Thread: FA Pitchers

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,545 Posts

FA Pitchers

Let's talk about FA pitchers the Bravos might pursue. I think we have 25-30M to play with this off-season. The amount could grow if we made certain moves--trading Maybin for example.

I expect us to spend about half of that amount on a catcher and two or three bench/bullpen signings.

It is a buyer's market for FA starting pitchers and it is in that category that I expect us to make a major acquisition. For $12-18/year we can pick up a pitcher with expected production of about 2-3 WAR.

At the high end of that range perhaps above it you have Jordan Zimmerman. I'd be interested in him at 18M/year.

There are some attractive options that would cost a bit less than Zimmerman: Samardzija, Latos, Lackey, Kazmir. (Group 1)

A bit less attractive but within the projected 2-3 WAR: Buehrle, Chen, Iwakuma, Leake, Gallardo. (Group 2)

Below that range, but possibly worth kicking the tires on at a bargain price: Kennedy, Estrada, Lohse, Anderson. (Group 3).

I've long argued against signing pitchers to long-term deals. My opposition has somewhat softened because I think with the glut of FA starting pitchers it will be a buyers market and we can get a bargain this off-season. I still think it is important to limit the length of the contract. And I would insist on an option year to give us some upside. Ideally, 3 years plus an option year with most of these guys. And less with the older guys like Lackey and Buehrle.

My preference would be to get someone in Group 1 or even Zimmerman. I like Leake the most of the guys in Group 2. I think our being in the midst of a rebuilding period will make it more difficult to attract some of these candidates. The FO will have to do some sifting and identify those willing to consider a team in our situation. Above all I hope they are patient and go for value rather than a particular pitcher.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 09-11-2015 at 09:48 AM.