Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Frank Wren's Winter Meeting Exit Interview On XM

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts

Frank Wren's Winter Meeting Exit Interview On XM

Casey Stern, Jim Bowden, and Dan Duquette just talked to Wren for a few minutes in the lobby. Nothing earth-shattering to report, but have to admit it's tough to argue his logic.

1.) Haven't closed the door on a TOR SP, but cost has been prohibitive. Asking prices in trade talks have been ludicrous, and while he admitted we don't have a #1, he said they feel that Minor/Medlen/Teheran/Beachy all measure up well with most clubs' #1s since they honestly believe there are only 10-12 "true Aces". Simply can't afford to deal multiple guys that they feel can develop into at least what our top 4 are currently. They believe at least 2-3 of the guys we already have can push beyond what the top 4 have reached thus far (my assumption is that he's referring to Teheran, Beachy, Sims, and maybe Graham).

2.) In pretty deep in trade talks with several teams, but gave very little away about what those discussions entail.

3.) Said they want to add one more arm for rotation depth even if they don't play on any of the top-end guys, one more pen arm, and one or two bench bats with power. Seemed to hint that conversations with at least one of the bench bats they're targeting are pretty far along - fingers crossed that he's talking about Chavez.

4.) When pressed one last time, he did say that while they haven't yet been willing to jump in on TOR guys that the situation is fluid and that they're not afraid to go get one of those guys with only a couple years of control IF it's the "right guy". (Speculate away.)
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (12-12-2013), Hawk (12-12-2013), jpx7 (12-14-2013), Knucksie (12-12-2013)

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,283 Posts
    Price, of course, is a fine pitcher, but Tampa always extracts its pound of flesh, and it's not a price I want to pay for two years.

Chris Sale would be ideal, but I have trouble believing Chicago has any reason to trade him. And if they do, they'll (justly) want a staggering return for him. And we don't have the pieces for that.

Our best bet, then, is probably to add one more back-of-the-rotation starter to beef up depth. You don't have a proven "ace," but you do have a few solid types at the front of the rotation. And you hope that Teheran, who has the stuff to be an ace, takes the step from "really good" to dominant.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Did he even go?

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dalyn For This Useful Post:

goldfly (12-13-2013), jpx7 (12-14-2013), NinersSBChamps (12-13-2013), NYCBrave (12-12-2013), wheresmykayak (12-13-2013)

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Casey Stern, Jim Bowden, and Dan Duquette just talked to Wren for a few minutes in the lobby. Nothing earth-shattering to report, but have to admit it's tough to argue his logic.

1.) Haven't closed the door on a TOR SP, but cost has been prohibitive. Asking prices in trade talks have been ludicrous, and while he admitted we don't have a #1, he said they feel that Minor/Medlen/Teheran/Beachy all measure up well with most clubs' #1s since they honestly believe there are only 10-12 "true Aces". Simply can't afford to deal multiple guys that they feel can develop into at least what our top 4 are currently. They believe at least 2-3 of the guys we already have can push beyond what the top 4 have reached thus far (my assumption is that he's referring to Teheran, Beachy, Sims, and maybe Graham).

2.) In pretty deep in trade talks with several teams, but gave very little away about what those discussions entail.

3.) Said they want to add one more arm for rotation depth even if they don't play on any of the top-end guys, one more pen arm, and one or two bench bats with power. Seemed to hint that conversations with at least one of the bench bats they're targeting are pretty far along - fingers crossed that he's talking about Chavez.

4.) When pressed one last time, he did say that while they haven't yet been willing to jump in on TOR guys that the situation is fluid and that they're not afraid to go get one of those guys with only a couple years of control IF it's the "right guy". (Speculate away.)
    DOB seems to think that they might be in on Smardzija and that they would be the leaders if the Cubs decide to trade him. He did say they would not trade Lucas Sims.

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts
    Now THIS was a more defined topical post!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to gcbraves For This Useful Post:

The Chosen One (12-12-2013)

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    211 Posts
    Go get Samardizja

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    I agree that there are only 10-12 aces, outside of Price, none are available.

And the cost them, most likely Price is insane.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    Guy on MLBN last night (I think it was PLesac) said the Nats are a "runaway train" and will win the NL East easily. Said "everyone in the industry" will pick them to win. Said the Mets are much improved, which Ron Darling was happy to agree with, the Marlins are also improved, and the Phillies are "going nowhere". Don't think he even mentioned the Braves.

Oh yeah, he said it was a miracle that we won last year because Uggla and BJ were so bad, implication was they aren't getting better and we can't possibly win again.

Did anyone else see this? I may be off base, wasn't really paying attention, but I thought the guy was really over the top.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    211 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stpeteirish View Post
    Guy on MLBN last night (I think it was PLesac) said the Nats are a "runaway train" and will win the NL East easily. Said "everyone in the industry" will pick them to win. Said the Mets are much improved, which Ron Darling was happy to agree with, the Marlins are also improved, and the Phillies are "going nowhere". Don't think he even mentioned the Braves.

Oh yeah, he said it was a miracle that we won last year because Uggla and BJ were so bad, implication was they aren't getting better and we can't possibly win again.

Did anyone else see this? I may be off base, wasn't really paying attention, but I thought the guy was really over the top.
    Can't really disagree that as things currently stand we'll be fighting for a WC spot and not the division. Grabbing Samardizja would change my opinion

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stpeteirish View Post

As things stand now, i agree.

Add EOF, Samardizja, and a couple bench pieces, and let's strap em out and go.

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,283 Posts
    I'm supposed to run in terror at the sight of a Washington team that finished 10 games behind us and added McLouth, Fister and Blevins? I mean, don't get me wrong, Fister's a solid pitcher, but nothing that's happened this off-season just screams, "Unstoppable juggernaut!"

Hell, you'd figure that last year's experience would provide at least some minor incentive to re-think those sort of proclamations.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MadduxFanII For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (12-13-2013), CyYoung31 (12-13-2013), jpx7 (12-14-2013), Julio3000 (12-13-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    528 Posts
    Just like last year, Washington looks great on paper. But this is why they play the games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,747 Posts
    I am scared we are going to trade for Samardjia. He is not an ace. He might be the 5th best starter if we trade for him and that I giving the nod over Beachy just based on health. If we get him for spare parts I would be okay with the deal.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,709 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MadduxFanII View Post
    Price, of course, is a fine pitcher, but Tampa always extracts its pound of flesh, and it's not a price I want to pay for two years.

Chris Sale would be ideal, but I have trouble believing Chicago has any reason to trade him. And if they do, they'll (justly) want a staggering return for him. And we don't have the pieces for that.

Our best bet, then, is probably to add one more back-of-the-rotation starter to beef up depth. You don't have a proven "ace," but you do have a few solid types at the front of the rotation. And you hope that Teheran, who has the stuff to be an ace, takes the step from "really good" to dominant.
    Sale for Heyward makes some sense for us given the latest DOB report about an extension for our young studs looking doubtful. Could then take a chance on Matt Kemp.
    thank you weso1!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,709 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    I am scared we are going to trade for Samardjia. He is not an ace. He might be the 5th best starter if we trade for him and that I giving the nod over Beachy just based on health. If we get him for spare parts I would be okay with the deal.
    The thing about Samardzija is that he could come to Atlanta and dominate. His stuff is outstanding. Pretty similar to AJ Burnett.
    thank you weso1!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    211 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    Samardizja will be a steep price not for spare parts. He's also worth giving up a lot for IMO. I love the guy.

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,283 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post
    Sale for Heyward makes some sense for us given the latest DOB report about an extension for our young studs looking doubtful. Could then take a chance on Matt Kemp.
    I'd be lying if I said I didn't have a similar thought. We're getting to the point where we have to start thinking realistically about Heyward's future, and he's enticing enough to retain a ton of trade value. There are a thousand reasons Heyward+other pieces for Sale won't happen, but I'm more positively inclined toward the idea than I ever expected I would be.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by emk418 View Post
    Samardizja will be a steep price not for spare parts. He's also worth giving up a lot for IMO. I love the guy.
    Agree, he's got top of the rotation stuff, unlike Medlen and Beachy, and he's durable, so far anyhow. If he's a 5th starter for us that would surprise the hell out of me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    Furthermore, we've got some positive history with dealing with the Cubs. Trading with Tampa Bay is self abuse. If you are tempted to do it seek professional help.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post
    Agreed, if he wont sign an extension at whatever they are offering, then why not try to get some value back instead of a draft pick in 2 years that may amount to nothing.

Not sure Heyward/Sims would get Sale but it might get talks going a little bit.