Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Choosing Between McCann and Justin Upton (and maybe others)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,543 Posts

Choosing Between McCann and Justin Upton (and maybe others)

There is a chance the Braves will have enough budget to extend all of McCann, Justin Upton, Heyward and Freddie Freeman.

But I think it is a close call. So I want us to assume in this thread that signing McCann to a new contract means we eventually have to let one of the above walk. I think Justin Upton is the most likely one that would leave in this scenario.

So which would you rather have:

1) McCann is brought back (let's say a four year deal with an option for $16M per year). Gattis is a supersub in 2014-2015 and the left fielder thereafter.

or

2) Gattis becomes our catcher. Upton is extended and continues to be our left fielder.

There are a lot of things to consider. Under scenario 2, we have a bit more financial flexibility in 2014-2015 to upgrade elsewhere. But we should also consider that there is no guarantee that all three of Upton, Heyward and Freeman can be extended on terms that are reasonable to the club. That surely has to be taken into account if McCann is amenable to a deal the club considers reasonable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Have to let McCann go unless the NL is going to adopt the DH in a year or so, which isn't going to happen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    528 Posts
    At what point do we look at Justin and wonder when we're going to get the production he was advertised to bring? I know he's only 26, but just like big brother BJ, we're still waiting on his potential.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    At what point do we look at Justin and wonder when we're going to get the production he was advertised to bring? I know he's only 26, but just like big brother BJ, we're still waiting on his potential.
    He is having a fine season. One of our better offensive players. He has had about two seasons better than this one. Not sure where this is coming from.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,480 Posts
    My extension pecking order is

1. Jason
    2. Freddie
    3. Justin
    4. Mac
    5. Simmons

Simmons is last because he's cheap for much longer.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

6. The Following User Says Thank You to zitothebrave For This Useful Post:

bravebonebook (09-16-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    528 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalyn View Post
    He is having a fine season. One of our better offensive players. He has had about two seasons better than this one. Not sure where this is coming from.
    I don't know how you could think he's not a disappointment. His age 24 season in 2011 was top 5 MVP voting, 30+ homers, .290 avg, .900 OPS. That's the player I thought we were getting. You are actually happy having a guy who has declined since?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    528 Posts
    to further my point, Justin's defense has declined heavily since 2011 if you go by UZR. His defense used to be a positive and now he's well in the negative.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    Justin is nothing like his brother. Justin has routinely put up OPS' of 800+ and this is the first season he has been streaky at the plate. If you look at his numbers from years previous he's been pretty consistent every month. If this is J-UP's down year then I'll take it and he's shown that he knows how to hit and can make adjustments. Something his brother hasn't shown one bit. I would take Justin over Mac because of mac's age at his position and FF shouldn't go anywhere. If there is one guy this offense needs it's a consistent player like FF.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    I keep remembering Tom Harte,s interview with the original Bossman during opening week when he expounded on how competitive his sons were growing up. I wonder if maybe the older one perhaps hasnt completely grown up and cant stand for his baby brother to out shine him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PawPawMaxwell View Post
    I keep remembering Tom Harte,s interview with the original Bossman during opening week when he expounded on how competitive his sons were growing up. I wonder if maybe the older one perhaps hasnt completely grown up and cant stand for his baby brother to out shine him.
    Being competitive doesn't usually work that way. Can't help but feel like people wouldn't question BJ in such a manner (or display such a lack of patience) if not for a few defining features. Not necessarily you, PPMax, but just in general.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PawPawMaxwell View Post
    I think that's just way too simplistic of a view and very unlikely.

High School Draftee ProbationDeac's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Have to let McCann go unless the NL is going to adopt the DH in a year or so, which isn't going to happen.
    It's not a matter of letting him go, we won't be able to afford him. I know there's some hope by some on here that he'll give us a big hometown discount but I don't see it. I think the writing has been on the wall most of the year about this one. Hope I am wrong.

I think scenario two is the most likely though I wonder how well Gattis will do for a full season.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,767 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ProbationDeac View Post
    It's not a matter of letting him go, we won't be able to afford him. I know there's some hope by some on here that he'll give us a big hometown discount but I don't see it. I think the writing has been on the wall most of the year about this one. Hope I am wrong.

I think scenario two is the most likely though I wonder how well Gattis will do for a full season.
    We can afford him if we get rid of Uggla and probably not re-sign Huddy.

Maholm is definitely gone too.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,573 Posts
    I don't even know how to properly respond to this. It's that silly.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (09-17-2013), Dalyn (09-14-2013), JohnAdcox (09-16-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,747 Posts
    How about this trade Both Uptons and Uggla to Rangers for Rios/Kinsler/Nathan. Rios and Kinsler are more productive than BJ and Uggla but are still overpaid by a lot. The Rangers desperately need outfield help, maybe they gamble that a return to the AL helps BJ. He's worth a little just to give Justin incentive to re-sign. All 3 could be helped by a better hitters park. In the first year the salaries are virtually a wash with the Rangers adding taking on 3 million more. The second year is where the Braves get a lot of salary relief. Beyond that its Kinsler's bad contract for BJ's bad contract. For taking on salary the Rangers give up little or nothing in the way of prospects. Braves re-sign McCann, Gattis starts in LF full time, Rios holds down center for 1 year, Nathan sets up for Kimbrel, and Kinsler starts at second. I know 9 million is a lot for a setup man but its a compromise to even up the salaries while giving the Braves a useful piece. Braves could probably trade him pretty easily.
    Last edited by cajunrevenge; 09-14-2013 at 08:37 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,025 Posts
    Read what I said again. 'In such a manner.' - I think certain criticisms have a weird way of only being directed toward non-white players. We saw it with Andruw Jones. Kenny Lofton. Jason Heyward etc etc "Doesn't hustle." (Even Justin got this one a few times this year) "Doesn't care." "Isn't trying." And such. What did we hear about Uggla? "At least he hustles." "You can tell he is trying, even if he is horrible." Schafer? "At least you can tell he wants to be out there." "Would rather have someone playing who wants to play."

Why is that?

Do I think race is an issue for most of us? No. Do I think it is for some? Absolutely.
    ^Nailed it and Teheran_49 looks silly once again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    Who are you exactly? LOL

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,025 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Teheran_49 View Post
    Who are you exactly? LOL
    Someone who's been around MUCH longer than you

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Someone who's been around MUCH longer than you
    Around where? LOL

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,025 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Teheran_49 View Post
    Around where? LOL
    This community... if you don't know what Fanhome.com was, best to just keep your mouth shut. This board may be new, but I guarantee the community has been around much longer than you realize.