Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Maybin To The Tigers

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by depley View Post
    I just keep scratching my head trying to figure out what planet the management is on and where the heck they are heading....... we went from having the youngest team in the majors (2014) to now sporting one of the oldest it seems, plus 30 players.. Bourne, Markakis, Swisher, Olivera, Pierzinski, Moylan, Grilli, Garcia, Aybar. Seems like a strange way to rebuild. Sure our rotation is young but really all these old guys are for what means??
    If you're just looking for a young team, have no fear. We're heading there very, very soon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,026 Posts
    So many people vastly overrating Maybin's value... hint, with his contract, there was very little. They did try and trade him at the deadline... no takers.
    Last edited by zbhargrove; 11-21-2015 at 07:15 AM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zbhargrove For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (11-21-2015), clvclv (11-21-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,545 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    So many people vastly overrating Maybin's value... hint, with his contract, there was very little. They did try and trade him at the deadline... no takers.
    Yup. He was being paid almost exactly what his projected production is worth on the FA market. Meaning very little surplus value which is what drives a player's trade value. But I think JC was implying in an interview earlier this week that there were several teams wanting him at the trade deadline and the fact that the club didn't trade him there was some sort of proof that they were not tanking. Well that's a completely different issue and has to be viewed as the sort of clumsy spinning that is rapidly becoming one of JC's trademarks.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 11-21-2015 at 08:21 AM.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (03-20-2016), jpx7 (11-21-2015)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,496 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Yup. He was being paid almost exactly what his projected production is worth on the FA market. Meaning very little surplus value which is what drives a player's trade value. But I think JC was implying in an interview earlier this week that there were several teams wanting him at the trade deadline and the fact that the club didn't trade him there was some sort of proof that they were not tanking. Well that's a completely different issue and has to be viewed as the sort of clumsy spinning that is rapidly becoming one of JC's trademarks.
    Don't criticize me! I'm tired of it!

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bravesfanforlife88 For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (03-20-2016), bravesnumberone (11-21-2015), jpx7 (11-21-2015), nsacpi (11-21-2015), Runnin (11-21-2015)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    My first reaction is kinda meh, but this smells like a precursor trade.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chico For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (11-21-2015), clvclv (11-21-2015), DirkPiggler (11-21-2015)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    What we need are runs.
    Hate to single this statement out, but if people believe that's the case, why were they upset with the Simmons trade?
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Hate to single this statement out, but if people believe that's the case, why were they upset with the Simmons trade?
    Because we didn't get any position players back?

And it's carried over in the Maybin trade as well. More pitchers, more tommy john.
    Forever Fredi

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,496 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Don View Post
    Because we didn't get any position players back?

And it's carried over in the Maybin trade as well. More pitchers, more tommy john.

Welcome to the Braves Way

13. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanforlife88 For This Useful Post:

GovClintonTyree (11-21-2015)

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,038 Posts
    Yeah, the Don is right. Plus Simmons is the exception. If you're going to have some defense-first guys, he's the one.

I would love to hear, when Teheran and Miller go, that they went for almost-ready hitters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,038 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Regarding that particular clumsy spin, it also tells me that he missed an opportunity because Maybin tricked him into thinking he was more than he was. Or, perhaps Young Jedi started believing his own press, that he had uncovered a gem.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,038 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    My first reaction is kinda meh, but this smells like a precursor trade.
    More like a postcursor. Einstein went and got Bourn so he had doubles. Couldn't offload Bourn, so took what he could for Maybin. Which, apparently, was not much.

That Speier, though, I'll bet he has a lot of projectability. Also pitchability.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,038 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    Don't criticize me! I'm tired of it!

Not to overanalyze, but doesn't he look defensive in the pic? Hunched in the corner, where nobody can stab him?

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GovClintonTyree For This Useful Post:

FreemanFan (11-24-2015), jpx7 (11-21-2015), Julio3000 (11-21-2015), Runnin (11-21-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,038 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skillet View Post
    Ahh yep
    Has anyone checked for an umbrella in the left field bleachers?

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,002 Posts
    I kind of chuckle. I don't know if anyone is being inconsistent, but when we obtained Maybin there was no robust "Oh! Look who we just traded for!" When he had a solid first half the chorus from many was "Just wait!" We don't move him at the deadline and while some thought he should have been moved, the return would have likely been very similar to what we received now. I like Maybin's tools, but he just hasn't been able to apply them consistently. I thought Seitzer had solved him, but then he took a nosedive. He's really a highly-paid 4th OF.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

zbhargrove (11-21-2015)

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    I know this was answered already, but I wanted to expand on it a little bit. Aybar doesn't significantly improve the offense. Sure, he's an upgrade on Tron, but likely only a marginal one. He could surprise us, but I think it's unlikely. So we got more pitching prospects. Those prospects give us depth to trade from to acquire offense. That's fine, but until it happens it's purely speculative, so I suspect it's going to be an active topic of conversation.

As for the Maybin trade, I understand it. It makes sense to move his salary, and I understand that we can only expect so much in return. Still, I liked Cam and thought he was a good guy to have around. His positive attitude and hustle seemed like a good thing to have in the dugout and clubhouse.

Personally, it's another tough moment in this stretch for me--guys I like and have developed a rooting interest in getting a ticket out of town: JHey, Tron, Cam, Kelly...and Julio may be next. Tough times.

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

Carp (11-21-2015), clvclv (11-21-2015), jpx7 (11-21-2015)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    To be honest, I've probably been Cam's biggest supporter since before he was traded for AND when everyone wanted to trade him. The main thing the trade signals (to me) is that the brass seems to be pretty confident that Mallex is going to be capable of producing at (at least) the same level as Maybin or Bourn at a pretty early point this season. I'd buy (and several times made) the argument that Cam's highest value was to us - he:

1.) is better than Bourn for the "win now" crowd
    2.) saved the team money in the long run with nothing other than his presence by keeping Bourn's option from vesting
    3.) had the "perfect" contract - as nsacpi points out, he was making about what he's worth - and that contract wouldn't get in the way of promoting Smith at any point. You were going to be able to get SOMETHING for him when you decided it was Mallex' time, even if it wasn't something "great" (which certainly seems to be the case here) or you decided to allocate his money elsewhere.

There were a whole lot of people (here in particular) who loved to point out that Cameron wasn't much of a player - many hated his defense (and it wasn't as good as it had been in the past), and consistently pointed out that he wasn't "the answer" with his 0.6 WAR. His bat showed more signs of improvement than Andrelton's, even if that wasn't enough to make him a consistent threat to help the offense much. He's a high-energy, sometimes exciting player who gives his all every day and absolutely loved being here.

In the end, he is what he is. Without being in the middle of a hot streak and with other free-agent options available to everyone else, we probably got about what you'd hope to get for him - a couple of lottery tickets. You save some money that you CAN spend elsewhere. It remains to be seen where that money will be spent. The Tigers traded for one year of the right-handed half of a platoon at slightly below market value. If the trade were reversed and we gave up two under-25 LHPs for that, many people here would be just as upset.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

25. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

BoneThrower (11-21-2015)

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Wait, there's a "win now" crowd?

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (11-21-2015), Hawk (11-21-2015), jpx7 (11-21-2015)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    I know this was answered already, but I wanted to expand on it a little bit. Aybar doesn't significantly improve the offense. Sure, he's an upgrade on Tron, but likely only a marginal one. He could surprise us, but I think it's unlikely. So we got more pitching prospects. Those prospects give us depth to trade from to acquire offense. That's fine, but until it happens it's purely speculative, so I suspect it's going to be an active topic of conversation.

As for the Maybin trade, I understand it. It makes sense to move his salary, and I understand that we can only expect so much in return. Still, I liked Cam and thought he was a good guy to have around. His positive attitude and hustle seemed like a good thing to have in the dugout and clubhouse.

Personally, it's another tough moment in this stretch for me--guys I like and have developed a rooting interest in getting a ticket out of town: JHey, Tron, Cam, Kelly...and Julio may be next. Tough times.
    Exactly my take on it. I loved having him here - local kid (his Uncle's an acquaintance of mine) who's a really good guy. I still have his Tigers jersey hanging in my mancave (haven't gotten his Braves jersey yet, but still plan to order one to hang beside it). Really hate seeing him go from a personal standpoint, but I get it. I just hope it works out.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-21-2015), Julio3000 (11-21-2015)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    I'm fine with the trade. He's not that good and we will suck nxt yr

I do not get the surplus of comments. Bourn and swisher are not players. They are Chris Johnson's salary moved to this yr so it will be gone in magical 17. The can't play bc they suck and bc of their vesting clauses. If u had a surplus of problem just cut them.

Plus the other of bat is bc they gave away a stud pitcher under control and a good prospect for an ok over 40 bat without a position

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    The only way I see this cost savings helping us is if we take on someone else's Melvin upton contract in exchange for a b prospect or better bat