Page 23 of 95 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373 ... LastLast

Thread: Political Correctness

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    “Marriage is a conjugal union on every level — emotional, spiritual, physical and mental — directed toward caring for biological children,” Irvine wrote. “To us, marriage is much more than commitment of love between two consenting adults.”

Hehe. Just biological children, huh?
    That is the quote. Do you consider that hate speech?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Thinkpiece Bot ��‏ @thinkpiecebot 3h3 hours ago

As A White Dude, I Really Think We Should Focus On the National Debt Instead Of The Global Rise Of White Supremacy
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    Them black folk getting uppity again? You would think they would have a more favorable opinion of white people from the hundreds of years of slavery that still has not ended.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    prisonplanet
    Agreed, prison planet is a laughable source. I prefer to look directly at the professor's own words.

But to be fair, we should provide context of the remarks he was supporting:

But I'm sure that was a one-off. I mean, we have all had a bad day, right?

Or, well, maybe a few bad days...

Shame on Prison Planet for making this guy look like a hateful racist! How dare they?
    Last edited by Jaw; 10-25-2017 at 08:17 AM.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jaw For This Useful Post:

goldfly (10-25-2017), sturg33 (10-25-2017)

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    lol. stop being so racist jaw

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    I'll ask again - are the lefties on this board propud of this movement? Or think it's crazy?
    Not sure why you're asking again (and again), when many of these issues have already been litigated by "lefties on this board". I know I personally, at least, have frequently made it known where I sit regarding more extreme and/or inane trends of speech-policing.

At this point, these "inquiries" of yours are just strawmen you can beat upon to further exorcise your frustrations. Moreover, they are a keen example of a neat little hypocrisy: performing that same broad-stroke painting that so roils you when it's done with respect to demonstrations like "Unite the Right" (I'll indulge and call it white power washing), yet doesn't seem to bother you at all when it involves not parsing strains of leftist activity and thinking (but I get it: a monolith is a much more convenient boogeyman).
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

bravesnumberone (10-25-2017), Julio3000 (10-25-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    Not sure why you're asking again (and again), when many of these issues have already been litigated by "lefties on this board". I know I personally, at least, have frequently made it known where I sit regarding more extreme and/or inane trends of speech-policing.

At this point, these "inquiries" of yours are just strawmen you can beat upon to further exorcise your frustrations. Moreover, they are a keen example of a neat little hypocrisy: performing that same broad-stroke painting that so roils you when it's done with respect to demonstrations like "Unite the Right" (I'll indulge and call it white power washing), yet doesn't seem to bother you at all when it involves not parsing strains of leftist activity and thinking (but I get it: a monolith is a much more convenient boogeyman).
    Yes. You have made your position clear. That while male opinions are less valuable than black female opinions.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Yes. You have made your position clear. That while male opinions are less valuable than black female opinions.
    Another famous willful misreading.

Eat **** if you don't want to have a discussion, then. Talk about fragility: the inflexibility of your reading apparatus in recent months has been pretty weak, as has your ability to have any discussion in good faith. The latter, at least, used to be a stronger suit of yours.
    Last edited by jpx7; 10-25-2017 at 11:00 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    Yeah... in this thread we were told a white man having the exact same stance on something that a black woman had would be "woefully selfish"

We were told that people who are complaining about the PC culture are just simply racists

We were told that saying "working men and women" are codewords for racism.

Doesn't it get old?
    I'll re-post this... Three different people shared these opinions.

Not much room for discussion when this is the stance of leftists on this board and in this country.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    I'll re-post this... Three different people shared these opinions.
    I see you'd rather double-down on your intentional mis-reading of my statement than suspend beating your strawmen for a moment, so I'll just repost this ...

I said that a white dude sitting in a room mostly full of white, male faces, and therein complaining about a lack of white, male voices, would be "woefully selfish". I stand by that.
    ---

Not much room for discussion when this is the stance of leftists on this board and in this country.
    For good measure, I'll do a little more re-posting:

Moreover, they are a keen example of a neat little hypocrisy: performing that same broad-stroke painting that so roils you when it's done with respect to demonstrations like "Unite the Right" (I'll indulge and call it white power washing), yet doesn't seem to bother you at all when it involves not parsing strains of leftist activity and thinking (but I get it: a monolith is a much more convenient boogeyman).
    Last edited by jpx7; 10-25-2017 at 11:19 AM.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    I said that a white dude sitting in a room mostly full of white, male faces, and therein complaining about a lack of white, male voices, would be "woefully selfish". I stand by that.

This isn't what you originally said though, is it?

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    If a white guy said it, it would sound woefully self-interested and/or selfish—sort of like a white guy complaining on the internet about what he doesn't "get" to say anymore.

This is the power of promoting alterior and alternative voices: effecting a real diversity that is earnest and earned, not merely assumed or granted by historical structures of exclusion and privilege. As a self-professed lover of competitive, purportedly cream-to-the-top trials-by-market, I'd think you'd have no problem with white men having to re-earn their hereditary seats at the table.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    If a white guy said it, it would sound woefully self-interested and/or selfish—sort of like a white guy complaining on the internet about what he doesn't "get" to say anymore.

This is the power of promoting alterior and alternative voices: effecting a real diversity that is earnest and earned, not merely assumed or granted by historical structures of exclusion and privilege. As a self-professed lover of competitive, purportedly cream-to-the-top trials-by-market, I'd think you'd have no problem with white men having to re-earn their hereditary seats at the table.
    That is, indeed, what I say in the first paragraph you've quoted.

In the second paragraph, I then go on to explore why sturg—a self-reported lover of competition—would be so troubled, anyways, if "white men [have] to re-earn their hereditary seats at the table".
    Last edited by jpx7; 10-25-2017 at 11:30 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts

This isn't what you originally said though, is it?
    Nope. He said if one person says something it's fine, and if another person said the exact same damn line would be woefully selfish

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    That is, indeed, what I say in the first paragraph you've quoted.

In the second paragraph, I then go on to explore why sturg—a self-reported lover of competition—would be so troubled, anyways, if "white men [have] to re-earn their hereditary seats at the table".
    "Promoting alterior and alternative voices" and "effecting a real diversity" don't seem like very competitively egalitarian approaches to me though.
    Last edited by Hawk; 10-25-2017 at 11:37 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    "Promoting alterior and alternative voices" and "effecting a real diversity" don't seem like very competitively egalitarian approaches to me though.
    They very well are "competitively egalitarian approaches" if they're correcting a built-in handicap. We can argue both the short- and long-term efficacy of that specific approach, but they certainly begin with the intent of equalizing a competition heretofore structurally unequal.

Beyond that, though, I think it's also worth noting (within this "gotcha" game you're hoping to mount) that I also clarified that I don't think it's productive, ultimately, for institutions to act so hastily and cavalierly to punish uncomfortable (or even dissenting) voices—noting, indeed, that I actually agreed with sturg regarding his "google guy" cause célèbre.

But, for his part, sturg was so apoplectic over his boogeyman/strawman exaggeration of my "selfish" characterization that he couldn't receive or intelligently respond to any additional discursive inputs.
    Last edited by jpx7; 10-25-2017 at 11:49 AM.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

Julio3000 (10-25-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Nope. He said if one person says something it's fine, and if another person said the exact same damn line would be woefully selfish
    I suppose I shouldn't be surprised by your indifference to thoughtful reading, given that your mind also can't recognize the cognitive dissonance of upholding both (a) that it's outrageous to classify folks attending a white nationalist rally as "white nationalists", because they may have other (potentially distinct) motivations for attending, and (b) that those damn lefties are all the rotten same.
    Last edited by jpx7; 10-25-2017 at 11:50 AM.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

Julio3000 (10-25-2017)

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    They very well are "competitively egalitarian approaches" if they're correcting a built-in handicap. We can argue both the short- and long-term efficacy of that specific approach, but they certainly begin with the intent of equalizing a competition heretofore structurally unequal.

Beyond that, though, I think it's also worth noting (within this "gotcha" game you're hoping to mount) that I also clarified that I don't think it's productive, ultimately, for institutions to act so hastily and cavalierly to punish uncomfortable (or even dissenting) voices—noting, indeed, that I actually agreed with sturg regarding his "google guy" cause célèbre.

But, for his part, sturg was so apoplectic over his boogeyman/strawman exaggeration of my "selfish" characterization that he couldn't receive or intelligently respond to any additional discursive inputs.
    I'm just saying, irrespective of the merits of your approach, that it's not that hard to decipher that you believe one voice deserves 'special' consideration over the other. Sturg ran with it a little, sure, but he's not nearly as off-base as you've portrayed.

The 'competitive' playing field that I'm envisioning is turfed in natural equality (which I thought was pretty implicit with your notions of heredity and re-earning seats).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...=.b67282836f93

Maryland development under fire after selling homes only to Muslims

Then, last year, 46-year-old Faheem Younus, an infectious-disease doctor and an immigrant from Pakistan, teamed up with a different developer to build a retirement community for older Ahmadiyya Muslims, adherents of a branch of Islam who preach tolerance and face repression from other Muslims around the world.

“There are many Jewish, Christian communities — we’re not reinventing the wheel here,” Younus said.

“This will be a community of 49 spacious brand new homes (Villas) for Ahmadi Muslims with a dedicated mosque within walking distance,” read a website this year advertising the community. That language was later removed, replaced with an update that touted an “audio feed from the adjacent mosque” for the daily call to prayer — before that language also was removed.
    Real estate agent Gina Pimentel filed a complaint with the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development last month, claiming she couldn’t get information about the River Run units because Younus was “unlawfully privately marketing and selling only to Ahmadi Muslims.”

In an interview, Pimentel said she is not worried about Muslims living in the community, but about her business. She can’t earn a commission if she can’t sell homes, she said, and she was also concerned that lenders charging market interest rates might be cut out by Islamic rules against usury.
    “It’s not about religion for me,” she said. “My husband’s Puerto Rican . . . do you want to live with 106 Puerto Ricans?”
    Tim Iglesias, a professor at the University of San Francisco who specializes in fair-housing law, said the Ahmadis could be accused of discrimination by “steering” the homes toward Muslims — but Harford County could also face that charge for “treating the development differently . . . because they think that Muslims are going to be living there.”

“This is so complicated it would be perfect for a law school exam,” he said.

Younus will host additional meetings at the firehouse to try to convince the mostly white residents nearby that River Run is not a threat — and that anyone in the community can move there if they wish. Twenty-seven properties, he pointed out, remain on the market.

“This is not an exclusive community,” he said. “The only way you can prove me wrong is to buy a house there.”

Fascinating. I'm not sure why we have a problem with self-segregation, or what that woman's point was with the 106 Puerto Ricans comment.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    I'm just saying, irrespective of the merits of your approach, that it's not that hard to decipher that you believe one voice deserves 'special' consideration over the other. Sturg ran with it a little, sure, but he's not nearly as off-base as you've portrayed.
    It's not even my approach, so you yourself have already read too far when you say "that it's not that hard to decipher that (I) believe one voice deserves 'special' consideration over the other". But I don't think it's an approach without its merits, and I do understand and have some sympathy for its angle—and those two issues are what I set out to emphasize (which is distinct from outright advocacy).

I also understand and sympathize with white men who suddenly feel marginalized by this sort of trend—but much stronger than any understanding and sympathy here is my conviction that that sort of complaining at best is likely to be met with little more than a shrug from non-white, non-male individuals who've been dealing with that sort of marginalization much longer and more intensely; and at worst it represents a pretty acute confluence of historical amnesia, solipsism, and a blindness (purposeful or not) to the ways in which being white and being male still does confer advantages on its holders.

The 'competitive' playing field that I'm envisioning is turfed in natural equality (which I thought was pretty implicit with your notions of heredity and re-earning seats).
    I think there's a strong argument to be made that a "playing field [...] turfed in natural equality" is a nice moral ideal, but practically theoretical until structural inequality is dismantled and discarded. Man is a naturally political animal; we do not exist outside these structures in any politically practical way.
    Last edited by jpx7; 10-25-2017 at 12:19 PM.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

Julio3000 (10-25-2017)