Page 52 of 95 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,040 of 1884

Thread: Official Around Baseball 2023 Thread

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    223 Posts
    It almost feels like Ohtani has priced himself out of any market by being too good. I mean, he's two of the best players in baseball. That's unfathomable from a value standpoint. It's like signing Frank Thomas and Randy Johnson at the same time. How do you even price that, considering what all the SS went for last year?

Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    You double it and then perhaps apply a 10% “all your eggs in a single basket” discount. So figure somewhere around $550m for at least 10 years. Some teams like the Padres like to go longer with a slightly lower AAV so figure they may offer something like 13/650.

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,041 Posts
    Been in St. Louis the last couple days for work. Staying across from Busch and going to game tomorrow night. Happy to report Chip Caray still can’t judge a fly ball for ****.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesnumberone For This Useful Post:

buck75 (07-18-2023)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,889 Posts
    Things have changed quickly in the NL playoff battle. Brewers and Dodgers have taken the leas in their division. Marlins, Giants, Dbacks, and Phillies all within 1 game for 3 WC spots. The media darling Reds are 2 games back after the Brewers swept them.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,496 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Things have changed quickly in the NL playoff battle. Brewers and Dodgers have taken the leas in their division. Marlins, Giants, Dbacks, and Phillies all within 1 game for 3 WC spots. The media darling Reds are 2 games back after the Brewers swept them.
    Thought the Padres were going to make a run but they are 8 back of the WC
    Get off my lawn!

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,401 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    yep, the Mutts and Friars have a harder road to get back in this.. not only do they have a lot of ground to make up on those teams wupk mentioned.. they have to worry about the Cubs and them playing in a weaker division. I doubt any of those 3 teams make it honestly. And I am ok with that.
    Coppy

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,889 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    Anything is possible but they look done. Same with the Mets. Hate to see it.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,889 Posts
    So Ohtani is currently on pace for 61 homers. Will the Angels move him in the middle of a HR chase? Their owner seems to care more about making money than fielding a good team. So I doubt Ohtani gets traded at this point.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,006 Posts
    Anything is possible but they look done. Same with the Mets. Hate to see it.
    The Braves would really benefit from one (or two) of Hader and Snell. They may get outbid for their services, but either or both would be massive. I'd prefer Hader the most.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Knowing the Padres GM, he’ll probably double down and start buying for 2024

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,002 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WaitingFor2017 View Post
    Knowing the Padres GM, he’ll probably double down and start buying for 2024
    I've been reading a few trade-deadline pieces from various publications and no one seems to be able to get a read on what Preller will do. Common sense would lead one to believe he'd at least move Snell and Hader (I think for the Braves to land either, the conversation would start--and likely end from the Braves' perspective--with Smith-Shawver), but Preller seems to be a guy who is convinced that his approach has been valid (which is the case with most GMs) and that he's not going to dismantle the team at this point. I think you've right in that if he chooses to move Snell and Hader, he's going to want guys who can contribute in 2024 or flipped for guys who will contribute in 2024.

Curious what the Braves will do. A lot of talk about looking for another starting pitcher, but as I posited above, most sellers will be looking at Smith-Shawver in the asking price and given long-term pitching needs, I don't know if the Braves would even consider moving him. Grissom in the other guy who probably constitutes value in the eyes of a particular seller or two. Push comes to shove, I'm thinking a couple of lesser moves: a mid-level LH reliever and a back-up IF (preferably LHH).

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,350 Posts
    I'll assume Shuster will be back when we need someone to replace Allard.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,006 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Garmel View Post
    I'll assume Shuster will be back when we need someone to replace Allard.

No thank you

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,006 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I've been reading a few trade-deadline pieces from various publications and no one seems to be able to get a read on what Preller will do. Common sense would lead one to believe he'd at least move Snell and Hader (I think for the Braves to land either, the conversation would start--and likely end from the Braves' perspective--with Smith-Shawver), but Preller seems to be a guy who is convinced that his approach has been valid (which is the case with most GMs) and that he's not going to dismantle the team at this point. I think you've right in that if he chooses to move Snell and Hader, he's going to want guys who can contribute in 2024 or flipped for guys who will contribute in 2024.

Curious what the Braves will do. A lot of talk about looking for another starting pitcher, but as I posited above, most sellers will be looking at Smith-Shawver in the asking price and given long-term pitching needs, I don't know if the Braves would even consider moving him. Grissom in the other guy who probably constitutes value in the eyes of a particular seller or two. Push comes to shove, I'm thinking a couple of lesser moves: a mid-level LH reliever and a back-up IF (preferably LHH).
    I don't know that the Braves will go SP unless they get incredible value given Fried should be back soon. But I think they should go hard after quality RPs - one for sure, probably two. This is a win-now push, don't be an idiot but definitely make moves out of your comfort zone.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,889 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    I don't know that the Braves will go SP unless they get incredible value given Fried should be back soon. But I think they should go hard after quality RPs - one for sure, probably two. This is a win-now push, don't be an idiot but definitely make moves out of your comfort zone.
    Agreed. Only way I target a starter is if Fried has a setback while rehabbing or one of Morton/Strider/Elder go down in the next couple of weeks.

Fried/Strider/Morton/Elder is a great rotation going into the playoffs. Braves have a big enough lead in the division and enough AAAA arms to fill that 5th spot to care too much about it.

The pen on the other could use another dominant arm or two. Lineup is stacked and no need to do much there.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,401 Posts
    Agreed. Only way I target a starter is if Fried has a setback while rehabbing or one of Morton/Strider/Elder go down in the next couple of weeks.

Fried/Strider/Morton/Elder is a great rotation going into the playoffs. Braves have a big enough lead in the division and enough AAAA arms to fill that 5th spot to care too much about it.

The pen on the other could use another dominant arm or two. Lineup is stacked and no need to do much there.
    If a Gio or someone like that falls into your lap, then I would take it... but I think most would agree, Braves really need two BP arms that are reliable enough to be high leverage.
    Coppy

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,889 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Reds are +26 in Run Differential since they promoted Elly De La Cruz on June 6. For anyone still doubting them, I think it's pretty safe to say that they are legit.
    Welp. Reds are in freefall and Elly has a 107 WRC+ with a staggering 400 BABIP. Let's not crown them just yet.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,889 Posts
    To piggyback off my post from above. These are the dangers of an extreme strikeout rate no matter what other tools you possess. 32% K rate won't get it done no matter what else you are doing. And to think there was a pretty vocal crowd trying to get him to the all-star game based on a few highlight reels of the course of a month of games.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,401 Posts
    To piggyback off my post from above. These are the dangers of an extreme strikeout rate no matter what other tools you possess. 32% K rate won't get it done no matter what else you are doing. And to think there was a pretty vocal crowd trying to get him to the all-star game based on a few highlight reels of the course of a month of games.
    He should have been at the all star game. If baseball ever wants to grow, they have to hitch their wagon to these stars... even if they flame out in less than a year. He was hot and must see before the all star game. pimp that moment and draw fans in to watch. Baseball needs to drop the whole every team needs a rep. just get the most exciting players and have fun with the game. Make it where teams can trade players in the middle of the game... don't make it another boring baseball game.. make it different and fun.

When that dude switched hit in the HR derby, that was awesome. It was the only part I found even remotely interesting. I was bored and turned it off somewhere in the semi finals because it was just dudes taking batting practice. If ManDick is about gimics, then why is he not doing them in that contest. Jesus, so many opportunities. put targets in stands that give extra points or wins a fan something. Hit 4 in a row, everyone gets to kick Mandick in the nuts.. there are endless gimics.
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,350 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    If ManDick is about gimics, then why is he not doing them in that contest. Jesus, so many opportunities. put targets in stands that give extra points or wins a fan something. Hit 4 in a row, everyone gets to kick Mandick in the nuts.. there are endless gimics.
    That would be a popular gimmick. lol