Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cubs game 2

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,754 Posts
    For as bad as Olson has been he still has a .740 OPS. One hot streak and he will be back above .800.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,785 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    For as bad as Olson has been he still has a .740 OPS. One hot streak and he will be back above .800.
    We need him over .850 though.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,404 Posts
    We need him to not be really good for 2-3 weeks and crap for 2 months and then say but look his stats aren't too bad. unless one of those really really good weeks fall in Oct. I would prefer good over 6 months personally.
    Coppy

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,896 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    As bad as our offense has been, we are winning at a 98 win pace…. Just sucks the Phillies are winning at a 117 win pace
    Phillies are playing out of their minds. But they have only played 1 team that is currently over .500 and that's the Braves the first series of the year. Their next team that's currently over .500 will be the Brewers the fist week of June. So they have gone 2 months playing average at best teams. How does that happen.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,896 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    We need him to not be really good for 2-3 weeks and crap for 2 months and then say but look his stats aren't too bad. unless one of those really really good weeks fall in Oct. I would prefer good over 6 months personally.
    Well last year we had excellence for 6 months and **** for a week in October. I just want the team to hit in October.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,586 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Phillies are playing out of their minds. But they have only played 1 team that is currently over .500 and that's the Braves the first series of the year. Their next team that's currently over .500 will be the Brewers the fist week of June. So they have gone 2 months playing average at best teams. How does that happen.
    The best measurement of a good team is beating the teams you’re supposed to beat convincingly.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,363 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    The best measurement of a good team is beating the teams you’re supposed to beat convincingly.
    They’re a good team. They’re nowhere near a 117 win team.
    Not playing a team above .500 for two months is wild.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,896 Posts
    I'd rather just play well in October. Beating the **** ouf of the poor teams of the league doesn't do anything for me anymore

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,404 Posts
    so looking at records versus >.500 versus .500 or less..

The Phills are 4-2 against > .500 teams or winning 67% and 32-12 versus .500 or lower which is 73%
    The Braves are 11-12 vs > .500 teams or basically 48% and 17-6 versus .500 or lower which is 74%

that actually surprised me a bit. I felt the Braves have been worse against lower teams but they are beating the teams they should. Just the recent play against good teams has them below .500... The Phils don't have enough samples to say if they will be good versus them or not.

Time will tell
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,586 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    They’re a good team. They’re nowhere near a 117 win team.
    Not playing a team above .500 for two months is wild.
    I’m aware of that. They’re definitely playing over their heads by a decent margin. I just don’t like the argument that they’re not good because they are beating bad teams.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,404 Posts
    I'd rather just play well in October. Beating the **** ouf of the poor teams of the league doesn't do anything for me anymore
    this is me. The Braves will win enough games to make the postseason.. too many average to bad teams not too... I don't care anymore about winning the division until the playoff format actually helps a team that grinds 162 games and wins the division. Until then why even play that many games.. almost seems like the 6 months of regular season is meaningless and the league could just do a round robin play in tournament to determine a champion. The regular season is a joke now and teams should build a roster specifically for playoff runs and try to keep the team healthy as their main goal for 6 months.
    Coppy

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,896 Posts
    I’m aware of that. They’re definitely playing over their heads by a decent margin. I just don’t like the argument that they’re not good because they are beating bad teams.
    Who is saying they aren't good?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,586 Posts
    Who is saying they aren't good?
    I’m just saying that people are detracting from their success because of it. I don’t think that’s fair.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,896 Posts
    I’m just saying that people are detracting from their success because of it. I don’t think that’s fair.
    I mean I think it's okay to say they aren't one of the best teams of all time even though their current W/L rate would say that they are.

But they were projected to have a top 2 pitching staff in baseball and so far they are living up to it. I do think their offense being as good as it is, is a direct result of their competition though.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,032 Posts
    They've gotten insanely lucky production from Bohm, and Sosa and Clemens who are sort of in a 3 way platoon with Stott at SS and 2b since Turner went out. And 3 of their pitchers have an ERA a full run below their FIP. They've also been unusually healthy as well, despite having a pretty old team.

They will regress, and they will regress hard as they reach the meat of their schedule. I think the have the hardest schedule in baseball from June through the rest of the season.
    Last edited by Carp; 05-23-2024 at 10:34 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,586 Posts
    Again, I understand all of that guys. I’m not disputing it. I’m strictly talking about how they’ve fared against the competition they played.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    315 Posts
    At this point catching them is going to come down to the head-to-head plus the next 11 games. We have to deal with PIT, WSH, and OAK how they have dealt with lesser competition to have any shot.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    315 Posts
    [QUOTE=bravesfanMatt;1023002]I think I talked myself into not wanting to win the division. I know that is one more series the team could get bounced in but if they loose a wild card series then I assume they weren’t going to win a division or championship series. Let the Phillies sit for over a week and then have to face a team that pretty much already reset their pitching.

Hopefully once these 100+ win teams get bounced again mlb and Dickfred will make winning more valuable.[/QUOT

Not wanting the division...smh. If I were running MLB you would win a division or you would be home on your couch. When realignment comes 4 division winners, 8 team playoff is all baseball needs.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,404 Posts
    [QUOTE=VirginiaBrave;1023094]
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    I think I talked myself into not wanting to win the division. I know that is one more series the team could get bounced in but if they loose a wild card series then I assume they weren’t going to win a division or championship series. Let the Phillies sit for over a week and then have to face a team that pretty much already reset their pitching.

Hopefully once these 100+ win teams get bounced again mlb and Dickfred will make winning more valuable.[/QUOT

Not wanting the division...smh. If I were running MLB you would win a division or you would be home on your couch. When realignment comes 4 division winners, 8 team playoff is all baseball needs.
    well you are not running the league and thus the playoff format is watered down with tons of off days baked in.. it holds zero benefit for a division winner outside of homefield (minimal advantage) and not playing a bad team in a 3 game series.
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,032 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaBrave View Post
    At this point catching them is going to come down to the head-to-head plus the next 11 games. We have to deal with PIT, WSH, and OAK how they have dealt with lesser competition to have any shot.
    We get to avoid Skenes in Pitt, which is a plus. The way the offense is going right now, he'd probably rack up 15-20 Ks.