Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hart: No Heyward, Cespedes, Upton

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    No Heyward, No Cespedes, No Upton, No Bacon, No Hope.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Dalyn For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (08-07-2015)

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    876 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I want no part of Cespedes and Justin Upton has kind of become a question mark in terms of a huge investment (at least to me). With Heyward, you at least would be getting a guy who can do a lot of things with his glove and his legs that provide value even if he doesn't hit (and he does hit).

Curious to see what they do moving forward.

Remember Upton is stuck in the hitters hell in SD. People go there to die. I'm not sure what type of contract I would give him, but he'd be a nice piece for just about any team.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Interesting. I have one question and one concern then.

Question: What, exactly, are we going to spend the money on?

Concern: Overpaying in future assets for current ones if we don't solve holes in the FA market.

I think we're actually in a decent position to have a 3-5 year window to spend some money, even if you overspend a little, since the payroll will presumably be increasing and you will have young, cheap talent ready to step in after that window.

If we don't go after any of these, it's hard to see us bringing back much impact in terms of bats unless we sell quite a bit of the farm.
    This is why I think we might take on a short term bad contract as a means to an end in acquiring a young impactful hitter. Hart has shown he's going to spend every dollar in his budget by trading for Arroyo and then eating all his money this season because he had the budget to do. So he's going to spend that money somewhere.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    The "Justin plays in a hitter's hell" argument doesn't work. He's been productive at home and terrible on the road. His 2.5 month slump isn't because of Petco. He's just the kind of hitter who is very prone to these amazingly unproductive slumps.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to yeezus For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (08-07-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
    The "Justin plays in a hitter's hell" argument doesn't work. He's been productive at home and terrible on the road. His 2.5 month slump isn't because of Petco. He's just the kind of hitter who is very prone to these amazingly unproductive slumps.
    When you adjust to hitting at a place like Petco, it can show on the road more than at home.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,922 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalyn View Post
    When you adjust to hitting at a place like Petco, it can show on the road more than at home.
    What all is involved in adjusting to hitting in a place like Petco? I ask because I have no idea.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    What all is involved in adjusting to hitting in a place like Petco? I ask because I have no idea.
    I don't know. I just make **** up that sounds good.

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dalyn For This Useful Post:

Garmel (08-07-2015), JohnAdcox (08-07-2015), mossy (08-07-2015), Tapate50 (08-07-2015), thethe (08-07-2015), yeezus (08-07-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalyn View Post
    lol, was gonna say "wtf?"..until your following post.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,544 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    Remember Upton is stuck in the hitters hell in SD. People go there to die. I'm not sure what type of contract I would give him, but he'd be a nice piece for just about any team.
    My guess is the Red Sox will sign him to play left and move Hanley to first.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    528 Posts
    So I was reading through the 2013 and 2014 top 30 International Signings, we didn't have anybody on either list. Any reason we didn't target that market?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    So I was reading through the 2013 and 2014 top 30 International Signings, we didn't have anybody on either list. Any reason we didn't target that market?

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dalyn For This Useful Post:

thethe (08-07-2015)

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Interesting. I have one question and one concern then.

Question: What, exactly, are we going to spend the money on?

Concern: Overpaying in future assets for current ones if we don't solve holes in the FA market.

I think we're actually in a decent position to have a 3-5 year window to spend some money, even if you overspend a little, since the payroll will presumably be increasing and you will have young, cheap talent ready to step in after that window.

If we don't go after any of these, it's hard to see us bringing back much impact in terms of bats unless we sell quite a bit of the farm.
    He didn't say that they wouldn't spend money just that they wouldn't spend money on THEM.

I have said for a couple of months now that it is clear, at least to me, that Hart is looking to play on one or more of the TOR starters out there. I think he will trade from the current rotation to bring some bats. I just hope that he doesn't go for bats that are ML ready who are a) old b) not really that good c) expensive in terms of money and/or years.

I would much prefer a trade like the Brewers made where they brought back two near ready OF and some change.

It's clear that the Braves are banking on Olivera filling one hole. He is much more valuable if he plays 2B (assuming he can) but I think the Braves think of him as a 3B. Then, if you assume Simmons at short Jace at 2B, Freeman at 1B and (at least for now) Markakis at RF you have holes in CF, LF and C. CF you might be able to play Mallex Smith if he can lead off but that makes it harder to carry the relatively poor bats at short and 2B (one reason why Olivera at 2B is better). LF has no internal answer and must be acquired. Catcher is the same as LF since it is clear, at least to me, that CB is destined for an Eddie Perez career (if that).

The Ruiz belly flop is really hurting right now. Hopefully it is a nagging injury thing. Maybe he can go to AFL and regain his status as a viable 3B alternative which would allow Olivera to push Jace of 2B and allow the Braves to play Smith in CF which would then allow the Braves to package Maybin with a starter like Miller to try and bring back the answer at LF and/or catcher.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    876 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    There is some thoughts on the psychological affect of hitting half your games at Petco.

Either way, he's performed pretty well considering Petco. .298 BABIP is well below average and his other numbers are around his career averages.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    There is some thoughts on the psychological effect of hitting half your games at Petco.
    Along the same lines of how the HR Derby and adjusting to a knuckleballer can throw you into a slump.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    If we end up with a protected pick I can see us going after Alex Gordon the most. We seem to be focusing on guys who can draw a walk and play above average defense. He seems to fit that mold. No idea what he'll want in FA though. My guess is something like 4/68. The other route and probably the safest best is Zobrist on something like a 3/36

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Chico For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (08-07-2015)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,997 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    If we end up with a protected pick I can see us going after Alex Gordon the most. We seem to be focusing on guys who can draw a walk and play above average defense. He seems to fit that mold. No idea what he'll want in FA though. My guess is something like 4/68. The other route and probably the safest best is Zobrist on something like a 3/36
    I'm guessing something like this will be the approach. I don't know how much tread is left on Zobrist's tires, but he could slot in at four positions (2B, 3B, LF, or RF) depending on what else is acquired or how others perform.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    This is why I think we might take on a short term bad contract as a means to an end in acquiring a young impactful hitter. Hart has shown he's going to spend every dollar in his budget by trading for Arroyo and then eating all his money this season because he had the budget to do. So he's going to spend that money somewhere.
    Maybe something big like:

Maybin to the Indians for Bourn, Swisher, Frasier, Naquin, Mejia

The Indians dump $30M in bad contracts, pick up a short term viable bat in Maybin but give up a couple of excess OF and a project catcher with potential.

Braves get a couple of warm bodies that might rebound and be flippable at the 2016 deadline in Bourn and Swisher. If they do nothing, then you have essentially bought 2 OF and a catching prospect for $30M and the loss of Maybin.

Put Frazier in LF and Naquin in CF and have Mejia working his way through the system. The contracts come off the books after 2016 and the Braves are ready to add another major piece in advance of 2017.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Justin had similar seasons in Arizona. Were they because of Petco, too?
    He's just an inconsistent, strikeout prone hitter. He's often had extended slumps of terrible production. This one is extra long.

Did Petco not bother him in April and May?

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    This still won't calm down the board pipe dreams of "Sign Jason/Sign Justin."

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Knucksie For This Useful Post:

Horsehide Harry (08-07-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,544 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    Our top signings in 2013 were Barrios, Albies and Josephina. In 2014 Yepez got the big bucks.