Thread: Copo calls out Kemp on weight

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts

Copo calls out Kemp on weight

Interview with MLB Radio, John Coppolella laid out for Matt Kemp:

“We see Matt Kemp as a player with a big upside,” Coppolella said. “He’s 31-years old. He is not in shape and that’s something we need to work on with him. He’s been told about it. We are going to talk to him more. It’s the kind of thing where, for him, you can’t really do that during the season. It’s not like you can drop 30 pounds during the season and keep playing.”

Coppolella said he believes Kemp “cares greatly” and “knows he has to lose some weight.”

Kemp won Gold Glove awards in 2009 and 2011 while playing mostly center field for the Dodgers. He’s played mostly in right field since then but the Braves have him in left with Nick Markakis as the regular right fielder.

Coppolella said Kemp “isn’t real good in left because he’s out of shape” and predicted he would be a better defender if he gets fit. Coppolella also left open the possibility of Kemp and Markakis switching positions for next season.

“Those are the kind of moves you make during the off season,” Coppolella said during the MLB Radio Network interview. “You don’t do it during the year, you don’t shake things up. Veteran players have plenty of things they’ve got to worry about during the year. I think you kind of reassess things during the off season if you want to make that type of a move.”

Coppolella said Kemp’s offense also could improve if he gets in better shape.

“With him not being in the best shape he’s still got 30 doubles, 25 homers, 80 RBIs and he’s hitting .260 which is a huge upgrade over what we were running out there,” Coppolella said.

Pretty radical that a GM lights up his own player like this in the media. Hope Kemp takes it in the spirit of wanting to get better. If he tends to pout, it will not be pretty.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Did you catch MLBTR posting on this? MLBTR: "In addition to declaring that the rebuilding, last-place Braves need to start winning in 2017, general manager John Coppolella touched on the statuses of three of his team’s players in a Sunday interview with MLB Network Radio (Twitter links). Specifically, Coppolella mentioned outfielder Matt Kemp and a pair of right-handers, Matt Wisler and Aaron Blair.

Coppolella believes Kemp, a much-maligned defender, will be able to contribute more in the field if he gets in better shape.

“A big part of why he isn’t real good in left field is because he’s out of shape,” Coppolella said. “If he gets in shape, he’ll be much better.”

Unless Kemp has been out of shape since his major league career began with the Dodgers in 2006, there doesn’t seem to be much reason to expect a significant defensive turnaround. Metrics like Defensive Runs Saved, Ultimate Zone Rating and UZR/150 have regularly given Kemp negative grades in the field. So far, the 31-year-old has compiled minus-98 DRS, minus-116.6 UZR and minus-12.6 UZR/150 in the big leagues.

Given his power-hitting ways, Kemp has fewer limitations at the plate, but he’s still batting just .261/.292/.480 in 510 plate appearances this season. Of greater concern, perhaps, is that Kemp has the ninth-worst BB/K ratio (.21) in baseball among 158 qualified hitters. In combining the flaws in his game with his salary, it’s not surprising that Kemp passed through revocable trade waivers unclaimed. The Braves, who acquired Kemp from the Padres prior to the Aug. 1 non-waiver trade deadline, owe the ex-MVP candidate $18MM per year through 2019. Kemp entered Sunday with a .242/.320/.379 line and one homer through his first 66 at-bats as a Brave. Now, having only traded the toxic Hector Olivera for Kemp, Coppolella will hope his high-profile pickup improves his conditioning and becomes a legitimate producer in Atlanta."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,579 Posts
    This ****ing guy...

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (08-21-2016), Hawk (08-21-2016), jpx7 (08-21-2016), Julio3000 (08-21-2016), Ozzie Swanson (08-22-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,771 Posts
    Hate it. Coppy calling out kemp isn't to get kemp in shape. Coppy calling out kemp is to justify the acquisition imo. Coppy needs to tell kemp to get in better shape face-to-face and leave it out of the media

6. The Following User Says Thank You to msstate7 For This Useful Post:

DirkPiggler (08-22-2016)

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    877 Posts
    I mean, has he not heard of Kemp for the last 10 years or so?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,709 Posts
    I think this could be a good play by Coppy. You make it public and it puts a bit of pressure on the player to actually do it. I guess we'll find out this spring if Kemp shows up in good shape.
    thank you weso1!

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    I ave no issue with this. It's the way guys communicate. We don't sit down and have heart to heart talks. We rag each other incessantly until you do something about it.

I wasn't the biggest fan of this acquisition, but now we need to get what we can out of it.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,889 Posts
    Didn't it come out right after the trade that this was something he was going to work with?

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Coming at a guy in public like this is not The Braves Way.

The Braves Way is doing it anonymously, particularly after he's been traded.

12. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

CK86 (08-22-2016), CyYoung31 (08-22-2016), DaneHill (08-22-2016), gilesfan (08-22-2016), goldfly (08-22-2016), GovClintonTyree (08-22-2016), NYCBrave (08-22-2016), Tapate50 (08-22-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,132 Posts
    I like Coppy but he talks way to much sometimes.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,889 Posts
    Seems like an non issue to me according to this

http://www.todaysknuckleball.com/nl/...oss-necessary/

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    I love Coppy.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,400 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post

This. I was too lazy to find this article.. but I was like this was said by both parties ten days ago. Why are we making a big deal about something both sides agreed needed to happen. But fans like to find things to complain about.. it is in our blood I guess.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

AerchAngel (08-22-2016)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    This isn't a big issue. We've just become accustomed to the wussification of America and the need for everything to be PC. Bowden played it back this morning on Sirius and Coppy was just answering his questions honestly.

There's definitely some spin to it for the fans by saying he's going to be better in 2017, but that's going to be with any GM whose job is to sell the team.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post

We probably need to do a little more digging - when reading that again, something really jumped out at me..."once they negotiated their responsibility down to $31.5 million over the remaining three years on his deal."

Not sure where the math should be - that looks to be $4.5 million light to me. I was under the assumption that the Padres were taking everything owed to Olivera and we were taking everything owed to Kemp (and getting the $3 million per that the Dodgers were paying). Looks like we got even more money somehow.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    We probably need to do a little more digging - when reading that again, something really jumped out at me..."once they negotiated their responsibility down to $31.5 million over the remaining three years on his deal."

Not sure where the math should be - that looks to be $4.5 million light to me. I was under the assumption that the Padres were taking everything owed to Olivera and we were taking everything owed to Kemp (and getting the $3 million per that the Dodgers were paying). Looks like we got even more money somehow.
    I think it's still the 3/25 we've all come up with and the additional $6M is what we're paying him in 2016.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Hate it. Coppy calling out kemp isn't to get kemp in shape. Coppy calling out kemp is to justify the acquisition imo. Coppy needs to tell kemp to get in better shape face-to-face and leave it out of the media
    This is who Coppy is, he's extremely honest in the media.

And we obviously knew at the time of the trade he was out of shape, as Coppy admitted.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    345 Posts
    And Coppy has the potential to be a great general manager, he just needs to do a better job and get in the office sooner and acquire better players.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,151 Posts
    So in addition to BSOML stories in spring training, now we are also getting "Going To Be In The Best Shape Of My Life" (GTBITBSOML) stories before the offseason even starts!

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

chop2chip (08-22-2016)

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,265 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    Coming at a guy in public like this is not The Braves Way.

The Braves Way is doing it anonymously, particularly after he's been traded.
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"