Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Braves sign Maikel Franco to minor league deal

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Only thing I remember about him was the time he hit that HR off Julio that he literally dug out of the dirt.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,920 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    You really need a better handle on the forthcoming roster decisions that have to be made to understand things. You apparently aren't interested in digging deeper, and that's fine - just don't get hacked off when people with a better grasp of the organizational depth chart and the decisions that have to be made try to explain why you're wrong.

To attempt to help clear things up for you...

There will be 14 available 40-Man Roster spots that can be used on guys in the minors and that aren't on the 60-Day IL. Soroka has to be added back to the active roster and can't be put back on the 60-Day before the Rule V Draft during the Winter Meetings. This means you have 13 spots available - and that becomes 12 spots if they decide to keep Dayton to compete with Newcomb for a pen spot. Those 12 spots will be taken up by...

1.) Contreras (assuming he isn't the backup Catcher)
    2.) Touki or Muller (whichever loses the battle for the 5th spot in the rotation)
    3.) Wright
    4.) Davidson
    5.) Newcomb (assuming Dayton is in the pen)
    6.) Camargo (more than likely)
    7.) De La Cruz (who likely transitions to a RP)

That leaves 5 spots - easy, right? Except for the fact that the following players have to be added to the 40-Man Roster this winter if you don't want to expose them to the Rule V Draft...

1.) Waters
    2.) Tarnok
    3.) Lugbauer
    4.) Justin Dean
    5.) Trey Harris
    6.) Nolan Kingham
    7.) Jenista
    8.) C. J. Alexander
    9.) William Woods
    10.) Daysbel Hernandez
    11.) Brooks Wilson
    12.) Jake Higganbotham

Those five spots are very likely going to Waters, Tarnok, Lugbauer, Justin Dean, and Harris or one of the arms. There is literally nothing Franco can possibly do in the next three weeks to be given a 40-Man Roster spot over the winter considering the fact that he might not even have the upside of the other 7 players listed that the Braves could lose when they aren't protected this winter.
    I winced while reading this.
    Ivermectin Man

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,152 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    I winced while reading this.
    For some reason Civ fixates on this every year and we've yet to lose anyone significant in my time here. I don't think we will this year. Many of those guys aren't worth or aren't necessary to protect.

Why would an MLB team elect to carry CJ Alexander on their roster and why would we care if they did?
    Last edited by Southcack77; 09-07-2021 at 12:27 PM.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (09-07-2021), jpx7 (09-07-2021), PawPawMaxwell (09-07-2021)

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    Yeah I don't think it is quite that dire. I would expect at least 3-4 of Newcomb, Camargo, Wright, De La Cruz, Muller, Touki, Davidson won't be resigned and/or will be included in a trade. I expect that Contreras will be the backup catcher. That leaves you with 9-10 spots on the 40 man, and a number of the guys in that 12 man list I'd be perfectly comfortable exposing anyways.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,832 Posts
    Why would Camargo be retained?
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."