Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Chacin About to be Traded to Angels

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,869 Posts
    Chacin is a talented pitcher...

He put up three 2 WAR seasons with the Rockies (in that crazy park)... one of those seasons was a 3.9 WAR.

Obviously he was hurt the last two years but was pitching pretty well for us despite one horrid start which inflated his numbers. I think it was short sighted to deal him so early.

Grilli - I'm fine with that deal as that seemed like a homage deal to put him on a contender... he was going to be released.

Keeping Chacin could have given us good innings and helped not start the clock on some of these young pitchers we're bringing up

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (06-06-2016), JohnAdcox (06-07-2016)

Still Playing the Waiting Game bravos4evr's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    135 Posts
    Chacin presently sports a 4.50 ERA, a 4.02 FIP, a 14.3 HR/FB% and a projected 0.8 WAR finish by both Steamer and ZIPS. This is not a guy with much trade value, especially when he hasn't thrown more than 60 innings since 2013.

There just isn't much there to expect some return of merit had they waited and too much to be concerned about getting no return at all.
    "I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"- Tom Waits

4. The Following User Says Thank You to bravos4evr For This Useful Post:

yeezus (06-06-2016)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,401 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravos4evr View Post
    our terrible offense would not have allowed him to pitch two complete games. Our terrible defense would not have allowed him to post a 3.10 ERA. On the Braves, the only place for his value to go was down as it would have been doubtful he would maintain or improve his numbers on this bad hitting, bad fielding team.
    lets no bring the Braves team into this hypothetical debate... depressing me man!!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,333 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Chacin is a talented pitcher...

He put up three 2 WAR seasons with the Rockies (in that crazy park)... one of those seasons was a 3.9 WAR.

Obviously he was hurt the last two years but was pitching pretty well for us despite one horrid start which inflated his numbers. I think it was short sighted to deal him so early.

Grilli - I'm fine with that deal as that seemed like a homage deal to put him on a contender... he was going to be released.

Keeping Chacin could have given us good innings and helped not start the clock on some of these young pitchers we're bringing up
    I also wouldn't put it past two front offices (with a history of trading with one another and I think Eppler and Coppy go back to NY together) just saying "I'll throw you a bone now and one day when I am in your position, you do the same." It's impossible to explain these things without context.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chop2chip For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-06-2016), yeezus (06-06-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    lets no bring the Braves team into this hypothetical debate... depressing me man!!
    well, it's sad because it's true. I bet he would have been released by the team by the deadline as his ERA would have been atrocious

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Ignoring the fact that the FO wanted to see what some of these guys have in the minors. You can't start every prospects clock at the same time. They felt some minor league guys were ready, wanted to give them a shot, and Chacin was blocking. you weren't getting much more for him even if he continued his play, and you wouldn't want to take him out of the rotation because then his value is zilch. so they dealt him for a guy they might see something in. it's not that difficult, and we lost very little and probably gained very little. it's like barely worth discussing but i know you gotta whine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    I also wouldn't put it past two front offices (with a history of trading with one another and I think Eppler and Coppy go back to NY together) just saying "I'll throw you a bone now and one day when I am in your position, you do the same." It's impossible to explain these things without context.
    also very true. who knows what goes on behind the scenes?

besides sturg of course. he def knows.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to yeezus For This Useful Post:

bravos4evr (06-06-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,869 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
    also very true. who knows what goes on behind the scenes?

besides sturg of course. he def knows.
    Well in that case let's never disagree with anything the front office does. WHO KNOWS WHAT GOES ON BEHIND THE SCENES?

We were probably throwing the LAD a bone with the Olivera deal... hopefully they get us back in a few years

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (06-06-2016), jpx7 (06-06-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    135 Posts
    How can you make the logical leap from "The Chacin trade was about as good as we could expect" to "I support every single trade done by the front office and will defend them to the death?"

I already got in a tiff about trading Heyward and everyone, pretty much, was unhappy with the Olivera trade and signing Markakis. These deals happen,some good some bad, and of all the one's to get upset about, the Chacin one seems to be kinda silly. He was never going to bring back a prospect.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to bravos4evr For This Useful Post:

DirkPiggler (06-07-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,869 Posts
    How can you make the logical leap from "The Chacin trade was about as good as we could expect" to "I support every single trade done by the front office and will defend them to the death?"

I already got in a tiff about trading Heyward and everyone, pretty much, was unhappy with the Olivera trade and signing Markakis. These deals happen,some good some bad, and of all the one's to get upset about, the Chacin one seems to be kinda silly. He was never going to bring back a prospect.
    I'm really not upset about the Chacin deal... I just think it was short sighted to deal... certainly not a franchise altering move.

But in case you're new, if you ever disagree with the Braves FO then the usual suspects will come with their pitchforks to their defense

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    135 Posts
    I will defend them if they deserve it, and give em **** if they deserve it. I would like to think rational people can see that there doesn't have to be 'homer" or "hater" as the only two options.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,869 Posts
    I will defend them if they deserve it, and give em **** if they deserve it. I would like to think rational people can see that there doesn't have to be 'homer" or "hater" as the only two options.
    I'm not referring to you.

I'm cool with not minding the move... but not sure why it's a big deal if someone think we were too short sighted on it.

I guess then we're just "whining" though and "we don't know what goes on behind the scenes" and "the front office knows more than us" and yada yada yada

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,333 Posts
    Well in that case let's never disagree with anything the front office does. WHO KNOWS WHAT GOES ON BEHIND THE SCENES?

We were probably throwing the LAD a bone with the Olivera deal... hopefully they get us back in a few years
    Whoa now... who said about not disagreeing? We can agree and disagree with anything we want, but I'll never pretend to think I can do anybody's job better without knowing all the facts.

I don't think GM's should be judged by any individual deal (certainly not minor ones like this). The evaluation should consider the philosophy and the execution of that philosophy. To that end, the John's have been okay (IMO, the philosophy has been great, but the execution has been a mixed bag).

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,481 Posts
    I don't see much of a difference here...

Chacin is on pace for over 2 WAR this year
    OMG 2 WAR!. Chacin is an average pitcher who gets hurt a lot. He could go down for the season at any given time. Hard to hate this trade, we picked up a guy and flipped him for a project who could work out. If it doesn't we potentially lose out on gain that we don't know if we could have had. Or he could have gotten hrut and we'd have nothing.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,333 Posts
    I guess then we're just "whining" though and "we don't know what goes on behind the scenes" and "the front office knows more than us" and yada yada yada
    For me, being objective and an impartial critic just isn't as fun as thinking that your team knows something that the other 29 don't.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,333 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    OMG 2 WAR!. Chacin is an average pitcher who gets hurt a lot. He could go down for the season at any given time. Hard to hate this trade, we picked up a guy and flipped him for a project who could work out. If it doesn't we potentially lose out on gain that we don't know if we could have had. Or he could have gotten hrut and we'd have nothing.
    Something else to keep in mind - Chacin was replaced in the rotation by Williams.

Perez: 0.7 bWAR
    Chacin: 0.5 bWAR

Now sure, you could make an argument that Chacin could have been kept for depth in the event somebody struggled or injury (very valid argument). But I would much prefer that our young unheralded pitchers (Gant, Perez, Jenkins, Ellis, etc.) get a chance in a lost year over veteran retread because you never know when someone will come out of nowhere and establish themselves.

I wish we would be more consistent with that approach with our lineup, but choosing Perez over Chacin was a good start

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    135 Posts
    To be honest Im hoping Perez can have a great June so we can send him out of town for value as I don't have much confidence in him long term with his contact rates, low K and high BB rates.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Jhoulys Chacin wasn't going to have much value either way. May as well trade him for a piece we like if we can get it. Pretty much all there is to it. Either way the deal is pretty inconsequential.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    877 Posts
    This might be the low point for this board. Arguing over trading a replacement level pitcher for a prospect.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gilesfan For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (06-07-2016), chop2chip (06-07-2016), clvclv (06-16-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,869 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    This might be the low point for this board. Arguing over trading a replacement level pitcher for a prospect.
    More fun than discussing the product on the field