Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Braves sign Ervin Santana to 1 year 14.1M deal

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,476 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay212033 View Post
    I'd rather have 2 chances to hit the lottery as oppose to one.
    I'd rather have a rotation that won't include Hale and Garcia all year.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zitothebrave For This Useful Post:

bravesnumberone (03-12-2014), Dalyn (03-12-2014), goldfly (03-12-2014)

On BBA's Top 100 Prospects List PurpleBrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    110 Posts
    If Uggla keeps this up, its going to be hard to give him the battle axe

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    You underestimate Mr. Garcia.

He know how to make pitch. I think he can mentor Julio Teheran, seeing as how Garcia had similar stuff in his prime.
    Forever Fredi

5. The Following User Says Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

Carp (03-13-2014)

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    345 Posts
    I can't believe so many Braves fans are rooting against Uggla. This love affair with a middle if the road prospect in LaStella is baffling.

If Uggla returns to form and mashes it is good for the Braves on the field, as well as gives them a potential avenue to trade him in the offseason and shed payroll if needed and make room for LaStella, who gets additional experience at AAA.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,567 Posts
    LaStella should be a utility player this year if he's not starting.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    345 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    LaStella should be a utility player this year if he's not starting.
    The second half of the season, yes but I'd much sooner see him play everyday and get at bats and work in his horrid defense down in the minors. With Pena already in the roster as super utility infielder it will be tough for him to get any time in the field.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Millwood1Hitter View Post
    I can't believe so many Braves fans are rooting against Uggla. This love affair with a middle if the road prospect in LaStella is baffling.

If Uggla returns to form and mashes it is good for the Braves on the field, as well as gives them a potential avenue to trade him in the offseason and shed payroll if needed and make room for LaStella, who gets additional experience at AAA.
    No one is rooting against Uggla. Just being realistic.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Dalyn For This Useful Post:

AUTiger7222 (03-12-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts

Rooting against? Na.
    Lost faith? Yup.
    I've given up on him, forgive me. I don't see how he could be productive again. I hope I'm wrong. But I think La Stella would be more productive, this season.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to yeezus For This Useful Post:

AUTiger7222 (03-12-2014)

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory ChapelHillMatt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    187 Posts
    I don't understand why people have faith in Upton but not Uggla. At least Uggla walks and hits for power, something BJ didn't do.

That said I hope they both rebound and have great years. I don't have faith in either one of them however.

And I love the Santana signing, love that we have money to cover for a serious injury.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChapelHillMatt View Post
    I don't understand why people have faith in Upton but not Uggla. At least Uggla walks and hits for power, something BJ didn't do.

That said I hope they both rebound and have great years. I don't have faith in either one of them however.

And I love the Santana signing, love that we have money to cover for a serious injury.
    You don't understand, really?
    Surely you can see where we're coming from.
    Uggla is 34, Upton 29.
    Upton has been a productive player more recently.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    Even without Santana the rotation wouldn't have included both guys all season.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,476 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay212033 View Post
    Even without Santana the rotation wouldn't have included both guys all season.
    I'm not optimistic Beachy can stay healthy.

Meaning we'd have

Minor
    Julio
    Wood (on an inning limit)
    Floyd

As of mid may. When Wood needs to be sidelined, and before Floyd comes back.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,567 Posts
    The second half of the season, yes but I'd much sooner see him play everyday and get at bats and work in his horrid defense down in the minors. With Pena already in the roster as super utility infielder it will be tough for him to get any time in the field.
    His defense won't be much of a factor if he's not playing everyday. Another good bat on the bench would be nice.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory Mrs. Meta's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    177 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    How? Santana is probably here for a year.

I don't want go histrionic, I don't think we are a playoff team without making this deal. We maybe aren't with this deal, but with the projected loss of Medlen, we were in trouble.

David Hale? I hope it has come together for him, but this is a guy whose minor league stats are nothing to write home about. Could be a late-bloomer, but I wouldn't bet the house on the guy at this point.

We can all choose our stats K/BB, HR%, WHIP, whatever. Santana is a proven commodity. He's not a perfect pitcher. He would have been signed in December if he was. But again, look at the innings numbers. The guy can eat them.
    Bartolo colon woulda been the ultimate innings eater for us
    "Water seeks its own level, and that will be the case with Francoeur." ~50PoundHead

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,567 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Meta View Post
    Bartolo colon woulda been the ultimate innings eater for us
    We already had Livan. That guy ate way too many innings.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

zitothebrave (03-12-2014)

Playing the Waiting Game BremanFan88's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    216 Posts
    Last year was the first time BJ has ever had such a poor year and has an entire career that says he's not that player so until he shows consistently that it wasn't a fluke then there's plenty of hope he'll get back to normal. BJ doesn't typically hit for a high average either(I don't measure either player by their battling average) but a normal year for him consists of hitting homers, stealing a lot of bases, good walk percentage and playing solid to good defense.

Yes Dan has power and walks but his bad defense and lack of production on the base paths make his low average even more of an issue. When you lack other tools like Dan you have to hope the ones you have are so good they make up for what you lack. Uggla pretty much HAS to hit over .260(which he hasn't done since 2010) to be an impact player.

You're going to think what you want about BJ but he's a 4 tool player who can give this team a 3-4 WAR even if he hits .240. Also BJ walked 10% of the time last season so yes that IS something he did do well. They both have to get their k% back to career norms for them to be effective but Dan has to provide more offense to make up for his defense and lack of base running which is going to be tough since age isn't on his side anymore.
    All you need is Hart and Cox.

Called Up to the Major Leagues AUTiger7222's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts

Really? So we shouldn't have faith in a guy that is still in his prime but should have faith in a guy that is 34 and has been terrible 2 years in a row? Not just that, he hits for power? He had like 3 extra base hits in the last 40 games he played of 2013 and has hit just 19 and 22 homeruns the last 2 years, the only reason he ever made it to the majors.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,747 Posts
    The only thing positve you can say about BJ is that he has no where to go but up. I wonder how many games we win last year it BJ just repeated his 2012 season? 105?
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory ChapelHillMatt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    187 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AUTiger7222 View Post
    Really? So we shouldn't have faith in a guy that is still in his prime but should have faith in a guy that is 34 and has been terrible 2 years in a row? Not just that, he hits for power? He had like 3 extra base hits in the last 40 games he played of 2013 and has hit just 19 and 22 homeruns the last 2 years, the only reason he ever made it to the majors.
    Well if you'll read my post (which you obviously didn't) you'll see I said I don't have faith in either one of them.

Last year Uggla (as bad as he was) hit 22 homeruns. BJ hit 9. I get it, people want to believe in BJ because of his talent and he's still relatively young but the fact is he's always been inconsistent, is lazy, and is coming off one of the worst years I've ever seen a FA have. But hey have faith he's going to all of a sudden figure it out, I wish I was as confident in him as everyone else was. I think he'll be better but I'm expecting 230 and 20/20, not much more.

The popular thing to do on this board is bash Uggla, I just don't get why those same people love BJ so much. I really don't. I personally find both guys frustrating and wish neither one was on our team.

Called Up to the Major Leagues Gary82's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    375 Posts
    Well if you'll read my post (which you obviously didn't) you'll see I said I don't have faith in either one of them.

Last year Uggla (as bad as he was) hit 22 homeruns. BJ hit 9. I get it, people want to believe in BJ because of his talent and he's still relatively young but the fact is he's always been inconsistent, is lazy, and is coming off one of the worst years I've ever seen a FA have. But hey have faith he's going to all of a sudden figure it out, I wish I was as confident in him as everyone else was. I think he'll be better but I'm expecting 230 and 20/20, not much more.

The popular thing to do on this board is bash Uggla, I just don't get why those same people love BJ so much. I really don't. I personally find both guys frustrating and wish neither one was on our team.
    If BJ plays as poorly as he did last year, you'll get your Uggla hate.