PDA

View Full Version : What We Learned This Year

striker42
10-10-2019, 07:47 AM
Now that the year is over, it's a good time to look back and see what we learned about this team. Here's what I got:

Roland Acuna is the Venezuelan Trout- We knew Acuna was good but he took it to another level this year. If not for a late season injury he likely would have gone 40-40. He's a true 5 tool phenomenon who will anchor this team for the next decade.

Ozzie Albies is a Superstar- After a rough second half last year there were questions about exactly how good Ozzie would end up being. He put those to rest this year. He's one of the top 3 second basemen in the game and is only 22 years old.

Mike Soroka is a Beast- Soroka looked great before he got hurt last year but shoulder injuries can be hard to come back from. Soroka came back with a vengeance posting a 4 WAR. His FIP and xFIP show he might have been a little lucky but there's also a good chance he's one of those guys who outperforms those stats. Either way, he's a 22 year old anchor of this staff.

Freddie Freeman Wilts Under Pressure- When he was 23 playing on a team with guys like Brian McCann and Justin Upton, Freeman didn't have as much pressure on him in the playoffs. The team wasn't looking to him to put them on his shoulders. Fast forward to 2018 and 2019 and this is Freeman's team. Now, with the pressure on him, he's turned in two straight terrible post season series. In the past two post seasons he's gone 8 for 36 (.222 average) with 2 BBs, 9 Ks, and a .699 OPS. He also committed one of the biggest errors in Braves playoffs history. Freeman is not a guy to look to as the leader of your team in the playoffs.

Adam Duvall Has Something Left in the Tank- Duvall is not a starter and I probably don't even want him in a platoon role. But as a bat off the bench to face a tough lefty, he still has use. He came up with two of the biggest hits of the season in the playoffs and for that I'll tip my hat to him.

Max Fried is an Asset- Fried is kind of the anti-Soroka. While Mike consistently outperformed his FIP, Fried trailed his. To quote Bowman, there's reason to believe Fried could be poised for a big year. He K'd more than a batter an inning, had a BB/9 of 2.55, and had extremely unlucky HR/FB and BABIP. If Fried's luck equalizes, he could be better than Soroka. If he continues to polish his craft and improve, he's got ace potential.

So what did the rest of you learn?

The Chosen One
10-10-2019, 07:56 AM
Let's see if MLB changes the balls back next year.

according to thewupk , there's rumors the balls used in the postseason were not the same juiced balls during regular season. And the only reason I buy it is because we must've hit like 10 warning trackers that looked like they would've been out earlier this year.

As for what I learned, it's that Snitker still has not learned how to properly platoon, construct a lineup that takes into consideration middle-late game bullpen matchups, and rest guys regularly throughout the year.

nsacpi
10-10-2019, 08:10 AM
we need better veteran laidership

nsacpi
10-10-2019, 08:15 AM
Fried is pretty good. The peripherals are great but he had some bad luck with BABIP and HR/FB. He and Soroka give us a potent 1-2 at the top of the rotation.

I think we will let Julion go. What we do with the two open spots in the rotation will be the most interesting story of this off-season. AA could go in any number of directions:

1) Trade for an established starter
2) Go with two young uns in the rotation
3) Look for another Anibal off the trash heap
4) Give Newk one final try as a starter
5) Bring back Keuchel (or sign a similar caliber FA pitcher)

The direction he goes will of course be tied to how much he spends at third and catcher.

He will not be signing Gerrit Cole.

The Chosen One
10-10-2019, 08:17 AM
Should Anderson impress in ST, do you give him a spot out the gate or wait?

nsacpi
10-10-2019, 08:20 AM
Should Anderson impress in ST, do you give him a spot out the gate or wait?

I would wait. How long depends on how he shows in spring training and how strongly he comes out of the gate in AAA. Most likely scenario is a May/June callup.

Tapate50
10-10-2019, 08:32 AM
I learned resting your studs is bull****. They just fold in the playoffs for ya.

Super
10-10-2019, 08:39 AM
I learned resting your studs is bull****. They just fold in the playoffs for ya.

didn't realize Ronald folded.

PawPawMaxwell
10-10-2019, 08:39 AM
Inciarte and Markakis are mysteries for the short term. If able to move Inciarte and his 2 years then may keep Markakis as a LH bat ofer. Acuna, Riley, Duval, Pache all being RH poses questions. Waters may play in off season plans as well. Money always seems to play in Atlanta more than most teams. How soon can Contreras and Langoliers (Jackson to lesser degree) impact catcher situation. They may preclude a Grandal effort. I don't believe Donaldson is in the future for Braves nor is Teheran. Pick up Julios option would make him really untradeable IMO. Best to just say so long. Not even sure today what Foltys tomorrow holds.

Carp
10-10-2019, 08:41 AM
I learned Nick Markakis is done as anything more than bench bat. I don't even want him as part of a platoon because his defense is so bad. Get a real RFer this offseason. Keep one of Duval/Joyce as the back-up OFer, preferrably the player the opposite handed of whatever RFer you bring in.

I learned that Snitker will never make the right decision in regards to lineup construction or BP matchups. There should be absolutely zero reason Acuna is batting leadoff in 2020. Even if he says he's more comfortable there, you explain it to him that batting him somewhere between 2-4 is what is best for the team.

I learned that ignoring the BP this past off-season continued to be a mistake that bled into the postseason. Hopefully AA is more active this off-season in finding quality BP arms, or at least bringing in more ST invite type of guys to give us options.

I learned that Folty still hasn't learned not to fold like a lawn chair when things start to unravel. If we had better options, I'd happily trade him to a team that thinks they can "fix" him. As it stands, unless we sign/trade for a quality starter, we can't afford to trade away a guy that has the ability to be a solid mid rotation starter when we have no quality options to replace him. We already have to replace Keuchel.

nsacpi
10-10-2019, 08:43 AM
Inciarte and Markakis are mysteries for the short term. If able to move Inciarte and his 2 years then may keep Markakis as a LH bat ofer. Acuna, Riley, Duval, Pache all being RH poses questions. Waters may play in off season plans as well. Money always seems to play in Atlanta more than most teams. How soon can Contreras and Langoliers (Jackson to lesser degree) impact catcher situation. They may preclude a Grandal effort. I don't believe Donaldson is in the future for Braves nor is Teheran. Pick up Julios option would make him really untradeable IMO. Best to just say so long. Not even sure today what Foltys tomorrow holds.

I think Riley needs to be given some time in AAA to sort a few things out. Contreras will repeat in AA and Lango will probably start off the season in high A. Alex Jackson is a scrub. I think the situation at catcher does in fact merit spending some money on a guy like Grandal. Maybe too many other teams will be in on him. But we should at least kick the tires. Cervelli is not a bad Plan B imo if instead we end up spending big on a third baseman and bow out of the Grandal sweepstakes.

nsacpi
10-10-2019, 08:44 AM
I learned Nick Markakis is done as anything more than bench bat. I don't even want him as part of a platoon because his defense is so bad. Get a real RFer this offseason. Keep one of Duval/Joyce as the back-up OFer, preferrably the player the opposite handed of whatever RFer you bring in.

I learned that Snitker will never make the right decision in regards to lineup construction or BP matchups. There should be absolutely zero reason Acuna is batting leadoff in 2020. Even if he says he's more comfortable there, you explain it to him that batting him somewhere between 2-4 is what is best for the team.

I learned that ignoring the BP this past off-season continued to be a mistake that bled into the postseason. Hopefully AA is more active this off-season in finding quality BP arms, or at least bringing in more ST invite type of guys to give us options.

I learned that Folty still hasn't learned not to fold like a lawn chair when things start to unravel. If we had better options, I'd happily trade him to a team that thinks they can "fix" him. As it stands, unless we sign/trade for a quality starter, we can't afford to trade away a guy that has the ability to be a solid mid rotation starter when we have no quality options to replace him. We already have to replace Keuchel.

Muk will likely be back. But he can't be playing every day. That much is clear.

As for the pen, I think we will give opportunities to some of our younger arms: Wilson, Wright, Touki, Sobotka, Webb. Blend them in with Melancon, Greene and Jackson. Minter and Dayton will be part of the picture too.

Hudson2
10-10-2019, 08:48 AM
We learned what not to do and what guys we can trust in what situations. We learned that our manager has no clue about how to deploy certain guys in certain situations. I’m gonna say there are several changes this offseason coming. A few may be surprising.

Super
10-10-2019, 08:56 AM
Muk will likely be back. But he can't be playing every day. That much is clear.

wanna bet he'll play near every day is Snit is the manager?

nsacpi
10-10-2019, 08:58 AM
wanna bet he'll play near every day is Snit is the manager?

Snit will be given firmer guidance on certain things by the FO. That is also pretty clear. Other teams have taken the "rest" issue out of the manager's hands by pre-programming rest days. The Yankees have done that this season.

Carp
10-10-2019, 09:02 AM
Fried is pretty good. The peripherals are great but he had some bad luck with BABIP and HR/FB. He and Soroka give us a potent 1-2 at the top of the rotation.

I think we will let Julion go. What we do with the two open spots in the rotation will be the most interesting story of this off-season. AA could go in any number of directions:

1) Trade for an established starter
2) Go with two young uns in the rotation
3) Look for another Anibal off the trash heap
4) Give Newk one final try as a starter
5) Bring back Keuchel (or sign a similar caliber FA pitcher)

The direction he goes will of course be tied to how much he spends at third and catcher.

He will not be signing Gerrit Cole.

I'd kick the tires on an ace in the off-season. 2 candidates that have seen their stocks fall a bit this year are Blake Snell and Corey Kluber.

I kind of doubt we let JT go. He's a very good 4-5 type of pitcher that eats innings. I guess the question is what do we think JT will get on the open market. If AA doesn't think JT can get 12 million in FA, then it makes sense to let him go. If not, then I think you have to bring him back.

nsacpi
10-10-2019, 09:04 AM
I'd kick the tires on an ace in the off-season. 2 candidates that have seen their stocks fall a bit this year are Blake Snell and Corey Kluber.

I kind of doubt we let JT go. He's a very good 4-5 type of pitcher that eats innings. I guess the question is what do we think JT will get on the open market. If AA doesn't think JT can get 12 million in FA, then it makes sense to let him go. If not, then I think you have to bring him back.

My out-of-the box thought is Newk will be given another shot in the rotation. You can always move him back to the pen if it doesn't take. At which point Anderson should be ready.

Carp
10-10-2019, 09:07 AM
My out-of-the box thought is Newk will be given another shot in the rotation. You can always move him back to the pen if it doesn't take. At which point Anderson should be ready.

He should be given the opportunity along with others to fight for that 5th rotation spot in ST, assuming he isn't traded.

Super
10-10-2019, 09:10 AM
Snit will be given firmer guidance on certain things by the FO. That is also pretty clear. Other teams have taken the "rest" issue out of the manager's hands by pre-programming rest days. The Yankees have done that this season.

you are more optimistic than i am.

nsacpi
10-10-2019, 09:13 AM
He should be given the opportunity along with others to fight for that 5th rotation spot in ST, assuming he isn't traded.

Four way battle in spring training for 2 spots between Newk, Wright, Wilson and Touki. With Anderson held in reserve for a May/June callup.

It is also worth noting that Weigel, Davidson and Ynoa will be in AAA. During spring training, Touki was given first dibs as a starter. Fried did not emerge until Touki faltered. So there are lots of possibilities. Young pitchers develop in unpredictable ways.

Carp
10-10-2019, 09:31 AM
Four way battle in spring training for 2 spots between Newk, Wright, Wilson and Touki. With Anderson held in reserve for a May/June callup.

It is also worth noting that Weigel, Davidson and Ynoa will be in AAA. During spring training, Touki was given first dibs as a starter. Fried did not emerge until Touki faltered. So there are lots of possibilities. Young pitchers develop in unpredictable ways.

Gross. I want nothing to do with 2 of those pitchers in our rotation to start the year. 1 is good, but we need a rotation upgrade. Are any of them likely to be any better than JT in 2020? Going from DK and JT to two of Newk/Wright/Wilson/Touki is in all likelihood a huge downgrade.

thewupk
10-10-2019, 09:31 AM
I learned that Acuna is our best player. I have a feeling he takes over as the best hitter next year as well. Ozzie is also on a HOF path. Soroka and Fried are the future of our rotation. I'd give Newk another shot to start next year too. We need to make a move for a banger for either 3B or a corner OF spot. Whether that's Donaldson or someone else. Neck can't be starting in 2020.

Enscheff
10-10-2019, 09:51 AM
Ignoring moronic comments like “Freeman chokes under pressure because he was bad for 5 games”, the Braves didn’t actually learn much new information this year.

They should have already known the regulars needed more rest.

They should have already known Acuna and Albies were stars.

They should have already known guys like Markakis and Duvall are role players.

They should have already known a healthy Ender is the 2nd best OFer on the roster.

They should have already known Newk was a BP arm.

They should have already known Soroka was a pillar of the rotation.

They should have known all those things because intelligent people have been saying them for a year or more. If I knew these things for over a year, the FO should have as well.

What we actually learned was that Fried was able to add multiple plus pitches and turn himself into a very good SP. The trio of Fried, Soroka and Folty represents a pretty good foundation to build on by adding another DK on a short term deal, filling around the edges, and then seeing what happens with guys like Wright, Anderson and Touki.

We also learned that Riley’s hitting profile needs a lot of work, and we learned it almost immediately. The Braves need a JD or Mous for 3b, and the best OF they can acquire until Pache and/or Waters is ready.

nsacpi
10-10-2019, 10:18 AM
Although he needs some more time in AAA, Riley is ahead of Pache and Waters. He is much more likely to be a factor at some point next year, whether at third or the outfield. And one of the positive developments this year was we learned Riley can play decent defense in left.

Enscheff
10-10-2019, 10:23 AM
Agreed about Riley’s defense in the OF. It was a pleasant surprise.

Southcack77
10-10-2019, 01:12 PM
I think Riley needs to be given some time in AAA to sort a few things out. Contreras will repeat in AA and Lango will probably start off the season in high A. Alex Jackson is a scrub. I think the situation at catcher does in fact merit spending some money on a guy like Grandal. Maybe too many other teams will be in on him. But we should at least kick the tires. Cervelli is not a bad Plan B imo if instead we end up spending big on a third baseman and bow out of the Grandal sweepstakes.

I feel like buying low on Cervelli is possible and a worthy risk. I wouldn't think you would have to go even two years on a guy that it was rumored was giving up catching.

I know Grandal does everything well, but I just struggle giving premium dollars and years to a 30ish catcher. Even though that kind of moves can do wonders for increasing the depth of a lineup.

Carp
10-10-2019, 01:18 PM
I also learned it was possible to hate the Cardinals that ****er Molina way worse than I already did. Hope the Nats make look like pansies and Soto hits 10 homers and does a different sort of bat flip with every single one. Seriously, eff them and the lucky ass horse with a golden plated horseshoe up its ass that they rode in on.

Super
10-10-2019, 01:38 PM
man, i can't stand the Nats. i think i'd like to see them beat the Cards tho. i at least like some of the guys on the Nats like Soto, Rendon, Scherz, and Zimmerman doesn't bother me.

thewupk
10-10-2019, 01:43 PM
man, i can't stand the Nats. i think i'd like to see them beat the Cards tho. i at least like some of the guys on the Nats like Soto, Rendon, Scherz, and Zimmerman doesn't bother me.

I have to agree with this. Other then the fact it's a divisional rival I have no issue with the players besides Strasburg acting like a baby at times. But **** Molina. lol

Super
10-10-2019, 01:47 PM
I have to agree with this. Other then the fact it's a divisional rival I have no issue with the players besides Strasburg acting like a baby at times. But **** Molina. lol

Harper not being there makes it easier. for me at least

thewupk
10-10-2019, 01:49 PM
Harper not being there makes it easier. for me at least

very true. as the hate for the nats lessens the hate for the phillies grow

Slippyjms
10-10-2019, 01:50 PM

Yes please to Kluber. I think it makes sense to pick up the option on Teheran and make him earn a spot on the roster. I think he could easily be traded at his option price tag.

Southcack77
10-10-2019, 01:52 PM
Yes please to Kluber. I think it makes sense to pick up the option on Teheran and make him earn a spot on the roster. I think he could easily be traded at his option price tag.

I think if you are talking about a 12 million dollar player who you think has to earn a spot on the roster that you have cast some definite doubt on the trade value.

Slippyjms
10-10-2019, 02:35 PM
I think if you are talking about a 12 million dollar player who you think has to earn a spot on the roster that you have cast some definite doubt on the trade value.

I think there’s a difference between earning a spot on our roster and another team’s roster. Perhaps I worded it wrong though. Teheran would be the de facto starter but could be unseated by a prospect that shows they’re ready. I doubt we’d get much back but we could move him and all his money for a 40 FV player easily enough maybe even a 40+ FV player.

Southcack77
10-10-2019, 02:54 PM
I think there’s a difference between earning a spot on our roster and another team’s roster. Perhaps I worded it wrong though. Teheran would be the de facto starter but could be unseated by a prospect that shows they’re ready. I doubt we’d get much back but we could move him and all his money for a 40 FV player easily enough maybe even a 40+ FV player.

I'd be fascinated to see what kind of deal Teheran would end up getting if the Braves do not exercise his option.

greenleaf
10-10-2019, 03:27 PM
In the same way it took the Coppy sanctions to get rid of the John regime, I hope we can use this collapse as a pretense to get rid of Snit. Would be a pretty great silver lining, hate the thought of his decisions adding drag throughout our window

Heyward
10-10-2019, 04:29 PM
In the same way it took the Coppy sanctions to get rid of the John regime, I hope we can use this collapse as a pretense to get rid of Snit. Would be a pretty great silver lining, hate the thought of his decisions adding drag throughout our window

Snit's moves this series werent why we lost, despite what everyone wants to think. If the Braves would have hit like they did, they'd still be playing.

That being said, i dont think Snit is the manager to take this team over the top. Need to hire a young, forward thinking manager. Not sure AA will fire Snit until he calls it quits.

greenleaf
10-10-2019, 05:33 PM
Snit's moves this series werent why we lost, despite what everyone wants to think. If the Braves would have hit like they did, they'd still be playing.

That being said, i dont think Snit is the manager to take this team over the top. Need to hire a young, forward thinking manager. Not sure AA will fire Snit until he calls it quits.

Agreed on both, he certainly didn't do us any favors this series though. But my main point was this might be the best and last chance to get rid of him which would make this disaster of a week a lot more palatable

BeanieAntics
10-10-2019, 06:39 PM
This year I learned that a toaster is most certainly not a vagina and that a chocolate/saltine cracker combo is surprisingly tasty. I also learned how to properly use the words "fewer" and "less", then immediately forgot.

As far as the Braves go, I learned that the Braves are squarely in the middle of a contention window and they're going to be fine. They have some tough questions to address this offseason, but ultimately the team is just fine.

CyYoung31
10-10-2019, 07:14 PM
I learned that what doesn’t kill you, simply makes you...stranger.

Tapate50
10-10-2019, 08:01 PM
I learned the curse is real, and it’s spectacular

CyYoung31
10-10-2019, 08:03 PM
I learned the curse is real, and it’s spectacular

Dread it. Run from it. It arrives all the same.

thewupk
10-10-2019, 08:09 PM
I learned the Acuna is lazy according to Chipper, snitker, Freeman, and Tex.

CyYoung31
10-10-2019, 08:12 PM
I learned the Acuna is lazy according to Chipper, snitker, Freeman, and Tex.

He’s quickly on his way to supplanting Heyward and Andruw as the laziest players to ever play for the Braves. And I wouldn’t even consider letting him date my daughter.

thewupk
10-10-2019, 08:14 PM
He’s quickly on his way to supplanting Heyward and Andruw as the laziest players to ever play for the Braves. And I wouldn’t even consider letting him date my daughter.

Hopefully freeman and snit are both gone after 2 years. Time to rid the team of the old guard. Full of chokers

nsacpi
10-10-2019, 08:16 PM
Hopefully freeman and snit are both gone after 2 years. Time to rid the team of the old guard. Full of chokers

yeah we need new laidership

CyYoung31
10-10-2019, 08:18 PM

Lol, not sure if you’re being serious on Freeman. Yeah, in two years it might be time to cut bait with him if he wants a long term deal, but I’m not trying to get rid of the best hitter on the team right now.

CyYoung31
10-10-2019, 08:31 PM
I can’t believe people are seriously talking about getting rid of Freeman because of a bad (albeit, disastrous) postseason series. There are so many things wrong with that.

thewupk
10-10-2019, 08:55 PM
Lol, not sure if you’re being serious on Freeman. Yeah, in two years it might be time to cut bait with him if he wants a long term deal, but I’m not trying to get rid of the best hitter on the team right now.

By the time his contract is up he wont be the best hitter on the team. I dont want to trade him but I'm not for extending him either unless it's way under market.

CyYoung31
10-10-2019, 09:48 PM
By the time his contract is up he wont be the best hitter on the team. I dont want to trade him but I'm not for extending him either unless it's way under market.

I understand that, but it’s kind of comical how everyone seems to have turned on Freeman. He’s still one of the best hitters in the league. I mean, Chipper had some pretty horrific performances in the division series. And let’s not forget the disaster in the WC game.

thewupk
10-10-2019, 09:59 PM
I understand that, but it’s kind of comical how everyone seems to have turned on Freeman. He’s still one of the best hitters in the league. I mean, Chipper had some pretty horrific performances in the division series. And let’s not forget the disaster in the WC game.

he's white so he's the enemy now

nsacpi
10-10-2019, 10:02 PM
we need a new laider to make atlanta great again

CyYoung31
10-10-2019, 10:06 PM
we need a new laider to make atlanta great again

Gerald Laird for manager?

Slippyjms
10-10-2019, 10:55 PM

I don’t think it’s as much that he had a bad series as it is that he called out Acuña in the media and then didn’t back it up with his play while Acuña was beasting. My personal feeling is we’ve made a long term commitment to Ozzie and Acuña so let’s stop acting like this is Freddie’s team and let them take the lead.

Enscheff
10-10-2019, 11:04 PM
People were right to call out Acuna because that stuff can’t happen.

Dragging it out and blowing it out of proportion like this is absurd.

CrimsonCowboy
10-10-2019, 11:18 PM
I learned some of you drive me absolutely insane

bravesfanMatt
10-10-2019, 11:27 PM
I learned some of you drive me absolutely insane

This

Slippyjms
10-11-2019, 01:46 AM
People were right to call out Acuna because that stuff can’t happen.

Dragging it out and blowing it out of proportion like this is absurd.

I don’t necessarily disagree but people have framed it completely wrong as well. People are making it out like Acuña is lazy and doesn’t hustle when that couldn’t be further from the truth. He beat out grounders for infield hits several times this year. Most of our players just jog down the line. He misjudged his hit off the wall for a homer so he started his trot and that was an unfortunate mistake but he’s not lazy.

Super
10-11-2019, 06:26 AM
This year I learned that a chocolate/saltine cracker combo is surprisingly tasty.

new to the salt/chocolate combo? get some class.

cajunrevenge
10-11-2019, 06:45 AM
Let's see if MLB changes the balls back next year.

according to thewupk , there's rumors the balls used in the postseason were not the same juiced balls during regular season. And the only reason I buy it is because we must've hit like 10 warning trackers that looked like they would've been out earlier this year.

As for what I learned, it's that Snitker still has not learned how to properly platoon, construct a lineup that takes into consideration middle-late game bullpen matchups, and rest guys regularly throughout the year.

If they changed the balls for the playoffs only then those games are meaningless exhibition games. You dont play a whole regular season with 1 ball and then switch for the most important games of the year. I dont care if they used new balls this year so long as it's the same ALL year.

salmagundy
10-11-2019, 08:01 AM
Snits lack of tactical game judgement with Weiss being his main input, has again borne the burden of a poor PS.

They both need to go.

Line up construction did little on a daily effort to utilize platoons and rest effectively. Don't want to talk about Snits BP use especially early in season. Over working relievers once again bit the Braves in the arse. Burning Freeman in 2018 did little to awaken him to proper use of the BP in 2019.

Southcack77
10-11-2019, 08:13 AM
Snits lack of tactical game judgement with Weiss being his main input, has again borne the burden of a poor PS.

They both need to go.

Line up construction did little on a daily effort to utilize platoons and rest effectively. Don't want to talk about Snits BP use especially early in season. Over working relievers once again bit the Braves in the arse. Burning Freeman in 2018 did little to awaken him to proper use of the BP in 2019.

What did overworking relievers have to do with the outcome?

Not sure how you can say they didn’t platoon down the stretch - granted they started going against that with Duvall.

To me, they had a team that lost a lot of depth to injury and had some disappointing regression in cheap players that cost them.

thethe
10-11-2019, 08:53 AM
We learned that losing one of your key relievers before he throws a pitch on the mound during the divisional series is critical.

thewupk
10-11-2019, 09:05 AM
We learned that losing one of your key relievers before he throws a pitch on the mound during the divisional series is critical.

Not as critical as your 3-4-5 hitters deciding to not show up. They are the reason we aren't playing tonight. Bottom line.

thethe
10-11-2019, 09:06 AM
Not as critical as your 3-4-5 hitters deciding to not show up. They are the reason we aren't playing tonight. Bottom line.

We win game 1 with Martin. Hands down with the way he was pitching.

I agree our middle of the order was trash and we would have lost to the Nats but the Cardinals were a horrid team and we should have swept them.

thewupk
10-11-2019, 09:11 AM

I agree our middle of the order was trash and we would have lost to the Nats but the Cardinals were a horrid team and we should have swept them.

We also win game 1 if our 3-4-5 hitters decided to hit.

chop2chip
10-11-2019, 11:06 AM
What I learned is I need to diversify my hobbies. I can’t keep putting my mental health into the hands of someone name Mike Foltynewicz

Slippyjms
10-11-2019, 12:13 PM

We win game 1 if Snit doesn’t allow Melancon to give up 4 runs in the 9th after blowing the save in the 8th

CyYoung31
10-11-2019, 12:25 PM
You know what sucks the most is that this is the first time during this playoff losing streak where I actually felt like we should have won the series. We blew it as opposed to just flat out getting outplayed.

striker42
10-11-2019, 02:32 PM
You know what sucks the most is that this is the first time during this playoff losing streak where I actually felt like we should have won the series. We blew it as opposed to just flat out getting outplayed.

Yep. I felt we had a big advantage in terms of lineups and a small pitching advantage. We flat out blew it.

The Chosen One
10-11-2019, 02:58 PM

IDK, I felt in 2002 we were better than the Giants. 2010 felt despite not having Chipper, Nitram, etc. that we were better than the Giants as well because of Bobby's last ride magic.

salmagundy
10-11-2019, 04:18 PM
What did overworking relievers have to do with the outcome?

Not sure how you can say they didn’t platoon down the stretch - granted they started going against that with Duvall.

To me, they had a team that lost a lot of depth to injury and had some disappointing regression in cheap players that cost them.

You obviously did not read "early in the season".

Without going into great detail, take Luke stats. Reg season 3.81 with a slight increase during the Aug/Sept time frame. His Oct ERA jumped to 10.18.

Maybe he was tipping his pitches, maybe the Cards were a better hitting team than Luke game them credit for being. I don't know what it was that caused his pitches to be not as sharp as normal, but arm weary certainly could have played a big part of his decline.

Platooning really didn't start until the mid part of Sept so that didn't play out during the season. The # 3,4,5,6, and then 7 hitters going in the tank all at the same time in the PS leads to a big question. Don't tell me "curse" has something to do with that fact.

CyYoung31
10-11-2019, 04:28 PM
IDK, I felt in 2002 we were better than the Giants. 2010 felt despite not having Chipper, Nitram, etc. that we were better than the Giants as well because of Bobby's last ride magic.

I’m not talking about the team, I’m talking about in terms of the series itself. We blew two games. In the past, our losses were generally lopsided affairs, except for elimination games. And we were always behind in the series. This year we were up 2-1.

MURF21
10-16-2019, 04:25 PM
I think what we have yet to learn is that despite signing two future superstars to extremely team friendly contracts (Albies 7 years for 35 million and Acuna 8 years for 100 million), will this team still be too CHEAP to spend money on other good players worthy of a first place team?

Enscheff
10-17-2019, 01:26 AM
I would love to read this generational intellect’s thoughts on which current players the Braves should splurge on, and why they can afford it.