Page 438 of 579 FirstFirst ... 338388428436437438439440448488538 ... LastLast
Results 8,741 to 8,760 of 11579

Thread: 2018 Offseason And Targets

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,488 Posts
    BTW Lindor just sprained his calf muscle and will be out 7-9 weeks. For our sake, I hope Donaldson left his calf issues in Cleveland
    Get off my lawn!

NL Rookie of the Year CrazyTrain's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    191 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    Would signing Moustakas and Neck plus trading for JTR be better than signing Donaldson McCann and Neck?
    About the same, but on the left side of that equation, we would've still had money to spend on Brantley or Pollock.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,676 Posts
    At the end of January, mish didn't even list the Phillies as a possible team for JTR. Things can change quickly. I don't think we're done

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    191 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    At the end of January, mish didn't even list the Phillies as a possible team for JTR. Things can change quickly. I don't think we're done
    I don't think we are either, but it will be more shopping at the 5 and dime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    I pretty clearly stated I wanted Grandal, Brantley, and then a bargain signing at 3B late in the off season.

As it turns out, my plan would have netted some pretty great value adds.
    The Grandal and Brantley signings cost 33M this year for about 5.5 expected WAR. It is pretty close in terms of value of what AA got. And a more natural fit in terms of positional needs going into the offseason. Grandal does cost a pick. And Donaldson likely will net one. Plus Grandal and Brantley signed much later than Donaldson. It is a fair criticism that AA maybe didn't anticipate what those guys would ultimately sign for. I suspect their initial asks were quite a bit higher, either in years or AAV.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    A little more than funny that everyone's suddenly allergic to commitments for more than 1 or 2 years yet they expect Acuna and Albies to not only continue to perform and even improve over the next 5 years. Injuries can happen to them just as easily as they can happen to anyone else - ask Lindor.
    I try not to blast you the way everyone else does, but you make comments like this and I don't even know what to say.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    BTW Lindor just sprained his calf muscle and will be out 7-9 weeks. For our sake, I hope Donaldson left his calf issues in Cleveland
    So...has Lindor ever had calf injuries. Injuries can happen to ANY player. I will grant Donaldson is a bit higher risk, but not much more than other players his age.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    This is my complaint. You can make a solid argument for standing pat at every spot on last year's team except bench and OF. Markakis was the clear spot where an above average or better starter would have the most effective impact. It's just stunning that the Braves answer was a one year older version of fast declining Nick Markakis.
    I think we'll see Riley or Camargo play a fair amount of outfield for the major league team.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    191 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    The Grandal and Brantley signings cost 33M this year for about 5.5 expected WAR. It is pretty close in terms of value of what AA got. And a more natural fit in terms of positional needs going into the offseason. Grandal does cost a pick. And Donaldson likely will net one. Plus Grandal and Brantley signed much later than Donaldson. It is a fair criticism that AA maybe didn't anticipate what those guys would ultimately sign for. I suspect their initial asks were quite a bit higher, either in years or AAV.
    That's reasonable, but still doesn't excuse falling all over himself to sign one of his buddies. Do you think Josh had other serious offers at the time we signed him?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyTrain View Post
    That's reasonable, but still doesn't excuse falling all over himself to sign one of his buddies. Do you think Josh had other serious offers at the time we signed him?
    Donaldson on a one-year deal for 23M. Who would have passed that up here at that point in the post-season? Let's have a show of hands. I guess we can go back to the Donaldson thread and review.

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,488 Posts
    Donaldson on a one-year deal for 23M. Who would have passed that up here at that point in the post-season? Let's have a show of hands. I guess we can go back to the Donaldson thread and review.
    Difference.....back then we all thought that was one of 2 or 3 major additions....not THE addition...im sure everyone would have felt different if they would have known what we know today.
    Get off my lawn!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanforlife88 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (02-08-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Difference.....back then we all thought that was one of 2 or 3 major additions....not THE addition...im sure everyone would have felt different if they would have known what we know today.
    next time don't listen to Bowman about budgets

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    191 Posts
    Again, in a vacuum, people were excited about Josh, but mainly because blowing that much money on a one year deal usually means subsequent moves are coming to "go for it".

Signing Josh is completely fine if you went out and got a Kluber type and added a quality OF.

Blowing 3/4 of your off season budget on a 1 year rental on a mediocre team just doesn't make sense, unless you want the draft pick of course. It makes even less sense when you really need to determine if your current 3B can continue to be a 3+ WAR player or your "3B in waiting" can catch on if Camargo under performs.
    Last edited by CrazyTrain; 02-08-2019 at 02:06 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    My first two posts in the Donaldson thread:

"So Camargo to the OF or do we still sign an outfielder?"

and

"If Donaldson generates 3 WAR this is a good deal. If 4 WAR or more, it is a great deal.

Given projections, I like it."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    191 Posts
    My first two posts in the Donaldson thread:

"So Camargo to the OF or do we still sign an outfielder?"

and

"If Donaldson generates 3 WAR this is a good deal. If 4 WAR or more, it is a great deal.

Given projections, I like it."
    lol, I honestly would prefer Camargo in RF to Nick. At least Camargo has a chance to be good and as a bonus you can see if he can play there long term while Riley takes over in '20.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    The Braves didn't "wait until next year."

they signed the best free agent who has signed so far.

It's beyond the Braves control what the rest of the division does. That's baseball. So they go into the season with a lot of different quality teams in the division. That would have been the case with Realmuto just as much as it is without him.

I think it is unfortunate that seemingly the whole division is going hard after the first years of the Braves window, but not much you can do about it.

I want them to make moves that are perfect fits rather than overpay for imperfect fits.
    So we have to wait for somebody to give us great value on a perfect fit? What if it doesn’t come? No team is just gonna give something away, you have to give to get. Not everybody is gonna get held hostage in a trade or FA signing.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,488 Posts
    next time don't listen to Bowman about budgets
    After the JD signing, Terry McGuirk said we had enough payroll to make at least 1 significant upgrade
    Get off my lawn!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanforlife88 For This Useful Post:

Jaw (02-08-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    And I did just answer the question...

$23M for JD with Camargo on the roster and Riley in AAA? How is that any different?

Nice attempt at a "gotcha" sig though haha. Go review the context of the comment and Acuna's first half BABIP/OPS numbers. I'll be digging up some boner comment from you now.
    We have a good outlook for 3B for the future, but not in 2019 without Donaldson. Camargo's best role is as a super utility guy and he adds great depth on the bench. Having him as your starting 3B is not as close to the value of Donaldson, which is obvious. And Riley in AAA does not help us right now.

Grandal is not significantly more valuable than a Flowers/McCann combo. So either way you're spending a good chunk of money simply to improve a spot where you're fine right now.

And I'm just playing your game. Find a comment somebody made that wasn't great, and try to rub it in their face forever.
    "Acuna is getting lucky, just like CJ did when he batted .321 and won a batting title. He is unlikely to get lucky at the MLB level over an extended period of time. He will settle in around .300-.320 just like everyone else, and when he does, he won't be within shouting distance of the 1.000 OPS he is posting in AAA...more like low .700s in 2018." -Enscheff 8/25/17

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    I think a lot of teams would've loved to sign JD for one year if they had the opportunity.

I'm as frustrated as anyone about the fact that the team is apparently hoarding both money and prospects, and that Neck Markrapass is going to be the starting right fielder, but let's not take a **** on the one seemingly good move AA did make.

It seems to me like payroll needs to be a lot higher than it is given the team revenues. I haven't delved into the financial statements to see the final numbers, but one of the first items to pop up in a Google search of "Braves revenue 2018" is an article that says revenues through the end of Qtr 3 were over $400 million. One would think that player payroll should be higher than 30% of revenues.

And I hope the team doesn't give us the explanation that our payroll is in line with attendance. We were told that the reduced seating capacity would still result in more revenue due to the abundance of premium seating at STP. The Battery being mostly leased out should also be adding to the team's coffers as well. Again, without a more in-depth look at the financial statements I can't say anything for certain, but it sure seems as if team payroll should be more in the $150 -170 million range rather than being near the bottom of the middle tier.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    In a vacuum, sure. Donaldson adds a big bat to the lineup. I think that's obvious to everyone.

I personally don't think a 1 year deal is a good fit for a rebuilding team at all. Especially when you factor in that we desperately need to know if Camargo or Riley can be the future at 3B when our window is actually open. Let's face it. AA views Donaldson as a draft pick.
    We won the division last year. Obviously that will be tough to repeat, but we're not a rebuilding team. Our window is just opening, but we're still absolutely trying to win now.

Camargo will get plenty of AB this year, and we know he's fine defensively at 3B. We just need to continue to see his bat, and we will. Riley is the future at 3B, but he's not ready and we don't know when he will be. You don't bank on him as your answer, and you certainly don't treat this year as a trial for guys. We're past that stage.
    "Acuna is getting lucky, just like CJ did when he batted .321 and won a batting title. He is unlikely to get lucky at the MLB level over an extended period of time. He will settle in around .300-.320 just like everyone else, and when he does, he won't be within shouting distance of the 1.000 OPS he is posting in AAA...more like low .700s in 2018." -Enscheff 8/25/17