Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why not Nick Franklin?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,149 Posts

Why not Nick Franklin?

I'm surprised we haven't heard rumblings of Wren going after Franklin now that Seattle has Cano at 2B for the next decade. He is 2-3 years younger than TLS, light years better defensively than any other non-Simmons player on the roster, and should be able to put up a solid OBP at the MLB level. His arm prevents him from playing on the left side of the diamond, but the Braves don't exactly have a need for a SS anytime soon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,544 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    I'm surprised we haven't heard rumblings of Wren going after Franklin now that Seattle has Cano at 2B for the next decade. He is 2-3 years younger than TLS, light years better defensively than any other non-Simmons player on the roster, and should be able to put up a solid OBP at the MLB level. His arm prevents him from playing on the left side of the diamond, but the Braves don't exactly have a need for a SS anytime soon.
    If none of our internal candidates pan out, I think Franklin would be on the short list of possible second base trade targets. Altuve is another one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    That's an interesting idea.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Brad Miller is worth looking at, too.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Can't personally see the logic in trading for another 2B at this point. Uggla or La Stella will be fine for the short term (1-2 years).

With Andrelton now locked up and Peraza coming, we're going to have some kind of dynamic middle infield by the end of 2015. Franklin and Miller are solid but would only be marginal upgrades, not to mention they'd wind up in Peraza's way. No need to trade for guys like that with clocks that have already started - would just tie up more payroll space if you were unable to move them when Jose's ready, and I'd assume they'd like to have as little money as possible tied up there when Uggla's contract is off the books so his money can go towards pitching (and the new extensions) as the new park opens.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Miller would be fantastic for the bench, which certainly needs an upgrade.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,149 Posts
    Unlike Franklin, Miller can play SS and 3B, so I doubt the Mariners trade him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Unlike Franklin, Miller can play SS and 3B, so I doubt the Mariners trade him.
    It looks like they are both in the running for SS. If Franklin wins the job, I am sure Miller would be available.

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,038 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalyn View Post
    It looks like they are both in the running for SS. If Franklin wins the job, I am sure Miller would be available.
    I am out here in Seattle...don't see Franklin winning that job because of arm strength and Miller's significant upside with the bat. However, Franklin is a real nice player. It's a great idea, I think.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,038 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    If none of our internal candidates pan out, I think Franklin would be on the short list of possible second base trade targets. Altuve is another one.
    Why would Houston part with Altuve? I do like the Franklin idea, a lot. He's blocked up here and he's a nice player.

With all this cash we've spent on our core, it becomes incumbent on us to find less expensive, solid role players to splice in around the pricey guys. I think Franklin might be such a guy. Think Mark Ellis.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,480 Posts
    Nothing about Franklin overly excites me. He doesn't look horrible but I wouldn't want to part with whatever it would take to get him. Only way I'd go for him is if it was a CB for him swap I'd do it, or something along those lines, but I have a hunch Seattle wants major league return and I'm not willing to offer it. Unless they did something like Uggla and Medlen for him (i know they have no use for Uggla) taking on over half of Uggla's contract I'm not interested.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Awaiting a Promotion
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts
    You would honestly trade Medlen for him? WOW. ok.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,315 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skidlee View Post
    You would honestly trade Medlen for him? WOW. ok.
    Well thats becuase he included Uggla. Uggla hurts the deal, so we would have to offer more. NOt saying I would do it or like it, but I see why he said Medlen.

Awaiting a Promotion
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TURBO View Post
    Well thats becuase he included Uggla. Uggla hurts the deal, so we would have to offer more. NOt saying I would do it or like it, but I see why he said Medlen.
    Doesn't matter that Uggla was in the deal. We all know they would not want Uggla. Losing 13 million and Medlen isn't worth getting a bench player back. I don't care how much money it saves.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,038 Posts
    I think Seattle might listen for somebody like David Hale, and I think I'd pull the trigger on that if I'm either team.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,480 Posts
    Doesn't matter that Uggla was in the deal. We all know they would not want Uggla. Losing 13 million and Medlen isn't worth getting a bench player back. I don't care how much money it saves.
    It's saving actually 17ish million. We could poach Ervin Santana or someone like that who's still out there.

I was just throwing out a scenario I'd give the Mariners a major league player they'd want. f

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,038 Posts
    Yeah, these kinds of pronouncements are ridiculous. Even if Uggla didn't cost $13m and just hit .179, why the hell would Seattle deal for him after signing Robinson Cano? And Medlen's not going anywhere, except maybe up to the podium to discuss his new 5-yr deal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,480 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    I think Seattle might listen for somebody like David Hale, and I think I'd pull the trigger on that if I'm either team.
    Why would they trade someone who was about a top 50 prospect (around there) for Hale? That doesn't make even a little sense for Seattle. If we called asking for Franklin they'd want Wood. That simple and we'd be dumb to do it.

Awaiting a Promotion
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    It's saving actually 17ish million. We could poach Ervin Santana or someone like that who's still out there.

I was just throwing out a scenario I'd give the Mariners a major league player they'd want. f
    I know it would save 17ish. I didn't care about the medlen cash because I would rather have Medlen.

But once again you would want Santana over Medlen? Pass. Uggla will be gone within the next 2 years. The braves are giving him 1 more chance. If he sucks now the odds of him just getting cut are real.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,038 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    Why would they trade someone who was about a top 50 prospect (around there) for Hale? That doesn't make even a little sense for Seattle. If we called asking for Franklin they'd want Wood. That simple and we'd be dumb to do it.
    If they were that high on Franklin, would they have signed Cano? Franklin is a complementary piece. I think Hale could be a 3-4-5 starter, especially with a friendly ballpark. And that would have a lot of value in Seattle right now, as they're holding open tryouts behind Hernandez, Iwamura and Taijuan Walker.