Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,480 Posts

Zimmerman Trial

I really have to admit reading what people have to say about it on facebook and other message boards is highly amusing. Pretty much 100% of the posts I've read aren't based in facts but rather in a bias slant people claim are facts. It's really sad that shoddy police work means we won't have the answer to what really happened that night. If the police treated that case as a potential murder, you would likely have known more about the details. Thankfully they didn't 100% botch it cause I'm of the opinion that Zimmerman should be in jail for being an idiot essentially. Under no circumstances should he have gotten out of his car and pursued Martin. And for me those events lead to Martin's death.

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,265 Posts
    I wish black people cared as much about black on black crime as much as they do about this case

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to goldfly For This Useful Post:

BoneThrower (07-12-2013), Runnin (07-12-2013), Tapate50 (07-15-2013), The Chosen One (07-12-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,709 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    I wish black people cared as much about black on black crime as much as they do about this case
    I actually think they do... The problem is that the media and Al Sharpton could give two craps about it.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to weso1 For This Useful Post:

AerchAngel (07-12-2013), BoneThrower (07-12-2013), bravesnumberone (07-12-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,480 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    Would be nice, but sadly the inner city embraces the gang culture, not realizing it's just another system putting the black man down.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zitothebrave For This Useful Post:

AerchAngel (07-12-2013), BoneThrower (07-12-2013), Runnin (07-12-2013)

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    Would be nice, but sadly the inner city embraces the gang culture, not realizing it's just another system putting the black man down.
    Zito nails it.

Reason why my dad moved us out of Chicago after I was two years old. Only when I was old enough to know better he then allowed me to visit Chicago alone and stay with family that is not into that culture.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,480 Posts
    I worked with a few people in the bloods and sad they didn't see the gang as the problem, they only saw the cops and city government as problems. NOt realizing that gang warfare is why parts of Trenton are a ghost town, cause people with money don't want to be around that. Places that clean up the gang issues lead to better circumstances.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory BlackwaterPark's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    Imagine what good could be done in the world if people redirected their time and energy invested in this case, and put it to use. Who cares, the guy is dead, time to move on.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,996 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    I really have to admit reading what people have to say about it on facebook and other message boards is highly amusing. Pretty much 100% of the posts I've read aren't based in facts but rather in a bias slant people claim are facts. It's really sad that shoddy police work means we won't have the answer to what really happened that night. If the police treated that case as a potential murder, you would likely have known more about the details. Thankfully they didn't 100% botch it cause I'm of the opinion that Zimmerman should be in jail for being an idiot essentially. Under no circumstances should he have gotten out of his car and pursued Martin. And for me those events lead to Martin's death.
    I basically agree with this. I'm a left-of-center consensus guy who has no trouble with the 2nd amendment. Own as many guns as you want. I frankly don't know why some people have turned it into something almost theological, but that's another matter. My point would be is that Zimmerman essentially "came to the nuisance" and there wouldn't have been a death if he hadn't been creeping on Martin.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    876 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I basically agree with this. I'm a left-of-center consensus guy who has no trouble with the 2nd amendment. Own as many guns as you want. I frankly don't know why some people have turned it into something almost theological, but that's another matter. My point would be is that Zimmerman essentially "came to the nuisance" and there wouldn't have been a death if he hadn't been creeping on Martin.
    The problem is you can't convict someone of murder for getting out of his vehicle and on a guy.

I don't know if he initiated the altercation or not, but I haven't seen any evidence that states he did. If evidence is presented that Zimm initiated the altercation, he should go to jail.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,767 Posts
    He should at least get manslaughter.

Murder I don't think they'll get him for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,480 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    The problem is you can't convict someone of murder for getting out of his vehicle and on a guy.

I don't know if he initiated the altercation or not, but I haven't seen any evidence that states he did. If evidence is presented that Zimm initiated the altercation, he should go to jail.
    I dont' think he should get murder (though maybe he would have with proper police) but he should get a manslaughter charge, even if it's just negligence.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,709 Posts
    The question is can it be proven that Zimmerman broke any laws. I'm not sure that has been proven.

Imagine how overcrowded jails would be if people were put in jail for being an idiot, a weirdo or an asshole.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to weso1 For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (07-12-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,480 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post
    The question is can it be proven that Zimmerman broke any laws. I'm not sure that has been proven.

Imagine how overcrowded jails would be if people were put in jail for being an idiot, a weirdo or an asshole.
    I think it's a viable question, and assuming Zimmerman gets off (highly likely) I think it should let everyone re-evaluate gun laws in this country. Based on evidence (Zimmerman's injuries, etc.) I think having more strict requirements to getting a gun should be looked at. This isn't a man who knew what to do in a situation like that. Let's assume Martin is dangerous, why would you follow him? That's not the job of a citizen. Every citizen JMO should go through a police like training before they can own a firearm, certainly before they can carry a firearm in public.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,996 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post

I'm not suggesting he be convicted. I don't think he is guilty of these particular charges. Only thing that would stick would be involuntary manslaughter and I think that the "stand your ground" law would trump that because of the murkiness of the altercation. If Zimmerman was truly in fear of losing his life or property, it appears the Florida "stand your ground" is a pretty strong peg to hang his hat on.

I'm suggesting that Zimmerman is a paranoid cop wannabe who was packing heat and that is not a recipe for good things. Whether or not he initiated the altercation doesn't mean much to me. If he believed Martin was up to no good, he should have called 911 and let it go at that. Problem is, it appears (and let me stress appears) that Zimmerman was a known goofball who called 911 at every time an Escalade drove by and officials didn't take him seriously (again). In the absence of an official response, Zimmerman inserted himself into the action and we all know the result. Tragic and Zimmerman will live with the results. And whatever "stand your ground" proponents contend, this guy is hardly the poster child for those types of laws.
    Last edited by 50PoundHead; 07-12-2013 at 03:00 PM.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-12-2013), zitothebrave (07-12-2013)

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    876 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I'm not suggesting he be convicted. I don't think he is guilty of these particular charges. Only thing that would stick would be involuntary manslaughter and I think that the "stand your ground" law would trump that because of the murkiness of the altercation. If Zimmerman was truly in fear of losing his life or property, it appears the Florida "stand your ground" is a pretty strong peg to hang his hat on.

I'm suggesting that Zimmerman is a paranoid cop wannabe who was packing heat and that is not a recipe for good things. Whether or not he initiated the altercation doesn't mean much to me. If he believed Martin was up to no good, he should have called 911 and let it go at that. Problem is, it appears (and let me stress appears) that Zimmerman was a known goofball who called 911 at every time an Escalade drove by and officials didn't take him seriously (again). In the absence of an official response, Zimmerman inserted himself into the action and we all know the result. Tragic and Zimmerman will live with the results. And whatever "stand your ground" proponents contend, this guy is hardly the poster child for those types of laws.
    Certainly sounds like Zimmerman was a parnoid wannabe cop. if he followed someone, confronted them, physcially assaulted them, and only shot when he was getting beat up, then he should be convicted. But, the evidence appears to show wannabe cop followed guy. Guy didn't appreciate it and was beyond the scope of the typical response for someone following you.

Getting out of the car was wrong, but not a convictable offense. Following someone on public property, again, maybe wrong, nothing to convict. The whole point of who I think should or shouldn't be convicted of something relies on who turned this into a physical confrontation.

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    441 Posts
    Yes. I'm sure they had a verbal exchange. Most people do before they fight. What does that have to
    Do with a shooting?

you think Martin may had saw the gun and acted in self defense?

Scripps National Spelling Bee Finalist elmonthc's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krgrecw View Post
    Yes. I'm sure they had a verbal exchange. Most people do before they fight. What does that have to
    Do with a shooting?

If zimmerman wasnt trying to be a wannabe cop this wouldnt have hqppened. The kid was followed because he was black and provoked. Then he was shot because zimmerman is a *****.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,480 Posts
    Do with a shooting?

Why don't you read what I said to gilesfan. I'm assuming that it's hardly out of the question that when Martin and Zimmerman were looking at eachother and Martin asked him what's his problem or whatever that he could have seen Zimmerman's piece and when Zimmerman went to his pocket for his phone that he could be construed as going for a weapon.

I'm not saying that happened, but it's easy to see how it could happen.

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    441 Posts
    On the 911 call Zimmerman couldn't initially describe Martin's skin color. He didn't follow Martin because he was black, he didn't even know his skin color. It's on the 911 call

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,767 Posts
    On the 911 call Zimmerman couldn't initially describe Martin's skin color. He didn't follow Martin because he was black, he didn't even know his skin color. It's on the 911 call
    Eh that's not the point.

I'm sure he narrowed it down in his mind to either being black or mexican.

Zimmerman's a bit more racist than we're being told.
    Forever Fredi