Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts

Three-way talk

Ken Rosenthal
    @Ken_Rosenthal
    Sources: #Braves continue pushing 3B Chris Johnson in trade proposals, including deals in which he would be attached to another player.

Ken Rosenthal
    @Ken_Rosenthal
    #Braves used same model when they required #Padres to take Upton Jr. to get Kimbrel. #SFGiants among teams with no interest in Johnson.

Ken Rosenthal
    @Ken_Rosenthal
    One way those clubs could line up $$$ would be Johnson, Maybin for Peavy, Pagan. Sources say that precise combination was not discussed.

Ken Rosenthal
    @Ken_Rosenthal
    Peavy, in first yr of two-yr deal with full no-trade clause, one of four SPs under contract to #SFGiants in ’16. Pagan still valued by club.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Also, I realize that the title has nothing to do with actual trade discussed ... but, it's the 4th.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,907 Posts
    I was excited at the thread title.

Now I'm not excited we are using Maybin to dump CJ's salary.

I suppose Pagan could be another guy that reclaims his prior value.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory Mad Dog Murph's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    249 Posts
    I was talking about a 3 way last night and my wife slapped the sh!t out of me

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mad Dog Murph For This Useful Post:

Heyward (07-04-2015), JohnAdcox (07-06-2015), Knucksie (07-06-2015), The Chosen One (07-04-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,907 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Dog Murph View Post
    I was talking about a 3 way last night and my wife slapped the sh!t out of me
    I think the term is manajatwa!
    Natural Immunity Croc

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,282 Posts
    I didn't mind tethering BJ to Kimbrel- Upton's contract was onerous enough that unloading it was a significant priority, and Kimbrel was good enough that we were still able to get a solid prospect in Wisler.

I don't like the same strategy with CJ and Maybin. For one, Johnson's contract, while bad, isn't that awful in the modern salary environment. Another two seasons at an average of $8.5 million, with a $1 million buyout...you want to be rid of that, but that's not really an imperative. And Maybin won't merit the same sort of return if tied to a bad contract. So we'd end surrendering a reasonably solid trade asset (and reasonably solid player) for not much return, all so we can get rid of a contract that isn't that bad.

The Kimbrel-Upton trade took a lot of economic pressure off the franchise, and with the new park just a season and a half away we shouldn't be in a position where we have to scrounge up every last dime. If we don't want Johnson on the team and no one is willing to trade for him, just eat the contract. We have the freedom to do so.

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MadduxFanII For This Useful Post:

CyYoung31 (07-04-2015), jpx7 (07-04-2015), Perfect Cell (07-05-2015), thethe (07-04-2015), TXBravesFan (07-04-2015), UNCBlue012 (07-04-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,747 Posts
    Maybin/Johnson for Peavy/Pagan makes no sense. Don't even think it saves money.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Maybin has a pretty solid contract, if a team offers a good prospect for him, maybe.

But i wouldnt put him in to get another bad contract off the books

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    So quit crying about it. Are you even a fan?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to NinersSBChamps For This Useful Post:

Heyward (07-04-2015)

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    261 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    Yeah, we'd owe CJ 17.5 mil including his buyout, and Maybin would technically be 9 mil for next year and buyout. So it'd be 26.5 mil versus 23 mil for Peavy and Pagan. Considering we could easily trade Maybin at these point we'd basically be losing money in the deal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,053 Posts
    I'm not opposed to packaging Maybin with CJ. I agree that having that money to spend on the free agent market or in trades beats what we will get from Maybin.

Think about it this way. Which would you rather have, Mallex in center and a 17 million dollar a year player or Maybin and CJ with Mallex being blocked.

Maybin has great value on the market right now but he's a huge risk to backslide. There's a good chance he's broken out but I don't want to be stuck with a $9 million 4th outfielder if he backslides.

Of course, if the offer was good enough for Maybin alone I would trade him and eat CJs contract.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,907 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    I'm not opposed to packaging Maybin with CJ. I agree that having that money to spend on the free agent market or in trades beats what we will get from Maybin.

Think about it this way. Which would you rather have, Mallex in center and a 17 million dollar a year player or Maybin and CJ with Mallex being blocked.

Maybin has great value on the market right now but he's a huge risk to backslide. There's a good chance he's broken out but I don't want to be stuck with a $9 million 4th outfielder if he backslides.

Of course, if the offer was good enough for Maybin alone I would trade him and eat CJs contract.
    You could play Maybin in LF and Mallex in CF. Yes, we would have limited power but Mallex is not being blocked right now by Maybin IMO.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,053 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    You could play Maybin in LF and Mallex in CF. Yes, we would have limited power but Mallex is not being blocked right now by Maybin IMO.
    Maybin isn't nearly as valuable as a left fielder. It's like saying you can buy a Monet to hang over your fireplace because you can move the Picssso that's there to the bathroom.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,907 Posts
    Maybin isn't nearly as valuable as a left fielder. It's like saying you can buy a Monet to hang over your fireplace because you can move the Picssso that's there to the bathroom.
    I don't think Maybin is a good defensive CF. If a novice like me is realizing this then the rest of baseball probably realizes it as well.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    232 Posts
    Maybin is still only 27 years old though. While some may consider his numbers unsustainable this year, he is still a young player who is just now at his physical peak. I'd say he has about a 4-5 year window of maintaining his performance from this year with the adjustments he has made with his hitting. Being that he is 27 years old and performing the way he has this year, he is a tremendous asset for the Braves. If you deal him, you should get 1-2 high level prospects in return in the deal. It's a classic buy low sell high situation. Maybin was a throw in just to get his contract off the books in the Kimbrel deal, and now, Atlanta could get a couple of strong prospects in return for him from a team that wants to make a push to the playoffs.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to KB21 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (07-05-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,053 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    I'm fine with trading Maybin by himself if the return is what you speak of. But to attach him to CJ just so the Braves can get out of his contract is insane.
    It's a question of whether you'd rather have more prospects or more money to go after a free agent or a big name in a trade this offseason. I don't think it's insane to use Maybin to move Johnson if it gives to flexibility this winter. I don't think it's insane to eat Johnson's contract and use Maybin to get another prospect or two.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to striker42 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (07-05-2015), Horsehide Harry (07-05-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,907 Posts
    It's a question of whether you'd rather have more prospects or more money to go after a free agent or a big name in a trade this offseason. I don't think it's insane to use Maybin to move Johnson if it gives to flexibility this winter. I don't think it's insane to eat Johnson's contract and use Maybin to get another prospect or two.
    The future of the franchise will be in better shape if they just trade Maybin by himself. Eventually, CJ's money is off thebooks and based on how the team is looking now I think a huge spike in revenues is coming where Cj's money won't be detrimental to the future.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    The money argument is stupid, there's not much money on the payroll next year.

Packaging Maybin with CJ is mind-boggling dumb, and two, we arent getting Heyward or Justin, so throw that out the window.

Just keep Maybin, unless a team if offering a really good prospect.

Even still, you arent gonna find better value than Maybin on the FA market than Maybin at 8 mil next year and 9 mil in 2017, thats some good value.

Markakis, Mallex, Markakis probably is very light offensively but if they cant land one of Justin or Jason, then what can ya do.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    I'm inclined to see what Hart does before assuming it will be dumb. His trade history to date has given me a lot of faith in him. Who's to say we don't package Maybin and CJ while getting a good prospect, that's what he did in our last salary dump. If he can turn Kimbrel and BJ into Wisler while trading part of San Diegos salary dump(Maybin) and CJs dead contract into another good prospect that would be damn impressive.

Teams get desperate this time of year. Hart seemed to premptively read the market well. Pitching appears to be in high demand and I would be surprised if we don't make another 2-3 good deals.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oklahomabrave For This Useful Post:

BravesfanMike (07-05-2015), clvclv (07-05-2015)

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    I like Cameron Maybin a lot, and I don't think that it's outside of the realm of possibility that he is able to produce at the same level for the remainder of his current contract and beyond.

That said, if Hart is able to move him at this sort of zenith, AND it comes with dumping CJ plus acquiring some interesting talent in return ... I'm open.