Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Truck Advice

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,053 Posts

New Truck Advice

I'm getting ready to buy a new truck in the next month or two. I've narrowed it down to the GMC Sierra 1500 or the GMC Canyon.

If I go Canyon then I'm getting the Denali. If I go with the Sierra then I'm going to have to settle for leaving off some options.

So those of you who are truck guys, would you recommend the full size with fewer luxuries or would a fully loaded Canyon be a better option?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,747 Posts
    I suggest the Canyonero. Its endorsed by a clown
    But seriously, I know nothing of trucks.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,476 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    I'm getting ready to buy a new truck in the next month or two. I've narrowed it down to the GMC Sierra 1500 or the GMC Canyon.

If I go Canyon then I'm getting the Denali. If I go with the Sierra then I'm going to have to settle for leaving off some options.

So those of you who are truck guys, would you recommend the full size with fewer luxuries or would a fully loaded Canyon be a better option?
    I cannot speak to too much on trucks. But I would recommend going with what fits you better. Do you need a full size or do you not? If you don't need a full sized then go a little smaller and more decked out. I went with a more decked out Escape than an explorer. I didn't need the extra space, all it would have done is let me leave more dumb **** in my car. THough if I could go back in time and have the current options I would spend more for the Mustang Mach E.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Did you make the purchase yet striker? If not, I would suggest full size. I recently owned a 1500 and an S-10 at the same time and the extra utility of the full size made it no contest. There also wasn't much of a difference in gas mileage, the smaller trucks are always underpowered.
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,918 Posts
    Coworker just got the diesel 1500 and loves it.

Id definitely go 1500 over the smaller version.

If you can find one, folks around here are having to order and they come in a few months later

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,476 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Coworker just got the diesel 1500 and loves it.

Id definitely go 1500 over the smaller version.

If you can find one, folks around here are having to order and they come in a few months later
    Dealerships are buckwild on inventory right now around me. Most seem to have a few dozen cars on the lot and what's left are like the stupid expensive models like the GMC Yukon Denali.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,739 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    Did you make the purchase yet striker? If not, I would suggest full size. I recently owned a 1500 and an S-10 at the same time and the extra utility of the full size made it no contest. There also wasn't much of a difference in gas mileage, the smaller trucks are always underpowered.
    Definitely full size. I drive a tundra, and I love it. My dad has a Chevy 1500 that I've driven from time-to-time, and it seems to be a great truck. He likes it. My boss drives a Ford F-250 which is freaking awesome, but he needs a little more pulling ability.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,053 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    I've not purchased yet. Probably looking at next month or early September. Refinancing the house right now so I'm waiting for that to wrap up before doing anything that would show up on a credit report.

Good point on the gas mileages. I was expecting the Canyons to get significantly better gas mileage when I first started looking but it's not the case.

Right now I'm definitely leaning towards the 1500. I don't often have need to the extra utility but I like the idea of having it when I do need it. Larger cabin as well which is nice.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,053 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    Dealerships are buckwild on inventory right now around me. Most seem to have a few dozen cars on the lot and what's left are like the stupid expensive models like the GMC Yukon Denali.
    It varies from dealership to dealership here. The one thing I have going for me is of the GMC vehicles on lots, the model with the most in stock is the Sierra 1500. I'll probably have to make a decision to either get something sooner that's not exactly the package I want or else wait a couple months for the perfect truck to be delivered.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,053 Posts
    It's been a longer journey than I expected but tomorrow I'll be signing the papers to buy a brand new GMC Sierra 1500 SLT.

I test drove both a Canyon and a Sierra and there's just no comparison. The Sierra SLT is way better equipped than the Canyon Denali not to mention roomier and more powerful.

The downside is I'm gonna have to wait at least a week for it to be delivered to the dealership.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,907 Posts
    Closest friend has a Sierra.

He’s in construction and loves it.
    Natural Immunity Croc

12. The Following User Says Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

striker42 (11-08-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,053 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Closest friend has a Sierra.

He’s in construction and loves it.
    The one I test drove was a used 2020 (they had no new ones on the lot) and I loved it. It will be the nicest thing I've ever owned.

Spring Training Invitee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    53 Posts
    The one I test drove was a used 2020 (they had no new ones on the lot) and I loved it. It will be the nicest thing I've ever owned.
    I think you made the right choice. I went from a big truck to a smaller truck and hated it. The ride on the bigger truck is just better all around. Went back to a bigger truck a few months later.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Bluedevilruss For This Useful Post:

striker42 (11-08-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,918 Posts
    Resale on a full size pickup will make up any sting of that monthly payment. They just hold value better.

Did you get the diesel?

I do see a lot of GMCs right now vs Chevrolet. Not sure why. Not many brand new fords out and the new toyota still hasn't appeared. ( i have had a few friends go to the Toyota Tundra of late and love it)

I could probably get just about what I paid three years ago for mine I'd think. Its almost paid off, but I love it too much to let it go.
    Last edited by Tapate50; 11-08-2021 at 08:43 AM.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,053 Posts
    Resale on a full size pickup will make up any sting of that monthly payment. They just hold value better.

Did you get the diesel?

I do see a lot of GMCs right now vs Chevrolet. Not sure why. Not many brand new fords out and the new toyota still hasn't appeared. ( i have had a few friends go to the Toyota Tundra of late and love it)

I could probably get just about what I paid three years ago for mine I'd think. Its almost paid off, but I love it too much to let it go.
    I didn't get the diesel. There aren't as many of them out there right now and I don't really need the extra power the diesel would provide. The improved gas mileage would have been nice but I didn't want to have muck around with DEF.

I'm glad it's not just me buying a GMC that made me see the large numbers of them driving around. There do seem to be more out there these days. They've gotten control of that niche of luxury pickups in a way other manufacturer's haven't. Might have something to do with it.

I'm probably going to hold onto this one until it dies. I could easily see it being my son's first vehicle.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,918 Posts
    I didn't get the diesel. There aren't as many of them out there right now and I don't really need the extra power the diesel would provide. The improved gas mileage would have been nice but I didn't want to have muck around with DEF.

I'm glad it's not just me buying a GMC that made me see the large numbers of them driving around. There do seem to be more out there these days. They've gotten control of that niche of luxury pickups in a way other manufacturer's haven't. Might have something to do with it.

I'm probably going to hold onto this one until it dies. I could easily see it being my son's first vehicle.
    Well, when diesel is 60+ cents more a gallon, it doesn't make as much sense as it did.

I've heard Dodge has the nicest interior of any pickup out there I just don't like the looks as much. The Ford KR or Platinum interiors are hard to beat. The AT4 package is a nice factory finish for some of those GM trucks.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,053 Posts
    Well, when diesel is 60+ cents more a gallon, it doesn't make as much sense as it did.

I've heard Dodge has the nicest interior of any pickup out there I just don't like the looks as much. The Ford KR or Platinum interiors are hard to beat. The AT4 package is a nice factory finish for some of those GM trucks.
    Ram trucks do get rated really highly but I'm with you, I just don't like the look. I also feel like there's a bit of a red neck feel with Rams.

The AT4 is really nice. I considered it but ultimately I'd be paying for things I'm not using (lift kit, off road tires, etc). I don't intend to go off roading in this truck.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,021 Posts
    Tundra man myself. I like the new Nissan Titans quite a bit, but I can't see me buying anything other than Toyota trucks. They just last forever. 240k+ on my current truck. Bought it with 100k on it.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

striker42 (11-10-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,476 Posts
    Not that this is something I'll get, but this is kind of my favorite thing ever.

https://media.ford.com/content/fordm...r-concept.html

It's the anti-Tesla truck. Timeless design and charm. With benefits of electric.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,053 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    Not that this is something I'll get, but this is kind of my favorite thing ever.

https://media.ford.com/content/fordm...r-concept.html

It's the anti-Tesla truck. Timeless design and charm. With benefits of electric.
    It wouldn't surprise me if the next truck I get after this one is electric. The strides they're making are incredible. If the next generation of batteries can charge even faster and go as far or further than a tank of gas then it will be really tempting.