, do it. I'm just still in shock how much of a secret this was. Usually when you have news this big, someone can't keep it to themselves and the media finds out about it. Especially in this day of social media.

weso1
11-11-2013, 04:14 PM
I just think it's cool that we are getting a new stadium. Forget all of the externalities. I didn't think we'd get one for another 20 years.

The Chosen One
11-11-2013, 04:17 PM
I know I speak for the rest of you when I say this, but as a Braves fan, I want what is best for the team and the franchise. If what is best is moving the team to Cobb County, then by all means, do it. I'm just still in shock how much of a secret this was. Usually when you have news this big, someone can't keep it to themselves and the media finds out about it. Especially in this day of social media.

Braves have always been a tight-lipped organization on every move they make.

KB21
11-11-2013, 04:25 PM
I wonder if they will hire Janet Marie Smith to work on this project. She has been hired by the Dodgers to renovate their stadium.

wheresmykayak
11-11-2013, 04:40 PM
Honestly, I hope they don't do anything too wacky with field dimensions. Historically parks that heavily favor hitters (Coors, GAB), or pitchers (Petco, Safeco) feature home teams that struggle to contend. Give me a mostly neutral playing field any day.

If they want to go crazy beyond the field, though, be my guest. Give us another giant cow with a tomahawk, a giant dartboard with Fredi's face on it, whatever. Just don't mess with the field itself.

And for god's sake, no flag pole on a hill like they've got in Houston.

jpx7
11-11-2013, 04:54 PM
I just think it's cool that we are getting a new stadium. Forget all of the externalities. I didn't think we'd get one for another 20 years.

Well, "new stadium" doesn't always equate to "better stadium." Lets hope it does in this case.

But I'm the sort of fan that wishes teams would just build a stadium and stick with it for a couple centuries. For instance: I might loathe a lot of the "fans" inside Wrigley, but I love the edifice that is Wrigley. If teams build a new stadium every twenty or thirty years, that patina of history is never given a chance to germinate.

The Chosen One
11-11-2013, 04:55 PM
Well, "new stadium" doesn't always equate to "better stadium." Lets hope it does in this case.

But I'm the sort of fan that wishes teams would just build a stadium and stick with it for a couple centuries. For instance: I might loathe a lot of the "fans" inside Wrigley, but I love the edifice that is Wrigley. If teams build a new stadium every twenty or thirty years, that patina of history is never given a chance to germinate.

Turner Field sucks because it wasn't meant for baseball, they only modified it to become a baseball stadium. This new stadium will be constructed first and foremost as a baseball stadium.

So hopefully it is better.

CrimsonCowboy
11-11-2013, 05:16 PM
Been watching and reading some of the Atlanta news coverage today. This is going to be easy for me to say because I'm all the way out here on the outskirts of Mobile, Alabama and not in Atlanta. It seems to me maybe a part of this is the Braves feel the mayor and other city leaders went out of their way to give the Falcons what they wanted for their billion dollar stadium, while not doing the same for the Braves. It's not like they were asking Atlanta for a new ballpark. Just funds to improve Turner Field. Maybe I'm off base.

Those of you in Atlanta, could that be part of the reason?

Hawk
11-11-2013, 05:18 PM
And for god's sake, no flag pole on a hill like they've got in Houston.

We could have a 'Stone Mountain' in center. Just a huge cement hill.

BremanFan88
11-11-2013, 05:24 PM
It's a total of 60 acres. They only need 15 acres for the stadium footprint. There's 25 acres directly attached to the stadium for parking and then they have 20 acres lining Circle 75 for Braves team offices and what they said will be like a Braves village, full of restaurants, bars, and shops.

wheresmykayak
11-11-2013, 05:54 PM
Been watching and reading some of the Atlanta news coverage today. This is going to be easy for me to say because I'm all the way out here on the outskirts of Mobile, Alabama and not in Atlanta. It seems to me maybe a part of this is the Braves feel the mayor and other city leaders went out of their way to give the Falcons what they wanted for their billion dollar stadium, while not doing the same for the Braves. It's not like they were asking Atlanta for a new ballpark. Just funds to improve Turner Field. Maybe I'm off base.

Those of you in Atlanta, could that be part of the reason?

Absolutely. From all I've read, the Braves have made multiple requests to Atlanta over matters regarding the stadium and the surrounding property, and have been all but ignored. I'm sure the Falcons' stadium was one of the last straws.

It's kind of like if you live in an apartment, and your landlord ignores all your service requests. Once your lease is up, you're more than welcome to go out and find someone willing to treat you better. And apparently the Braves believe they've found that in Cobb county. Now whether they're right or not, is another question...

And by all reports, nothing has been signed yet. They could be playing chicken with the entire city of Atlanta. You never know.

jpx7
11-11-2013, 05:55 PM
Turner Field sucks because it wasn't meant for baseball, they only modified it to become a baseball stadium. This new stadium will be constructed first and foremost as a baseball stadium.

So hopefully it is better.

I neither loved nor hated Turner Field merely as a structure — though I do have a lot of great memories accrued there. I'm more commenting on the general and perpetual new-stadium cycle in US sports, which I find depressing and disgusting; but, to a certain degree, those circumstances don't align with this instance, because Turner Field wasn't constructed as a first-and-foremost baseball venue.

Javyz1fan
11-11-2013, 06:12 PM
I just found out about this. I'm in total shock.

I guess I am in the minority, but I love Turner Field. It was the first place I ever saw an MLB game, and I have so many good memories from over the years.

The new spot will be better for me when I visit once a year because I stay to the North, but... I am having trouble wrapping my mind around this.

BlackwaterPark
11-11-2013, 06:56 PM
New Field Wish List:

Unique Deisgn
Unique Dimensions
Retractable Roof

Perfect Cell
11-11-2013, 07:10 PM
the stadium can look worse than the disaster the marlins have for all I care.

What I want to see is a significant raise in payroll. None of this payroll may go up and we stay at the same payroll garbage that weve had for the past 10 years. The braves will get a massive influx of cash now. And its gonna be thanks to tax payers money they better reinvest a significant part of that on field talent.

NYCBrave
11-11-2013, 07:24 PM
I've had the opportunity to catch games at all of the stadiums in the NL East, and although I guess it's not really fair to compare since we have the oldest by far, in terms of what are of the other 4 have to offer we are definitely lagging behind. Although I love Turner Field because of how personalized it is to all things Braves and Braves history (the Mets could learn a serious lesson from this), overall I'd rank them Citi Field, Marlins Park, Nationals Park, Citizens Bank Park, Turner Field.

chopdrew
11-11-2013, 08:34 PM
I don't understand why any Braves fan wouldn't think this is a good thing. More ticket sales, increased payroll, higher total revenue. This is a great thing...

Tapate50
11-11-2013, 08:42 PM
I don't understand why any Braves fan wouldn't think this is a good thing. More ticket sales, increased payroll, higher total revenue. This is a great thing...

agreed

graffy
11-11-2013, 08:50 PM

There are plenty of people that live in the City of Atlanta (proper) that don't like the move for a couple reasons. One, this location will be more inconvenient for many (though it will be more convenient for many more).

Also, there are people that realize how this could affect downtown Atlanta long-term. It's one thing to realize that this could help more fans attend games and may produce more championships, but there will be a negative impact on downtown atlanta and specifically the turner field neighborhood. There were high hopes for improving that neighborhood......and it just didn't happen.

I don't blame the Braves for moving, and from a baseball perspective I think it is great. But, as a city of atlanta resident and as someone who longs to see a vibrant urban core in Atlanta, this is definitely a step backwards.

chopdrew
11-11-2013, 08:54 PM
There are plenty of people that live in the City of Atlanta (proper) that don't like the move for a couple reasons. One, this location will be more inconvenient for many (though it will be more convenient for many more).

Also, there are people that realize how this could affect downtown Atlanta long-term. It's one thing to realize that this could help more fans attend games and may produce more championships, but there will be a negative impact on downtown atlanta and specifically the turner field neighborhood. There were high hopes for improving that neighborhood......and it just didn't happen.

I don't blame the Braves for moving, and from a baseball perspective I think it is great. But, as a city of atlanta resident and as someone who longs to see a vibrant urban core in Atlanta, this is definitely a step backwards.

I blame the city of Atlanta. Derek Schiller said on the radio today that when they first explored the idea of Braves Town, they wanted to do it at the current site. But they got no help from the city. The Braves are doing what they have to. Forget the city of Atlanta. That city council is full of people so corrupt they make Enron jealous...

graffy
11-11-2013, 08:55 PM
I blame the city of Atlanta. Derek Schiller said on the radio today that when they first explored the idea of Braves Town, they wanted to do it at the current site. But they got no help from the city. The Braves are doing what they have to. Forget the city of Atlanta. That city council is full of people so corrupt they make Enron jealous...

True. There is plenty of the blame to go around. At the end of the day, the city didn't give the Braves enough reasons to stay. I'm not saying the city isn't to blame, just that it's sad.

Metaphysicist
11-11-2013, 08:56 PM
Turner Field sucks because it wasn't meant for baseball, they only modified it to become a baseball stadium.

Turner Field doesn't suck, and it was definitely meant for baseball. The Olympic Stadium was specifically designed to ultimately be a baseball stadium.

I like Turner field a lot. It is a nice stadium.

CyYoung31
11-11-2013, 09:01 PM
Turner Field doesn't suck, and it was definitely meant for baseball. The Olympic Stadium was specifically designed to ultimately be a baseball stadium.

I like Turner field a lot. It is a nice stadium.

This.

goldfly
11-11-2013, 09:19 PM

no doubt

bravesnumberone
11-11-2013, 09:24 PM
I'll have to see what public transportation plans will be before making a final final judgement. But the organization is making the right move financially, without a doubt.

VOLracious
11-11-2013, 09:31 PM
So far I like the idea. Stadium is to small for the area IMO. They better not forget us longtime season ticket holders. I've had 6 tickets for 15 years. I better get similar seats. I still wish they had built it up 400 above Mansel road near Milton maybe. That would be more of a central location to draw from all the Northern suburbs. The Falcons should have made a similar move.

To correct some of the points in this thread. The Ted does not suck. Not a bad seat in the house. It reportedly needed or the Braves requested 400 million dollars or so of refurbishment. To include but not limited to plumbing, seats, parking, etc. The city wouldn't get behind this.

Couldn't disagree more with Metahater in this thread. Downtown is beginning to crumble. Hell even Harold's BBQ closed down. After dark you don't really want to be anywhere South of Ted near Lake City or over near Hill Street (West). I was out on Bankhead Hwy a few months ago and there was a big abandoned, dilapidated building with the words "Don't bother the copper plumbing has already been stolen" painted on it's side. Yea downtown Atlanta is a wonderful place to raise your family. Never leave your car parked overnight. My cousin had his rental car broken into down there a couple of years ago. Flew in from Minnesota to visit his mother, went to the game first and had several thousand dollars worth of camera equipment stolen from his luggage locked in the trunk. Marta sucks. Nothing more than a jobs program for city residents because local pols won't clean the place up to attract new businesses. Plenty of studies to show it's a failure. Also plenty of accusations regarding discrimination in hiring practices. It's Georgia's version of Amtrak!

Meta quit being stupid. You're scarier than any black person I ever met!

Hawk
11-11-2013, 09:34 PM
VOLracious Out of curiosity, where are your seats?

Metaphysicist
11-11-2013, 09:34 PM
Meta quit being stupid. You're scarier than any black person I ever met!

Th... thank you?

Barnes
11-11-2013, 10:29 PM
I moved out of the ATL area in 2001, what has changed. I remember the team drawing well the the 90's. Surely the team has had a 3 million fan season at Turner Field. Is the traffic that bad. Also, there is no area in Atlanta that is as rough as Detroit, South Philly, or the Bronx.

MadduxFanII
11-11-2013, 10:30 PM
I've never actually been to Turner Field, which is sort of an unfortunate realization. I suppose I should get down to see a game there at some point, but it's hard to work up too much motivation. Turner's just never been that kind of stadium, I guess. It's always looked (from a distance) like a solid, well-maintained, thoroughly boring park. I mean, for the longest time the big point of pride was that Turner Field's drainage system was so awesome there wasn't a rainout until 2002.

Woo-hoo! I mean, objectively speaking field drainage is incredibly important in a baseball stadium, but...look at that shiny thing they built in Pittsburgh!

mossy
11-11-2013, 11:20 PM

This. The thought of something completely new just bogles my mind. It's like an early Christmas present, or a blockbuster trade.

What has been a bigger Braves news story in the last 20 years?

mossy
11-11-2013, 11:22 PM
We could have a 'Stone Mountain' in center. Just a huge cement hill.

As long as we get highlights of Bryce Harper or Carlos Gomez crashing into it.

mossy
11-11-2013, 11:31 PM
New Field Wish List:

Unique Deisgn
Unique Dimensions
Retractable Roof

I seem to be a rainout magnet, so I initially wondered about a roof. But I bet that would double the cost of the project. Also, how many rainouts have the Braves had since 97? I'd be interested to know the stat on that.

I only got to visit the Ted for a game one time, and it will probably never happen again. Ironically it was the hottest day in the south that I can remember, so climate controlled park would have been nice. While I like the Ted, it seems....too big. Either that or the amount of seats just didn't work in that part of town, who knows.

Having gone to all my games at Fulton County from 82-92, I don't remember the area being safe in any way shape or form. My grandfather lived in College Park, and the drive to and from Atlanta made my skin crawl. (I was from an area way east of LA)

If this move helps us with better attendance (sellouts of important games), sells more per game in the regular season, I'm all for it. We had some games at home before clinching in September where we had 15k (estimate). Look how many people came out when Carlos Gomez made an ass of himself. It's embarrasing.

But Mossy, it was a school night. But Mossy, it's hard to get in and out of the Ted. But Mossy, it's a bad area. Whatever. I'm sick of hearing it. I don't hear other teams of contenders talk about these issues.

Yes, I live in the backwoods of Southern Oregon, where opinions about the Atlanta Braves don't mean jack squat. So please flame me not. But I'll explain it. I have a passion of baseball. I have a passion for Braves baseball. The spirit of baseball brings back memories of my dear grandfather Curtis, who got me into baseball. He had a passion of Georgia and the people of the great city of Atlanta. I stayed every summer at their house under the flight path of Hartsfield-Jackson. So ya know what? I love the city of Atlanta. I love Delta, Coke, sweet tea, Outkast, TLC (cheesy I know), and all the wonderful memories I have as a kid in the 80's and early 90's before I worried about life. The sounds of a baseball hitting a glove in his front yard. Going to games in '91 when we started winning, and I couldn't believe there was life after Murphy. I can still hear him cheering "Alriiiiiight!!!!" when something good happened.

Grampa would have approved of this move, even if it meant travelling farther to see the game. I wish he were here so we could talk about it. When he lived in Duluth and Lawrenceville, we went to games all the time.

If my wife and kids weren't so attached to the beautiful state of Oregon, I'd live somewhere north of Atlanta. I'd buy season tix. I'd buy them if it meant moving the team to Macon, and having to sit between Gatom and Wilbo....and that's sayin something.

OkieBrave
11-12-2013, 12:18 AM
Like many of you, I was very surprised by the news of a new ballpark. It wasn't long ago that there was discussion of the Turner Field area getting a "face-lift" with the city working to develop the area(The Beltway Project). Since I don't live in Atlanta this was the last I heard of it. The area around The Ted is not great and clearly it's not getting better any time soon...
The saddest part to me is the history that has been made there good and bad. When Turner Field opened, I was disappointed. It was "better" than AFCS but not near as original as Coors Field, Camden Yards, and Ballpark at Arlington. The fact that they used a modified Olympic Stadium made it bland. This is a chance for them to do it right. If enough thought is put into this place they will have a gem that will make people forget that they are moving out to the 'burbs.
A MARTA line out there would be very helpful and I would imagine that if this deal is finalized then it will be on the way.
As for the ballpark complex, I would like to see the Braves do something like what Oakland wanted to do.
http://www.stadiumpage.com/mndcisco/cisco8.jpg
http://www.stadiumpage.com/mndcisco/cisco9.jpg

More images here...LINK (http://www.stadiumpage.com/concepts/athletics_R.html)

If this is what the Braves do then it will be the best thing that could happen to the organization. As a ballpark nerd, I can't wait for the concepts to come out and to see what this thing is going to look like. My fear is that they are going to get really cutesy with this and make it a little too "family friendly" if you know what I mean. (i.e. the Tooner Field bull**** that was/is at Turner Field) This should be a beautiful ballpark and a future classic park, not a babysitter for the bratty kids.

Jay212033
11-12-2013, 12:38 AM
Anyone who lives in that area knows that is a terrible location for a stadium! Traffic trying to get to a 7:00 game with no public transportation is gonna be horrific!

The Chosen One
11-12-2013, 02:45 AM
The Braves kind of pride themselves in being a classic-traditional franchise with a touch of modern taste.

I hope the ballpark concepts will make it look retro, with modern touches. I don't want it to look outrageous like a Marlins Park, Citi Field, or bland like Nationals Park. Like Okie said, the Camden/Arlington look, looks pretty nice and it'd be useful since the Atlanta skyline is no longer in play. They should be able to make it look much prettier with 10k less capacity. New Yankee Stadium still kind of has a classic look to it, despite the fact it looks really not that much like Old Yankee Stadium.

I'd imagine the Braves may even try to go back for the Biggest HD scoreboard record they had before other stadiums eclipsed theirs. It'd be tough to topple the Jerrytron in Dallas, but if Schuerholz says this is gonna be a marvelous new facility, I wouldn't put it past them to try it.

The Chosen One
11-12-2013, 02:51 AM
I moved out of the ATL area in 2001, what has changed. I remember the team drawing well the the 90's. Surely the team has had a 3 million fan season at Turner Field. Is the traffic that bad. Also, there is no area in Atlanta that is as rough as Detroit, South Philly, or the Bronx.

The traffic is really bad on gamenights.

It may take you almost an hour to get to the stadium in traffic, then once oyu get on the exit it may take another 30-40 minutes to park.

Dalyn
11-12-2013, 02:53 AM
I hear Fredi is doing everything he can to get a short porch at third for Schafer and Constanza.

NYCBrave
11-12-2013, 08:56 AM
The Braves kind of pride themselves in being a classic-traditional franchise with a touch of modern taste.

I hope the ballpark concepts will make it look retro, with modern touches. I don't want it to look outrageous like a Marlins Park, Citi Field, or bland like Nationals Park. Like Okie said, the Camden/Arlington look, looks pretty nice and it'd be useful since the Atlanta skyline is no longer in play. They should be able to make it look much prettier with 10k less capacity. New Yankee Stadium still kind of has a classic look to it, despite the fact it looks really not that much like Old Yankee Stadium.

I'd imagine the Braves may even try to go back for the Biggest HD scoreboard record they had before other stadiums eclipsed theirs. It'd be tough to topple the Jerrytron in Dallas, but if Schuerholz says this is gonna be a marvelous new facility, I wouldn't put it past them to try it.

Why is Citi Field outrageous? That's the prime example of a modern-throwback stadium. Not sure if you've ever been there, but it's one of the best stadiums in the league to watch a game.

NYCBrave
11-12-2013, 09:00 AM
Something else not mentioned, but there's speculation we could potentially rebrand. It's in the latest Talking Chop article. Don't see how this would be a good idea:

Finally, there's even some speculation that the team may not be the Atlanta Braves after the move, and no they wouldn't be changing to the Marietta Braves as some have jokingly stated on twitter, but rather changing the team's name, mascot and logo, from the AJC's political reporters: "Could it be a chance also to rebrand the Braves' image? The scuttlebutt among some politicos is that the team may also look to change their logo amid the move."

http://www.talkingchop.com/2013/11/11/5091418/right-now-we-have-more-questions-than-answers-about-the-new-stadium/in/4855719

Hawk
11-12-2013, 09:26 AM
Mayor Reed is saying it's 'not a done deal.' He's giving a press conference at 10:30AM EST -- streamed on WSBTV.com.

Hawk
11-12-2013, 09:58 AM
From this morning's AJC (http://ireader.olivesoftware.com/Olive/iReader/AtlantaJournal/SharedArticle.ashx?document=AJC%5C2013%5C11%5C12&article=Ar00100):

Utz [ATL deputy COO] said Mike Plant, Braves vice president of operations, pulled him aside in one of the earliest conversations and said the team would leave unless the city complied with its requests.

“We said we can’t negotiate under this threat of blackmail; rather than make threats, why not talk instead about what we can jointly accomplish and find a route that isn’t based on blackmail?” Utz said.

Those negotiations stalled, Utz said, because the Braves wanted to engage on both sides of the process, to set parameters of the development and then to choose the developer — a role city officials deemed a conflict of interest.

But we're told the Braves privately contend that the stiff-arm came from the other direction. At one of their meetings this spring, we’re told, Utz looked at a frustrated Plant and said, “It’s not as if you can move anywhere.”

Plant was a member of the 1980 Olympic U.S. speed-skating team. That encounter, we’re told, is what set Plant’s competitive juices flowing and prompted the outreach to Cobb County. And it’s likely to become a part of Braves lore.

Daddy Mike Plant, me like.

The Chosen One
11-12-2013, 09:59 AM
Mayor Reed is saying it's 'not a done deal.' He's giving a press conference at 10:30AM EST -- streamed on WSBTV.com.

This whole thing has sounded fishy TBH. THe fact that it was kept under wraps so much.

The website looks kind of half-assed to be honest, and what's weird is usually when tehre's a stadium announcement like this, there's usually pre-designed concept drawings to reveal during the announcement. Perhaps this Cobb County announcement was used as leverage to get the city to get off its ass and do something?

Is it possible JS and Co. staged this as a bluff to get Reed and the city to make a move?

Hawk
11-12-2013, 10:05 AM
This whole thing has sounded fishy TBH. THe fact that it was kept under wraps so much.

The website looks kind of half-assed to be honest, and what's weird is usually when tehre's a stadium announcement like this, there's usually pre-designed concept drawings to reveal during the announcement. Perhaps this Cobb County announcement was used as leverage to get the city to get off its ass and do something?

Is it possible JS and Co. staged this as a bluff to get Reed and the city to make a move?

I have been thinking the same thing. It's definitely not outside of the realm of possibility. I could have made that website in less than one hour (they used a lightly modified WordPress theme.)

That being said, I see the Braves' angle if this was just a case of posturing -- but what about Cobb County? Wouldn't this make them look like absolute asshats if the Braves were to back out? Political suicide.

The Chosen One
11-12-2013, 10:05 AM
Why is Citi Field outrageous? That's the prime example of a modern-throwback stadium. Not sure if you've ever been there, but it's one of the best stadiums in the league to watch a game.

Maybe you're right. Maybe it's just because I don't like the Mets at all.

To be honest, as much as people rag on Shea Stadium for looking like a dump, I actually liked it as a baseball grounds. It had a certain charm to it. With Yankee STadium, they at least tried to bring back some of the heritage of the old Yankee Stadium when constructing it. Citi-Field from what I've seen on TV, does not resemble or pay homage Shea Stadium not the slightest.

The Chosen One
11-12-2013, 10:07 AM
I have been thinking the same thing. It's definitely not outside of the realm of possibility. I could have made that website in less than one hour (they used a lightly modified WordPress theme.)

That being said, I see the Braves' angle if this was just a case of posturing -- but what about Cobb County? Wouldn't this make them look like absolute asshats if the Braves were to back out? Political suicide.

Probably, but Cobb County is still considered part of the Metro Atlanta area right?

Cobb County probably did this, because the Braves were actually serious about it but Cobb officials didn't want it, so they said they'd help any other way? I mean if Cobb didn't want MARTA, why would they want the Braves which would cause just as much of a traffic log in their area?

The Chosen One
11-12-2013, 10:11 AM

Reed probably doesn't want a second team under his term to leave the city...

chopdrew
11-12-2013, 10:12 AM
Anyone who lives in that area knows that is a terrible location for a stadium! Traffic trying to get to a 7:00 game with no public transportation is gonna be horrific!

Sort of like it is at Turner Field?
I live in the area and I disagree. Everyone seems to be discounting the fact that moves like this aren't made without some idea of how to improve things like this. I highly doubt there won't be improvements made to help the flow of traffic...

zitothebrave
11-12-2013, 10:15 AM

There's no reason to have the world's biggest jumbotron. That money could be much better allocated elsewhere.

To me the biggest keys to a successful stadium is

1. Access. Parking and Public Transportation. Obviously the latter is potentially the biggest issue for the Braves. I've spent a lot of time at both Citizen's Bank Park and Camden Yards, both are great at handling both of those situations from what I've heard (we walked to the Orioles games though I just chatted up a few fans)

2. Food. Turner field seemed to finally be moving in that direction. Ballpark staples of hotdogs, peanuts, fries, popcorn, and ice cream are fine and dandy but the most successful ball parks have that and add in local food as well. I think the additions of Waffle House, Holeman & Finch, etc. But I think they can kick it up just a little more as well. Another thing that both CBP and Camden Yards have and does well is basically an area for Food and Beverage. Rather than trying to hunt down where something awesome is, most unique eats in Philly are in Ashburn Alley. (Cox COrridor anyone?) where you'll find TOny Luke's, Campo's and Chickie and Pete's and other things of course. The key is blending that type of place with cool places elsewhere for people who don't want to wait in large crowds.

3. Beer. can't vouch on how many beers from each brewer but these were the craft beers on tap at Turner Abita Brewing Company, Samuel Adams, Sierra Nevada Brewing Company, Sweetwater Brewing Company. That's freaking pathetic. Compare it to a park that's generally regarded as the best if not one of the best in the nation in PNC Park 21st Amendment Brewery, Brooklyn Brewery, Church Brew Works, Dogfish Head Craft Brewed Ales, East End Brewing Company, Erie Brewing Co., Flying Dog Brewing Company, Harpoon Brewery, Lagunitas Brewing Co., Pennsylvania Brewing Co., Samuel Adams, Sierra Nevada Brewing Company, Stone Brewing Co., Tröegs Brewing Company Now I know that availability because of shipping is an issue. and of course beer sselection alone doesn't make a great park. But some Breweries I know distribute to the Atlanta area that I've found with minimal research. Allagash, Boulder, Boulevard, Dogfish Head, Founders, Great Divide, Green Flash, New Holland, and Victory. Any one of those would be a catch. At the absolute minimum. Add Terrapin and Red Brick to up your Georgia presence. It does vary market to market but based on what I've read Atlanta is a market on the rise (or already great I forget) for craft beer. So give fans some choice at the stadiums. Obviously BMC will sell the best at the stadium as it does in real like but better food and beverage options are a must for return customers.

4. Seating. The magic number seems to be in about the 40K area.

5. Things for the kids. Pretty wide grouping here but keeping kids entertained and not whining to their parents is huge. So giftshops, games, etc. are all musts.

There are most things but those things pop out as things that certainly help. Some charm that some stadiums have cannot be replicated, like the Green Monster, the stadiums built on Rivers, etc. So you shouldn't overly focus on that an instead focus on the overall fan experience.

CyYoung31
11-12-2013, 10:18 AM
This is getting interesting.

Tapate50
11-12-2013, 10:25 AM
Sort of like it is at Turner Field?
I live in the area and I disagree. Everyone seems to be discounting the fact that moves like this aren't made without some idea of how to improve things like this. I highly doubt there won't be improvements made to help the flow of traffic...

The Ted is brutal on traffic. It can't possibly be worse. Agree on the above.

I know a move isn't necessary, but damn the food at Turner Field has a history of being awful. It has gained steam lately, but its traditionally been terrible. I'd love to have something we are known for. A good hot dog is a must. They are terrible at Turner.

wheresmykayak
11-12-2013, 10:26 AM
Of the two, between the city of Atlanta, and the Braves, I'm inclined to believe the Braves' side of the story.

I mean, just think about it. How do the Braves benefit from lying about dragging their feet on improving the area surrounding the Ted? It's in their best interests to try and make the surrounding area friendlier for fans. Everything about this smells of a city government that's either too inept to be of any help, or simply doesn't care. Given that this has been an issue for almost 20 years, I'm inclined to think the latter.

Everything Atlanta seems to be doing reeks of a CYA kind of move.

But it is a good point about the website... if they already have a dollar figure, why haven't we seen any drawings of what the proposed stadium will look like?

This could easily be the Braves just strongarming the city and showing that they have leverage, whereas before this I'm sure the local government thought that they didn't have any.

Hawk
11-12-2013, 10:33 AM
http://www.wsbtv.com/s/news/live/

Reed presser

JohnAdcox
11-12-2013, 10:37 AM
Anyone else wish they'd build on the site of the Georgia Dome when it gets demolished? Then we'd both pro teams plus the Hawks in one mega sports area, with two MARTA stations, and a load of incentive to keep developing the area around the Congress Center.

The Chosen One
11-12-2013, 10:49 AM
On my phone posting at work, any news on the Reed Presser?

zitothebrave
11-12-2013, 10:49 AM
Anyone else wish they'd build on the site of the Georgia Dome when it gets demolished? Then we'd both pro teams plus the Hawks in one mega sports area, with two MARTA stations, and a load of incentive to keep developing the area around the Congress Center.

Would be nice, I mentioned before the Falcons made their announcement the benefits of having a super complex for parking. Building up the surrounding area is hardly the most important thing if there's plenty of parking. The area around the Philly stadiums is certainly nothing to write home about. But you don't see it from 95

graffy
11-12-2013, 10:50 AM

I haven't been listening to the whole thing, but it sounds like he is pretty resigned to the move.

Tapate50
11-12-2013, 10:50 AM
This move reeks of Fredi Gonzalez. He figures if he moves the stadium 30 minutes closer to Gwinnett and Rome, he can have bullpen arms x3 on the ready when he blows through whats left of our pen arms for the stretch run. The closer, the better Dusty Bak...er, um Fredi always says.

Hawk
11-12-2013, 10:51 AM
Yeah, he just said they are going to demolish the Ted and build middle class housing there. Haha. Fail.

wheresmykayak
11-12-2013, 10:53 AM

Basically he's just saying he was unwilling to take on the extra debt the money the Braves were requesting, and that no way was he going to help finance 2 stadiums at once. As for the existing land, he plans to demolish the Ted and replace it with the "largest development for middle class families Atlanta has ever seen."

Hawk
11-12-2013, 10:54 AM
I can see why Reed has won two terms.

CyYoung31
11-12-2013, 11:06 AM
Interesting press conference. Mayor is a good speaker.

NYCBrave
11-12-2013, 11:07 AM
Maybe you're right. Maybe it's just because I don't like the Mets at all.

To be honest, as much as people rag on Shea Stadium for looking like a dump, I actually liked it as a baseball grounds. It had a certain charm to it. With Yankee STadium, they at least tried to bring back some of the heritage of the old Yankee Stadium when constructing it. Citi-Field from what I've seen on TV, does not resemble or pay homage Shea Stadium not the slightest.

Yep, you're definitely right about that. There are no ties to Shea Stadium (which I didn't mind as a stadium either). Instead you'll see links back to Ebbets Field with Citi Field which I think is cool.

Hawk
11-12-2013, 11:08 AM
Apparently the City was considering building a MagLev train to Turner Field.

The Chosen One
11-12-2013, 11:14 AM
Apparently the City was considering building a MagLev train to Turner Field.

This was mentioned a few weeks ago after the NLDS. But as most talk, it kind of had no steam and just died.

Hawk
11-12-2013, 11:15 AM
This was mentioned a few weeks ago after the NLDS. But as most talk, it kind of had no steam and just died.

It's extremely expensive, too. I find it hard to believe the city was balking at $150-250 million in stadium/area improvements, but was willing to build a random MagLev track to Turner Field.

drewdat
11-12-2013, 12:23 PM
Turns out City of Atlanta was going to give everyone personal teleportation devices. New stadium doesn't look so cool now, huh?

jpx7
11-12-2013, 12:26 PM
but...look at that shiny thing they built in Pittsburgh!

But isn't the location upon which the new Pittsburgh stadium was built just a better, more aesthetically interesting – not to mention actually within its city – site than the proposed location for the new Braves stadium?

weso1
11-12-2013, 12:44 PM
I hope they change the team name to the Cobb County Corn Dogs.

Has a nice ring to it.

drewdat
11-12-2013, 12:56 PM
Atlanta Peach Clobbers. Already has unanimous fan approval.

Hawk
11-12-2013, 12:58 PM
Everytime I think of Cobb County, I think of Dan Kolb.

"This is Kolb Kountry ..." has a nice ring.

The Chosen One
11-12-2013, 01:14 PM

Has a nice ring to it.

Name it after Bobby Cox...?

Cobb County Cox's?

Gary82
11-12-2013, 01:32 PM

Cobb County Cox's?

Name the stadium The Cobby Box.

zitothebrave
11-12-2013, 01:46 PM

Cobb County Cox's?

I say we go full corporate

Coca Cola Chick-fil-a Sandwiches at Delta Field in the Home Depot Complex

The Chosen One
11-12-2013, 01:47 PM
Let's erect a huge statue of Cox outside.

wheresmykayak
11-12-2013, 01:58 PM
In all seriousness, if they ever made a statue of Bobby, I would want it to be of him jawing off to an umpire. Anything less just wouldn't feel right.

jpx7
11-12-2013, 02:35 PM

Cobb County Cox's?

I'd go with the Bobby Coccyx. The cuckoo would be the new team mascot (http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/%CE%BA%CF%8C%CE%BA%CE%BA%CF%85%CE%BE).

CrimsonCowboy
11-12-2013, 02:53 PM

Has a nice ring to it.

Might have to pay royalties to LSU for that name.:icon_biggrin:

As far as stadium names go, I hate corporate names on ballparks, but that's the way you have to do it nowadays. Coca-Cola and Delta are two that make a ton of sense. But right now, I think UPS might like to get in on it. That is a Georgia based company too. Plus their big competition in the shipping business, FedEx, has their name on the Redskins stadium. I think FedEx also has the arena in Memphis. I could absolutely see the Braves playing in UPS Stadium come 2017.

Tapate50
11-12-2013, 03:49 PM
Might have to pay royalties to LSU for that name.:icon_biggrin:

As far as stadium names go, I hate corporate names on ballparks, but that's the way you have to do it nowadays. Coca-Cola and Delta are two that make a ton of sense. But right now, I think UPS might like to get in on it. That is a Georgia based company too. Plus their big competition in the shipping business, FedEx, has their name on the Redskins stadium. I think FedEx also has the arena in Memphis. I could absolutely see the Braves playing in UPS Stadium come 2017.

An all UPS Brown stadium perhaps? Let the terd jokes commence!

chopdrew
11-12-2013, 04:23 PM
Georgia Power or Georgia Pacific might be in on it too.

MadduxFanII
11-12-2013, 05:04 PM
But isn't the location upon which the new Pittsburgh stadium was built just a better, more aesthetically interesting – not to mention actually within its city – site than the proposed location for the new Braves stadium?

Then Cobb can get off its ass and build something pretty near the site of the stadium so fans will have a nice view during the game. Maybe an artificial waterfall or something, I don't know. I'm just the big picture guy.

jpx7
11-12-2013, 06:05 PM
Maybe an artificial waterfall or something, I don't know.

The Cobb County Coca-Cola Falls, perhaps?

The Chosen One
11-12-2013, 06:14 PM
You guys forget that Suntrust is Atlanta based. Suntrust Stadium.

UPS is Atlanta like Memphis is FedEx.

Chik Fil A wouldn't go that big, Coca Cola would be a no brainer. The question is what about the Falcons?

CrimsonCowboy
11-12-2013, 06:21 PM
The question is what about the Falcons?

How about "Really Not Needed Stadium"?

Seriously, I never saw why the Falcons needed to have a new stadium, much less one that cost a billion dollars. From watching games on TV, it appeared to me the Georgia Dome was fine. I heard the mayor said the new stadium was needed for conventions. Why can't the dome and the Georgia World Congress Center do that anymore? Philips Arena?

OkieBrave
11-12-2013, 07:22 PM
Georgia Pacific Park/Field
Georgia Power Park/Field
UPS Grounds (haha! pardon the pun!)
Delta Park/Delta Field

It's going to take a while to get used to it. Let's just hope that it rolls in the $$$ so we can win some damn World Series'!

chopdrew
11-12-2013, 07:54 PM
Then Cobb can get off its ass and build something pretty near the site of the stadium so fans will have a nice view during the game. Maybe an artificial waterfall or something, I don't know. I'm just the big picture guy.
The Chattahoochee river is near there. A really gorgeous section, actually. I could see part of the stadium overlooking that. Plus, on clear days, you'll still be able to see the skyline. It just won't be as close.

Metaphysicist
11-12-2013, 08:15 PM
For all those saying "Of course they'll make a MARTA line." Here's the Baron* of Cobb County (http://www.ajc.com/weblogs/jay-bookman/2013/nov/12/cobb-gop-chairman-concerned-about-those-people-com/):

It is absolutely necessary the (transportation) solution is all about moving cars in and around Cobb and surrounding counties from our north and east where most Braves fans travel from, and not moving people into Cobb by rail from Atlanta.

*not actually a Baron

VirginiaBrave
11-12-2013, 08:39 PM
Wished they would have went with a retractable roof. Rainouts should be a thing of the past.

CyYoung31
11-12-2013, 09:01 PM
Wished they would have went with a retractable roof. Rainouts should be a thing of the past.

Braves don't get rainouts, so it's an unnecessary expenditure.

graffy
11-12-2013, 09:33 PM

How many rainouts per year have the Braves had since 1997? Less than 1? Atlanta's weather is great - no need for a retractable roof.

CyYoung31
11-13-2013, 12:34 AM
I'm seeing a lot of drama about this over Twitter. People are acting like they are moving to a new state. They're not even moving to a new area code.

Gary82
11-13-2013, 12:58 AM
For all those saying "Of course they'll make a MARTA line." Here's the Baron* of Cobb County (http://www.ajc.com/weblogs/jay-bookman/2013/nov/12/cobb-gop-chairman-concerned-about-those-people-com/):

It is absolutely necessary the (transportation) solution is all about moving cars in and around Cobb and surrounding counties from our north and east where most Braves fans travel from, and not moving people into Cobb by rail from Atlanta.

*not actually a Baron

http://media.ifccenter.com/images/films/the-adventures-of-baron-von-munchausen_592x299.jpg
Image of the Baron of Cobb County.

Jay212033
11-13-2013, 01:22 AM
A retractable roof would prevent game delays and fans having to worry about getting wet at the game. I have gone to several games and gotten rained on and it isn't fun! So there is need for a retractable roof!

How many rainouts per year have the Braves had since 1997? Less than 1? Atlanta's weather is great - no need for a retractable roof.

CyYoung31
11-13-2013, 01:29 AM
A retractable roof would prevent game delays and fans having to worry about getting wet at the game. I have gone to several games and gotten rained on and it isn't fun! So there is need for a retractable roof!

Not in Atlanta. Again, it is money that could be better spent elsewhere.

Metaphysicist
11-13-2013, 03:03 AM
I'm seeing a lot of drama about this over Twitter. People are acting like they are moving to a new state. They're not even moving to a new area code.

I would think this will take them from 404 to 770.

CyYoung31
11-13-2013, 03:38 AM
I would think this will take them from 404 to 770.

I'll believe it when I see it from some reliable sources.

Metaphysicist
11-13-2013, 08:35 AM
If the think things I "kinda sorta know" aren't reliable, then MAYBE I'LL TAKE MY BALL HOME AND PLAY BY MYSELF.

Or there is this map from the internet, where nothing is ever wrong:

http://i.imgur.com/L2PmKCw.png

wheresmykayak
11-13-2013, 08:57 AM
Darn, I guess locals won't be able to crank call Fredi as easily anymore.

Also, the new stadium will definitely be well past any "Atlanta: City Limits" signs. So the Atlanta address would be symbolic at best.

Jay212033
11-13-2013, 09:08 AM
What are you talking bout?! I'm a season ticket holder so I would know! There were several points during the season where I didn't go to game just because of the weather! And where else would the "money" be spent?

Not in Atlanta. Again, it is money that could be better spent elsewhere.

graffy
11-13-2013, 09:54 AM
I will be upset if they spend money on a retractable roof. I'm pretty sure they aren't even considering it. It simply isn't necessary in Atlanta. With the drainage technology these days, rain outs are almost unheard of - even with the wet summer they were few and far between. And baseball is meant to be played in the hot weather. Texas would be the only ballpark that could possibly use a roof for heat.......it's brutal there. The Miami roof is there because of the rain, not the heat.

CyYoung31
11-13-2013, 09:54 AM
What are you talking bout?! I'm a season ticket holder so I would know! There were several points during the season where I didn't go to game just because of the weather! And where else would the "money" be spent?

Then you should know that Atlanta doesn't get very many rainouts. Retractable roofs are only necessary for places with lots of precipitation during the summer months and extreme climate. So, you've sat through some rain delays. Boo-hoo. Who hasn't?

The money could obviously be spent on improving other, more important aspects of the stadium.

CyYoung31
11-13-2013, 09:56 AM
If the think things I "kinda sorta know" aren't reliable, then MAYBE I'LL TAKE MY BALL HOME AND PLAY BY MYSELF.

Or there is this map from the internet, where nothing is ever wrong:

http://i.imgur.com/L2PmKCw.png

Did you make that in MS Paint?

Metaphysicist
11-13-2013, 10:14 AM
Unfortunately, I can't afford MS Paint. I had to steal it from the internet (http://www.allareacodes.com/404).

MadduxFanII
11-13-2013, 01:20 PM

*not actually a Baron

Boy, the coded language just gets less and less coded over time, doesn't it?

Jay212033
11-13-2013, 04:00 PM
I see plenty people here complaining about the attendance and I know for a fact that's why plenty of fans skip games. Nobody wants to sit in the rain and wait hours for a game.

Then you should know that Atlanta doesn't get very many rainouts. Retractable roofs are only necessary for places with lots of precipitation during the summer months and extreme climate. So, you've sat through some rain delays. Boo-hoo. Who hasn't?

The money could obviously be spent on improving other, more important aspects of the stadium.

PawPawMaxwell
11-13-2013, 04:15 PM
I see plenty people here complaining about the attendance and I know for a fact that's why plenty of fans skip games. Nobody wants to sit in the rain and wait hours for a game.

Jay you need to learn a new song. Very few rainouts, even this year with the unusually high precip all summer. They do have these things called rainchecks in case you havent heard.

chopdrew
11-13-2013, 04:25 PM
Yeah, in keeping with your hydro theme, this doesn't hold water. You got your feelings hurt bc you had to sit through a rain delay. Good news, Sally. They sell beer during rain delays! Drink til you hear CCR in your head. "And I wanna know, have you ever seen the rain...."

goldfly
11-13-2013, 07:27 PM
Darn, I guess locals won't be able to crank call Fredi as easily anymore.

Also, the new stadium will definitely be well past any "Atlanta: City Limits" signs. So the Atlanta address would be symbolic at best.

who ****ing cares?

newsflash, the NY Giants and NY Jets don't even play in the state of New York

BlackwaterPark
11-13-2013, 08:06 PM

roof is needed so fans don't have heat stoke and actually wanna go to games...

mossy
11-14-2013, 12:00 AM
roof is needed so fans don't have heat stoke and actually wanna go to games...

As I stated before, my ONLY trip to the ted was shortened by the hottest day I can remember in my entire life. We sat in the shade too.

That said, unless we had a substantial amount of rainouts, a retractable just isn't in the cards. And that's fine. And that's from someone who loves retractables. Just something about going topless....but not having to. :whip:

mossy
11-14-2013, 12:01 AM
who ****ing cares?

C'mon Goldie, facts upset people.

Tapate50
11-14-2013, 08:55 AM
http://www.ajc.com/weblogs/atlanta-braves/2013/nov/13/it-or-not-braves-planned-move-understandable/

DOB on the move. May have already been posted?

wheresmykayak
11-14-2013, 09:16 AM
who ****ing cares?

I'm well aware. There's a huge list of teams that don't play in their actual city. The 49ers are another team about to join that list. I was just laying out the facts, since there are some people that do care about it. Was sort of surprised about that, really.

mossy
11-14-2013, 10:08 AM
Looking at the map, it's almost too bad the Braves can't charter their flights out of Dobbins AFB.

Has there ever been serious talk about a smaller commuter airport in northern ATL?

Lenny
11-14-2013, 11:07 AM
Looking at the map, it's almost too bad the Braves can't charter their flights out of Dobbins AFB.

Has there ever been serious talk about a smaller commuter airport in northern ATL?

there has been talks and a road built to connect the two airports. It's in Dallas but they shot the idea down many years ago to bring in large jets to that area. Something was just recently decided to make it a larger airport but I wasn't keeping up with it at the time, but I don't think it's to bring in that size jet still.

Hawk
11-14-2013, 12:38 PM
Cobb has just released a slew of information on stadium funding. More to follow.

http://media.cmgdigital.com/shared/img/photos/2013/11/14/7f/ff/Untitled.jpg

Hawk
11-14-2013, 12:42 PM
Other points of note:

- The Atlanta Braves organization will serve as the design and construction manager for the project. The Atlanta Braves will be responsible for any cost overruns.
- Except for Cobb County’s right to conduct a limited number of special events, the Atlanta Braves have exclusive rights to use and operate the Stadium and permit third parties to do the same.
- Because there are no new taxes here outside of the self-taxing CID, the County Commission can approve the proposal without a countywide referendum. Cobb County residents will cover nearly half of the Braves' ballpark without getting to vote on it.

wheresmykayak
11-14-2013, 01:03 PM
"Cumberland District taxes*

Welp, looks like I'll be paying for part of the stadium myself. Y'all can thank me later. :Sad:

Hawk
11-14-2013, 01:22 PM
There is clearly a lot of political jockeying going on in Cobb County that we will probably never quite get the full story on. Yes, officials are boasting that there will be no tax increases related to the stadium now, but they've fashioned the pooling of a funds in a way that allows them to collectively raise taxes in the future under different guises without ever having to say that those increases will directly offset stadium costs.

The $14 million for transportation is an interesting figure which definitely seems to point towards a big NO for a MARTA extension. I still believe that we'll see movement on that prior to 2017, because on the basis of the grousing I've read about regarding traffic in that area, there's no way $14 million is going to magically assuage the transportation nightmare the stadium will undoubtedly cause.

NYCBrave
11-14-2013, 01:55 PM
So the Braves contribution is a lot higher than originally reported. Initially, it was stated they'd pay 200 million. This figure has it at 367 million.

The Chosen One
11-14-2013, 01:58 PM
So the Braves contribution is a lot higher than originally reported. Initially, it was stated they'd pay 200 million. This figure has it at 367 million.

Theoretically with 10k less potential people going to a game because of lower capacity, the traffic should be not as congested.

I don't know how bad the traffic is to Turner on your average baseball game. THe only games I've been to were Saturday night games against high profile teams, or ceremonial games like Chipper's retirement #10 ceremony.

wheresmykayak
11-14-2013, 02:11 PM
I only ever park in the Fulton County stadium lot.Getting in and out is annoying, but not too bad if you're at least a little patient.

And they're going to need a lot more than $14M to make a dent in the Cobb Parkway traffic. It's already gridlocked most all the time. If I go to a game at the new location, I'll probably just park at the mall, and use the skybridge to go over to the Galleria and the field. And they better have a connection between the two, or this will be even dumber, IMO.

Metaphysicist
11-15-2013, 12:40 AM
Theoretically with 10k less potential people going to a game because of lower capacity, the traffic should be not as congested.

I think you have that completely backwards. The whole point is that more people are supposed to go to this new location than went to the never-at-capacity Turner. Adding in the people who previously took MARTA or surface streets and who can now only take the interstate, the traffic burden is going to be much higher.

And that's without even addressing the fact that traffic at the proposed location is already horrendous, while the area around Turner is a ghost town except on game nights.

I don't know how bad the traffic is to Turner on your average baseball game. THe only games I've been to were Saturday night games against high profile teams, or ceremonial games like Chipper's retirement #10 ceremony.

The traffic on the way to the game can be pretty bad if you don't know the area. For example, if you live on the east side, you can come in through Grant Park relatively unimpeded. Even coming down the connector from the North, most of the congestion can be avoided if you go past the stadium and then take Hank Aaron back up from the south. But you would never really know about those options if you live in a White Flight county, never come into town, and only know to take the connector right to the stadium.

Getting out can be a nightmare or a breeze, depending on where you park.

GovClintonTyree
11-15-2013, 01:28 AM
I think you have that completely backwards. The whole point is that more people are supposed to go to this new location than went to the never-at-capacity Turner. Adding in the people who previously took MARTA or surface streets and who can now only take the interstate, the traffic burden is going to be much higher.

And that's without even addressing the fact that traffic at the proposed location is already horrendous, while the area around Turner is a ghost town except on game nights.

The traffic on the way to the game can be pretty bad if you don't know the area. For example, if you live on the east side, you can come in through Grant Park relatively unimpeded. Even coming down the connector from the North, most of the congestion can be avoided if you go past the stadium and then take Hank Aaron back up from the south. But you would never really know about those options if you live in a White Flight county, never come into town, and only know to take the connector right to the stadium.

Yeah, but it will always scare the **** out of your wife and kids.

goldfly
11-15-2013, 03:19 AM

that makes no sense

goldfly
11-15-2013, 03:19 AM

glad to see met cover it