I found this article in the NY Daily news where the writer was discussing Charlie Manuel after his firing and how he was the ideal manger type for the current era. Here are a few select quotes that stuck out:

Charlie Manuel, one of the underestimated baseball figures of our time, presented the model for how a contemporary manager can succeed. He was a genius at handling the sensitivities of the current MLB player, and he created the template that has informed my coverage of Jerry Manuel, Terry Collins, Joe Girardi, and everyone else.

The modern athlete is sensitive, insecure, and performs better when flattered. If a player does not feel that a manager has his back, the skipper will not succeed. Jerry Manuel once joked that injured righthander John Maine could pitch lefthanded, and called the Mets’ offense “pathetic;” he was right on the latter point, but lost the locker room with comments like that.

Terry Collins began his tenure by courting veterans Carlos Beltran, David Wright and Johan Santana, and has been rewarded -- in most cases, at least -- with a team that listens to him, and plays hard during losing seasons. Fans often want managers to be tougher, but that approach simply does not work

Would love to hear what my fellow Braves fans think, and if you think Fredi is anywhere close to this management style. Bobby Cox was the perfect definition of having his players backs.

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/bas...ayer-evaluatin