PDA

View Full Version : Libertarians and consenting cannibalism

weso1
11-30-2013, 04:25 PM
I'm curious where the libertarians stand on this one. Just read about a cannibalistic police officer from Germany on the Drudge Report. Apparently his meal was a willing participant. Should it be legal since it's 2 consenting adults? It is a victimless crime as long as the person is ok with being murdered and eaten.

yeezus
11-30-2013, 04:40 PM
I think this is a little unprecedented, and saying "oh you lunatics are fine with ANYTHING as long the two people want it!" is a little too black and white. I don't consider myself a libertarian, just giving my opinion.
I think other things need to be looked at. Is guy more likely to seek someone out to eat in the future as a result of this? Was he a cannibal before this? If the person who was eating was like, "look, would you please eat me? i'm going to kill myself" and the person obliged, i'm not sure he really did anything wrong.

zitothebrave
11-30-2013, 04:59 PM
No.

Because you can always end a marriage in divorce. You cannot come back to life after being killed.

CK86
11-30-2013, 08:24 PM
Disgusting.

Gary82
11-30-2013, 08:32 PM
I'm curious where the libertarians stand on this one. Just read about a cannibalistic police officer from Germany on the Drudge Report. Apparently his meal was a willing participant. Should it be legal since it's 2 consenting adults? It is a victimless crime as long as the person is ok with being murdered and eaten.

I'm not familiar with the story, but how can one establish that the man wanted to die and be eaten? I guess contracts would have to be drawn up, if you wanted it to be legal.

This is sort of related to assisted suicide; something that in theory, I support.

weso1
11-30-2013, 08:47 PM
I'm not familiar with the story, but how can one establish that the man wanted to die and be eaten? I guess contracts would have to be drawn up, if you wanted it to be legal.

This is sort of related to assisted suicide; something that in theory, I support.

That's a good question. Apparently there was an earlier case (yes it's happened more than once) where the cannibal fetish freaks filmed themselves. Apparently it clearly showed that it was a consenting act.

Metaphysicist
12-01-2013, 11:01 AM
Not a libertarian nor have I read anything about this story, but the legal counterargument would likely be that it is not possible to actually give "consent" to such a thing. Desire to be killed and eaten is probably prima facie evidence that a person is not right in the head, and thus incapable of giving true consent.

weso1
12-01-2013, 04:08 PM
Not a libertarian nor have I read anything about this story, but the legal counterargument would likely be that it is not possible to actually give "consent" to such a thing. Desire to be killed and eaten is probably prima facie evidence that a person is not right in the head, and thus incapable of giving true consent.

So hypothetically speaking then if it could be proven in court that the person being eaten was in fact right in the head, would a libertarian consider this practice legal? Would any consenting murder be considered legal as long as the person being murdered is legally able to consent. Or this where libertarians draw the line.

goldfly
12-01-2013, 04:32 PM
it wouldn't bother me personally