Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: 5/27/15: GDT - Atlanta Braves @ L.A. Dodgers (Uribe in the 5th spot)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    BR has Maybin at the same WAR he had all last year with Pads.

They also have him as a negative defender........does that make sense to anyone? Is he a bad defender?

I wonder how much his offensive value would dip if he was full time in RF or LF.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    BR has Maybin at the same WAR he had all last year with Pads.

They also have him as a negative defender........does that make sense to anyone? Is he a bad defender?

I wonder how much his offensive value would dip if he was full time in RF or LF.
    I haven't seen a particlary good CF thus far. We could upgrade at that position defensively. I wonder what his defensive value would be in RF since it's a less demanding position. I think as long as Maybin stays healthy he will improve at the plate.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Cool. It's clear this team is a better offense compared to last year right now. But that's mainly unexpected surprises like Maybin, AJ, and KJ at various times. Will that continue? Who knows.
    Right, which happens to every team, every year. Guys always come out of no where and produce.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
    Right, which happens to every team, every year. Guys always come out of no where and produce.
    People just keep on trying to qualify what is being done so far this year. It's amusing.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,544 Posts
    We're doing very well in pinch hitting and hitting with RISP this year. We did very poorly in both last year. That's been a big change. I think it is a perfectly valid exercise to try to look at things from various angles to see what is likely to be sustained and what is not. Sometimes guys sustain a hot streak much longer than expected. For example, CJ's BABIP numbers stayed exceptionally high for all of 2013. Maybe we will continue to do well in certain categories for all of 2015. There are always a few performances each year that are several sigma out into the tail of their probability distribution. In analyzing how a team is likely to do going forward, you don't want to assume that continues.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (05-28-2015), jpx7 (05-28-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    We're doing very well in pinch hitting and hitting with RISP this year. We did very poorly in both last year. That's been a big change. I think it is a perfectly valid exercise to try to look at things from various angles to see what is likely to be sustained and what is not. Sometimes guys sustain a hot streak much longer than expected. For example, CJ's BABIP numbers stayed exceptionally high for all of 2013. Maybe we will continue to do well in certain categories for all of 2015. There are always a few performances each year that are several sigma out into the tail of their probability distribution. In analyzing how a team is likely to do going forward, you don't want to assume that continues.
    No one is assuming it continues. But the stats show we are better this year, and saying, "yeah, BUT...." is more assuming it won't continue, which is also silly. Our approach at the plate has improved our hitting with RISP IMO. We're walking more and K-ing less, both fairly significantly, which is never ever bad. Our approach is undoubtedly better. That will usually lead to better numbers.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,849 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Lol...so just slightly. You can tell some posters are just waiting and HOPING that the offense starts to struggle so they can say "I told you so!".
    While I'm surprised we've done as well as we have, it's been explained 1,000 times why. Pure overachievement from veterans that likely won't continue.

If our goal is to be better than last year's offense - we're not setting the bar too high. Keep in mind last year featured BJ Upton and Dan Uggla - the two worst players in the league, to go along with a horrifying Chris Johnson and Andrelton Simmons.

Replacing them with merely competent hitters has gone a long way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    While I'm surprised we've done as well as we have, it's been explained 1,000 times why. Pure overachievement from veterans that likely won't continue.

If our goal is to be better than last year's offense - we're not setting the bar too high. Keep in mind last year featured BJ Upton and Dan Uggla - the two worst players in the league, to go along with a horrifying Chris Johnson and Andrelton Simmons.

Replacing them with merely competent hitters has gone a long way.
    Also not striking out constantly with RISP.
    That's been nice, too.
    Guys overachieve every. single. year. AJ has crashed down. KJ has been out. Maybin is simply hitting well (which he has done before). Honestly, who else? Our approach at the plate is undoubtedly better. Why do we refuse to acknowledge this?

And no one said the "goal" was to be better than last year. Some are merely pointing out that despite the radical change and the whining and getting rid of our "super stars," our offense is performing better so far.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to yeezus For This Useful Post:

thethe (05-28-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,909 Posts
    That's been nice, too.
    Guys overachieve every. single. year. AJ has crashed down. KJ has been out. Maybin is simply hitting well (which he has done before). Honestly, who else? Our approach at the plate is undoubtedly better. Why do we refuse to acknowledge this?
    I dont get it.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    876 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Maybin alone may end up making the Kimbrell trade a success for us, regardless of what the other prospects we got in return end up doing.
    This cant be. You talked about how terrible Maybin was.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,849 Posts
    That's been nice, too.

And no one said the "goal" was to be better than last year. Some are merely pointing out that despite the radical change and the whining and getting rid of our "super stars," our offense is performing better so far.
    Certainly not striking out with RISP is helping a lot.

AJ has crashed back. KJ is out. And the offense is starting to really struggle.

Why is this hard to acknoowledge?

I do think Maybin's performance is sustainable.

Again - replacing BJ with Maybin and Uggla with Jace helps a lot.

KJ was giving us "Justin-like" production, which I don't think anyone believe will continue (and it hasn't). But I guess I'm a hater for holding that view.

AJ was giving us all-star level production, which I don't think anyone believes will continue (and it hasn't). But I guess I'm a hater for holding that view.

Simmons was giving us top 5 SS production, which I don't think anyone believes will continue (and it hasn't). But I guess I'm a hater for holding that view.

The approach is better, FOR SURE. But we need to hit some homers every now and then and we simply don't have the hitters to do it.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    876 Posts
    So far, the Braves are hitting .249/.315/.364 with 8.3% walk rate and 17.9% k rate. We are 24th in wRC+

Last year, the Braves hit .241/.305/.360 with 7.8% walk rate and 22.6% k rate. We were 26th in wRC+

We are essentially equal to last year....a slight tick ahead. The difference in runs scored is due to cluster luck, which isn't sustainable long term so we can just enjoy it while it last. It's not like players have a super power ability to "turn the lights on" when there are runners in scoring position.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to gilesfan For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-28-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,920 Posts

KJ was giving us "Justin-like" production, which I don't think anyone believe will continue (and it hasn't). But I guess I'm a hater for holding that view.

AJ was giving us all-star level production, which I don't think anyone believes will continue (and it hasn't). But I guess I'm a hater for holding that view.

Simmons was giving us top 5 SS production, which I don't think anyone believes will continue (and it hasn't). But I guess I'm a hater for holding that view.

The approach is better, FOR SURE. But we need to hit some homers every now and then and we simply don't have the hitters to do it.
    Stop being so defensive. Baseball is a funny sport. Relax.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts

Every offense goes up and down. We're not often going to go 10 games without a homer. No team does that often. What was our record in those 10 games? And even with the recent struggles, we're better across the board than last year. Simmons hitting to a ~.700 OPS is extremely sustainable; I'd say it's possible he's due for some more hits. Same with Freeman - he's been struggling of late. He can carry us when he's hot. KJ was not really giving us JUP production, that's some hyperbole. Maybe power-wise, but he's playing PT and always had some decent power.

Our approach is the biggest difference; getting rid of Uggla and BJ coincide with that.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    876 Posts

Not having automatic outs helps for sure.

Right now:

OPS+

AJ 98
    Freeman 126
    Peterson 75
    Simmons 91
    Callaspo 52 (gone)
    Gomes 67
    Maybin 118
    Markakis 114

We have 3 hitters in the lineup that are above league average. I think Maybin can still around that number and Markakis can at least stay close to or above 100. A big bat at 3B or LF would help out tremendously.....we certainly need more power.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    It's not like players have a super power ability to "turn the lights on" when there are runners in scoring position.
    I hate when people say this. We sucked with RISP last year because our approach was terrible. It's better this year, and you can't really deny that. Putting the ball in play with RISP is better than striking out. I <3 strikeouts tho!!!

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    876 Posts
    Alex Wood is a stud. By far our best pitcher, imo. Lock him up.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    876 Posts
    I hate when people say this. We sucked with RISP last year because our approach was terrible. It's better this year, and you can't really deny that. Putting the ball in play with RISP is better than striking out. I <3 strikeouts tho!!!

You hate when people tell the truth?

Putting the ball in play with runners in scoring position does not automatically make you a better hitter with RISP. It ignores double plays, extra base hits, etc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,849 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Stop being so defensive. Baseball is a funny sport. Relax.
    Who's defensive? I'm respectfully making my point.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    You hate when people tell the truth?

Putting the ball in play with runners in scoring position does not automatically make you a better hitter with RISP. It ignores double plays, extra base hits, etc.
    Is what you said a certifiable fact? It's your own personal twist on what's happening, not a fact. No, I don't believe "the lights go on" with RISP. We were terrible with it last year. Our approach this year is, IMO, making the number better. I won't say it's a fact, but it's an opinion with stats to support it.