Page 86 of 115 FirstFirst ... 3676848586878896 ... LastLast
Results 1,701 to 1,720 of 2295

Thread: Spring Training 2015

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I don't think there's any hypocrisy per se going on. They are just throwing a ton of stuff at the wall to see what sticks. It will be interesting to see if Russell garners any interest.
    I find it comical that the person accusing the opposing side to his view hypocrites is a poster that recently got caught and called out for telling a story about Tommy La Stella. He was saying La Stella didn't look very comfortable at third base and cited one game where it turns out La Stella had zero chances and this was the only game he'd seen him play there. Now it is understandable to expect La Stella not to be good defensively at third. But to post saying he didn't look very comfortable there while citing a game that he had zero balls hit to him seems rather dishonest IMO.

That said, La Stella interestingly enough said he felt very comfortable at third. I found it equally funny they used the same words in the opposite direction.

PS: I am not saying I believe La Stella will turn out good at third.
    Last edited by Braves1976; 03-29-2015 at 03:18 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Braves1976 For This Useful Post:

zbhargrove (03-29-2015)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,986 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves1976 View Post
    I find it comical that the person accusing the opposing side to his view hypocrites is a poster that recently got caught and called out for telling a story about Tommy La Stella. He was saying La Stella didn't look very comfortable at third base and cited one game where it turns out La Stella had zero chances and this was the only game he'd seen him play there. Now it is understandable to expect La Stella not to be good defensively at third. But to post saying he didn't look very comfortable there while citing a game that he had zero balls hit to him seems rather dishonest IMO.

That said, La Stella interestingly enough said he felt very comfortable at third. I found it equally funny they used the same words in the opposite direction.

PS: I am not saying I believe La Stella will turn out good at third.
    ? I don't think you are talking about me. I honestly don't know if La Stella can play 3B or not. Only thing I've ever said about the guy is that he wold project to be a good utility guy if he can and that scouting reports about him have always questioned his glove.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    ? I don't think you are talking about me. I honestly don't know if La Stella can play 3B or not. Only thing I've ever said about the guy is that he wold project to be a good utility guy if he can and that scouting reports about him have always questioned his glove.
    No 50 I wasn't talking about you, I was talking about the person accusing the opposing side to his view hypocrites. I am surprised you'd even ask since I was responding to your post where you state: "I don't think there's any hypocrisy per se going on." I just responded to your post because I agree with what you said there.
    Last edited by Braves1976; 03-29-2015 at 03:57 PM.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    876 Posts
    The. Who are you talking about? He responded to me and I havent mentioned La Stella in months.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    You have used this argument multiple times during the past few months, and it legitimately hurts me because it lacks logic on such a crucial level.

If this were true then Frank Wren would have a job. So would your man Jim Bowden. And countless scouts, cross-checkers, and number-crunchers.

Baseball officials make mistakes.
    Absolutely no question about it.

You can't see the logic? Name one poster on this message board that currently is working or ever has worked in personnel for an MLB organization.

We're all just a bunch of armchair QBs here - some of you just don't want to admit it.
    Last edited by clvclv; 03-29-2015 at 04:11 PM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    The. Who are you talking about? He responded to me and I havent mentioned La Stella in months.
    http://www.chopcountry.com/forums/sh...404#post200404

If you're asking me who I was talking about, see this post and the discussion on the topic at the page as it is what I was alluding to.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    You can't see the logic? Name one poster on this message board that currently is working or ever has worked in personnel for an MLB organization.

We're all just a bunch of armchair QBs here - some of you just don't want to admit it.
    FFS!

I give up.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (03-29-2015)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,986 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves1976 View Post
    No 50 I wasn't talking about you, I was talking about the person accusing the opposing side to his view hypocrites. I am surprised you'd even ask since I was responding to your post where you state: "I don't think there's any hypocrisy per se going on." I just responded to your post because I agree with what you said there.
    NP.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (03-29-2015)

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/20...ZwI/story.html

Nick Cafardo with two interesting bits of information:

- Uggla has an April 1 opt-out of his minor league deal, but his .323 average, two home runs, six RBIs, and 1.042 OPS in 31 at-bats is giving Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo something to think about. Uggla is proving that his stroke is back after offseason treatment to restore his balance after suffering previously undetected concussions. The problem now, is roster space. The Nationals have Yunel Escobar, who can fill in at third or play second while Anthony Rendon is out. Or the Nationals could keep Ian Stewart, who can play third base. The Angels, Braves, Orioles, Cardinals, Blue Jays, Padres, and Rays could justify bringing Uggla aboard.

- Those in the organization insist they will not entertain a deal for Kimbrel. But if it’s the trading deadline and you’re in last place or close to it, a few executives predict a change of (John) Hart. The Braves are really of the mind that 2017 is their relaunch, so why the need for a closer?

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (03-29-2015), Prikichi (03-29-2015), UNCBlue012 (03-29-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    It's gonna be an interesting week on the roster management front.

Once Winkler is inevitably placed on the 60-day DL, we'll have 3 open spots on the 40-man. The way I see it, we have 3 NRI locks to make the 25-man roster, barring trade: Wandy, Stults, and EY Jr. So that takes us with a full roster.

Depending on how the competition shakes out for the two backup OF roles and 3 open bullpen roles, we might need to clear as many as 5 additional roster spots via trade or DFA. It's long past time to start worrying if your Juan Jaime, Ian Thomas, or Elmer Reyes. If we have to clear any more than three spots, we might be delving into guys that have a little trade value.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to dak For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (03-29-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dak View Post
    It's gonna be an interesting week on the roster management front.

Once Winkler is inevitably placed on the 60-day DL, we'll have 3 open spots on the 40-man. The way I see it, we have 3 NRI locks to make the 25-man roster, barring trade: Wandy, Stults, and EY Jr. So that takes us with a full roster.

Depending on how the competition shakes out for the two backup OF roles and 3 open bullpen roles, we might need to clear as many as 5 additional roster spots via trade or DFA. It's long past time to start worrying if your Juan Jaime, Ian Thomas, or Elmer Reyes. If we have to clear any more than three spots, we might be delving into guys that have a little trade value.
    I am not sure why Jaime is still around after all those we've dropped and released already. I agree all three could be DFA'd but I hope Thomas isn't. Further, Thomas is just getting back after missing most of last year due to injury (listen to his interview with Bill Shanks for all the details). But I still expect him to be good again as long as that's behind him this year so I don't want to lose him.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,013 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/20...ZwI/story.html

Nick Cafardo with two interesting bits of information:

- Uggla has an April 1 opt-out of his minor league deal, but his .323 average, two home runs, six RBIs, and 1.042 OPS in 31 at-bats is giving Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo something to think about. Uggla is proving that his stroke is back after offseason treatment to restore his balance after suffering previously undetected concussions. The problem now, is roster space. The Nationals have Yunel Escobar, who can fill in at third or play second while Anthony Rendon is out. Or the Nationals could keep Ian Stewart, who can play third base. The Angels, Braves, Orioles, Cardinals, Blue Jays, Padres, and Rays could justify bringing Uggla aboard.

- Those in the organization insist they will not entertain a deal for Kimbrel. But if it’s the trading deadline and you’re in last place or close to it, a few executives predict a change of (John) Hart. The Braves are really of the mind that 2017 is their relaunch, so why the need for a closer?
    Speaking to the Kimbrel part, we will in fact need a good closer in 2017, if that is our timeline for competing. And if we trade Kimbrel and we don't develop a reliable replacement during that time, won't we just have to spend the same amount of money/prospects to acquire a reliable closer? Seems counter productive to me.

We have the money to keep Kimbrel and I don't think he brings back as much in a trade as people would love to think. Might as well keep him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    Kohn is gone . . . to minor league camp.

@KevinMcAlpin
    #Braves continue to trim roster: RHP Michael Kohn has been reassigned.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,065 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Speaking to the Kimbrel part, we will in fact need a good closer in 2017, if that is our timeline for competing. And if we trade Kimbrel and we don't develop a reliable replacement during that time, won't we just have to spend the same amount of money/prospects to acquire a reliable closer? Seems counter productive to me.

We have the money to keep Kimbrel and I don't think he brings back as much in a trade as people would love to think. Might as well keep him.
    But what are the odds that Kimbrel is still a reliable closer in '17? If he remains dominant this year he'll start approaching real greatest and you have to try and keep him.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post

Relief pitchers are the easiest things to replace

21. The Following User Says Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (03-30-2015)

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,035 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    I can see why people think Miller is going to turn it around and do well. He has good velocity and a decent curve. But, Roger is gonna have to do some serious fixing if Miller is going to have a good year this year. Despite his velocity, Miller does not miss bats. The positive is hes a flyball pitcher in a park that is difficult to hit homers.

FIP is an extremely good predictive measure. So either miller will have to improve his ratios or pray that he can somehow outpitch them.

I do feel somewhat optimistic if Miller has anything, Roger will find it.
    Oh my God. Here's an example of Statheads Gone Wild.

Look, as much as you want to, you cannot always use past results as a predictor of the future. Miller has a great fastball and a spectacular curveball, but didn't have a reliable third pitch first half of last year. As a result, he started getting lit up.

But he's not a finished product. Masterson couldn't get anybody out with the Cards last year, but he did teach Miller his sinker. Second half, Miller was far more efficient and effective.

So I don't give a **** what FIP says, I would bet the farm this guy is going to be money for us.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Relief pitchers are the easiest things to replace
    closers as dominant as kimbrel are far from easy to replace.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,709 Posts
    I don't think we'd get as much for Kimbrel as some are thinking. The only reason to trade him is if Hart needs more cash to work with. Late relief pitcher has to be the deepest position in baseball right now relative to need.
    thank you weso1!

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,282 Posts
    Vizcaino down to minor league camp as well.

EDIT: Actually, DOB just says he was "optioned to Triple-A," whatever the meaningful difference is between those two things right now.
    Last edited by MadduxFanII; 03-30-2015 at 09:18 AM.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    876 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    Oh my God. Here's an example of Statheads Gone Wild.

Look, as much as you want to, you cannot always use past results as a predictor of the future. Miller has a great fastball and a spectacular curveball, but didn't have a reliable third pitch first half of last year. As a result, he started getting lit up.

But he's not a finished product. Masterson couldn't get anybody out with the Cards last year, but he did teach Miller his sinker. Second half, Miller was far more efficient and effective.

So I don't give a **** what FIP says, I would bet the farm this guy is going to be money for us.
    There are certainly some encouraging signs from his second half but partially due to luck.

2nd half he increased his K rate and lowered his walk rate. Unfortunately homers went up despite his new and improved sinker.

FIP first half 4.77; 2nd half 4.20
    xFIP first half 4.81; 2nd half 3.98

For some reason Shelby Miller has become a very polarizing pitcher. Ask Cardinal fans about him; there are still some that hold out hope for him bc of prospect ratings and a high velocity fastball.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe