Thread: NOOK- for the resident pitching experts-

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    653 Posts

NOOK- for the resident pitching experts-

What did you guys think of his stuff last night? Command, movement, etc?
    Thanks!

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,035 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulavol View Post
    What did you guys think of his stuff last night? Command, movement, etc?
    Thanks!
    I thought he was finishing his fastball, what I would just teach as finishing on the catcher's left shin guard. He's got a different nomenclature for it, calls it "spinning off" his arm side and that he was working on it between starts...I think we're saying the same thing. But as several have pointed out here, when he gets in trouble with his command he leaves the ball up and away.

To me, this is good news. He's not spraying the ball, he's got a clearly identifiable mechanical issue that he'll probably have to monitor the rest of his career, but if he's able to conquer it (Unit did), the curveball is camera ready and the change, though the least developed, has looked good the last few starts, too. He has velocity and I think he's intelligent, which I like in a pitcher.

Going from seven walks to one is certainly good news. You give up seven walks, you're not giving yourself a chance. Trust your stuff, keep grinding, and you could see a legit 1-2-3 starter in a year or two. I'm cautiously optimistic, and this is a good time and place to work on it.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GovClintonTyree For This Useful Post:

57Brave (08-11-2017), JohnAdcox (08-11-2017)