PDA

View Full Version : Geographic Tax

BedellBrave
12-15-2013, 10:54 PM
Tax'm dry (http://www.theatlanticcities.com/jobs-and-economy/2013/12/staggering-concentrated-wealth-americas-northeast-corridor/7872/?fb_action_ids=10101192327038978&fb_action_types=og.likes).

Makes the best sense to me. Tax the richest, wealthiest areas on a steeply progressive scale.

Dalyn
12-15-2013, 11:09 PM
Tax'm dry (http://www.theatlanticcities.com/jobs-and-economy/2013/12/staggering-concentrated-wealth-americas-northeast-corridor/7872/?fb_action_ids=10101192327038978&fb_action_types=og.likes).

Makes the best sense to me. Tax the richest, wealthiest areas on a steeply progressive scale.

Some places do charge/tax you for working there and some charge more if you make more. It can get ridiculous.

zitothebrave
12-15-2013, 11:31 PM
Not really a fair portrait of things. If you just say tacx everyone in NJ at 50% sure you'll get some people who make a million. Then you'll get some people just scraping by who are now boned.

The other problem with that map is that dirt doesn't make money.

While certainly not the rule, this map that shows population by county when stacked up vs wealth by county looks pretty similar

http://www.newgeography.com/files/mcch-deaths-1.jpg

http://cdn.theatlanticcities.com/img/upload/2013/12/13/income%20edit.jpg

There are blips on both sides, not populated areas with big cash and populated areas with little cash, but in general that part of the North East is the highest in Median income and highest in population. I'm also guessing it's up there in GDP per capita as well.

zitothebrave
12-15-2013, 11:38 PM
also another map to show that's largely what's happening now anyway

http://www.brookings.edu/research/interactives/2013/county-income-taxes-map

The Chosen One
12-15-2013, 11:42 PM
I say we tax sturg at a rate more than anybody else, so he knows what it's like to be poor.

:cooter:

Metaphysicist
12-16-2013, 12:54 AM

That would force out the poor people, thus making these areas even richer. This is basically just a map of "where are the cities?" and I don't think we need to make life any more cumbersome for the urban poor.

goldfly
12-16-2013, 02:02 AM
Shouldn't the south be paying their fair share?

I mean

the south and a lot of red states send 1 dollar in taxes and get 1.5 to 2 dollars back

unlike the blue northern states that send a dollar in and get cents back

BedellBrave
12-16-2013, 02:06 AM
Simple fix. Just jack up the tax rates one all the rich between DC & Boston. Don't touch the poor and middle class or the majority of the rest of the country. Let's go where we can get the most - and that's yankee Blue States and the SF Bay area - Silicon valley. And they won't mind anyway. They want higher rates.

BedellBrave
12-16-2013, 02:09 AM
Shouldn't the south be paying their fair share?

I mean

the south and a lot of red states send 1 dollar in taxes and get 1.5 to 2 dollars back

unlike the blue northern states that send a dollar in and get cents back

No, we don't want to overly tax the poor or middle class. Just the rich folks.

goldfly
12-16-2013, 02:15 AM

valid reason

except it wouldn't fit the narrative of the gov'ts in these mentioned red states

jpx7
12-16-2013, 03:12 AM
Tax the richest, wealthiest areas on a steeply progressive scale.

Already happens where I live. For instance: Chicago has some of the highest sales-tax in the country (which unfortunately hurts the less affluent more than it extracts from the wealthiest); Cook County has some of the highest alcohol taxation in the country, but more especially as regards liquor and wine (while beer is much less tithed by volume); and for restaurants in the Loop (where tourist, finance worker, and wealthier-resident dollars are concentrated), there is an additional tax not assessed outside of downtown.

Unfortunately, Rahm Emanuel is a horrible man who's continued a trend of disastrous privatization of civic services (began by Daley II with parking spaces; extended with tripling-down on charter schools, along with CTA fare-system overhauls, under Emanuel). Here's a nod to all you who say increased revenues are not enough—but note that in each case services that were decently (though not perfectly) operated by the government were spun off into corporate land to terrible results: less efficiency, more cost to the taxpayer, and lost (non-tax) revenues formerly earned by the city/county.

Dalyn
12-16-2013, 06:01 AM

Good to see you say this. The church is a big enough tax on the poor and middle class already.

BedellBrave
12-16-2013, 11:13 AM
Already happens where I live. For instance: Chicago has some of the highest sales-tax in the country (which unfortunately hurts the less affluent more than it extracts from the wealthiest); Cook County has some of the highest alcohol taxation in the country, but more especially as regards liquor and wine (while beer is much less tithed by volume); and for restaurants in the Loop (where tourist, finance worker, and wealthier-resident dollars are concentrated), there is an additional tax not assessed outside of downtown.

Unfortunately, Rahm Emanuel is a horrible man who's continued a trend of disastrous privatization of civic services (began by Daley II with parking spaces; extended with tripling-down on charter schools, along with CTA fare-system overhauls, under Emanuel). Here's a nod to all you who say increased revenues are not enough—but note that in each case services that were decently (though not perfectly) operated by the government were spun off into corporate land to terrible results: less efficiency, more cost to the taxpayer, and lost (non-tax) revenues formerly earned by the city/county.

What I've got in mind isn't a localized sales tax or state taxes. I'm talking a special, Federal, soak the yankee, Blue-State, I-95 corridor-especially, Silicon-SF Bay rich tax. It will be a great relief to their consciences and will get the US the most revenue. Don't waste time and energy on a bunch of Red State, yahoos and hayseeds.

And those special tax areas can receive (along with the rust belt) the majority of the Government services enabled by the higher taxes. Which is fitting too since they've got tons of poor folks.

BedellBrave
12-16-2013, 11:19 AM
Good to see you say this. The church is a big enough tax on the poor and middle class already.

Or Dalyn, in all honesty its also a great help to the poor and middle class. I know you aren't fond of the church and I know there are plenty of bad apples. But so many of the congregations I know of are the ones given to mercy ministries - caring for the sick, feeding the poor, raising money for special projects, doing maintenance work for the elderly, providing community for the lonely, child care, shelters for abused women, etc. Do we do things perfectly? No, but….

50PoundHead
12-16-2013, 11:35 AM
As long as Chuck Schumer has anything to say about it, the rich in the NE aren't going to be paying any more than they already do. It's a bipartisan, power-elite grab.

We talked about capital gains changes in a different thread, but Wall Street is as tight with the Dem power structure as it is with the Republican power structure (how else do you explain Hillary Clinton's irrational fear of Elizabeth Warren?).

BedellBrave
12-16-2013, 11:38 AM
Yep 50. And it's what makes so much of this 'debate' hypocritical, imho. We (political structure that exists) like to debate issues, not solve them. We like to demonize the opposition publicly - firing up the troops and then go drink cocktails with them at some swanky, posh Manhattan party or DC restaurant. And all in the pockets of Wall Street and Google and GE and… It's a sweet job if you can get it. Better than being a greeter at WalMart.

Dalyn
12-16-2013, 12:02 PM
Or Dalyn, in all honesty its also a great help to the poor and middle class. I know you aren't fond of the church and I know there are plenty of bad apples. But so many of the congregations I know of are the ones given to mercy ministries - caring for the sick, feeding the poor, raising money for special projects, doing maintenance work for the elderly, providing community for the lonely, child care, shelters for abused women, etc. Do we do things perfectly? No, but….

I was really just messing with you. Plenty of people from all walks of life do many helpful things. I like that about the world.

50PoundHead
12-16-2013, 01:33 PM
Not exactly in the main vein of the thread, but something I mentioned:

Link for The New Republic: http://www.newrepublic.com/article/115942/democratic-schism-over-bankers-vs-reformers-real?a&utm_campaign=tnr-daily-newsletter&utm_source=hs_email&utm_medium=email&utm_content=11424196