Page 33 of 48 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast

Thread: International News, Rumor and Signing Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,022 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravos4evr View Post
    sure, but 25 WAR for his first 6 years is damn good.If Maitan delivered that I'd be very happy
    Hoping Maitan will be more balanced. Little less power, higher average and more speed. Better D... Sounds like that's a real possibility if he can reach his ceiling

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,021 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    What about the 3.5 ERA he had with the Braves last year in 120 innings? I guess only his time with the Dodgers matters? No chance he improves? Oh wait he has a 3.5 ERA outside of his first start this year? Just horrible numbers. Certainly #4 worthy.
    Not that I think he's a 4th starter, but a 3.5 ERA in that park isn't all that great. And there was chatter earlier in ST that Wood was competing for a rotation spot.

I think he's better than a #4 starter, but I think durability will always be an issue with him.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,993 Posts
    I have high hopes for Maitan, but the international market is dicier than the stateside element of player acquisition. I always have Jackson Melian flashbacks whenever top drawer international prospects are discussed.

As per the Sano comparison, Sano obviously wasn't fully developed physically as a 16-year-old because he goes 260 now. The thing with Sano is that he can really hit and hit for power. He has a lot of swing-and-miss in his game, but he hurts the ball when he connects. He needs to lose about 20 or so to find a defensive position and stay healthy. If the Twins could dump Mauer, Sano would play 1B because that's his likely position down the road.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    854 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Not that I think he's a 4th starter, but a 3.5 ERA in that park isn't all that great. And there was chatter earlier in ST that Wood was competing for a rotation spot.

I think he's better than a #4 starter, but I think durability will always be an issue with him.
    Only 30 qualified pitchers last year finished with an ERA of 3.5 or lower. I think you can make a decent argument that Wood was an injury risk going forward, but I don't think you're going to get very far claiming his ERA wasn't very good.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mqt For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-21-2016)

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mqt View Post
    Only 30 qualified pitchers last year finished with an ERA of 3.5 or lower. I think you can make a decent argument that Wood was an injury risk going forward, but I don't think you're going to get very far claiming his ERA wasn't very good.
    If you stipulate qualified starters only you're limiting your sample size so much that 30 pitchers is actually pretty substantial. A 3.5 ERA would've put him at #33 out of 77 qualified pitchers last year, which isn't bad but is firmly middle of the road. Add to that the injury risk and declining IP/GS and you have a solid 3/4 starter.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,879 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post

He is an injury risk. As is any pitcher, especially those that already have had TJS. I just think the notion that he's some subpar pitcher when is healthy is absurd. He has good stuff and was dominating before he went got injured. Why it's hard for some to see that is beyond me.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-21-2016)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,879 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rawwr View Post
    If you stipulate qualified starters only you're limiting your sample size so much that 30 pitchers is actually pretty substantial. A 3.5 ERA would've put him at #33 out of 77 qualified pitchers last year, which isn't bad but is firmly middle of the road. Add to that the injury risk and declining IP/GS and you have a solid 3/4 starter.
    You do realize that 4th and 5th starters don't qualify because they aren't good enough to pitch enough innings to qualify, right? The fact that he does says more than you think.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-21-2016)

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts
    You do realize that 4th and 5th starters don't qualify because they aren't good enough to pitch enough innings to qualify, right? The fact that he does says more than you think.

And his IP/GS has fallen each of the past 3 years, so he may or may not pitch enough innings to qualify going forward.

I don't disagree that we could've gotten more for him at the time he was traded or that the trade has turned out very poorly, but I really don't see how you can put him higher than a #3. When he is on the field you get good-but-not-great pitching, but he has displayed increasing difficulty with going deep into games, and is an injury risk on top of that.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,879 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rawwr View Post

And his IP/GS has fallen each of the past 3 years, so he may or may not pitch enough innings to qualify going forward.

I don't disagree that we could've gotten more for him at the time he was traded or that the trade has turned out very poorly, but I really don't see how you can put him higher than a #3. When he is on the field you get good-but-not-great pitching, but he has displayed increasing difficulty with going deep into games, and is an injury risk on top of that.
    Who is putting him higher than #3? He has #2 talent with the inability to go deep into games. What I'm arguing against is for those calling him a #4 starter. A #4 starter is what Matt Wisler is putting up this year.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,395 Posts
    Who is putting him higher than #3? He has #2 talent with the inability to go deep into games. What I'm arguing against is for those calling him a #4 starter. A #4 starter is what Matt Wisler is putting up this year.
    LOL nice... cast it out there and see if you get some bites..

but you are right by the numbers..you throw out his time pitching to AJ and he is a #3. I think by end of year he will finish with a 3.5ish ERA and be a good #3..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    232 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    LOL nice... cast it out there and see if you get some bites..

but you are right by the numbers..you throw out his time pitching to AJ and he is a #3. I think by end of year he will finish with a 3.5ish ERA and be a good #3..
    He's a young pitcher with good stuff. I think he can be a 2-3 at his best.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,324 Posts
    There's never been a less interesting debate than whether a pitcher is a number 3 or number 4. Honestly, I don't even think there's a difference to be honest.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    There's never been a less interesting debate than whether a pitcher is a number 3 or number 4. Honestly, I don't even think there's a difference to be honest.
    I agree there isn't a huge difference, and Wisler and Wood haven't been all that different this year. In fact, Wisler goes deeper into games. But if one is a 3 and one is a 4, then there isn't much difference between the two.

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Why is there conversations pages and pages of what spot in another teams rotation Alex Wood is?

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to IowaBrave14 For This Useful Post:

CJ9 (06-21-2016), KB21 (06-21-2016), Preacher (06-21-2016), tomahawkchop (06-21-2016)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,879 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
    I agree there isn't a huge difference, and Wisler and Wood haven't been all that different this year. In fact, Wisler goes deeper into games. But if one is a 3 and one is a 4, then there isn't much difference between the two.
    I would say there is quite a huge difference between Wood's 3.24 FIP and Wislers 4.61 FIP. Don't get caught up in ERA. Wisler has an advantage of 70 points in BABIP against that is helping close the gap significantly. Wood has been substantially better and it's not really close.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    I would say there is quite a huge difference between Wood's 3.24 FIP and Wislers 4.61 FIP. Don't get caught up in ERA. Wisler has an advantage of 70 points in BABIP against that is helping close the gap significantly. Wood has been substantially better and it's not really close.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Preacher For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (06-21-2016)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,879 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    Get back to me when we start signing international players

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,021 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mqt View Post
    A 3.5 ERA in a pitcher's park is not that great. It isn't bad either, but more than likely he'd have an ERA closer to 3.75 or higher if he pitched in a more hitter friendly park.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    FIP is great and all but actual production is what actually counts and has to be factored in. Wisler is allowing less base runners. I won't get caught up in the joke that fWAR for pitchers apparently is (the one that has Julio a whopping .2 wins better than Alex Wood - which is rather ridiculous). Wisler is able to get deeper into games on average as well, which is something that also matters to me. I'm sure if Wood were working into the 7th on the reg he'd have higher ERA and FIP than he currently does, but routinely getting yanked before the 7th has likely helped him.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Get back to me when we start signing international players
    Really? We started a draft thread a year before the draft, when did this thread start?