Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BA Model Rates Braves Farm System At #10

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,545 Posts

BA Model Rates Braves Farm System At #10

Interesting approach in which they weight prospects with different weights assigned based upon their positions, the strength of the league they played in, and how close they are to contributing at the majors.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/major...act-potential/
    Last edited by nsacpi; 10-28-2013 at 01:36 PM.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (10-28-2013), Dalyn (10-28-2013), Teheran_49 (10-28-2013), The Chosen One (10-28-2013), thethe (10-28-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,917 Posts
    I see it rated at 10. Still good.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    could a mod change the title to #10 rather than #3.
    You may want to re-link your hyperlink. Currently it links to a new thread creation URL.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,545 Posts
    advanced edit function has now been discovered!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,917 Posts
    This is a great sign moving forward and to me the best part of the farm is the talent at the lower levels. Hopefully Demaccio and his staff continue to build momentum down on the farm with the 2014 draft after whta appears to have been solid drafts in 2012/2013.
    Natural Immunity Croc

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,151 Posts
    Drafts have been much better for the Braves lately. Matt Lipka? Seriously?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,917 Posts
    I didn't say anything about the 2011 draft.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,545 Posts
    The "Lipka Draft" was 2010. It will go down as a very good draft. Simmons, Gattis, Terdoslavich, Gosselin and Cunningham have already made the majors from that draft. Several others still have a shot, including Lipka, Drury and Leonard.

No one from the 2011 draft has made it yet, but I think it will end up an average draft. La Stella, Graham, Gilmartin, Ahmed, Kubitza, Lamm, Martin and Harper all have a chance of making it from that draft.

It is worth keeping in mind that the average draft only produces 4-5 major league players and about half of those are bench/bullpen types.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,545 Posts
    The 2012 draft looks pretty good at this point. Wood has already made the majors. Sims, Elander, Simmons, de la Rosa are the best of the rest. I consider Parsons (a non-drafted free agent signed after that draft) part of the same class and imo he is our most underrated prospect.

2013 also looks strong so far. Hursh, Caratini, and Wren had the best debuts. There are a bunch of college arms who did well but at levels a bit low for their ages. We need to see them for a full season to separate the wheat from the chaff, but some of them will pan out. And I was pleased to see us take more HS players (Salazar, Murphy, Stiffler, Hagenmiller, Manwaring and Grosser in the top 11 rounds). It will take longer for those guys to develop, but one or two probably will.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 10-28-2013 at 02:03 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,917 Posts
    I just don't see how the fanbase can be dissatisfied with the drafts as of late. Its not easy to draft studs at the end of the first round.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,002 Posts
    Good methodology and about where I'd put them. We have more depth than pizzazz and it's been that way since the relatively recent graduation wave. It would be nice to have a couple more high-ceiling guys, but they don't just fall out of trees.

PS--I think Lipka still has a chance. Athlete learning how to play baseball. Still has time, but will be making a challenging jump to AA in 2014.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,917 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Good methodology and about where I'd put them. We have more depth than pizzazz and it's been that way since the relatively recent graduation wave. It would be nice to have a couple more high-ceiling guys, but they don't just fall out of trees.
    I think Sims/CB/Peraza/Cabrera are high upside guys. And we could get lucky with some of this International talent that was recently signed. Another guy that I expect a breakout from next year is Salcedo. Yeah, we have been saying this for years but he had an under the radar solid year.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,545 Posts
    Parsons is my under the radar pitching prospect. Kubitza my under the radar hitting prospect. Both have some upside.

Thomas is another pitching prospect that I think will surprise people.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,917 Posts
    At this point with the season he had at Rome at his age I don't think Parsons is under the radar.

I do agree on Kubitza. He has had some interesting statistical performances. Not really sure what scouts think about him though.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,002 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    I think Sims/CB/Peraza/Cabrera are high upside guys. And we could get lucky with some of this International talent that was recently signed. Another guy that I expect a breakout from next year is Salcedo. Yeah, we have been saying this for years but he had an under the radar solid year.
    I agree on Sims and Cabrera having high upside, but I was talking more about everyday players. Peraza could be a nice player, but I don't see him as a game-changing type of guy. Great speed, but you can't steal first.

To me, Kubitza's only plus is that he walks a lot (and I'll admit I don't worship walks like a lot of guys). He already strikes out a ton without much return on the Ks and walk rates can often sink as a guy moves up. If he can't hit with more power, I don't see him as being any better than someone like Terdoslavich.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,545 Posts
    Peraza's post All-Star game numbers: .306/.360/.753 in 257 ABs. 44 steals, 8 caught stealings.

He had a tremendous second half.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Parsons is my under the radar pitching prospect. Kubitza my under the radar hitting prospect. Both have some upside.

Thomas is another pitching prospect that I think will surprise people.
    Under the Radar Pitchers: Alec Grosser and Luis Berrios

Under the Radar Hitters: Victor Reyes and Johan Carmargo

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,002 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay212033 View Post
    Under the Radar Pitchers: Alec Grosser and Luis Berrios

Under the Radar Hitters: Victor Reyes and Johan Carmargo
    I agree that he MAY be the guy. Strong start to his career.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    232 Posts
    I agree on Sims and Cabrera having high upside, but I was talking more about everyday players. Peraza could be a nice player, but I don't see him as a game-changing type of guy. Great speed, but you can't steal first.

To me, Kubitza's only plus is that he walks a lot (and I'll admit I don't worship walks like a lot of guys). He already strikes out a ton without much return on the Ks and walk rates can often sink as a guy moves up. If he can't hit with more power, I don't see him as being any better than someone like Terdoslavich.
    I think some look at Peraza and profile him as a leadoff guy because of his speed, but to this point, his OBP doesn't scream leadoff guy.

The guy I'm interested in seeing how he does going forward is Kyle Wren. Great speed, .391 combined OPB at 3 levels this year. He could very well see some time in Mississippi in 2014.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts

Peraza does have some work to do with the bat but as nsacpi stated he had a really great second half and he's very young so there is some great signs from him that make you think he can become a good every day player. I don't know if he will ever become a Rafael Furcal player but I think there is a chance he could be a similar player as a Furcal which would be great,IMO. Still, he's a long ways away and next year will be a telling sign to how quickly he will advance through the system.

I don't know what Kubitza is like in the field and I don't think he will become an every day player but I will take him over the likes of Elliot Johnson and Paul Janish as of today.