Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
I think one thing that happens when teams get to the point where everyone considers them the gold standard for a second is that people have a tendency to start over-exalting every thing they do whether it plays a significant role in their success or not. Or whether it was in fact something that any team would have done in the same situation.

The new buzz word is using depth and versatility to set up platoon situations. Hardly a new concept, but one that is sexy again because some winning teams are doing it.

Having a bunch of guys with certain strengths that can deploy by matchups is certainly a nice thing to have. I wish Atlanta would do more of that at least in moderation.

But at the end of the day, I do not think the Chris Taylors and Kike Hernandez's of the world are the reason the Dodgers are successful.

I would like to think the Braves see more in Shewmake than that at 21, but it does seem like a pretty weak draft class so maybe that's about all you can do there. I'm not thrilled by Shewmake primarily because his bat showed no real improvement over his time at TAMU. On one hand it was consistent, but the lack of progress calls the upside into question. Maybe a professional workout regimen will add that missing power though.
Very true. The game is constantly changing and a lot of what was deemed "new thinking" in the past can go the way of the dinosaur in a hurry. Dodgers are a very good franchise, but they also have a very high payroll. That level of payroll will keep Bellinger in Dodger Blue as long he's performing and arbitration on good younger players is not as urgent a consideration as it is in other markets. I have absolutely no problem with Anthopoulos attempting to replicate what the Dodgers are doing, only with a smaller payroll.

I could have seen several workable draft strategies. Maybe we take a higher ceiling/above slot guy at #21 and go with a couple of college seniors mid-second-day to accommodate that and maintain the third-day strategy on the high-ceiling lottery guys.