PDA

View Full Version : July Minor League Players of the Month

rico43
08-01-2019, 01:30 AM
PITCHER

Kyle Wright (Gwinnett) 4-0 in four starts, 2.49 ERA, 27 K in 25.1 IP

HITTER

Bryce Ball (Danville) in 24 games, hit .302 with eight homers, seven doubles, 20 runs and 21 RBIs. Only 17 strikeouts, 12 walks. 1.049 OPS

BeanieAntics
08-01-2019, 01:47 AM
So what do we think about Bryce Ball? Is he actually a thing or is this just a product of an older guy playing in a lower level?

thewupk
08-01-2019, 03:49 AM
So what do we think about Bryce Ball? Is he actually a thing or is this just a product of an older guy playing in a lower level?

Likely just a product of an older guy playing in a lower level. He went 727th overall for a reason. If he is anything I suspect he will get promoted rather aggressively next year. Still can't ask for a better start to a pro career.

nsacpi
08-01-2019, 06:42 AM
Actually he is young for his draft class. Didnt turn 21 until July.

Early days but the 2019 draft looks very good.

Carp
08-01-2019, 07:43 AM
I've started to notice him lately. Even if he is a college guy, the K/BB ratio is very encouraging for a guy with his power. He's worth keeping an eye on for sure.

50PoundHead
08-01-2019, 08:31 AM
I don't see Ball as being old for Rookie Advanced. There's a ton of college players from the same-year draft that start out in the Appalachian League.

Southcack77
08-01-2019, 09:56 AM
I don't see Ball as being old for Rookie Advanced. There's a ton of college players from the same-year draft that start out in the Appalachian League.

Dallas Baptist is a good small school that produces draft picks, but still a small school. The stop prior to that was also way off the path so there is hope he’s under scouted a little.

That's he is performing as well or better than bigger college prospects is a decent sign as well. Just have to see how it goes from here.

Slippyjms
08-04-2019, 01:43 AM
Are we just gonna ignore Kyle’s start in ATL where he **** the bed. I feel like it should factor in.

thewupk
08-04-2019, 01:59 AM
Are we just gonna ignore Kyle’s start in ATL where he **** the bed. I feel like it should factor in.

Did it happen in the minors?

mqt
08-04-2019, 09:17 AM

Baseball Reference has a handy column for such things, and he’s in fact young for the league. By half a year.

zbhargrove
08-04-2019, 10:59 AM
Likely just a product of an older guy playing in a lower level. He went 727th overall for a reason. If he is anything I suspect he will get promoted rather aggressively next year. Still can't ask for a better start to a pro career.

He’s really not that old though... I remember he was one of the intriguing later signings that had some buzz on he interwebs and this board.

zbhargrove
08-04-2019, 11:01 AM

You realize MINOR league player of the month would likely not include any major league stats in the evaluation, right?