Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Trade Speculation

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    We'd have to have a window to negotiate before I'd trade for him.
    If we had that and got something done, then that would be a different story of course. But still depends on cost in trade vs cost in signing Cervelli or Ramos. Having those two and a few others on the market make this a better catching market in my view. Which makes me more likely to get my catcher via free agency.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Braves1976 For This Useful Post:

Hudson2 (05-10-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,132 Posts
    I agree about Cervelli. It all just depends on the QO bc the Braves love draft picks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    I agree about Cervelli. It all just depends on the QO bc the Braves love draft picks.
    I wouldn't let that stop me from signing him, our first round pick will be protected anyway and if he has a QO that will take away some competition and cost too. So all things considered I'd still try to sign him.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Braves1976 For This Useful Post:

Garmel (05-10-2016)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,512 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves1976 View Post
    I wouldn't let that stop me from signing him, our first round pick will be protected anyway and if he has a QO that will take away some competition and cost too. So all things considered I'd still try to sign him.
    I'm a big Cervelli fan, but assuming we have the top pick in next year's draft, we'd be forfeiting a pick in the late 30s to sign a catcher on the wrong side of 30. I have no interest in doing that, and I hope our front office doesn't either.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CJ9 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-11-2016), Tapate50 (05-10-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    I'm a big Cervelli fan, but assuming we have the top pick in next year's draft, we'd be forfeiting a pick in the late 30s to sign a catcher on the wrong side of 30. I have no interest in doing that, and I hope our front office doesn't either.
    Well, either you're not as big a Cervelli fan as I am or you value that late 30s pick a lot more than I do. I'll add that it could be we're trying to find deals for picks in part where we still have another if we sign a free agent with a QO.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,148 Posts
    We'd have to have a window to negotiate before I'd trade for him.
    Please find me an instance when that has ever happened in the history of MLB.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,025 Posts
    Lucroy is overrated.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,132 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    So your saying a team has never given permission to negotiate an extension during trade talks? You might wanna go to google before you are proven wrong. Hint:Adrian Gonzalez. The extension window close but it was there. It has been with other players before too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,132 Posts
    http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/A...ossible-120310

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/d...-morosi-072515

There's 2 just in case you're lazy. Tigers were willing to grant a 48 hour window and the Red Sox did.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,148 Posts
    So it almost happened with AGon and it was talked about possibly happening with Price. If that's the extent of how often it has not happened I think my point is pretty well made.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,132 Posts
    No it's not. It happens. You're just a glass half empty type of person and will find fault with anything

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Hudson2 For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (05-11-2016)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,021 Posts
    Johan Santana for one. I'm sure there are others.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

Hudson2 (05-11-2016)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,996 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Johan Santana for one. I'm sure there are others.
    When ARod was traded from Texas to the Yankees, there was also a negotiating window to make the dollars work.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

Hudson2 (05-11-2016)

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    I like Benintendi so much that I would eat Sandoval's contract. No, I mean literally eat his contract.

21. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rico43 For This Useful Post:

Hudson2 (05-11-2016), jpx7 (05-11-2016), Tapate50 (05-11-2016), UNCBlue012 (05-11-2016), yeezus (05-11-2016)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,148 Posts
    ARod and Johan Santana. Got it. Premiere superstars are the same thing as a Lucroy trade.

Seriously guys, there isn't going to be some negotiating window with Lucroy to facilitate a trade, so why argue that it's even a reasonable possibility? Pointing at exceptional cases and a couple "almosts" proves the point rather than disproves it.

Yet again, posters here are fixating on scenarios with near 0% chance of happening...like signing Price or Strasburg. It's like a script:

Irrational Poster: "The Braves should sign/trade for Mr. Awesome!"
    Rational Poster: "I don't think the Braves would do it for reason 1 and reason 2 based on everything the Braves have ever done in the history of the franchise."
    Irrational Poster: "But here are 2 examples and/or even more outlandish scenarios that don't really fit the Braves way of operating or are even really comparable to my original suggestion."
    Rational Poster: "Those scenarios are completely unrealistic and don't really apply here."
    Irrational Poster: "You're just a glass is half empty kind of guy."

Like clockwork...
    Last edited by Enscheff; 05-11-2016 at 11:02 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,132 Posts
    We gave you examples and you piss on em bc they dis prove your argument. Just move on from it bc it's not impossible for it to happen.

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Ensheff-- All Hudson 2 was saying was that he would want an extension window granted before trading for him. Doesn't seem like he would trade for Lucroy without it. (Unless he came cheap of course)

Is it rare? Absolutely. But, if the Brewers want premium value for a player who only has one year left, then I wouldn't pay the premium value either. Now, if they grant an extension window and we can extend him for 5 years, then it is a different story. Because the value of a player with 5 years left is infinitely greater than a player with 1 year left.

But, to say that an extension window has never happened before is simply not true. It is rare. But, it does happen. I am not sure how that makes anyone "irrational".

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DontStopTheChop For This Useful Post:

Hawk (05-11-2016), Hudson2 (05-11-2016), mfree80 (05-11-2016)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,021 Posts
    ARod and Johan Santana. Got it. Premiere superstars are the same thing as a Lucroy trade.

Seriously guys, there isn't going to be some negotiating window with Lucroy to facilitate a trade, so why argue that it's even a reasonable possibility? Pointing at exceptional cases and a couple "almosts" proves the point rather than disproves it.

Yet again, posters here are fixating on scenarios with near 0% chance of happening...like signing Price or Strasburg. It's like a script:

Irrational Poster: "The Braves should sign/trade for Mr. Awesome!"
    Rational Poster: "I don't think the Braves would do it for reason 1 and reason 2 based on everything the Braves have ever done in the history of the franchise."
    Irrational Poster: "But here are 2 examples and/or even more outlandish scenarios that don't really fit the Braves way of operating or are even really comparable to my original suggestion."
    Rational Poster: "Those scenarios are completely unrealistic and don't really apply here."
    Irrational Poster: "You're just a glass is half empty kind of guy."

Like clockwork...
    Then why are you posting here?

You made a snide remark when quoting Hudson just be an ass. Don't get pissy when someone calls you out for being wrong

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

Hudson2 (05-11-2016)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,148 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Then why are you posting here?

You made a snide remark when quoting Hudson just be an ass. Don't get pissy when someone calls you out for being wrong
    The point is folks ignorantly throwing out ideas that have zero chance of happening, especially with the Braves organization. Things like hometown discounts because the guy was a Braves fan growing up, opt outs, no trade clauses, contacts over $150M, pre-trade extension windows. All things the Braves have never and probably will never be a part of, yet posters still insist on making incompetent suggestions involving those exact scenarios.

Yes, negotiating windows have obviously been done before with extreme superstars. Lucroy is not a mega star, and the Braves have never been a part of something like that. I'll always call someone out for a dumb idea, and even suggesting the Braves will get a negotiating window with Lucroy is a dumb idea.

But hey, it's cool. Dumb ideas are floated around here all the time. I suppose I should do a better job of simply ignoring them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,132 Posts
    The point is folks ignorantly throwing out ideas that have zero chance of happening, especially with the Braves organization. Things like hometown discounts because the guy was a Braves fan growing up, opt outs, no trade clauses, contacts over $150M, pre-trade extension windows. All things the Braves have never and probably will never be a part of, yet posters still insist on making incompetent suggestions involving those exact scenarios.

Yes, negotiating windows have obviously been done before with extreme superstars. Lucroy is not a mega star, and the Braves have never been a part of something like that. I'll always call someone out for a dumb idea, and even suggesting the Braves will get a negotiating window with Lucroy is a dumb idea.

But hey, it's cool. Dumb ideas are floated around here all the time. I suppose I should do a better job of simply ignoring them.
    You're such a tool. If something isn't impossible then it's not stupid. If the Braves want him and the Brewers want to get something back then I don't see the issue. Have the Braves done it before? No, but could they? Absolutely.