Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
you don't know his work habits. that's the point.
or do you? that's why i asked specific questions about his time in the film room (a standard you cited).
clearly he didn't spend much time "in the film room" because he could barely hit this season, right?
I don't follow the argument you're trying to make against everyone.

Are you suggesting it's a good idea for a team with a payroll of $120M-$140M to give a guy Josh Donaldson money into his mid-30s when he already can't play defense? Or that Ozuna will sign for less, and the Braves can take on that contract?

Are you assuming the DH will be around next year, and the Braves can stick his bat there? Or that he is acceptable in LF for a full season if there is no DH?

Are you arguing that some guys don't have work habit issues that would accelerate their declines? Or just that we can't possibly know this about Ozuna based on a single anecdote?

I suspect a guy who can't play defense at the age of 29 (he literally can't throw or run) is probably not going to age well. Whatever caused him to go from being CF-capable in 2014 to DH-only in 2020 before he even turned 30 is probably going to continue causing decline. Whether or not that something is a poor work ethic isn't really the issue. The issue is the extremely rapid decline in everything other than swinging a bat. Seems like a terrible gamble to hold up even medium term, but that's just my speculation.