Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,866 Posts

Google Memo

The fact that this guy got fired is absurd.

Further illustrates the point that dissenting opinions in the PC culture will not be tolerated.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,772 Posts
    Big Government yet aga. err wait nvm. Just private company making their own personnel decision.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,866 Posts
    Yep. They have the right... but it's ridiculous that they do it.

The message of the left is always, we are only tolerant if you agree with us

This guy just got fired for saying companies shouldn't force diversity

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,866 Posts

5. The Following User Says Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

Jaw (08-09-2017)

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,772 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    If Google is the one teaching that guy's daughter ethical values, then he's doing a poor job at parenting.

Funny how you always lambast gold and 57 for snarky "gotcha" tweets...
    Forever Fredi

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,772 Posts
    Insert Krgrecw-thethe-sturg circlejerk on how this is

"yet another example of the left destroying america"
    "the left just has no idea"
    -false equivalence somehow tying this to Obama
    -false equivalence somehow tying this to hypocrisy of African-Americans
    -false equivalence somehow tying this to hypocrisy of LGBT issues.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,866 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Fredi View Post
    If Google is the one teaching that guy's daughter ethical values, then he's doing a poor job at parenting.

Funny how you always lambast gold and 57 for snarky "gotcha" tweets...
    That's not a gotcha tweet.

That's an actual point that in a scenario where someone respectfully and sometimes rationally said that men and women might not necessarily have parallel career archs, the response was not to prove him wrong with data or maybe even invite a larger discussion on how to address the problem... no, the response is to silence that person.

Marches and complaints. It's been an effective strategy

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,772 Posts
    This guy just got fired for saying companies shouldn't force diversity
    If this type of mindset is not something a company wants in it's work environment or believes in, why shouldn't they be allowed to let someone go because of it?

How do you know that his mindset won't have an effect on other employees around him, not just females but males who don't agree with him? How do you know his preconceived notions about workforce diversity won't hinder his work or hurt the team in the future?

As a restaurant owner, if I find out one of my servers gives less service to black people because he already has in his mind they won't tip him anything, should I fire him for that belief?
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,866 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Fredi View Post
    If this type of mindset is not something a company wants in it's work environment or believes in, why shouldn't they be allowed to let someone go because of it?
    You keep making this point as if I believe that they shouldn't be allowed to.

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,772 Posts
    You keep making this point as if I believe that they shouldn't be allowed to.
    Everytime something like this happens (Duck Dynasty Phil Robertson suspension etc) you are the one holding the megaphone for this.

I thought we've already come to terms with something like this.

-Company isn't violating the guy's constitutional rights to free speech.
    -You don't think the company should fire someone based on their beliefs
    -You also acknowledge company's have the right to fire someone despite the fact you strongly strongly disagree with why.

Rinse-Repeat.
    Forever Fredi

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    441 Posts
    Uber tried to hire a woman CEO. They couldn't find one.

Not only are their differences between men and women, they are also differences between races that people are afraid to bring up. The faster we can admit there's differences between people and Understand them, the faster we can grow as people. People arent created equally.

I hope the Google guy sues and wins.
    Last edited by Krgrecw; 08-08-2017 at 06:27 PM.

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    441 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    I'm all for anyone who is qualified to be in the workforce.

What we are not considering is what is happening to the family unit. The divorce rate is out of control and I'm just not sure that is the best thing for the human race.

Women in the work field has also led to the increase in obesity. Working moms can't cook and prepare like stay at home moms can

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,265 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krgrecw View Post
    Uber tried to hire a woman CEO. They couldn't find one.

Not only are their differences between men and women, they are also differences between races that people are afraid to bring up. The faster we can admit there's differences between people and Understand them, the faster we can grow as people. People arent created equally.

I hope the Google guy sues and wins.
    Quote Originally Posted by Krgrecw View Post
    Women in the work field has also led to the increase in obesity. Working moms can't cook and prepare like stay at home moms can

this is where we are now
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,480 Posts
    This thread is so ****ing amusing. The same guy who says that the market would resolve the Civil Rights Act by protesting and shaming businesses who don't serve blacks, ****s on Google for reacting to public shame and protests. Just rich.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,866 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    This thread is so ****ing amusing. The same guy who says that the market would resolve the Civil Rights Act by protesting and shaming businesses who don't serve blacks, ****s on Google for reacting to public shame and protests. Just rich.
    You guys act like this guy murdered someone.

He said that he didn't agree with their methods of forcing diversity and giving preferential treatment. Rather than have an honest dialogue about that, he was silenced.

Ho hum, from the left.

And yes, I'm fully aware that women have always fought for preferential treatment. And they are winning.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,750 Posts
    No one has mentioned the best part of this story. Google is currently under investigation for discriminatory pay practices against women. I dont care that he was fired. The only thing I object to is some people portraying him as some kind of monster. He isnt going to win any lawsuit because he sent it as a company wide memo. If it was a casual conversation where he says this then he might have a case. As some others have said you should have the right to fire and hire whoever the hell you want. If they dont want someone like him working for the fine, if I had an employee say "microagression" I would fire them immediately so I understand not wanting what you consider toxic in the workplace. I would hope these people at Google would support other people firing employees they consider toxic but I know they will be massive hypocrites when its a radical feminist getting fire for expressing her opinion.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to cajunrevenge For This Useful Post:

AerchAngel (08-11-2017)

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,480 Posts
    You guys act like this guy murdered someone.

He said that he didn't agree with their methods of forcing diversity and giving preferential treatment. Rather than have an honest dialogue about that, he was silenced.

Ho hum, from the left.

And yes, I'm fully aware that women have always fought for preferential treatment. And they are winning.
    This post has nothing to do with what I posted
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,866 Posts
    Most of the mainstream media refers to the former Google engineer's leaked internal memo as the "anti-diversity memo." Recode calls it "sexist." And Google fired James Damore for "perpetuating gender stereotypes." But in reality, the problem isn't diversity; it's that a senior software engineer admitted, perhaps unwittingly, to pondering three of the most scandalous thought crimes of contemporary American society.

The first crime is proposing that a meritocracy might be healthier for a company than bean-counting race, ethnicity and sex. The second is pointing out that ideological diversity matters. The third and most grievous of all is suggesting that men and women are, in general, physiologically and psychologically different, and thus they tend to excel at different things.

"On average," asserts Damore, "men and women biologically differ in many ways." He then has the temerity to accuse women of generally displaying a "stronger interest in people rather than things," of having empathy and "openness directed towards feelings and aesthetics," and of being less pushy and having less interest in status than male colleagues. Women, this guy says, are "more cooperative" than men and search out better "work-life balance."

There's much more, but I don't want to further upset any female readers.

One of the problems with this kerfuffle was that the vast majority of the histrionic reactions on social media and elsewhere have misrepresented not only what the memo says but also its purpose. It was neither a screed nor anti-diversity. It was the kind of unvarnished, dispassionate and meticulous case that I imagine many engineers offer. It's difficult to believe anyone who read through it with an open mind could interpret the author's notions as an attempt to consolidate the patriarchy or make life less diverse in his field.

The other, bigger problem is the reaction to it demonstrates that the author is completely right about the lack of ideological diversity and the consequences of that lack.

Damore's contentions about the bias at Google is a near-perfect summation of the dangers manifest in all close-minded institutions, including most of the news media and many universities. He points out that conflating "freedom from offense with psychological safety" shames people into silence. Further, he argues that these monocultures foster unhealthy environments where people can no longer honestly debate important topics. Finally, and most destructively, he says that these bubbles then promote "extreme and authoritarian elements."

We see incidents of this close-mindedness all the time. In schools. In government. In business. Just ask Brendan Eich, who was hounded out as CEO of Mozilla in 2013 for having the wrong opinion on gay marriage in 2008, despite zero evidence that he had ever discriminated against anyone in his life.

Or, better yet, ask Danielle Brown, Google's new vice president of diversity, integrity and governance. She wrote in response to the engineer's memo, "Diversity and inclusion are a fundamental part of our values and the culture," and then rebuked the statement, telling employees that she wouldn't link to the letter because everyone disagrees with its contents. Rather than showing appreciation for diverse thinking among her ranks, Brown even went on to insinuate that the engineer's suggestions in the memo might undermine "discrimination laws."

Does Brown believe that dissenting Google employees will now feel safer sharing their opinions when they see that the company won't stand by those making unpopular ones? Because, after all, any old VP of diversity, integrity and governance can defend positions that confirm the biases of the majority of their workforce.

Of course, nothing in the letter states women aren't as good as men, or that women deserve less money, or that women aren't suited to be good at tech jobs, or that they should be victimized by the company. The author mostly theorized as to why self-selection might account for some of the disparity at Google.

This is certainly well within the boundaries of legitimate debate. Or it used to be. There are still people who believe human beings are diverse and complicated, and judging them solely by sex or color is just a ham-fisted social experiment. "Treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group," says our engineer. His brand of American egalitarianism and idealism, however, is now frowned upon in large segments of society and at certain companies.

By firing Damore, Google confirms much of what he warns about. Of course, Google can take any political positions it likes. But its overwhelming power and reach into the everyday lives of so many Americans makes it a perfectly legitimate target for criticism.

"If we can't have an honest discussion about this, then we can never truly solve the problem," wrote Damore.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

acesfull86 (08-11-2017), thethe (08-12-2017)

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (08-11-2017), sturg33 (08-11-2017), thethe (08-12-2017)