Thread: Libertarians and consenting cannibalism

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,709 Posts

Libertarians and consenting cannibalism

I'm curious where the libertarians stand on this one. Just read about a cannibalistic police officer from Germany on the Drudge Report. Apparently his meal was a willing participant. Should it be legal since it's 2 consenting adults? It is a victimless crime as long as the person is ok with being murdered and eaten.
    thank you weso1!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    I think this is a little unprecedented, and saying "oh you lunatics are fine with ANYTHING as long the two people want it!" is a little too black and white. I don't consider myself a libertarian, just giving my opinion.
    I think other things need to be looked at. Is guy more likely to seek someone out to eat in the future as a result of this? Was he a cannibal before this? If the person who was eating was like, "look, would you please eat me? i'm going to kill myself" and the person obliged, i'm not sure he really did anything wrong.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,476 Posts
    No.

Because you can always end a marriage in divorce. You cannot come back to life after being killed.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    92 Posts
    Disgusting.

Called Up to the Major Leagues Gary82's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    375 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post
    I'm curious where the libertarians stand on this one. Just read about a cannibalistic police officer from Germany on the Drudge Report. Apparently his meal was a willing participant. Should it be legal since it's 2 consenting adults? It is a victimless crime as long as the person is ok with being murdered and eaten.
    I'm not familiar with the story, but how can one establish that the man wanted to die and be eaten? I guess contracts would have to be drawn up, if you wanted it to be legal.

This is sort of related to assisted suicide; something that in theory, I support.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,709 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary82 View Post
    I'm not familiar with the story, but how can one establish that the man wanted to die and be eaten? I guess contracts would have to be drawn up, if you wanted it to be legal.

This is sort of related to assisted suicide; something that in theory, I support.
    That's a good question. Apparently there was an earlier case (yes it's happened more than once) where the cannibal fetish freaks filmed themselves. Apparently it clearly showed that it was a consenting act.
    thank you weso1!

Not Actually Brian Hunter Metaphysicist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    Not a libertarian nor have I read anything about this story, but the legal counterargument would likely be that it is not possible to actually give "consent" to such a thing. Desire to be killed and eaten is probably prima facie evidence that a person is not right in the head, and thus incapable of giving true consent.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Metaphysicist For This Useful Post:

Dalyn (12-01-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,709 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Metaphysicist View Post
    Not a libertarian nor have I read anything about this story, but the legal counterargument would likely be that it is not possible to actually give "consent" to such a thing. Desire to be killed and eaten is probably prima facie evidence that a person is not right in the head, and thus incapable of giving true consent.
    So hypothetically speaking then if it could be proven in court that the person being eaten was in fact right in the head, would a libertarian consider this practice legal? Would any consenting murder be considered legal as long as the person being murdered is legally able to consent. Or this where libertarians draw the line.
    thank you weso1!

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,263 Posts
    it wouldn't bother me personally