Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Offseason MiLB Thread (Some clips from KD Chat reposted here)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,925 Posts

Offseason MiLB Thread (Some clips from KD Chat reposted here)

Figured I'd post some nuggets here...

What do we need to know about Lucas Sims? He was great in AA the second half after a disappointing year and a half at Lynchburg.

1:35 Kiley McDaniel: just talked to a guy that saw him and said the stuff is still there, so now we’re in the command/bullpen question area

Comment From Adam
    If the Braves wind up with the #1 pick, who should they take?

1:39 Kiley McDaniel: right now, I’d take Blake Rutherford, prep OF from SoCal

Hey Kiley, Can you guestimate what a scouting report mike look like on Kevin Maitan’s tools might be? He’s clearly the best player for the next signing period, right?

1:55 Kiley McDaniel: Consensus seems to be 3B fit but he’s young enough that he could grow into a RF. Not Sano-sized, but he’ll be big, maybe early Miguel Cabrera of Juan Gonzalez physically. Above average arm and raw power, switch hitter, good feel to hit, all the now tools you normally don’t see until 17-19 showed up for him at 14-16. There’s a little hesitation in his trigger that a couple scouts mentioned as the only real question they have, but that’s getting very nitpicky for a 15 year old, when it’s normally nothing but complaints/unknowns that a kid can’t do yet at that age.

Kiley McDaniel: Rutherford (OF, HS) is the guy for me. AJ Puk (LHP, Florid) and Jason Groome (LHP, HS) are probably the next couple guys at this point. Corey Ray and Buddy Reed are both college CF’s that are prob top 10 at this point. Mickey Moniak is another SoCal prep CF that’s more glove and less power than Rutherford.

Two Georgia 1st round types to mention are Mercer (in Macon, GA) RF Kyle Lewis (quick twitch 55-60 across the board, best prospect on the Cape this year) and Atlanta area prep RF Will Benson, who looks really really similar to Jason Heyward at the same stage, with the only real concern that he keeps tinkering with his swing mechanics.

Three more GA guys with 1st round chances that ATL locals could go see/follow: UGA righty Robert Tyler (up to 100 mph), preps RHP/3B Josh Lowe and 3B Carter Kieboom.

Comment From Adam
    Is Austin Riley (ATL) the real deal?

2:25 Kiley McDaniel: I’m starting to think you are. Braves rebuild is going pretty damn well.
    Ivermectin Man

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

BoneThrower (09-16-2015), cajunrevenge (09-16-2015), clvclv (09-16-2015), JohnAdcox (09-16-2015), rico43 (09-18-2015), UNCBlue012 (09-16-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,749 Posts
    I am already on the Blake Rutherford bandwagon. If we can add him and Maitan next year that would be the best 2 hitting prospects we have had since Chipper and Andruw.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    232 Posts
    I would still go pitching at the top of the draft since we appear to be getting Maitan and Gutierrez as international signings, but I wouldn't snub my nose at Rutherford. Also, the comparison of Benson to Heyward and the constant tinkering with hitting mechanics is spot on.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to KB21 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (09-17-2015)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,332 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    I am already on the Blake Rutherford bandwagon. If we can add him and Maitan next year that would be the best 2 hitting prospects we have had since Chipper and Andruw.
    Yes. Let's just completely forgot that Marte, Heyward, Betemit, Freddie, among others ever existed because of two complete unknowns might could maybe be Braves next year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,006 Posts
    I hope we can continue to develop like we are right now! It's awesome to see the minors stacked like they are right now. If we can work on our elite prospects (hopefully this year's draft can help too), then it'll be awesome.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,132 Posts
    The minors were a ton of fun to watch and keep up with this year but next year is gonna be even better with guys like a Allard and Riley getting and full year and Fried comin back. Adding a top 2 pick and possibly Maitan and Guttierez will be insane and set this team up to rely on itself the next decade.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,749 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    Yes. Let's just completely forgot that Marte, Heyward, Betemit, Freddie, among others ever existed because of two complete unknowns might could maybe be Braves next year.
    I am going off pure talent/ceiling when we added them to the organization. Maitan would probably go #1 overall if available and Rutherford is probably a top 2 pick. Thats elite talent we havent had at the plate in a long time.

It’s over."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,332 Posts
    I am going off pure talent/ceiling when we added them to the organization. Maitan would probably go #1 overall if available and Rutherford is probably a top 2 pick. Thats elite talent we havent had at the plate in a long time.
    So Heyward didn't have top draft pick pedigree coming into the draft... He certainly did a year later when he started his blitz through the minors.

I just find that to be silly thing to put on the shoulders of two 16 year olds who aren't even in the system yet.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,885 Posts
    Heyward's, Betimit's, and Marte's ceilings were pretty damn high.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,749 Posts
    So Heyward didn't have top draft pick pedigree coming into the draft... He certainly did a year later when he started his blitz through the minors.

I just find that to be silly thing to put on the shoulders of two 16 year olds who aren't even in the system yet.
    Heyward was every bit the prospect Blake Rutherford was going unto his senior year. His stock just dropped for stupid reasons like he was pitched around a lot and the braves feigned have no interest in him.

It’s over."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,332 Posts
    Heyward was every bit the prospect Blake Rutherford was going unto his senior year. His stock just dropped for stupid reasons like he was pitched around a lot and the braves feigned have no interest in him.
    This post seems to contradict your earlier point which, coincidentally, is my point.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,026 Posts
    This post seems to contradict your earlier point which, coincidentally, is my point.
    Dude is just excited with the possibility to get two overall #1 type of offensive players... and you're arguing just to argue... who cares? Good for you, pat on the back.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,332 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Dude is just excited with the possibility to get two overall #1 type of offensive players... and you're arguing just to argue... who cares? Good for you, pat on the back.
    And you care that I care (see how that works)... What point are you trying to make? How do you not see the relevance to my comment that we have had great prospects before?

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    345 Posts
    I'm more excited about Wes Helms and George Lombard to be honest.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Millwood1Hitter For This Useful Post:

The Chosen One (09-30-2015)

Brian Jordan's New BFF JohnAdcox's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Millwood1Hitter View Post
    I'm more excited about Wes Helms and George Lombard to be honest.
    Ouch.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,026 Posts
    And you care that I care (see how that works)... What point are you trying to make? How do you not see the relevance to my comment that we have had great prospects before?
    Yes... Because he clearly said we've had no other great prospects since Dru and Chipper. Some members of this board completely exaggerate comments on this board just so they have something to belittle another poster for no reason.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to zbhargrove For This Useful Post:

yeezus (09-18-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Yes... Because he clearly said we've had no other great prospects since Dru and Chipper. Some members of this board completely exaggerate comments on this board just so they have something to belittle another poster for no reason.
    I, too, am confused about what they're yelling about.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,332 Posts
    Oh okay man... Since I was belittling him, right. Feel free to ignore me then if me having disagreements on message boards bothers you so much.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,749 Posts
    Yes, Heyward is/wad an elite draft prospect of the caliber of Rutherford. However Maitan is a much higher class prospect than Freeman was when drafted. That's why I said 2 best and not one.

It’s over."

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,001 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Heyward's, Betimit's, and Marte's perceived ceilings were pretty damn high.
    Like Meatloaf sang, "Two out of three ain't bad." Betemit had his moments, but he lost a lot of his sheen as a prospect by the time he hit AAA. Marte surprised me, but they do have these guys called advance scouts who figure out guys' weaknesses. It's all about adjustments when a guy hits the big leagues and those who can't adjust can fall pretty fast.