Comp pick in the 20-30's

Braves get:

Tyrell Jenkins
    1 year of Shelby Miller turned into
    Dansby Swanson
    Ender Incierte
    Aaron Blair

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Heyward For This Useful Post:

AerchAngel (12-12-2015), FreemanFan (12-12-2015), JohnAdcox (12-12-2015)

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,771 Posts
    You can't guarantee the trade because we also gave up Speier. So you have to include Maybin which means Kimbrel and Melvin.
    Forever Fredi

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Don View Post
    You can't guarantee the trade because we also gave up Speier. So you have to include Maybin which means Kimbrel and Melvin.
    True, im not even sure he re-signs if we kept him, i thought he wanted to hit FA all along.

Was a tough move to trade him, maybe they could get better offers if they waited a few more months.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,749 Posts
    Heywood is going to be my Peyton Manning. He always dreamed of throwing a game winning pass for the Saints in the Superbowl and he technically did. Now Heywood is going to win us a championship. Wish we had traded him after his rookie season. That would have been a massive haul. Watch the Cardinals draft the next Mike Trout with their comp pick.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to cajunrevenge For This Useful Post:

sc1767 (12-12-2015)

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    Heywood is going to be my Peyton Manning. He always dreamed of throwing a game winning pass for the Saints in the Superbowl and he technically did. Now Heywood is going to win us a championship. Wish we had traded him after his rookie season. That would have been a massive haul. Watch the Cardinals draft the next Mike Trout with their comp pick.
    They'll have 3 comp picks unless they sign Gordon then they'll have two, depending if they use some of that money on a pitcher which is more needed than a hitter.

Right now their rotation has way bigger questions than the lineup imo. Why they went after Price.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,925 Posts
    Walden may be in trouble. He had serious problems last year. He could be done.

The Dbacks trade- Would anyone make that trade for Heyward straight up? I probably would.
    Ivermectin Man

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Would anyone make that trade for Heyward straight up? I probably would.
    I love Heyward. But yes, probably.

Even under a conservative estimate, I think we get around 40 WAR in the return on that trade. All 3 are almost certain to be major leaguers, and I think a conservative estimate on the 3 would be something like:
    Inciarte: 2.5-3 WAR x 5
    Blair: 1-1.5 WAR x 6
    Swanson: 3 WAR x 6

And I think a best-case on the return is more like 60+ WAR.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,889 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Walden may be in trouble. He had serious problems last year. He could be done.

The Dbacks trade- Would anyone make that trade for Heyward straight up? I probably would.
    Yes, It's what I would have hoped for when they decided to trade Heyward in the first place. Luckily the DBacks aren't smart and we ended up getting a great haul anyways.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Yes, It's what I would have hoped for when they decided to trade Heyward in the first place. Luckily the DBacks aren't smart and we ended up getting a great haul anyways.
    It's honestly unlikely anyone would have given us a similar package for Heyward at the time. With only one year left on the deal, it's just tough to get that kind of package, and there's only one Arizona out there.

I think we actually played it pretty brilliantly in hindsight...we used a team in a desperate situation (St. Louis desperately needed a RF after the Taveras tragedy) to pull a piece they didn't really need (Miller looked like their #4 starter at the time) and bought low on him in the hopes he would bounce back.

We did get a little lucky that Miller pitched as well as he did, but we also made an informed gamble, and once it paid off, we found the team that really needed a cheap SP and apparently puts basically 0 value in prospects, and boom, it came full circle.

I guarantee you that at the time of the Heyward deal, we were already planning on moving Miller if he got his value back.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    It's honestly unlikely anyone would have given us a similar package for Heyward at the time. With only one year left on the deal, it's just tough to get that kind of package, and there's only one Arizona out there.

I think we actually played it pretty brilliantly in hindsight...we used a team in a desperate situation (St. Louis desperately needed a RF after the Taveras tragedy) to pull a piece they didn't really need (Miller looked like their #4 starter at the time) and bought low on him in the hopes he would bounce back.

We did get a little lucky that Miller pitched as well as he did, but we also made an informed gamble, and once it paid off, we found the team that really needed a cheap SP and apparently puts basically 0 value in prospects, and boom, it came full circle.

I guarantee you that at the time of the Heyward deal, we were already planning on moving Miller if he got his value back.
    They essentially swapped Blair for Miller, had OF depth to deal Incierte, getting Swanson was the kicker, not sure anyone offers that kind of potential player.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    It really is insane that the D-Backs offered what they did. Coppy played the market like a freaking genius. I am willing to bet he saw what Arizona was willing to give up for Fernandez and jumped in with Miller while letting them keep Corbin, knowing how much Arizona values major leaguers.

But even then, we never should have been able to get that package. It has the potential to end up being one of the most lopsided deals in the history of baseball.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,889 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post

Mabe not the quality of players we got for Miller but I meant a long the lines of players looking to be ready in 2 years or so with their full 6 years of service time. I understand that it seems likely at that time the Braves really were looking to be contend in 2017 and a that time Miller would have been useful. I just never saw that time frame being realistic.