PDA

View Full Version : From the Net Today

57Brave
12-04-2013, 03:15 PM
The reality that's gonna slam the opponents of the bill in the face like a frying pan on a cartoon cat is that, no matter how many people have signed up by then, 100,000 or 10 million, the benefits are gonna kick off on New Year's Day. And very quickly after that some newly-insured constituent in a district of a GOP House member who opposes Obamacare is going to go to the doctor. And that constituent is gonna discover that being able to go to the doctor is a very good thing. And that constituent will let others know that he wasn't shivved by the ghost of Karl Marx, that he just got a prescription to clear up that skin problem that's been bugging him and all he had to shell out was his co-pay. And then every Republican in the country knows that, at that moment, it's game over, man, game over. You will take away people's Obamacare when you can pry it out of their cold, dead hands.

Tapate50
12-04-2013, 03:35 PM
The reality that's gonna slam the opponents of the bill in the face like a frying pan on a cartoon cat is that, no matter how many people have signed up by then, 100,000 or 10 million, the benefits are gonna kick off on New Year's Day. And very quickly after that some newly-insured constituent in a district of a GOP House member who opposes Obamacare is going to go to the doctor. And that constituent is gonna discover that being able to go to the doctor is a very good thing. And that constituent will let others know that he wasn't shivved by the ghost of Karl Marx, that he just got a prescription to clear up that skin problem that's been bugging him and all he had to shell out was his co-pay. And then every Republican in the country knows that, at that moment, it's game over, man, game over. You will take away people's Obamacare when you can pry it out of their cold, dead hands.

57:pound: ACA

Cool, and it is TOTALLY something they would have been able to do before. Obama didn't invent health insurance dude.

57Brave
12-04-2013, 03:43 PM
Besides having no grasp the political landscape your reading abilities now come into question ?
"... some newly-insured constituent in a district of a GOP House member who opposes Obamacare is going to go to the doctor"

Before this bill, the fictional constituent was more than likely not eligible for health insurance due to a pre existing condition
Jan 1 ------------- not so much

////////////////////
"... slam the opponents of the bill in the face like a frying pan on a cartoon cat ..."

Tapate50
12-04-2013, 04:08 PM

Besides having no grasp the political landscape your reading abilities now come into question ?
"... some newly-insured constituent in a district of a GOP House member who opposes Obamacare is going to go to the doctor"

Before this bill, the fictional constituent was more than likely not eligible for health insurance due to a pre existing conditionJan 1 ------------- not so much

////////////////////
"... slam the opponents of the bill in the face like a frying pan on a cartoon cat ..."

I don't think you know what reading comprehension means.

If you CHANGE THE SCENARIO after the fact, does not mean there is anything wrong with my reading comprehension.

But I reckon those are your usual tactics. Shouldn't have been blindsided I guess. That's on me...

57Brave
12-04-2013, 04:28 PM
Tactics ?? That implies I wish to counter someone or something.

Once again, I bring up a topic and you turn it into a name calling / spitting contest --- why should I spit back? I consistently have facts,data and history do my spitting.
What you got? Never see your math or you articulate a stance. Backed up with data , facts or reality.

Tactics --- you're funny. Oh yeah that's a cute sweater

sturg33
12-04-2013, 04:41 PM
The ACA has been law for 3 years. We should stop trying to get rid of it.

The 2nd amendment has been law for 222 years. We should completely dismantle it.

#57logic

Tapate50
12-04-2013, 04:44 PM
Well you throw a scenario out that wasn't true, it was countered, then changed the scenario to make it true again. Go with what works I guess.

I am not against healthcare for all, but it just wasn't the best solution. It wasn't even the best solution for the system they chose. Poor choices IMO, and will end up costing even more when we have to "fix" down the line which means more wasted $.

You didn't need another thread for this fwiw. Same topic. Probably should be merged.

I'm glad you like the sweater. I got it from Costco on Black Friday.

The Chosen One
12-04-2013, 04:59 PM
The ACA has been law for 3 years. We should stop trying to get rid of it.

The 2nd amendment has been law for 222 years. We should completely dismantle it.

#57logic

Don't think any liberals here would want to dismantle the 2nd Amendment, but rather modify it to be in line with modern artillery.

Every liberal I talk to in real life, still believes in the right to own a gu for self-protection. I think 99.5% of the people regardless of your political affiliation would agree

sturg33
12-04-2013, 05:35 PM
Don't think any liberals here would want to dismantle the 2nd Amendment, but rather modify it to be in line with modern artillery.

Every liberal I talk to in real life, still believes in the right to own a gu for self-protection. I think 99.5% of the people regardless of your political affiliation would agree

Is that why guns are being confiscated in New York?

jpx7
12-04-2013, 05:50 PM
I am not against healthcare for all, but it just wasn't the best solution.

If you change not against to strongly in favor of, this is pretty much a sentiment I share.

The Chosen One
12-04-2013, 06:21 PM
If you change not against to strongly in favor of, this is pretty much a sentiment I share.

It appears it's possible for common ground after all.

57Brave
12-04-2013, 10:32 PM
GOP Lawmaker Open to Nuking Iran
—By Ben Dreyfuss| Wed Dec. 4, 2013 11:03 AM GMT

Rep. Duncan Hunter (R-CA) says he hopes the United States doesn't go to war with Iran, but if it happens, he wants to see a nuclear attack.

On Wednesday, Hunter, a member of the House Armed Services Committee, told C-SPAN:

I don’t think it’s inevitable but I think if you have to hit Iran, you don’t put boots on the ground, you do it with tactical nuclear devices and you set them back a decade or two or three. I think that’s the way to do it with a massive aerial bombardment campaign.

He did not discuss the consequences of any possible radioactive fall-out.

You can watch the entire CSPAN interview here (if you're into that sort of thing).

Hunter isn't the only member of his party—or family—to talk about nuking Iran as a real possibility. When his father, former Representative Duncan Hunter, campaigned for president in 2007–with Ann Coulter's endorsement–he joined future-failed-candidates Rudy Giuliani, Mitt Romney and former Virginia governor Jim Gilmore to note that the US should be willing to use tactical nuclear weapons against Iranian nuclear facilities.

Hunter the Younger's suggestion, though, is moderate when compared to the recent proposal proffered by GOP mega-donor Sheldon Adelson, who called for nuking random spots in the Iranian desert to scare Tehran into abandoning its nuclear program.

57Brave
12-05-2013, 07:22 AM
I'm puzzled by the knee jerk reaction by some over the Iran deal. From what I read some see Iran as rigid Ayatollahs, madmen leaders and western style guys and girls out on a Friday night. There is another ption and that might be that sanctions have worked and there is pressure inside Iran to co-operate.
This:

December 5, 2013
Is Rouhani an Iranian Gorbachev?
By JOCHEN BITTNER

HAMBURG, Germany — The young woman walking down the steps of the Niavaran Palace in Tehran glares angrily into the sun. She has just finished a tour through the splendor and Versailles-like pomp of the last shah’s residence, today a museum. Is she angry at the arrogance and remoteness that Shah Mohammed Reza Pahlavi, toppled in 1979, showed toward his people?

“No,” she replies, somewhat baffled. “I’m angry at him because he let the revolution happen. This country would be better off today if it had been spared the Islamists.”

Traveling through Iran these days, you notice the agitation of the young. Defusing the conflict with the West over Iran’s nuclear enrichment program, it appears, is just one challenge for the new president, Hassan Rouhani. The other is the enrichment program going on within society itself.

According to a 2011 census, roughly 70 percent of Iranians are under age 40, and for this young generation — compared with their revolutionary parents — the theocratic government has been a lifelong source of frustration.

Mr. Rouhani knows that the shah was overthrown 34 years ago because he had lost touch with the needs and sentiments of the Iranians. The president obviously intends to avoid the same fate. It may be premature to call Mr. Rouhani an Iranian Gorbachev. It would be worse, though, if the West recognized him as such too late.

Of all the young Iranians I spoke with during a recent two-week visit, nearly everyone said they believe that Mr. Rouhani is a true reformer and that Iran has a chance of experiencing its own spring. “We don’t want a revolution like in the Arab states. Look what happened there. Chaos,” said a 30-year-old academic in Isfahan. “But you need to give Rouhani time. I mean, how many changes did Barack Obama bring about during his first term?”

In a cafe in the same city two women formed an unlikely pair over their macchiatos. One, in jeans, wore a head scarf but with obvious contempt, pushed back to reveal as much of her hair as tolerable. The other wore a chador, piously concealing everything but the oval of her face. What united them was their desire for the government to stay out of their private lives, regardless of whether they were religious or not.

The woman with the chador introduced herself as Mina, a 24-year-old sociology student. She told me that, as a believer, she was unhappy with the way Islam was being exploited for political ends in Iran. She said she had taken to the streets during the Green movement in 2009, only to be insulted by pious old men, who couldn’t believe that a member of their own flock was taking part in the anti-government protests.

“I told them I wasn’t one of them,” she said. “I told them I wanted to live my religion, but I didn’t want Islam to be used to govern a country.”

If this is the new godliness, I thought, how desperate and lonely must those in Iran feel who cling to the Quran as the only legitimate political guide?

You can meet those hard-liners during prayer time in the Friday Mosque in Shiraz. Around a thousand men had gathered to hear the sermon of Ayatollah Asadollah Imani, one of the proxies of Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, Iran’s supreme leader. What he conveys to his community are the thoughts and directives of Iran’s ultimate authority.

But what did he preach this Friday to the elderly and poor men in the mosque? Nothing less than a farewell to the age-old revolutionary doctrine that the West was an evil in itself; Ayatollah Imani informed his listeners that it was quite all right if Mr. Rouhani talked to the Americans.

“It is true, America has been suppressing us for six decades,” he said. “But if America wants to engage in a true dialogue involving dignity and respect, the Supreme Leader does not object to this dialogue. Nor should any reasonable person in Iran oppose it.”

As the crowd dispersed in front of the heavily guarded mosque, a journalist from a local newspaper whispered to me: “That’s it. Clear message. Khamenei stands behind Rouhani.”

Even if this reading holds true, even if the course is set for change, Mr. Rouhani and his men need to advance carefully. There are still ultraconservative clerics who control important parts of the economy and who would have a lot to lose from a rapprochement with the West, not only in a spiritual sense.

The hard-liners also have their grip on Iranian radio and television, which is one reason the foreign minister, Mohammad Javad Zarif, uses Facebook extensively to spread his views. His posts often include skillful, ironic put-downs of his critics on the religious right. The number of his followers in the social network is growing enormously.

The actual message behind all this might well be that this Iranian government is trying to find a new balance between the street and the mosque, between the secular and the sacred.

Who knows what such a new Iran might look like at the end of the process? What we do know, however, is that the revolutionary Arab states, coming from secular regimes, have so far fared badly in striking this balance. Iran is coming from the other side, and counting on reform rather than on revolution might give it a better chance.

The West, in other words, would be well-advised to engage quickly in yet another round of talks with the Iranians. But this time the focus should be not on limiting Iran’s nuclear ambitions, but on unleashing its people’s democratic aspirations.

Jochen Bittner is a political editor for the weekly newspaper Die Zeit.

57Brave
12-05-2013, 10:32 AM
The Rude Pundit ‏@rudepundit 56m

In a political discussion:
Other person: "So what do you think an independent is?"
Me: "A liar."

57Brave
12-05-2013, 08:59 PM
Ted McEnroe ‏@tmcenroe 19m

Just now: CNN=Mandela; MSNBC=Mandela; BBC=Mandela; AlJaz=Mandela; Fox=O’Reilly rants on Lady Gaga/Muppets special

Krgrecw
12-06-2013, 12:44 AM
Yeap 57 all those stations are talking about Mandela except for o'Reilly and o'Reilly will still get twice as many watchers as those 4 channels combined. Hell. Probably three times.

goldfly
12-06-2013, 01:22 AM
Yeap 57 all those stations are talking about Mandela except for o'Reilly and o'Reilly will still get twice as many watchers as those 4 channels combined. Hell. Probably three times.

not sure your point

57Brave
12-06-2013, 07:52 AM

It is called a "Race to The Bottom"
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/12/05/drudge-mandela-rush-limbaugh_n_4394585.html

Regardless how many go along for the ride

57Brave
12-06-2013, 08:35 AM
November Jobs Report
7.0%

http://qz.com/154737/us-jobs-report-november-2013/

57Brave
12-16-2013, 02:31 PM
For the first time, a public court has determined that the National Security Agency's collection of metadata on Americans' phone calls probably violates the Constitution and should be stopped...

In other words, the program, already faltering, may have just received its death blow.

//////
http://www.thewire.com/politics/2013/12/federal-judge-nsas-almost-orwellian-phone-data-collection-likely-violates-constitution/356207/

57Brave
12-16-2013, 04:54 PM
This is pretty cool !! http://www.thewire.com/politics/2013/12/terminally-ill-***-couples-illinois-can-get-married-right-away/356211/

Illinois's new *** marriage law doesn't go into effect until June, but some same-sex couples in the state won't have to wait that long. Thanks to U.S. District Judge Sharon Johnson Coleman's decision, couples where at least one partner has a terminal illness will no longer have to get a judge's order in order to wed early, starting on Monday.

jpx7
12-16-2013, 05:07 PM
Illinois's new *** marriage law

A "war" marriage law? Can Fearless Leader explain this to me?

Julio3000
12-16-2013, 07:49 PM
A "war" marriage law? Can Fearless Leader explain this to me?

It's emergency legislation proscribing the newly minted unions between all of the queer soldiers (thanks, Obama) and their Afghan counterparts. The troops are apparently returning home with their new spouses in tow, expecting full federal bennies, even though the only authorities to sanction the marriages were the local Afghan ***ords.

57Brave
12-31-2013, 04:10 PM
wow!!!!
Never would have thought this-- so exciting. A homophobic - racist reality TV actor and the guys from Duck Dynasty.
And some of you wonder ...

Former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin and some members of
the Duck Dynasty family will be on Fox News for its
New Year's Eve programming Tuesday night.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Hollywood/2013/12/30/Palin-Duck-Dynasty-Clan-on-Fox-News-for-NYE

////////////
and this:
The theory of evolution is right up there with the theory of gravity in terms of its universal acceptance among scientists.

http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2013/12/31/3108741/republicans-evolution-demographics

Dalyn
12-31-2013, 04:13 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v57/sandoz/cyanide/anus.jpg

57Brave
12-31-2013, 05:28 PM
this could get interesting. The founder of Home Depot threatens the Pope !
One comment read
"Restoration of a cathedral demonstrates compassion for the poor. Who knew?"

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/ken-langone-pope-francis

Interesting near future times

57Brave
01-02-2014, 08:49 PM
https://scontent-a-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/581598_10151911891886275_1028581055_n.jpg