Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    876 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KB21 View Post
    Man I wish the internet was around back when Atlanta was digging themselves out of the late '80s hole they were in back in 1991. I would imagine that there would have been several comments about how their young pitching had not lived up to the hype and how the team did not have a chance to compete.
    As opposed to when the internet was around and called Davies/Horam/Lerew/Reyes future studs? I mean, it goes both ways.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Yeah there will be a big feeding frenzy at the winter meetings...I've always thought that's when he would move. There are way more teams in play and maybe even LESS options by then. I do think it's a major fail by the FO if we don't move him this year. 2018-2019 we should have a log jam off quality pitching...we shouldn't "need" him. Near the end of his contract and with no garuntee he will have a good year, will be heathy and/or the market is anything remotely like it is now. This is the year to move him...period.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    232 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    Yeah there will be a big feeding frenzy at the winter meetings...I've always thought that's when he would move. There are way more teams in play and maybe even LESS options by then. I do think it's a major fail by the FO if we don't move him this year. 2018-2019 we should have a log jam off quality pitching...we shouldn't "need" him. Near the end of his contract and with no garuntee he will have a good year, will be heathy and/or the market is anything remotely like it is now. This is the year to move him...period.
    I guess we should just trade everyone, since there is no guarantee that any player will have a good year. I mean, it is such a damn travesty that we aren't trading Julio, because he might actually become a bad pitcher at some point. Heaven forbid we actually keep a top flight 25 year old starting pitcher who is under a good contract. I'm sure there is some damn analytic out there that suggests he will decline at some point that some of you have your heads wrapped around, but it is a damn shame that you can't see talent when it is right in front of you.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to KB21 For This Useful Post:

Heyward (07-31-2016)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    491 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KB21 View Post
    I guess we should just trade everyone, since there is no guarantee that any player will have a good year. I mean, it is such a damn travesty that we aren't trading Julio, because he might actually become a bad pitcher at some point. Heaven forbid we actually keep a top flight 25 year old starting pitcher who is under a good contract. I'm sure there is some damn analytic out there that suggests he will decline at some point that some of you have your heads wrapped around, but it is a damn shame that you can't see talent when it is right in front of you.
    Ha: If we trade everybody just as they get to peak value, we might be able to keep this rebuild alive for a generation.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,987 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mfree80 View Post
    Ha: If we trade everybody just as they get to peak value, we might be able to keep this rebuild alive for a generation.
    Seemingly, that's Billy Beane's recent SOP.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

KB21 (07-31-2016)

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,834 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    What evidence has there been that he does? Keeping Teheran could easily be about competing in 2018-2020, or it could easily be about waiting to try to get a better deal later. Yet once again, our fans assume the worst without evidence to support it.
    Well... he has said that he wants to keep Teheran so that we have a good pitcher to start opening day... which is a laughable reason to make a decision.

He just traded for an aging, declining, large contract player - presumable to help us win more games. Now we are stuck with two bad bad contracts in our corner OF spots...

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mfree80 View Post
    I see several teams giving up "nice" returns for pitchers who are not as good as JT.

For a little more they could have the better pitcher. Will it backfire on any of them? (Wade Miley)
    I'm VERY afraid they "have" called and been told he's not available...which makes me want to throw up. This has been reported by a few GMs.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    I'm VERY afraid they "have" called and been told he's not available...which makes me want to throw up. This has been reported by a few GMs.
    Prove it.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    So if no one is willing to offer the farm for him or a pretty big haul for him, he should be traded for whatever offer?

Please. Keeping him isnt the end of the world if no one will give Coppy what he wants.

Building around a 25 year old SP on a team friendly contract what a horrible situation.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Well... he has said that he wants to keep Teheran so that we have a good pitcher to start opening day... which is a laughable reason to make a decision.

He just traded for an aging, declining, large contract player - presumable to help us win more games. Now we are stuck with two bad bad contracts in our corner OF spots...
    Has Coppy generally struck you as a dumb guy? Because assuming that he hasn't, you should probably assume 'so we have a good Opening Day starter' is not the real reason if we don't trade Teheran.

I don't love the Kemp deal, but I get it. We've said we needed pop, and we got pop. Coppy clearly doesn't buy into the value that advanced metrics place on defense, so he likely believes Kemp to be more valuable than others do.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to smootness For This Useful Post:

mfree80 (07-31-2016)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    I can't find the link, but it was reported that two different GM's called about T-ran and was told he was not available. Heck, Coppy went out of his way again today and made yet another public statement that he wasn't being traded. No one hopes this is a front more than me, but after saying it so many times....I sure hope I wrong about this.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    1. Coppy is sharp, but I think the decision is coming from higher up because of the ballpark PR.

2. Of course we keep him unless we get a haul, but that seems easily attainable given the trades so far. If he was put "out there", it would happen no problem.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    1. Coppy is sharp, but I think the decision is coming from higher up because of the ballpark PR.

2. Of course we keep him unless we get a haul, but that seems easily attainable given the trades so far. If he was put "out there", it would happen no problem.
    Boston isnt trading Benedinti or Moncada for him.

LA wont trade Seager.

Texas has been in on Sale.

Cubs havent been in on Julio or any SP's much.

So your point is wrong.

Whose to say no one gave the offers for him. But its because Coppy wont trade him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,834 Posts
    Has Coppy generally struck you as a dumb guy? Because assuming that he hasn't, you should probably assume 'so we have a good Opening Day starter' is not the real reason if we don't trade Teheran.

I don't love the Kemp deal, but I get it. We've said we needed pop, and we got pop. Coppy clearly doesn't buy into the value that advanced metrics place on defense, so he likely believes Kemp to be more valuable than others do.
    Coppy has struck me as a prideful guy. I think he wants to win... and assumed we'd be closer than we are (his offseason comments showed he lacked objective talent evaluation).

It's only natural for him to want to speed up the process... but it doesn't mean it's a smart move

18. The Following User Says Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (07-31-2016)

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    I can't find the link.
    Probably because there are no link

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    I can't find the link, but it was reported that two different GM's called about T-ran and was told he was not available. Heck, Coppy went out of his way again today and made yet another public statement that he wasn't being traded. No one hopes this is a front more than me, but after saying it so many times....I sure hope I wrong about this.
    http://www.talkingchop.com/2016/7/18...-julio-teheran

There's a link with a quote from another GM saying that Coppy's talk on Teheran was lip service and that he could get him if he wanted him badly enough. Even if someone is claiming he was told Teheran isn't available, that could have come at any point in the conversation. Perhaps he wasn't available at the price the GM was offering.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    232 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Seemingly, that's Billy Beane's recent SOP.
    Billy Beane -- No one has ever gotten so much praise for doing so little.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    You're right, i'm just making it for my own amusement...geez. Do you know how many Twitter , etc feeds I've read in the past few days?? It was yesterday and I "think" it was a tweet.
    Last edited by TheBravos; 07-31-2016 at 07:20 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Coppy has struck me as a prideful guy. I think he wants to win... and assumed we'd be closer than we are (his offseason comments showed he lacked objective talent evaluation).

It's only natural for him to want to speed up the process... but it doesn't mean it's a smart move
    Again, you're assuming his public comments are his true beliefs. Coppy is clearly a bright guy. There's no way he believed this team could be decent. It obviously wasn't.

He may have struck you as prideful, but he's also made a lot of moves clearly designed for long-term rewards at the expense of short-term losses. I don't see any evidence that he's trying to speed up the process. We were always likely to add money via trades because we're going to have a crap ton of payroll space and won't spend it all in FA.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,834 Posts
    Again, you're assuming his public comments are his true beliefs. Coppy is clearly a bright guy. There's no way he believed this team could be decent. It obviously wasn't.

He may have struck you as prideful, but he's also made a lot of moves clearly designed for long-term rewards at the expense of short-term losses. I don't see any evidence that he's trying to speed up the process. We were always likely to add money via trades because we're going to have a crap ton of payroll space and won't spend it all in FA.
    I think the deal to include BJ Upton for Kimbrel, the Olivera deal, getting Aybar back instead of another prospect, and trading for Kemp are all short sighted moves.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (07-31-2016)