Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,002 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    They view it as something that takes up too much time having multiple pitching changes in an inning. Also, they really did not like what the Brewers did in the post season, having Miley start and face only 1 batter in the first inning, then go to the bullpen

I'm actually like the idea of the DH in the NL...i'm tired of watching guys like Folty go up to the plate and look absolutely terrible...it''s not only stupid, but it is dangerous to the player...bunting has become a practice that most guys can't do anymore...the days of Glavine putting down perfect bunts are gone...

We could use Camargo as our DH this season, but also allow him to relieve guys throughout the season, and we don't have to take their bat out of the line up... mainly thinking of guys like Donaldson and Freeman.
    I'll admit I am a dinosaur, but there's no excuse for having the art of bunting disintegrate the way that it has.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,363 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I'll admit I am a dinosaur, but there's no excuse for having the art of bunting disintegrate the way that it has.
    see, for me, it's mostly pitchers bunting anyway. pitchers bunting is not the least bit exciting. pitchers batting in general is not exciting, for me.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,002 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    see, for me, it's mostly pitchers bunting anyway. pitchers bunting is not the least bit exciting. pitchers batting in general is not exciting, for me.
    It isn't exciting at all. I just can't believe it's just such a lost art.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,889 Posts
    Who has time to practice bunting when trying to squeeze 2 more MPH out of your fastball?

Honestly there is no excuse for pitchers not knowing how to bunt. It's somewhat understandable for position players imo.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    It's time for the DH - has been for several years - unless you're willing to do away with interleague play, both leagues need to be playing by the same rules. Like lots of fans I'd prefer both played without it, but we all know that ain't happening. We've been spoiled with our Roogys and LOOGYs over the years, but Bobby, Fredi, and Snitker haven't generally gone to them just for one guy (although Snit seems to be leaning that way more often recently) so the slowdowns from burning so many Pitchers don't bother me so much since it isn't usually the Braves' fault. I don't think I'd have a problem with a 3 batter minimum rule since it'd be really good for the game to eliminate those people constantly driving you mad with the constant switches. Pretty ambivalent about the roster size changes - I like teams having the opportunity to reward prospects with call-ups at the end of the year but if you have to cut way back on the number of call-ups teams can make to cut down on the endless September pitching changes, so be it.

I've always been in favor of the pitch clock and further limiting the number of mound visits, but that's just me. Can't stand the thought of putting runners on base in extra innings - I've always thought that was a stupid idea. I could definitely live with one trade deadline - if they wanted to move it back a month and simply eliminate the waiver deadline that's fine.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,496 Posts
    This wasn't mentioned in Rosenthal's article, but Passan reports a few things being discussed also includes:

A single trade deadline, which would be prior to the All Star break
    A 20 second pitch clock
    Expansion of rosters to 26 men with a 12 pitcher maximum
    Draft advantages for winning teams and penalties for losing teams
    A study to lower the mound and a rule that would allow two-sport amateurs (Murray Rule) to sign major league contracts
    Get off my lawn!

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,864 Posts
    I’m not a fan of the DH in the NL. What makes National League games interesting is the strategy involved. You can put a dog in the dugout as a manager for an AL team, because he can sit there and not do much of anything because of the lack of strategy. But, because high school and college baseball use the DH, it’s all but inevitable in the NL. Doesn’t mean I have to like it.
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,401 Posts
    Managers don’t play a huge part in the outcome of a game now. Making a pitching change should be based on how the pitcher is throwing. Not how he is hitting. Let the game evolve and become specialized to be able to combat the offensive specialization. I don’t care for the DH either. But there is a compelling argument for it and I am not going to be the guy who thinks the game should never evolve to keep the interest going.
    Coppy

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,002 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    This wasn't mentioned in Rosenthal's article, but Passan reports a few things being discussed also includes:

A single trade deadline, which would be prior to the All Star break
    A 20 second pitch clock
    Expansion of rosters to 26 men with a 12 pitcher maximum
    Draft advantages for winning teams and penalties for losing teams
    A study to lower the mound and a rule that would allow two-sport amateurs (Murray Rule) to sign major league contracts
    I've been advocating this for years.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-06-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,006 Posts
    Yes, please! Inject this in my veins.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,363 Posts
    i don't see how this could be implemented for the 2019 season, tho, this deep into FA. would've potentially changed a lot of team's strategies.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,265 Posts
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

14. The Following User Says Thank You to goldfly For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (02-07-2019)

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,864 Posts
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Buried in MLBTR today---

MLB commissioner Rob Manfred said today at the owners’ meetings that the league is not interested in considering certain union-proposed changes in advance of the 2019 season, as Ronald Blum of the AP reports. In particular, Manfred indicated he is not open to the introduction of the designated hitter to the National League.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,496 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by salmagundy View Post
    Buried in MLBTR today---

MLB commissioner Rob Manfred said today at the owners’ meetings that the league is not interested in considering certain union-proposed changes in advance of the 2019 season, as Ronald Blum of the AP reports. In particular, Manfred indicated he is not open to the introduction of the designated hitter to the National League.
    Sounds like he doesn't want it added until at least the new CBA....I could see it making sense to put it off, giving the NL teams enough time to properly construct their roster.
    Get off my lawn!

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    315 Posts
    Part of the charm in the game when I was young was the difference in the leauges. The DH, the two sets of umps, the mystique of the WS. The two very distinct different styles of play. It was just an all around better game and much more fun. There was pride in your league, with none of this I have two teams bullcrap. MLB should take note from NASCAR and stop making changes to the foundation of the sport. NASCAR has made foundational changes in the last 15 years and it is biting hard now. Instead of bringing more in it has played a role in driving people away.
    Last edited by VirginiaBrave; 02-08-2019 at 07:09 PM.