Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Around Baseball 2024 edition

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerfherders View Post
    When will the Phillies play a good team? Theyve played 30 games against teams under .500, which is 8 more than the next closest NL team, and 12 more than the Braves.
    It wiill be awhile. In their next 6 series they only play 1 team over .500 which is the Rangers

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,392 Posts
    Who cares. They beat the teams they are supposed to and have done it easily. It is a balanced schedule so when they do play the teams the Braves have already played then the Braves will have to show they can beat these easy teams they are supposed to beat.
    Coppy

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Who cares. They beat the teams they are supposed to and have done it easily. It is a balanced schedule so when they do play the teams the Braves have already played then the Braves will have to show they can beat these easy teams they are supposed to beat.
    Will we do it?

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,392 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Will we do it?
    Yes
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,013 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerfherders View Post
    When will the Phillies play a good team? Theyve played 30 games against teams under .500, which is 8 more than the next closest NL team, and 12 more than the Braves.
    Their schedule starts to get harder in June. But it gets absolutely brutal in July through basically the rest of the season. They will crash hard.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,361 Posts
    The Padres are 22-23. Without the sweep by the Phillies they’d still be just 22-20. That’s the best team the Phillies have beaten in a series thus far. Surprise surprise, I don’t believe they’re nearly this good.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,564 Posts

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    It'll be good to have him back next year.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,147 Posts
    It wasn’t anything I did wrong.

I would never let anyone with that attitude lead anything I was part of.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,392 Posts
    Ok. Now I appreciate twit just a little more.
    Coppy

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    534 Posts
    Wash wanted another coaching gig, but the only one willing to give him a shot is the most poorly run franchise outside of Colorado.

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,282 Posts
    Is it really that hard to say, "You know, I thought it was the right call at the time. Romero made a difficult pitch, Luis tried his best, and it kind of backfired on us. It happens?"

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,013 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WaitingFor2017 View Post
    Wash wanted another coaching gig, but the only one willing to give him a shot is the most poorly run franchise outside of Colorado.
    LA is more poorly run than CO. At least CO has the excuse of being a small market team. LA has had top 10 payrolls most of the last 20 years I think. Sometimes top 5. And they continually fail to develop any prospects of note despite consistently having a high draft pick. CJ Cron is the only player they have drafted since Trout that has made an all-star team (with Colorado). Almost 15 straight years of 1st round picks that have all mostly failed. That's pretty remarkable.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,147 Posts
    https://powerrankingsguru.com/mlb/st...f-schedule.php

This site ranks teams in a manner that is suspect, but it also tabulates the strength of past and future schedules based on those rankings.

As we already know, the Phils so far have played the easiest schedule by far. Moving forward, the Braves play the 3rd easiest schedule.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 05-15-2024 at 04:00 PM.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,392 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    LA is more poorly run than CO. At least CO has the excuse of being a small market team. LA has had top 10 payrolls most of the last 20 years I think. Sometimes top 5. And they continually fail to develop any prospects of note despite consistently having a high draft pick. CJ Cron is the only player they have drafted since Trout that has made an all-star team (with Colorado). Almost 15 straight years of 1st round picks that have all mostly failed. That's pretty remarkable.
    to have Trout and ShowHey for 5 years (even with Trout's injuries) and not be able to build anything resembling a team around them should result in immediate death penalty for that franchise and every team getting to 'draft' from the active roster.. maybe do the draft order by the first letter of the city you play in picks first..
    Coppy

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,392 Posts
    Boy I hate watching Contreras highlights.
    Coppy

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,986 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Boy I hate watching Contreras highlights.
    I didn't know what to really think of the deal when made, but I am still surprised that the Brewers ended up with Contreras and only had to surrender Esteury Ruiz. Just the A's tank-a-thon in motion.

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    441 Posts
    MLB.tv is 50% off the rest of the year

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,147 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I didn't know what to really think of the deal when made, but I am still surprised that the Brewers ended up with Contreras and only had to surrender Esteury Ruiz. Just the A's tank-a-thon in motion.
    I think it was very clear the minute it was made...

Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    The Brewers turned Esteury Ruiz (a FV 40 prospect in 2022) into William Contreras and some filler arms. Let that huge win for the Brewers sink in a bit. It's like they sat there saying they'll take the best young player in the group because the As obviously love Ruiz, and everyone forgot to make them give up anything of value.

This deal is very strange. AA just converted strength at C and a legit option at DH into a poor man's JTR backed up by TDA and the realization that Ozuna will be the primary DH due to lack of other options. Another move for a LF/DH bat must be in the works. Conforto?
    AA then doubled down by extending that catcher well into his 30s. Meanwhile, Contreras is a stud who is several years younger and much cheaper.

That Murphy trade/extension was not the brilliant move folks claimed it was...and it was obvious the moment it happened.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,013 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    I think it was very clear the minute it was made...

AA then doubled down by extending that catcher well into his 30s. Meanwhile, Contreras is a stud who is several years younger and much cheaper.

That Murphy trade/extension was not the brilliant move folks claimed it was...and it was obvious the moment it happened.

Most of us voiced a good of bewilderment on that trade. Obviously we were happy to get a great catcher in Murphy, but we were puzzled why we traded a good young catcher for a slightly older and slightly better catcher. Particularly when SP/LF were much bigger needs at the time.

But as mediocre of a trade as that was for us, it was 100x times worse for Oakland.