Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Top offseason priority?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,132 Posts

Top offseason priority?

What would yours be? Manager, C, SP, and 3b are all up for grabs. Here's what Coppy had to say.

General manager John Coppolella told Jim Bowden of Sirius XM on Sunday that, along with finding a manager and upgrading his club’s rotation, improving at catcher will be a high priority during the offseason.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,545 Posts
    Interesting that he continues to leave third off his list of areas to upgrade.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (08-22-2016)

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    261 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    It is at that. Perhaps we are going to see Rio get a good shot there (along with Garcia as a part timer).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,750 Posts
    My focus would be on pitching and defense. For better or worse our offense going forward is mostly set. We have 4 average-ish outfielders on the books for atleast 2 more years and Peterson should start at AAA to start 2017 so we have some depth going into 2017 there, even if they arent all stars. Freeman is a lock at 1B, Albies at 2B, and Swanson at SS. That leaves just 3B and Catcher. Flowers hasnt been terrible but I could see signing any number of FA catchers. I think they sign Weiters on a 1 year deal to rebuild his value. Doubt he gets a qualifying offer this time around. For 3B I think they will give Ruiz every chance to start. He has put up decent stats vs RH pitchers at AAA so they could platoon him with Adonis.

I would be looking for the DBacks to make front office changes and possibly fire sale. I would look to trade for Greinke and Miller. Few teams are capable and will be willing to take on Greinke's salary and I dont think the DBacks want to eat any of his salary either. If Greinke had a Cy Young caliber year I am sure the usual suspects would be all over him but not after a relative down year. I would give them a couple mid tier prospects like Chris Ellis, Braxton Davidson, etc. I think the DBags are a dumpster fire and both pitchers would return to form with the Braves. I would also try to sign Aroldis Chapman. Wont cost a draft pick and the bullpen would be ridiculous.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Inciarte - CF
    Swanson - SS
    Freeman - 1B
    Kemp - LF
    McCann - C
    Puig - RF
    Ruiz/Garcia - 3B
    Albies - 2B

Flowers - C
    Peterson - Super Utility
    Smith - OF
    Beckham - IF
    Ruiz/Garcia - 3B/1B

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,333 Posts
    I wouldn't be against Weiters if he doesn't receive a QO. But I wouldn't go above 3/30 million for him.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,889 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Garcia has done enough in the second half imo to not make it a priority. And we do have Ruiz in the minors. So there is something. There is absolutely nothing at catcher. Personally I would try to acquire the best defensive catcher possible and offense be damned. Getting one that can play defense and hit is like a magical unicorn.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    261 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    I would be looking for the DBacks to make front office changes and possibly fire sale. I would look to trade for Greinke and Miller. Few teams are capable and will be willing to take on Greinke's salary and I dont think the DBacks want to eat any of his salary either. If Greinke had a Cy Young caliber year I am sure the usual suspects would be all over him but not after a relative down year. I would give them a couple mid tier prospects like Chris Ellis, Braxton Davidson, etc. I think the DBags are a dumpster fire and both pitchers would return to form with the Braves. I would also try to sign Aroldis Chapman. Wont cost a draft pick and the bullpen would be ridiculous.
    You seriously want to pay almost half our current payroll to Grienke and Chapman? No thanks on that. Grienke's contract is one of the worst in baseball, not touching that one with a ten foot pole. I can't see the Braves touching Chapman with his history, particularly given how we just jettisoned Olivera.

I'd definitely like to see us go after Miller though, perfect buy low opportunity.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to auyushu For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (08-21-2016)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,333 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Garcia has done enough in the second half imo to not make it a priority. And we do have Ruiz in the minors. So there is something. There is absolutely nothing at catcher. Personally I would try to acquire the best defensive catcher possible and offense be damned. Getting one that can play defense and hit is like a magical unicorn.
    I'm not entirely sure there is a much better option than Flowers given the cost. I don't want to pay the cost and give up he draft pick for Ramos.

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,041 Posts
    Personally, I think the top priority should be putting a playoff team out on the new field that will compete for a championship. Not sure the front office agrees or not. But if you want the attendance in 2018, the winning better start in 2017. As for specifics, No. 1 should be selecting the right manager. Then I'd try to nail down third base.
    Last edited by bravesnumberone; 08-21-2016 at 02:33 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    261 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    I'm not entirely sure there is a much better option than Flowers given the cost. I don't want to pay the cost and give up he draft pick for Ramos.
    Add Castro and just play him and Flowers in a platoon. Help our young pitchers out tremendously.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,889 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    At this point the only FA I would want to give up draft picks for is the sub 30 year old FA that would be a cornerstone player. Otherwise I would shop at the bargain bin until we need that one last push.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,132 Posts
    I think they will bring back Mac to be the main leader and generate even more buzz going into the new park. I see them going after a TOR starter also, like Archer or Sale. If they can get Archer, McCann, and a really good manager this offseason then we should be very competitive for a WC spot next year.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,889 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    I think they will bring back Mac to be the main leader and generate even more buzz going into the new park. I see them going after a TOR starter also, like Archer or Sale. If they can get Archer, McCann, and a really good manager this offseason then we should be very competitive for a WC spot next year.
    If they can get Mac without giving up anything significant then I would be on board with that depending on the salary situation.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    McCann makes a lot of sense - especially when you factor in attendance considerations for the new stadium. He's a name and would adequately fill a position of need. Unfortunately, I think that if the Braves do acquire him it will be a substantial overpay, either financially or in terms of prospects. The Yankees don't really have anything to gain by trading him ... he's perhaps the ideal veteran influence for Sanchez and, with Rodriguez/Texeira/Beltran out of the Yankees DH picture, McCann slots in there pretty nicely on days that Sanchez is catching.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Can see all of these: McCann, Sale and Miller, since there have already been discussions. It wouldn't come as a shock if all 3 were priorities.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,132 Posts
    I wonder if the DBacks would even consider dealing Miller back to us.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    If you are going to put on the dog and pony show for next year (and it appears they are) then I would say you have to try to find some more power in RF and at C. I would say you look for a middle of the rotation veteran starter and maybe a scrap heap type vet. The GM is way more important next year than the manager but I think they will try to get a baseball name manager.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    I don't see them dealing with Atlanta for a while. They have a dozen eggs on their face now, can't see them realistically allowing the possibility of a Baker's dozen.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Knucksie View Post
    Can see all of these: McCann, Sale and Miller, since there have already been discussions. It wouldn't come as a shock if all 3 were priorities.
    I can't see any way Sale and Miller end up being traded for by Atlanta this offseason.