PDA

View Full Version : Wal-Mart

57Brave
11-27-2013, 07:42 AM
Evil?

Good for communities ?

Do you see cheap prices and ignore the rest?

Why do they treat their employees like crap?

zitothebrave
11-27-2013, 08:05 AM
Walmart like pretty much all big corporations is evil. Anyone who thinks they're good is wrong.

weso1
11-27-2013, 08:40 AM
I don't think they're evil or good. They just are what they are. While they hurt some they help others with their cheap prices.

It's just a bottom rung job and thus the benefits and pay should be that of a bottom rung job.

If you think Walmart is evil then you should also think those who work there are evil. They are the demons that help keep the business afloat.

BlackwaterPark
11-27-2013, 08:46 AM
Walmart and people that shop there are evil. I have not stepped foot in one, nor has my family in over 8 years

Tapate50
11-27-2013, 09:13 AM
I am sure they do their fair share of good, and fair share of bad. Just like most people out there...

Don't really have a feeling towards them one way or another. In college, they had a very liberal return policy I know that!

But yeah, don't have a feeling on WM.

sturg33
11-27-2013, 09:26 AM
I suppose they are evil for offering cheap prices for poor people

zitothebrave
11-27-2013, 09:34 AM

That lack of grasp on global economics is why america is losing ground to China at a rapid rate. Poor people don't need ****ty flat screen TVs.

sturg33
11-27-2013, 09:36 AM
That lack of grasp on global economics is why america is losing ground to China at a rapid rate. Poor people don't need ****ty flat screen TVs.

Hmmmm... you know that WM is the biggestg grocery store in the world, yes?

Tapate50
11-27-2013, 09:46 AM
I do not go there for electronics, but I'm sure some people do.

thethe
11-27-2013, 09:48 AM
The thing I usually forget about Walmart is that they employ more people than just those in their department stores. So there are good jobs working for Walmart. But, I do err on the side of thinking they are bad overall for this country. Its just more consolidation of wealth that in the end is bad for the country IMO.

50PoundHead
11-27-2013, 09:59 AM
Mark Thanksgiving Eve as a day on which I agreed wholeheartedly with weso1 and tapate50, with whom I hope I'm on congenial terms although we often disagree.

Corporations do what corporations do. They act in their self-interest as we all do, but I've been impressed by a lot of the stuff Wal-Mart is doing in communities through its foundation. Sure, a lot of that is window dressing, but they could be swallowing all that money and have chosen to do some interesting and good things with it.

I probably don't agree with a lot of their corporate uber-politics, but they get to participate in the free market. I don't shop there much (only when it's the closest store when I'm on a road trip), but that's my choice.

yeezus
11-27-2013, 02:25 PM
Was watching Maher talk about walmart. I'm not sure how anyone can defend this place.
He said one of the stores was having a food drive........for their OWN EMPLOYEES.
You sell food, and the people you employ cannot afford food? 4 of the 10 richest people in the US are heirs to the walmart throne. They pay minimum wage, and avoid paying a huge amount of employees health care by carefully working out hours.
Look at costco, then look at walmart.

sturg33
11-27-2013, 02:45 PM
Was watching Maher talk about walmart. I'm not sure how anyone can defend this place.
He said one of the stores was having a food drive........for their OWN EMPLOYEES.
You sell food, and the people you employ cannot afford food? 4 of the 10 richest people in the US are heirs to the walmart throne. They pay minimum wage, and avoid paying a huge amount of employees health care by carefully working out hours.

OK… I'll look at Costco…

Now I'm looking at Walmart.

Walmart is wildly more successful.

Tapate50
11-27-2013, 02:53 PM

Could have stopped at Maher.

CK86
11-27-2013, 03:38 PM
I'd be happy to support Costco but they're nowhere near my area so until then I'll shop at Walmart. Cheaper prices means I'm there, fully admit it.

CrimsonCowboy
11-27-2013, 04:02 PM
Cannot not stand them. Worst customer service I have ever seen. Haven't spent a dime there in over six years and don't plan on doing so any time soon. I go into Target a lot. Don't have a Costco in Mobile, though rumors a couple months ago said one was coming in the near future.

goldfly
11-27-2013, 04:41 PM

wal mart is awful for this country and the people

they are a terrible business and i haven't given them a penny in over a decade and i plan to live a while and never give them a penny again

goldfly
11-27-2013, 04:43 PM
OK… I'll look at Costco…

Now I'm looking at Walmart.

Walmart is wildly more successful.

amazing

acesfull86
11-27-2013, 04:53 PM
I don't think they're evil or good. They just are what they are. While they hurt some they help others with their cheap prices.

It's just a bottom rung job and thus the benefits and pay should be that of a bottom rung job.

This.

When I drive by WalMart, there are two steady lanes of traffic coming from two different directions feeding into an already packed parking lot. Doesn't matter what day or what time. I think it's absurd to call something unequivocally evil when they have as many regular customers as Wal Mart does. These people are shopping there of their own free will for their own benefit, not for the benefit of the Walton family. Hitler? Evil. Bin Laden? Evil. Wal Mart? It's a ******* department store, people.

goldfly
11-27-2013, 05:03 PM
walmart has done more harm to this country than Bin Laden

The Chosen One
11-27-2013, 05:08 PM

Questionable. Bin Laden, whom is responsible for 9/11, forced us into the Patriot Act to protect our country "at any cost". So he's helped destroy civil liberties, on top of give our "leaders" an excuse to go marching into other countries because we feel like it and throw away American lives. The War on Terror has killed many innocent non-Americans over the years, and it' only hurts us more.

We throw away all this money away at the defense budget because of the fear of what might happen again.

yeezus
11-27-2013, 05:33 PM
Questionable. Bin Laden, whom is responsible for 9/11, forced us into the Patriot Act to protect our country "at any cost". So he's helped destroy civil liberties, on top of give our "leaders" an excuse to go marching into other countries because we feel like it and throw away American lives. The War on Terror has killed many innocent non-Americans over the years, and it' only hurts us more.

We throw away all this money away at the defense budget because of the fear of what might happen again.

One could argue he gave the gov't an avenue to do what they were going to do anyway.

yeezus
11-27-2013, 05:34 PM
Could have stopped at Maher.

Refute what I said.
They're having a food drive for their own employees. Is that not...****ing sad?
Do they not treat and pay their employees like garbage?

The Chosen One
11-27-2013, 05:53 PM
One could argue he gave the gov't an avenue to do what they were going to do anyway.

More or less.

His actions just basically cut the red tape and gave them the perfect excuse to enact it anyways.

goldfly
11-27-2013, 05:56 PM

blaming bin laden for "forcing us into the patriot act" etc is like blaming the hearse for your death

acesfull86
11-27-2013, 06:03 PM
Refute what I said.
They're having a food drive for their own employees. Is that not...****ing sad?
Do they not treat and pay their employees like garbage?

...and yet those employees continue to work there under such awful conditions. I'll never understand why the blame will be directed at the company employing these people and not the millions of other companies not employing these people (at higher wages). At least Wal-Mart is creating A job which is better than NO job. Like Weso said, it's a business with a lot of bottom rung jobs paying wages/benefits commensurate with the low level of skill required to perform those jobs.

57Brave
11-27-2013, 08:43 PM
I watched a show last night about Appalachian coal mining circa 1920-50's.
the coal companies came in bought up all the usable land and set up towns.
Generations worked the mines. Together -as in shoulder to shoulder.

"Like Weso said, it's a business with a lot of bottom rung jobs paying wages/benefits commensurate with the low level of skill required to perform those jobs."

//////////////////////

pop quiz ....

How did those generations of mining families finally get fair working conditions ?

sturg33
11-27-2013, 09:20 PM

I would actually like to read, in specifics, why you think this. (in your own words)

weso1
11-27-2013, 09:27 PM
I would actually like to read, in specifics, why you think this. (in your own words)

haha

goldfly
11-27-2013, 10:46 PM

will try to hit a few spots for ya while waiting on my ride to go see this band

*wal mart is at least 10% of the trade deficit with China on their own
*has helped contribute to manufacturing jobs leaving the USA
*they pay their workers a non living wage (thus meaning they have to get on food stamps etc etc to just survive)
*they destroy local business cause a small mom and pop company can't compete with their prices (predatory pricing) since Wal mart lobbied and got a break on taxes. 60% of local business money stays in the community making communities flourish
*when their sweetheart of a deal ends they close up shop in that community (a lot of the times), leaving a huge vacant building and then moving to another location outside the city limits getting another sweetheart deal etc etc and the cycle continues
*lack of insurance to over half of their staff

got to roll though now but to argue Wal Mart is good is soulless and pathetic and is a great example of everything that is wrong with this country. just making a **** ton of money and not caring what it does to the people/community/town/state/country/world isn't something that should be praised. in fact, the opposite should be done

have a good thanksgiving

The Chosen One
11-27-2013, 10:56 PM
But goldfly, they're wildly successful. Just because they know how to rig the game better than everyone else, don't blame them.

sturg33
11-28-2013, 12:04 AM
will try to hit a few spots for ya while waiting on my ride to go see this band

*wal mart is at least 10% of the trade deficit with China on their own
*has helped contribute to manufacturing jobs leaving the USA
*they pay their workers a non living wage (thus meaning they have to get on food stamps etc etc to just survive)
*they destroy local business cause a small mom and pop company can't compete with their prices (predatory pricing) since Wal mart lobbied and got a break on taxes. 60% of local business money stays in the community making communities flourish
*when their sweetheart of a deal ends they close up shop in that community (a lot of the times), leaving a huge vacant building and then moving to another location outside the city limits getting another sweetheart deal etc etc and the cycle continues
*lack of insurance to over half of their staff

got to roll though now but to argue Wal Mart is good is soulless and pathetic and is a great example of everything that is wrong with this country. just making a **** ton of money and not caring what it does to the people/community/town/state/country/world isn't something that should be praised. in fact, the opposite should be done

have a good thanksgiving

1. OK?

2. So? Blame the government and unions for that one

3. Again, why are you blaming Walmart? Why not blame the employees who are choosing to work there? Or blame other heartless companies for not voluntarily stealing Walmart workers away with great wages

4. How are they destroying local business, if they are providing goods locally? Why is cheaper prices bad for the "local community." I guarantee you that Walmart provides more tax dollars back into the local community than any mom and pop shop

5. This makes them evil? Should they not have this right?

6. Why should a company pay health insurance to millions of employees who work part time and are highly unskilled and are likely to not be with the company in 6 months? Retail workers have the highest turnover rate in any business in the world, yet employees are supposed to invest millions in people who won't be with the company very long? Also, why is a corporation not offering health insurance an evil thing? Your god Obama just gave those folks an "affordable" option, so win-win.

Having said all of that, even if all your 6 claims are 100% left, I'm not sure how you can compare the "evilness" to somebody like Bin Laden

Metaphysicist
11-28-2013, 12:17 AM
Wal-Mart actively distorts the conditions of competition. Without a level playing field there isn't actually a free market. If you actually loved the free market, you would be against Wal-Mart.

I don't have anything against mega-stores, per se, but Wal-Mart stores usually seem a little bit sad on the inside. Kind of a depressing place to go.

The Chosen One
11-28-2013, 12:21 AM
Well Meta you have it wrong.

See from what I've been able to discern, monopolies or entities that are near monopolies are more than acceptable as long as it's done by a private sector company. If it's done by the government (efficient and cheap healthcare), then it's BAAAAAAD.

sturg33
11-28-2013, 12:34 AM
was the "efficient and cheap healthcare" line meant to be a joke?

zitothebrave
11-28-2013, 07:37 AM
Hmmmm... you know that WM is the biggestg grocery store in the world, yes?

You think those groceries are coming from America?

Even at that ignoring all that, I'm still baffled you support Walmart who's arguably the biggest abuser of corporate Welfare in the world I'd think you who wants everyone off the Government teet would not be cool with that. But I guess it's easy to say you're against corporate welfare but not follow your beliefs with companies who exploit it.

ChapelHillMatt
11-28-2013, 08:05 AM
So I'm assuming none of you have ever shopped at Wal Mart then? I hope you wouldn't support something financially that is so bad for this country. They don't have good customer service but they are the #1 retailer in the country. They must be doing something right.

sturg33
11-28-2013, 09:30 AM
You think those groceries are coming from America?

Even at that ignoring all that, I'm still baffled you support Walmart who's arguably the biggest abuser of corporate Welfare in the world I'd think you who wants everyone off the Government teet would not be cool with that. But I guess it's easy to say you're against corporate welfare but not follow your beliefs with companies who exploit it.

No. I hate corporate welfare. But at least Walmart provides jobs and taxes back into the system. Plus they offer cheap prices for goods that people want. I'm not saying they're some amazing saint, but you guys are acting like their the devil himself

Krgrecw
11-28-2013, 10:26 AM
Zito, those groceries are coming from America.

If walmart wasn't in the position they are in, some other company would be in that position doing the same exact things that walmart does. Every company looks for every loophole that they can use for Thier advantage. Companies have to

goldfly
11-28-2013, 11:40 AM
So I'm assuming none of you have ever shopped at Wal Mart then? I hope you wouldn't support something financially that is so bad for this country. They don't have good customer service but they are the #1 retailer in the country. They must be doing something right.

i don't

i support local/small business

i haven't spent a penny in that hell hole in over a decade

zitothebrave
11-28-2013, 11:50 AM
Zito, those groceries are coming from America.

If walmart wasn't in the position they are in, some other company would be in that position doing the same exact things that walmart does. Every company looks for every loophole that they can use for Thier advantage. Companies have to

No they aren't. Some are but not many. Hell groceries at most grocery stores don't comefrom America, read the labels on them. IIRC a lot of fruits and vegetables at big chains like that except for from peak season come from south america. I've never been to Walmart and looked at their produce and said man does that look good. Of course I regularly shop at Farmers Markets and Co-ops so I'm used to good looking produce that isn't pumped full of nastiness.

The Chosen One
11-28-2013, 03:53 PM
Ahh yes. Wal Mart, the company that's pretty much started the entire start Black Friday on Thanksgiving trend now. A few years ago they opened at 11pm. Then they opened at 8pm. Then at 4pm. Now they're open at noon. Next year they'll probably just be open the entire day.

goldfly
11-28-2013, 04:24 PM
Having said all of that, even if all your 6 claims are 100% left, I'm not sure how you can compare the "evilness" to somebody like Bin Laden

bin laden knocked down some buildings and killed 3000 people or so

the long term negative affects of wal mart are way greater to the country as a whole in my eyes

57Brave
11-28-2013, 04:37 PM

the long term negative affects of wal mart are way greater to the country as a whole in my eyes

"Mr Peabody's coal train
has hauled it
away"

///

just noticed I hit
#500 -- when I hit 500 on the old board IO sent me a PM congratulating me.
I'm sure quoting John Prine on this 500th would have made him smile

weso1
11-28-2013, 04:43 PM
This thread reminded me of a nice black friday deal Walmart was having. Thanks for the reminder steak sauce. Just bought something online.

goldfly
11-28-2013, 04:46 PM
"Mr Peabody's coal train
has hauled it
away"

///

just noticed I hit
#500 -- when I hit 500 on the old board IO sent me a PM congratulating me.
I'm sure quoting John Prine on this 500th would have made him smile

you know Mr Prine is still alive, right?

weso1
11-28-2013, 05:35 PM

Should have stuck with "ha ha" as this is quite possibly the worst defense of an absurd opinion that I've ever read. First, you're simplifying the effect Bin Laden has had on the US to hilariously simplistic levels just to fit your agenda. We are at war with Al Qaeda and we wouldn't be if it weren't for Bin Laden. This has had a hugely negative impact on the US. And the way you gloss over the impact of 9/11 is akin to saying, well Hitler just killed a few people and invaded some countries. Clearly the effect of the bombings was much worse than you imply.

But the main problem is that you're comparing verifiable facts with your opinions. I mean it's unquestionable fact that Bin Laden had a significant negative impact on the US. It's debatable that Walmart even has a net negative impact on the US at all.

Now, is it possible that your statement is true? Yes, but flatly stating it as fact is silly.

57Brave
11-28-2013, 05:59 PM
you know Mr Prine is still alive, right?

Heard the other day he's been diagnosed with lung cancer. Can't say prognosis -- but he is in his 70's I think

sturg33
11-28-2013, 06:12 PM
My neighbor works at Walmart as a cashier. She told me that anyone working today is getting double pay and gets 1 day of shopping for 25% before Christmas… THOSE BASTARDS!!!!

The Chosen One
11-28-2013, 06:47 PM
My neighbor works at Walmart as a cashier. She told me that anyone working today is getting double pay and gets 1 day of shopping for 25% before Christmas… THOSE BASTARDS!!!!

That double pay is pennies to what Wal-Mart is going to bring in after their sales. Where do you think that extra pay is going to go? Oh wait you said 1 day of shopping for 25% before Christmas? It's going to go RIGHT back to Wal-Mart's pockets! What a genius idea! Have people work and "pay" them extra, when you know they're going to invest it right back into the company!

And holiday pay is usually just overtime rate. That's a requirement if I'm not mistaken.

And the fact of the matter is, it's the principle and moral of asking someone to work on a holiday that's meant to be about giving thanks.

Sooner or later, Christmas will be just another day of the year.

But for some of you, it's all about competing and making as much money as possible.

The guy who managed Pizza Hut and closed it down because he didn't want his workers to have to work on this day, got fired by the franchisee and was re-hired by corporate. Great PR stunt by corporate, don't want to look like complete bastards.

Also, chances are if your neighbor is a cashier at Wal-Mart, they're probably not the brightest to begin with so they probably think they're getting double pay when in reality they're likely not.

The Chosen One
11-28-2013, 06:53 PM
I can't believe some of you actually condone corporations making people work on what has traditionally been a day to spend with family. Like I said, Christmas is next.

And you say liberals are destroying this country? This is capitalism at some of it's worst. No moral or principle, it's just about the bottom dollar and whoever disagrees is just going to fall behind in the line.

It's not about that. If you're going to fight for Wal Mart's freedom to be open because the "market" demands it (which is stupid, because it just shows if you feed the mob blood, the mob will keep drinking), then don't pretend you give two ****s about the people who work for Wal-Mart to begin with and tout Wal-Mart as a great company that provides a service of giving low prices to people. Because we're seeing the cost of those low prices in the form of destroying a family tradition. It's disgusting, and the fact some of you look the other way on this issue because Wal-Mart has the right to make a huge profit is even more disgusting.

acesfull86
11-28-2013, 07:12 PM
Do you condone local businesses making their employees work on holidays because I stopped at about 5 of them today.

This isn't a big corporation, Wal-Mart problem...everything is open today. Everyone's favorite tradition - the NFL on Thanksgiving - requires the hard work of thousands of people that aren't athletes getting paid 7 figures (concession workers, security, all the people involved in producing the games for tv, etc). I'm assuming you turned off your tv in protest today? You're a better man than me.

Tapate50
11-28-2013, 07:15 PM
I do not want to be in the business of telling people or corps how much money they can make.

It is a freedom of choice to either shop, not shop, work or not work there. People have spoken and people continue to do both. Go get y'all a picket sign and go picket tomorrow am instead of whining like a bunch of hens on a niche sports forum.

Walmart and bin laden... Wow. I have heard a lot in my day, but that takes the cake ....

thethe
11-28-2013, 07:23 PM
I do not want to be in the business of telling people or corps how much money they can make.

It is a freedom of choice to either shop, not shop, work or not work there. People have spoken and people continue to do both. Go get y'all a picket sign and go picket tomorrow am instead of whining like a bunch of hens on a niche sports forum.

Walmart and bin laden... Wow. I have heard a lot in my day, but that takes the cake ....

Consider the source. I wasn't surprised.

The Chosen One
11-28-2013, 07:43 PM
Do you condone local businesses making their employees work on holidays because I stopped at about 5 of them today.

This isn't a big corporation, Wal-Mart problem...everything is open today. Everyone's favorite tradition - the NFL on Thanksgiving - requires the hard work of thousands of people that aren't athletes getting paid 7 figures (concession workers, security, all the people involved in producing the games for tv, etc). I'm assuming you turned off your tv in protest today? You're a better man than me.

Small business following the lead of big business.

Small business can't compete with big business if they take a day off that big business will capitalize on. Another example of Wal-Mart destroying small business, by forcing them to open up.

Those football games, the people working are not working the entire day.

Once again, some of you guys look away while the train wreck occurs. You simply say the people have spoken and want Wal Mart to be open. That's not the point. Like I said before, you feed the mob blood, and the mob will continue to drink. It's interesting when the majority of Americans actually at some point supported universal healthcare before the GOP painted it in a bad light, the conservatives played the tyranny of the majority card. But yet because Wal-Mart is a private company and does this, we have to respect their right to do so.

The reason why we have federal holidays and national holidays, is so people COULD get the day off. I was ok with Black Friday years ago opening at 3-4-5 AM on FRIDAY. People were out shopping then too. But because people are still shopping that makes it ok?

It's amazing how you tout the free market whenever the "people" decide which is the best product, but when it comes to doing the right thing and the people get it wrong you won't stand up and say anything.

McDonalds only opened up on Thanksgiving because they realized since all the other retailers were following Wal-Mart's lead of opening on Thanksgiving, they were missing out too. It's not all about the money, it's about doing what's right. Thanksgiving and Christmas were the TWO guaranteed days on the calendar people could get away from work and spend the day with their families. Even if you didn't celebrate them on religious grounds they were pretty much guaranteed off days. Now that corporate America is on the cusp of exploiting both of those holidays on the exact days and not just the days surrounding them, you guys just look the other way because "the people want it". If school boards forced kids to go to school on Christmas sighting it being a religious holiday and no longer applicable, some of you would claim attack on Christianity in a heartbeat. Wal Mart wants people to work on Thanksgiving and Christmas? No biggie, that's what the "market" demands.

You'll stand up for the right to bear arms, cutting entitlements, but you won't stand up for average people getting screwed over by the hand that feeds them because they should be happy the hand is feeding them to begin with and holding all the cards. And when they try to voice their concern and fight back, you simply throw it in their face by saying "If you don't like it, someone else will do it". That's every corporations dream is when their consumer loses compassion for the worker, and has the same attitude of "you're easily replaceable".

Tapate50
11-28-2013, 07:54 PM
Cool, so YOU want to decide what/where/when the mob drinks?

Hm. That sounds worse than A business choosing when where they want to run their own business.

I see you didn't shut the site down today... You should have decided we couldn't post today because it was better for us and getting family time .

57Brave
11-28-2013, 07:55 PM
Small business following the lead of big business.

It's amazing how you tout the free market whenever the "people" decide which is the best product, but when it comes to doing the right thing and the people get it wrong you won't stand up and say anything.

You'll stand up for the right to bear arms, cutting entitlements, but you won't stand up for average people getting screwed over by the hand that feeds them because they should be happy the hand is feeding them to begin with and holding all the cards. And when they try to voice their concern and fight back, you simply throw it in their face by saying "If you don't like it, someone else will do it". That's every corporations dream is when their consumer loses compassion for the worker, and has the same attitude of "you're easily replaceable".

My two cents? It's real simple -- it isn't them that is being "asked" to work a holiday with a gun to their head.
Wait until ...

The Chosen One
11-28-2013, 07:57 PM
Cool, so YOU want to decide what/where/when the mob drinks?

Hm. That sounds worse than A business choosing when where they want to run their own business.

I see you didn't shut the site down today... You should have decided we couldn't post today because it was better for us and getting family time .

Yeah, I forgot the part where I was pulling in hundreds of dollars today. Oh wait nevermind.

Excellent comparison. We've been reduced to comparing spending a few minutes of leisure time on a website that has no profit, to corporations sticking it to the average joe by exploiting what's traditionally a family holiday to earn millions in profit today.

acesfull86
11-28-2013, 08:18 PM
Those football games, the people working are not working the entire day.

Come on, now we're just getting silly. Whether that's true or not, what's your acceptable cutoff for how long people are allowed to work on days you feel should be designated to family time? If it's OK for the parking attendant at Dallas' stadium to work a 5 and 1/2 hour shift because the people want football with their turkey, is it OK for the Wal-Mart to have their cashiers work 5 and 1/2 hour shifts because the people want discount laptops once they've digested their meals?

Commerce takes two to tango. I don't blame producers anymore than I blame consumers. Actually, I don't blame anyone because I don't think anyone deserves blame.

BTW, there is one ginormous difference between universal healthcare and Wal-Mart...the entire country isn't forced to go to Wal-Mart. I don't know why this distinction needs to be made on seemingly a daily basis.

sturg33
11-28-2013, 09:54 PM
Keith is going off the rails here…

By the way, when you said my neighbor "isn't that smart" because she works at Walmart, you're basically proving our points… Why should Walmart be forced to offer great pay and health care to not smart and unskilled workers?

Oh an one last thing… the folks who work at these places love the opportunity to work these holidays specifically for the extra pay. My neighbor voluntarily took a double shift today (4 pm to 6 am) because she wanted the money. I used to work at Target, and I always wanted the holiday shifts cause I wanted the money. I can assure you, WM doesn't have to "force" many folks to work these shifts.

sturg33
11-28-2013, 09:57 PM
Another thing… these retailers are opening up earlier and earlier because the dumbs American public is basically begging for it. If the sheep wouldn't be lining up around the building 3 hours before opening, I can promise you they wouldn't open up.

weso1
11-28-2013, 11:45 PM
I always buy my turkeys at Walmart just so I can rub it in the face of cashier's who don't get to enjoy Thanksgiving. I just like to stick the knife in a bit further.

zitothebrave
11-28-2013, 11:52 PM

I can coutn the number of times I've bought something at Walmart in the past decade on one hand. Last 2 times was to buy some ****ty pants for a job I didn't care about and they were all that was open at that time of night. Time before that were probably all ages ago when I worked right near one of them and would sometimes run in to grab something like body wash, deodorant, or something of that sort. More than their corporate douchebaggery, I hate being in a Walmart, everytime I'm in one I want to escape, not buy. Target is an evil corporation too but their stores have less of that effect on me.

BTW I think a store should have the option of opening on Thanksgiving if they want to, many businesses are (grocery stores, gas stations, Wawas, etc.) my gripe with the stores opening on Thanksgiving is that the consumers are so stupid to not enjoy spending time with their families. I love Thanksgiving I get to spend time with my family and enjoy myself, I would hate to be someone who either cut that time short or don't do that at all because of the desire to have a ****ty TV or Toy. Nothing is worth the time you miss spending with your family but sadly some twatwaffles don't get that today.

zitothebrave
11-28-2013, 11:54 PM
Another thing… these retailers are opening up earlier and earlier because the dumbs American public is basically begging for it. If the sheep wouldn't be lining up around the building 3 hours before opening, I can promise you they wouldn't open up.

As someone who worked retail way too much, I refuse to shop Black Friday or Black Friday weekend, unless it's online. For example I got a sweet deal on a pair of Vibrams which were half off, that rocked. But I wouldn't go to a store because I want to stop that moronic consumerism for ****ty deals.

goldfly
11-29-2013, 01:41 AM
Heard the other day he's been diagnosed with lung cancer. Can't say prognosis -- but he is in his 70's I think

no doubt

he is alive

and beaten cancer before

goldfly
11-29-2013, 01:55 AM
Should have stuck with "ha ha" as this is quite possibly the worst defense of an absurd opinion that I've ever read. First, you're simplifying the effect Bin Laden has had on the US to hilariously simplistic levels just to fit your agenda. We are at war with Al Qaeda and we wouldn't be if it weren't for Bin Laden. This has had a hugely negative impact on the US. And the way you gloss over the impact of 9/11 is akin to saying, well Hitler just killed a few people and invaded some countries. Clearly the effect of the bombings was much worse than you imply.

But the main problem is that you're comparing verifiable facts with your opinions. I mean it's unquestionable fact that Bin Laden had a significant negative impact on the US. It's debatable that Walmart even has a net negative impact on the US at all.

Now, is it possible that your statement is true? Yes, but flatly stating it as fact is silly.

love that in the same statement you think it is the worst defense while saying it might be true though

but my opinion is going off data that is factual and if it continues year in and year out, my opinion is then fact that is it is worse

i know, it isn't an opinion many will rush to agree with