PDA

View Full Version : If You Shop on Thanksgiving, You Are Part of the Problem...

goldfly
11-29-2013, 02:02 AM
"I'm a capitalist. It's not my religion, I won't bow before its altar, I won't kiss its ring.... I am not, however, a consumerist. I like the freedom and innovation of capitalism; I loathe the materialism and gluttony of consumerism."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/matt-walsh/shopping-on-thanksgiving_b_4310109.html?utm_hp_ref=fb&src=sp&comm_ref=false

thethe
11-29-2013, 08:16 AM
I agree. Our whole value system in this country is ****.

acesfull86
11-29-2013, 08:20 AM
You forgot the best quote of the article!

(on capitalism) "I've never heard anyone suggest a better system."

thethe
11-29-2013, 08:46 AM
Thats because it is the best system. I just wish advertising wasn't the most dominating force in this world.

weso1
11-29-2013, 08:48 AM
It's an over generalization because a lot of folks just want a great deal, but I agree with the message of too many people buying stuff they can't afford.

The Chosen One
11-29-2013, 09:37 AM
Even liberals love capitalism.

Some of us just feel it should have a few regulations.

Morning Joe the other day, when discussing the Pope's comments about capitalism, one of the conservative panelists said capitalism is by far the best system but when you have this much inequality and disproportion in the system, one day the people who keep getting screwed over too much will rebel and the consequences may be something neither of us want.

weso1
11-29-2013, 11:00 AM
Even liberals love capitalism.

Some of us just feel it should have a few regulations.

What you're describing is the conservative position. Free and fair trade. All the liberals I've ever known, including politicians want a lot more government involvement than just a few regulations.

And income inequality is due much more to federal and state government interference in the free market than it is due to free market capitalism. How much did crump say the federal government spends in federal subsidies per year. That's not a free and fair trade system that conservatives and libertarians support. Walmart can't control the market as much as they do without help from the government.

zitothebrave
11-29-2013, 11:10 AM
Free trade does not exist in this world. I'd argue it cannot exist and China proves why. Because a country's government can truly create an unfair marketplace.

bravesnumberone
11-29-2013, 04:34 PM
People fighting and getting trampled over for no reason.

I went last night for the first time ever and got my wife a Christmas present. Crowded, but everyone was well-behaved. Haven't left the house today though, and won't.

goldfly
12-02-2013, 02:57 AM
You forgot the best quote of the article!

no

i didn't