Thanked in
    882 Posts

2. The Following User Says Thank You to AerchAngel For This Useful Post:

thethe (10-26-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,908 Posts
    Thats what I've been saying recently. Blacks are no different than whites. We all have the same brains and same ability. Its the choices that are made which is what is putting young blacks behind the 8 ball. Until there is personal accountability then its never going to change.
    Natural Immunity Croc

4. The Following User Says Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

AerchAngel (10-26-2014)

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Thats what I've been saying recently. Blacks are no different than whites. We all have the same brains and same ability. Its the choices that are made which is what is putting young blacks behind the 8 ball. Until there is personal accountability then its never going to change.
    And we wonder why some of us say the white man keeps us down.

From Michael Brown to Barack Obama, you depend on the white man to let you slide by. But people like me with a lot of education, don't have any tattoos, dress like Carlton Banks, don't have gold teeth, no crim record, but yet, my brothers call me a sell out and I am not black enough. If I have tattoos, gold teeth, a rap sheet or better yet have a name like Jarcuvius Montario Van Kuyten and a IVY league diploma, would be tossed in the basket. My own sister said when she sees resumes with names like this, she just toss it, no interview because history told her when interviewing, they are ghetto as hell.

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    441 Posts
    Why all the crickets?

We had an interviewee at work
    Named : K're

Pronounced Kerry

My dad was an ER doctor and he'd tell us stories about parents who wouldn't know how to spell thier kids names or their kids birth date. And this being in the ER means these weren't infants or newborns but kids. No excuse

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,265 Posts
    you know this thread would have been better if you actually put Sir Charles quotes, right?
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

8. The Following User Says Thank You to goldfly For This Useful Post:

AerchAngel (10-27-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    you know this thread would have been better if you actually put Sir Charles quotes, right?
    That is why I have a link to it. Plus don't want Sav to get in trouble for yanking stuff from other sites.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    But surely you see how the past has affected these things? And surely you see that it is easier in this country to be a white male, due to old racism that is still alive in a lot of places?

You will not hear/see me say that personal accountability doesn't play a part. Of course it does. I have friends that were put in better situations than me that haven't been as successful as me (not to play with my own balls), and that's because for whatever reason I'm more motivated and made better choices. It absolutely plays a part and I think black people need to look at it and realize they do have hope and they do have a chance. But that doesn't mean it isn't easier for a white person, not growing up in the hood, to feel like that. There's just a lot more to overcome, and there's a lot more available for white people.

Simply saying it's their own fault because they suck at making choices and white people are better at making choices is way too simplified.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,908 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
    But surely you see how the past has affected these things? And surely you see that it is easier in this country to be a white male, due to old racism that is still alive in a lot of places?

You will not hear/see me say that personal accountability doesn't play a part. Of course it does. I have friends that were put in better situations than me that haven't been as successful as me (not to play with my own balls), and that's because for whatever reason I'm more motivated and made better choices. It absolutely plays a part and I think black people need to look at it and realize they do have hope and they do have a chance. But that doesn't mean it isn't easier for a white person, not growing up in the hood, to feel like that. There's just a lot more to overcome, and there's a lot more available for white people.

Simply saying it's their own fault because they suck at making choices and white people are better at making choices is way too simplified.
    There are also opportunities that are made to blacks that aren't made to whites such as additional minority scholarships. That doesn't impact upper middle class whites since they can just pay for school but you bet your ass that I would have liked to have gotten that scholarship when I was initially going to school.

I've never said it was easy for blacks. That would be naive. I just laugh at the idea that there is too much against them to ever be successful.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    There are also opportunities that are made to blacks that aren't made to whites such as additional minority scholarships. That doesn't impact upper middle class whites since they can just pay for school but you bet your ass that I would have liked to have gotten that scholarship when I was initially going to school.

I've never said it was easy for blacks. That would be naive. I just laugh at the idea that there is too much against them to ever be successful.

Your post is interesting. Obviously you don't like AA, not my name but the meaning. I don't either but I never saw it as well. Out of my class of 278, I was 13th, the highest black but every black I knew say I was the smartest and they do to this day. They also said I would go the furthest, but that is not correct, job wise yes, I have the good ones, but one is a welder, dumber than schit but can do his job better than anyone is rich. I was an FAA Air Traffic Controller with card, license and everything and if you didn't know, I panicked and broke down and left that career. My love was computers, always since the mid 70's and went back to school for it, no stress and graduated from a top 100 university in this country plus going to top 20 schools in the process.

It is about my race doing what they have and doing the most for it, my friend, no college education, fix muscle cars, welded things, secured a job with a train company making over six figures, I couldn't even do that until later and even now if it wasn't for my wife I would make even more, but I know family is more important.

As blacks we need to get away from that culture and use our skills to secure good jobs and teach our youngsters the same thing. Sav can say the same thing as my best friend, an Air Traffic Controller (moved to Canada, still trying to find out where he is), was Filipino and taught me some Tagalog and invited me to his house on many occasions to experience their really nice culture. He was a great cook. Probably the best of my friends and my ex wife loved it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,908 Posts
    I wish I went to school to develop a trade. College education is overrated. You can make a lot of money in the financial world but I felt like I sold my soul.
    Natural Immunity Croc

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,265 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AerchAngel View Post
    That is why I have a link to it. Plus don't want Sav to get in trouble for yanking stuff from other sites.
    oh, i didn't see the link. guess i never put my cursor over the middle part

my bad

carry on
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    I wish I went to school to develop a trade. College education is overrated.
    In terms of cost/benefit there is definitely an argument to be made here. But we should be striving as a country to get as many people into higher education (with a well-rounded liberal arts approach) as humanly possible.

See: Germany

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    In terms of cost/benefit there is definitely an argument to be made here. But we should be striving as a country to get as many people into higher education (with a well-rounded liberal arts approach) as humanly possible.

See: Germany
    In Germany both public and private schools give you an option at your Sophomore year to attend a trade school. My daughter went to a private school and selected Dentistry. They matched up her grades and got her a school that would sponsor when she is out. She is still there and pass the physical (Internship here) but need to do the written part and for most Germans, the most difficult, but they do have help as in teachers giving points on how good you are and what not. My ex had the same issue here when she went to the Nevada board for her RN license and her English was not the best but medically good, she passed with no issues but she could tell that our daughter had test anxiety issues, like she did and I did. So we paid for a coach to help her get passed it. I will worry until late January for her to pass. As a parent I will do anything for my children, no matter the cost.

Called Up to the Major Leagues Gary82's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    375 Posts
    I wish I went to school to develop a trade. College education is overrated. You can make a lot of money in the financial world but I felt like I sold my soul.
    If there's any consolation, I always figured you to be soulless.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,908 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary82 View Post
    If there's any consolation, I always figured you to be soulless.
    I'd like to consider myself a good person but I'm open for debate on that issue! As always in life, you are what you do and not what you say.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Called Up to the Major Leagues Gary82's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    375 Posts
    I'd like to consider myself a good person but I'm open for debate on that issue! As always in life, you are what you do and not what you say.
    I'm messing with you.

And you are what you say, along with what you do.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,908 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary82 View Post
    I'm messing with you.

And you are what you say, along with what you do.
    I know you are....I've always felt actions speak much louder than words.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,480 Posts
    actions speak much louder than words.
    And I'm a man of great experience.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg