Thread: FIFA World Cup 2014

Waiting for Free Agency acesfull86's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    920 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
    Kevin Negandhi ‏@KNegandhiESPN 1h
    What does 7 soccer goals equate to? Based on avg per team per game last 10 years: 14 NHL goals, 22 MLB runs, 107 NFL pts, 484 NBA points.
    I think ESPN needs to retake stats...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    920 Posts
    Lol at the 3rd place game. Is there a more irrelevant waste of time iin sports? (Don't answer that with a Mets joke...)

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    NFL Pro Bowl.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    876 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by acesfull86 View Post
    I think ESPN needs to retake stats...
    That is the dumbest thin give seen. Totally wrong
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    920 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    NFL Pro Bowl.
    Good point

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,476 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Strike3urout View Post
    If anything, it proved what happens when Thiago Silva can't bail out David Luiz' defensive positioning. He looked like he stumbled into the wrong sport. Cesar is not a good goalie, but it's hard to blame him when most of his defense runs around like headless little chicken.

Anyway, time to make history and put this crowning achievement on our golden generation of players!
    True point as well. Luiz is better as a CDM jmo because he can roam more. Silva is a great CB who'll probably be at his peak if he's healthy for the next WC run. Losing Silva hurt them but several of the goals were savable. I mean the Klose goal there's no way that you don't parry that away or trap it. If it's in your frame you trap it if it's outside you clear it. The first Kroos goal he was on his his heels. The ball was shot just to his right with some slice should have been punched away. After that the Brazilians just gave up and everything else was because the Germans were the much more professional team. Though I have no clue what Cesar was doing so far off his line for the Khedira goal. I guess he was trying to cover Ozil, but he should have trusted his defender a bit more to cover the far post with angles knowing that Ozil is a shoot second type of player.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,476 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by acesfull86 View Post
    Lol at the 3rd place game. Is there a more irrelevant waste of time iin sports? (Don't answer that with a Mets joke...)
    Homerun derby. 70% of the Olympic Sports (ping pong, trampoline, and dressage I'm looking at you)

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,766 Posts
    If anything, it proved what happens when Thiago Silva can't bail out David Luiz' defensive positioning. He looked like he stumbled into the wrong sport. Cesar is not a good goalie, but it's hard to blame him when most of his defense runs around like headless little chicken.

Anyway, time to make history and put this crowning achievement on our golden generation of players!
    Good to see you back here.
    Forever Fredi

Spring Training Invitee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    True point as well. Luiz is better as a CDM jmo because he can roam more. Silva is a great CB who'll probably be at his peak if he's healthy for the next WC run. Losing Silva hurt them but several of the goals were savable. I mean the Klose goal there's no way that you don't parry that away or trap it. If it's in your frame you trap it if it's outside you clear it. The first Kroos goal he was on his his heels. The ball was shot just to his right with some slice should have been punched away. After that the Brazilians just gave up and everything else was because the Germans were the much more professional team. Though I have no clue what Cesar was doing so far off his line for the Khedira goal. I guess he was trying to cover Ozil, but he should have trusted his defender a bit more to cover the far post with angles knowing that Ozil is a shoot second type of player.
    Yeah, the first Kroos goal would have been saved by a competent keeper. On the second one he was probably trying to shorten the angle on Özil. But again, Brazil's problem was allowing the opposition to pass the ball around like that in their box in the first place. And that had a lot to do with Luiz constantly moving out of position for no good reason and with no coverage.

Spring Training Invitee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithLockhart View Post
    Good to see you back here.
    Thanks! Never stopped reading, but I have barely enough time right now to catch up with the Braves games, but not enough to keep up with them enough to have something meaningful to contribute.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,476 Posts
    Yeah, the first Kroos goal would have been saved by a competent keeper. On the second one he was probably trying to shorten the angle on Özil. But again, Brazil's problem was allowing the opposition to pass the ball around like that in their box in the first place. And that had a lot to do with Luiz constantly moving out of position for no good reason and with no coverage.
    Brazil certainly got exposed something fierce. I'm glad. Hopefully they lose the 3rd place game too and Robben goes off.

Will be interesting to watch as the Golden Ball and Golden Boot are coming down to the last day most likely. Messi and Muller both on 4, Robben and RvP at 3. Robben and Messi are likely leaders for Golden Ball and their respective performances are likely to determine who wins. Muller could sneak in with a strong performance.

Got the Call to Lynchburg
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    61 Posts
    I hope Di Maria can go

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,263 Posts
    Golden Ball will go to James Rodriguez

depending on what Messi does in the Final is my guess

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,476 Posts
    Unless Messi craps the bed it should be him. Rodriguez was great, and is likely to win the Golden Boot, unless Messi goes off or Muller nets one. But Messi was certainly more dangerous of a player. That being said, James has the media coverage. That's' his advantage. Personally I wouldn't be upset if it was Muller who won it.

On an unrelated note, Michael Bradley still is pretty close to the top in distance covered, Only a few 5 game starters are past him. The only player giving him a run for his money in distance per game is Celso Borges. Pretty amazing how much effort Bradley and Jones put in.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,476 Posts
    Anyone follow the story of the Belgian fan who got a modelling gig for being on TV and being hot? Well she's already done haha.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,476 Posts
    Why is Robben diving when the game doesn't matter?

17. The Following User Says Thank You to zitothebrave For This Useful Post:

The Chosen One (07-12-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,476 Posts
    What the hell happened to Alandre Pato? After realizing how pathetic Brazil's attack sans Neymar has been. But Alexandre Pato

Also holy **** Julio Cesar sucks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,476 Posts
    I really wish the knockout stages were as good as the group stages. It's like no one wanted ot make a mistake and stuck too many behind the ball for a flowing creative game

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,476 Posts
    What possibly is my last post in this thread. Early crazy idea for 2018

USA has a handful of talented young or youngish defenders. Not much unless Shea or Gatt take it to the next level coming from the wing types.

Go with a 5-2-1-2

RWB - Yedlin
    RCB - Besler
    CB - Gonzalez
    LCB - Brooks
    LWB - Chandler/Johnson
    CM - Bradley
    CM - Diskerud
    CAM - Zelalem
    ST - Altidore
    ST - Green

Other idea is if Shea and/or Gatt develop is a system like he had before the WC.

RB - Yedlin
    CB - Brooks
    CB - Besler/Gonzalez (whoever is better form and or better pairing with Brooks)
    LB - Chandler/Johnson
    RM - Green
    CM - Bradley
    CM - Diskerud
    LM - Shea/Gatt
    CAM - Zelalem (could switch him with Green or Diskerud)
    ST - Jozy

Of course you never know what may happen. Maybe Agudelo or BOyd kicks it into gear. Maybe Mix doesn't develop, any number of things could happen. Even though we likely won't have Dempsey our defense looks way more promising. 4 years ago our WC defense was Cherundolo (still sad he couldn't make it) Bocanegra (kind of old very fast fall) the Ghost of Gooch and guy who couldn't play in MLS Jay Demerit, with some Jonathan freaking Bornstein sprinkled in. The best thing about Klinsmann was the death of Jonathan Bornstein as a US international. Our young guys were Spector and Bornstein. Only one of them had any kind of potential. Now we have for younger guys Yedlin, Brooks, Chandler, and Gonzalez, and Besler, Cameron, and Johnson are gonna be 32 or younger next WC so should still have another WC in them, and don't seem to have terrible knees like Gooch. Mid field also looks more promising. Bradley obviously was a star in 2010 and still shold be a force in 2018. Aside from Bradley we had Dempsey and Donovan out wide, but that's about it unless you count the unfortunate Stuart Holden who can't seem to stay on the pitch. Jose Torres never amounted to anything. Feilhaber never amounted to anything, Edu I liked the promise but his journey to Stoke seemingly killed him, and Bob Bradley insisted on a 2 striker formation involving the soccer inept Edson Buddle.

For next WC run we have guys who likely will return (2018 age in parenthesis) in Bradley (30) Yedlin (24) Green (23) Brooks (24) Besler (31) Gonzalez (29) Johnson (30) Johannson (27) Jozy (28) Zusi (31) Cameron (32) chandler (28) Diskerud (27) Guzan (33) and Bedoya (31)

Jones, Dempsey, Davis, Beckerman, Wondo, and Beasley are all on the wrong side of 30. Dempsey and Jones may fight their way onto the roster, but I wouldn't bet on it. Dempsey or Donovan (if he gets his act together) could be used as bench guys next round.

Guys to watch for next time arond with 2018 age

GK

Bill Hamid (27)
    Sean Johnson (29)
    Cody Cropper (25 maybe the best chance to take over as starter kid is already in the Southampton system)

DF
    WIll Packwood (25)
    Tim Ream (30)
    Chris Klute (28)
    Shane O'Neill (24)
    Eric Lichaj (29)

MF

Joe Corona (28)
    Maurice Edu (32)
    Luis Gil (24)
    Brek Shea (28)
    Danny Williams (29)
    Jose Torres (never know he'll be 30 but I don't have much faith)
    Stuart Holden (32)
    Josh Gatt (26)

FW

Terrence Boyd (27)
    Juan Agudelo (25)
    Patrick Mullins (26)

I'm forgetting some players I know. But it's late. Mullins is one that I hope gets a look at next January Camp. Kid has 4 goals in 10 games as a rookie for New England. Could be another Dempsey type of player who wasn't sorted out young but came on later.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,065 Posts
    Who won?