Thread: 2018 Offseason And Targets

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    From the same article:

“The Reds have been the price for Sonny Gray high to this point. The Yankees don’t seek the very top prospects, but the ones just below, Double-A and Triple-A pitchers the Reds prefer not to trade … “

Those pitchers would be guys like santillan, Gutierrez, Mella and Rainey...all FV 45 arms that are much more in line with what makes sense for a Gray return.

Comparable arm from the Braves would be Muller.
    Rainey went to the Nationals in the Roark deal, but I catch your drift.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Interesting take from Kiley and his chat back on 12/19:

Just A Dude: Jeff Francouer said the Braves are definitely in on Harper because he loves Atlanta. Is Frenchy a secret insider or has he smoked too many candy canes?

12:58
    Kiley McDaniel: I don’t think they’re out on anyone, just being cautious to not overpay. If Harper never gets a 10+ year, 330M+ deal, I dont think anyone knows what he’s looking for. Could be 1-year deal with no QO for a contender or 4-5 year deal with a 1-year opt out, back to WSH for whatever they have left, etc. so you don’t know that ATL isn’t the preferred destination if the retail offer isn’t there.

If he can't get his target deal, I suppose its not crazy to think of a one year "prove you're the 10-year once in a lifetime type of FA"

Edit: He'd likely command $40 million or greater for a one year deal, so I'm not saying there's a Braves chance there really but could potentially setup to sign him next year if it looks like a fit
    Last edited by zbhargrove; 12-21-2018 at 11:53 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    From the same article:

“The Reds have been the price for Sonny Gray high to this point. The Yankees don’t seek the very top prospects, but the ones just below, Double-A and Triple-A pitchers the Reds prefer not to trade … “

Those pitchers would be guys like santillan, Gutierrez, Mella and Rainey...all FV 45 arms that are much more in line with what makes sense for a Gray return.

Comparable arm from the Braves would be Muller.
    I'd offer Wentz

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    From Sullivan's article on the Reds/Dodgers trade:

"The Dodgers remove $6.8 million in salary, but $15.8 in taxable salary. Their current taxable payroll projects to around $180 million. They can’t add Bryce Harper and stay under the $206 million tax amount, but they can comfortably add Harper and keep their tax bill to around $2 million. Or they could add Harper and say, Corey Kluber, and pay under $10 million in competitive balance taxes."

They bent over backwards to get under the threshold last year, and they have just made a huge trade to clear room in the OF.

I'd bet money the Dodgers are going to sign Harper.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    I almost think we can remove the + from the equation a this point lol
    I don’t think it was the case that they couldn’t afford Brantley.

I think the issue was they couldn’t afford Brantley in addition to the SP they want to add.

This crusade to add another 2-3 win SP coupled with the push to get Donaldson is really hampering their ability to address LF. At this point we can only hope AA has a series of trades lined up that fixes LF and adds a SP while adding less than $20M to the payroll. Those options are certainly out there.

At this point, I think it’s either a package of Newk/Riley for JTR or Haniger, then the Braves get Gray to replace Newk in the rotation. If they get Haniger they are pretty much done. If they get JTR they will pivot to CarGo or Markakis on a 1 year deal. If this is the overall plan, the most they could have offered Brantley was something less than $15M in 2019, which is why he isn’t a Brave. I’m betting the linchpin to the rest of the Braves off season lies with Grandals signing making the Marlins finally pull the trigger on JTR, which will make the Braves pull the trigger on either JTR or Haniger.

I see no other scenario that doesn’t end up being a pretty disappointing offseason.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 12-22-2018 at 02:13 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    I don’t think it was the case that they couldn’t afford Brantley.

I think the issue was they couldn’t afford Brantley in addition to the SP they want to add.

This crusade to add another 2-3 win SP coupled with the push to get Donaldson is really hampering their ability to address LF. At this point we can only hope AA has a series of trades lined up that fixes LF and adds a SP while adding less than $20M to the payroll. Those options are certainly out there.

At this point, I think it’s either a package of Newk/Riley for JTR or Haniger, then the Braves get Gray to replace Newk in the rotation. If they get Haniger they are pretty much done. If they get JTR they will pivot to CarGo or Markakis on a 1 year deal. If this is the overall plan, the most they could have offered Brantley was something less than $15M in 2019, which is why he isn’t a Brave. I’m betting the linchpin to the rest of the Braves off season lies with Grandals signing making the Marlins finally pull the trigger on JTR, which will make the Braves pull the trigger on either JTR or Haniger.

I see no other scenario that doesn’t end up being a pretty disappointing offseason.
    Seems pretty reasonable. Do you think we have the prospects to smartly get both Haniger and JT without just trashing our system? Or is that just an all out pipe dream?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,974 Posts
    I don't think there's anyway we do Haniger and JTR. We obviously have the prospects, but our system would take a huge hit, especially at the top. With how we like to rotate pitchers now, I can't see AA thinning our depth like that.

In all likelihood, I think AA has a few balls in the air. I think he wants a TOR starter like Kluber/Bauer, but will likely have to settle for Gray or a similar pitcher. We're also in on Realmuto. Possibly still in on Peralta and other LF options. We likely only have the financial means for 2 of those trades.

Just spit balling, but I wonder if we could be trying to orchestrate a trade with Miami where JTR is flipped to Cleveland for Kluber? No secret that Cleveland is looking for a ML offensive piece in a Kluber deal, though they've mostly been rumored to be seeking OF help.
    Last edited by Carp; 12-22-2018 at 04:47 AM.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    I’m still predicting Jesse winkler from the reds. Said it before and say it now with the reds getting puig.

Reds still need pitching. Winkler looks like a 2 war cheap of.

Fits the AA mold of out of nowhere .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    I’m still predicting Jesse winkler from the reds. Said it before and say it now with the reds getting puig.

Reds still need pitching. Winkler looks like a 2 war cheap of.

Fits the AA mold of out of nowhere .
    Plus winkler has some issues vs lh and health so he fits comargo or Duvall as a platoon guy. Play him 115 starts or so.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    I don't think there's anyway we do Haniger and JTR. We obviously have the prospects, but our system would take a huge hit, especially at the top. With how we like to rotate pitchers now, I can't see AA thinning our depth like that.

In all likelihood, I think AA has a few balls in the air. I think he wants a TOR starter like Kluber/Bauer, but will likely have to settle for Gray or a similar pitcher. We're also in on Realmuto. Possibly still in on Peralta and other LF options. We likely only have the financial means for 2 of those trades.

Just spit balling, but I wonder if we could be trying to orchestrate a trade with Miami where JTR is flipped to Cleveland for Kluber? No secret that Cleveland is looking for a ML offensive piece in a Kluber deal, though they've mostly been rumored to be seeking OF help.
    I think what is holding up hangier and jtr is they can’t trade Riley twice.

They have to decide where to spend that chip.

Corner of and catcher does have a musical chairs aspect. Free agents cof are in real danger of running out of spots so you can get them cheap. Marlins are in real danger of nobody needing jtr.

Most ppl have said and hoped we’d overpay for a 4 war of instead of getting an amazing deal on a two war of.

Aa still seems most focused on roi vs total return

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ixiXSolidXixi View Post
    I am kind of upset with Anthopoulos at the beginning of the offseason he say we are set with our infield and he sign Donaldson. We need to upgrade our bullpen, starting rotation and outfield. I starting to believe we go with Duvall or resign Markakis.
    It's December and alot of GM's kinda shut it down before Christmas, calm down. AA will make a couple more moves.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Reds might be interested in ender now.

Winkler and hangier with acuna would be a nasty high upside of cor cheap.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Like Encheff, I think AA has a few lines in the water like Haniger and JTR and he has maybe a few of the same prospects in each offer so he’s having to wait and see who bites first so he knows which direction to go next. I still think we end up with a stud COF that we are all pleased with.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    176 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    Reds might be interested in ender now.

Winkler and hangier with acuna would be a nasty high upside of cor cheap.
    I think I’d hang on to Ender. He’s solid and affordable. Plus we can develop Pache.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,487 Posts
    Jon Morosi

Verified account

@jonmorosi
    Follow Follow @jonmorosi
    More
    Source: Michael Fiers close to returning to Oakland on a two-year contract
    Get off my lawn!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Right now it looks like the Reds are the most logical landing place for Pollock. We need to be patient. If Harper goes to the Dodgers and Pollock to the Reds we could be bargaining from a position of strength as far as corner outfield goes. Plus there is Muk as a fallback option.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

The Chosen One (12-22-2018)

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Right now it looks like the Reds are the most logical landing place for Pollock. We need to be patient. If Harper goes to the Dodgers and Pollock to the Reds we could be bargaining from a position of strength as far as corner outfield goes. Plus there is Muk as a fallback option.
    Reds already have Winker, Puig, Kemp and Schebler, as well as Senzel at some point. I think the Reds go for a SP if anything.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Reds already have Winker, Puig, Kemp and Schebler, as well as Senzel at some point. I think the Reds go for a SP if anything.
    the need a center fielder...they need to execute a two-step...sign Pollock and trade a corner outfielder for pitching...the also have Senzel coming up...so the could also trade Gennett for pitching

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I like the fallback option more and more as each day passes.
    Forever Fredi

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Seems pretty reasonable. Do you think we have the prospects to smartly get both Haniger and JT without just trashing our system? Or is that just an all out pipe dream?
    The Braves can afford it easily in terms of payroll, and who knows which prospects the Marlins or Mariners overvalue. It could happen, and would be awesome, but I have a feeling it would deplete the system too much as you suggest.

Newk plus Riley for JTR, Pache plus 55 pitcher for Haniger, pitcher for Gray to replace Newk. Something like that is feasible, but we know the Braves are hesitant to trade their few position prospects.

I think it’s either one of JTR or Haniger, and then the plan branches from there.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 12-22-2018 at 11:51 AM.