Thread: any baseball card collectors on here?

Still Playing the Waiting Game bravos4evr's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    135 Posts

any baseball card collectors on here?

I lost my collection in Katrina and lately have been getting back into it. The prices have really dropped since the early 2000's eh? I just picked up a pair of Chipper rookie cards graded GM10 for $12 with shipping, and a Phil Neikro rookie for only $15. When I stopped collecting, a Bonds rookie, ungraded was $100+, now a GM10 is $20 all day. what happened?

oh, anything to trade? :-)

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    I have a chest full of baseball cards. Some nice some just random.

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    441 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravos4evr View Post
    I lost my collection in Katrina and lately have been getting back into it. The prices have really dropped since the early 2000's eh? I just picked up a pair of Chipper rookie cards graded GM10 for $12 with shipping, and a Phil Neikro rookie for only $15. When I stopped collecting, a Bonds rookie, ungraded was $100+, now a GM10 is $20 all day. what happened?

oh, anything to trade? :-)

I probably had over 100,000 cards back in the day (early-mid 90's). theyre still sitting in their binders and plastic sleeves in my closet.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Krgrecw For This Useful Post:

NinersSBChamps (05-28-2016), The Chosen One (05-29-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    135 Posts
    welp, if you ever want to let any of em go, I might be willing to take em off your hands!

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    441 Posts
    Card collecting was massive back in the early 90's. The Beckett monthly price guide was basically a Bible. Beckett even had a monthly hockey card price guide if that tells you something about how big card collecting was back then.

I remember my brothers friend paying $100 for a Darryl Strawberry 83 rookie card which was a lot back in those days. The 82 Topps cal Ripken card was hitting in the mid $200's as he was breaking the games played record.

Lots of memories.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Krgrecw For This Useful Post:

NinersSBChamps (05-29-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krgrecw View Post
    Card collecting was massive back in the early 90's. The Beckett monthly price guide was basically a Bible. Beckett even had a monthly hockey card price guide if that tells you something about how big card collecting was back then.

I remember my brothers friend paying $100 for a Darryl Strawberry 83 rookie card which was a lot back in those days. The 82 Topps cal Ripken card was hitting in the mid $200's as he was breaking the games played record.

Lots of memories.
    Oh I remember! I remember Tiger Woods rookie cards that were PSA graded GM10 going for over $1k!!! Now you can buy an ungraded Mickey Mantle from the 50's for under $200 that is in decent shape.

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    441 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravos4evr View Post
    Oh I remember! I remember Tiger Woods rookie cards that were PSA graded GM10 going for over $1k!!! Now you can buy an ungraded Mickey Mantle from the 50's for under $200 that is in decent shape.

I traded a lot for a Dale Murphy rookie card in 90-91. It was worth $45 back then. I imagine it's practically worthless now

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Think card collecting rarely exists anymore. Children aren't in tune with like I was. My buddies and I would have parties where we would trade cards with each other all night long. I have a toy chest filled with cards, three ring binders sorted by players, and plastic bins with cards. Eventually I will go through and sort it all. I do know I have over 300 Kenny Lofton cards.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    135 Posts
    I have made a choice to stick with Braves stuff and HOF'ers I particularly like. Any other stuff i get I am going to get graded and then use it to trade or sell to get the stuff I want. No way, at 43, am I going back to the hassle of trying t assemble full sets (especially with 5011 different insert and autograph cards out these days)

I am thinking about getting into autographed balls tho..... there are some trustworthy sources out there that aren't terribly pricey if you are willing to gamble on what you get.
    "I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"- Tom Waits