PDA

View Full Version : Group from Nashville meeting with MLB in NYC this week

SJ24
05-09-2019, 10:13 AM
https://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/2019/05/07/nashville-major-league-baseball-rob-manfred/1128690001/

The group includes businessman John Loar, Belmont Law dean Alberto Gonzales, Vanderbilt head coach Tim Corbin, Dave Stewart, and Tony LaRussa.

Really excited to see the cities the Rays/Athletics move to and teams number 31 and 32.

We could be getting four new, exciting markets and a massive realignment.

I'm gonna call it now: Nashville, Montreal, Vegas, and Portland.

The Chosen One
05-09-2019, 10:33 AM
Only in favor of this group if it means Dave Stewart and LaRussa are our division rivals and head the front office.

msstate7
05-09-2019, 10:35 AM
Nashville would be bad news for braves.

Hulavol
05-09-2019, 10:38 AM
I agree with State-we don’t need any new teams anywhere in the south.

CyYoung31
05-09-2019, 11:37 AM
I agree with State-we don’t need any new teams anywhere in the south.

I’m from and live in Nashville and I agree.

Carp
05-09-2019, 11:59 AM
I’m from and live in Nashville and I agree.

I agree as well. I'm not gilesfan. I can't just start rooting for a new team because somewhere closer to me got a new team. I actually have loyalty.

CyYoung31
05-09-2019, 12:16 PM
I agree as well. I'm not gilesfan. I can't just start rooting for a new team because somewhere closer to me got a new team. I actually have loyalty.

Yeah, I love my city, but I’m too entrenched into the Braves as a team, organization, and institution to change allegiances.

Now, if you wanna bring the NBA here, that’s a different story.

Enscheff
05-09-2019, 12:29 PM
It's more likely the A's and Rays move before any new teams are added.

A's to Portland, and Rays to Montreal.

msstate7
05-09-2019, 12:30 PM
It's more likely the A's and Rays move before any new teams are added.

A's to Portland, and Rays to Montreal.

You think Vegas gets skipped over in favor of those 2?

SJ24
05-09-2019, 01:44 PM
You think Vegas gets skipped over in favor of those 2?

I speculate Vegas will be the West Coast team that comes in with Nashville after the As and Rays are moved.

Hudson2
05-09-2019, 01:52 PM
I grew up and live close to Nashville and hope they don’t get it either but I have a feeling they will. I’ll be a Braves fan regardless either way.

Carp
05-09-2019, 02:14 PM
Yeah, I love my city, but I’m too entrenched into the Braves as a team, organization, and institution to change allegiances.

Now, if you wanna bring the NBA here, that’s a different story.

If Nashville does get a team, it better be an AL team. May be that way I won't hate them so bad. Kinda like how I feel about the Astros and Brewers now. I used to kinda like the Brewers when they were an AL team. Now I can't stand em. And vice versa with Astros. I enjoy watching them and KC play occasionally.

AerchAngel
05-09-2019, 02:46 PM
Atlanta can handle it.

They have all of Georgia, SC and NC.

Nashville has Memphis and the Paducah/Hopkinsville KY areas plus the military bases. We good. Most in Paducah area are Cardinal fans and Nashville can steal them.

AerchAngel
05-09-2019, 02:51 PM
Atlanta can handle it.

They have all of Georgia, SC and NC.

Nashville has Memphis and the Paducah/Hopkinsville KY areas plus the military bases. We good. Most in Paducah area are Cardinal fans and Nashville can steal them.

St.Louis back then when you can only go 55 was like a two hour drive, now hour and some change. Nashville is almost the same distance, so Nashville will get some converted Cardinal fans. It happened when the Titans came to town.

UNCBlue012
05-09-2019, 03:04 PM
Logistics be damned, I'd love a team in Charlotte. I'm a Braves fan forever but I can deal with a No. 2 :)

Just give us the Rays. lol

Horsehide Harry
05-09-2019, 03:09 PM
One of the easiest ways to fix some of the market inefficiencies of older players is to add two teams. 50 more ML jobs and you likely wouldn't have Kimbrel and Keuchel still available and a lot of the ML veterans who thought they should have a ML job (and in the past would have) would be on a team somewhere.

I think expansion happens with an eye on labor peace. Owners will have to weigh revenue sharing vs dollars gained through expansion fees and dollars lost due to potential work stoppage.

Southcack77
05-09-2019, 03:12 PM
Portland is kind of the obvious choice, IMO.

Great fan base for basketball and I think MLS. Their concepts for stadium look great.

Acuña’s Bat Flip
05-09-2019, 04:07 PM
Logistics be damned, I'd love a team in Charlotte. I'm a Braves fan forever but I can deal with a No. 2 :)

I don't know how I feel about this. I'm a Braves fan since birth so maybe if the Charlotte team stays in the AL.

AerchAngel
05-09-2019, 04:35 PM
Rays to Charlotte, a city near a million and would represent, is hard to deny.

Austin 850k ( 2 mil metro) and San Antonio (1.6 and like 2.5 to 3 mil metro pop) both have mil or more peeps would be great but they did not give interest.

Portland will take fans from Seattle.

Jaw
05-09-2019, 09:15 PM
I grew up and live close to Nashville and hope they don’t get it either but I have a feeling they will. I’ll be a Braves fan regardless either way.

I was a Houston Oilers fan in WNC when Charlotte got the Panthers. Now I'm in the Atlanta market. Being a fan of the distant team that gets no radio/TV time gets a lot harder when there is suddenly a local team is getting that coverage.

CyYoung31
05-09-2019, 09:18 PM
I was a Houston Oilers fan in WNC when Charlotte got the Panthers. Now I'm in the Atlanta market. Being a fan of the distant team that gets no radio/TV time gets a lot harder when there is suddenly a local team is getting that coverage.

Except that we live in the streaming era now.

Krgrecw
05-09-2019, 11:06 PM

Wouldn’t be good for the Braves. That would be the be the Orioles Vs Nationals territory battle part 2. The Braves would lose the Columbia, Charlotte and at least the Spartanburg market. That’s a lot of TV revenue.

Hulavol
05-10-2019, 12:04 PM
Wouldn’t be good for the Braves. That would be the be the Orioles Vs Nationals territory battle part 2. The Braves would lose the Columbia, Charlotte and at least the Spartanburg market. That’s a lot of TV revenue.

Not to mention our local poster from Gaffney...
The bigger problem would be the TV market situation...I would HATE to see Charlotte get a team.

Acuña’s Bat Flip
05-10-2019, 04:26 PM
Except that we live in the streaming era now.

Exactly! How else would Enscheff watch the games from Nevada?