Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
I'll preface this by saying that my preference was 100% to extent Justin. I don't know why we didn't, I'm sure it could've been done.

However, as far as the trade goes, I really don't know what you guys expected. Someone mentioned it's similar to the package we sent FOR JUp, but I don't agree at all. That package included an up-and-down ML player that needed a contract (Prado) and two INFs outside the BA top 100 (at the time, think Drury might be in now) for three (3) years of Upton. We just traded ONE year of Upton for a more desirable package than that.

If we weren't going to extent him, one year of Upton does us no good except a comp. pick, and to say that comp. pick is worth more than any guys in this deal is a HUGE stretch. Like, a stretch the most flexible gymnast can't make.

I also thinks this betters our situation with CJ. If he starts hitting and a contender wants him, it's easy to deal him now. If he's terrible again, I really think we will DFA him and roll with Peterson or Kubitza.

Prospects is a numbers game. Even really highly-touted prospects flame out (MANY people are down on Wil Myers right now, for a plethora of reasons). The four guys we just got all have good-to-great upsides. Our farm is very well re-stocked and it was barren before this off-season. I'm still not a fan of the Heyward trade, because I personally would have made every effort to extent him because I think he will take off value-wise. However, other than extenting Justin, this is probably the 2nd best outcome, IMO. I trust our guys if they really like Fried, which they clearly do.
Well put.

The worst part of the trade is that we can't keep who we are giving up. That's disappointing.