Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Annual 100 PA check-in

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,151 Posts
    Kelenic has recently crossed the 100 PA threshold.

Kelenic: .245/.287/.343, .371 BABIP, 5.6% BB, 35.2% K, .281 wOBA, .260 xwOBA

When folks said "his floor is 2023 Rosario", I warned that in reality his floor was actually "unplayable". His mediocre results are largely a product of a wildly unsustainable .371 BABIP. He isn't walking, he's striking out way too much, and when he makes contact he isn't doing any damage. All that while facing almost exclusively RHP. This definitely isn't what the Braves paid $26M in resources to acquire, and if it doesn't turn around in the next 100 PAs they are once again going to need an OFer at the deadline because...SURPRISE...Duvall is terrible too.

Meanwhile, Grichuk is batting .290/.320/.420 with a very sustainable .317 BABIP. But what do I know? I'm just a guy on a message board who was pounding the table for that exact player who, by the way, is only being paid $2M.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 05-21-2024 at 03:37 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (05-21-2024), jpx7 (05-21-2024)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,004 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Kelenic has recently crossed the 100 PA threshold.

Kelenic: .245/.287/.343, .371 BABIP, 5.6% BB, 35.2% K, .281 wOBA, .260 xwOBA

When folks said "his floor is 2023 Rosario", I warned that in reality his floor was actually "unplayable". His mediocre results are largely a product of a wildly unsustainable .371 BABIP. He isn't walking, he's striking out way too much, and when he makes contact he isn't doing any damage. All that while facing almost exclusively RHP. This definitely isn't what the Braves paid $26M in resources to acquire, and if it doesn't turn around in the next 100 PAs they are once again going to need an OFer at the deadline because...SURPRISE...Duvall is terrible too.

Meanwhile, Grichuk is batting .290/.320/.420 with a very sustainable .317 BABIP. But what do I know? I'm just a guy on a message board who was pounding the table for that exact player who, by the way, is only being paid $2M.
    I have nothing violently against Kelenic, but I thought all the machinations to acquire him (and pay Gwinnett's starting SS and emergency relief pitcher $6 MM in the process) were really tortured. The thing that really jumps out is the BABIP and how unsustainable that appears to be.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,151 Posts
    Someone in the FO really believed in him, and it was a reasonable gamble to take. He's still worthy of a bit more leash.

The main issue I have is they took that gamble, and then didn't think they needed a backup plan like Grichuk until Acuna's knee scare...which was also always a risk. By then all that was left was Duvall, who is predictably terrible.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 05-21-2024 at 05:00 PM.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,404 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Someone in the FO really believed in him, and it was a reasonable gamble to take. He's still worthy of a bit more leach.

The main issue I have is they took that gamble, and then didn't think they needed a backup plan like Grichuk until Acuna's knee scare...which was also always a risk. By then all that was left was Duvall, who is predictably terrible.
    Unfortunately that might not be completely accurate. AA is on record saying he had troubles getting role players due to the 'talent' of the starting position players. It could very well be that a player of Girchuk's caliber just didn't want to play in Atl.
    Coppy

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-21-2024)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,404 Posts
    I think several here wanted Profar as well... I always like him as a backup/DH sub role.. I think he played the IF as well. I don't remember how much he signed for this past offseason, but it was probably under value with how good he has been this year.
    Coppy

8. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-21-2024)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,004 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    I think several here wanted Profar as well... I always like him as a backup/DH sub role.. I think he played the IF as well. I don't remember how much he signed for this past offseason, but it was probably under value with how good he has been this year.
    Interesting off-season for Profar. Padres bought out his option after 2023 and he became a free agent and then signed with the Padres again for what looks like the same $1 MM he was paid last year. I think a lot of folks in here have advocated for him. Pretty much an OF now after looking like a super-utility option earlier in his career. Switch-hitter with even R/L splits over this career.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-22-2024)